PDA

View Full Version : Trials Garage Update #1: UGC

UbiSkyBear
04-20-2017, 02:50 PM
Trials riders, start your engines it’s time for the first Trials Garage Update. As we discussed last week (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1630753-Trials-Garage-Introduction), an important aspect of our plans for the future of the Trials brand involves expanding on the close relationship we have with our players that has been a big factor in the success of the Trials series. Each month we will discuss a different topic about Trials in order to gain more insights on our players feelings and better understand their preferences. This month’s topic? User Generated Content (UGC).

Each month, in addition to this Trials Garage Update article we will also have a new edition of our Trials Garage Radio podcast where we go a bit more in depth on our topic with the people behind the scenes. This month’s Trials Radio podcast can be found on our Soundcloud (https://soundcloud.com/user-951041428)profile as well as linked a bit later in this article.

The final element of our monthly updates is a survey. These surveys will help us gather more information on what you think about our topic. This month’s survey (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/VSCBDNX)asks questions about playing, creating and sharing UGC.

We <3 Community Creators

Custom tracks have been a huge part of Trials for a long time now. The immensely creative community of builders is inspiring and the incredible amount of talent out there is undeniable. We’ve been very impressed with a lot of the work we’ve seen and as a result we have hired a number of builders from the community to work with our level team.

Hiring talent from the community is nothing new for Trials & RedLynx. Ever since Trials HD when community builders like KatamariUK & CannibalShogun were brought on to work on DLCs, the majority of our level design teams have been builders who started out creating custom tracks in one of our games. Some older community hires like DJ2witchy, mutetus, DragonMICKY, KALzzone, Loot Monkey & murderbysound remain in the mix but of course that’s just scratching the surface. If you are a fan of custom tracks these new names are ones you are sure to know; Kailiman, ObsceneFreak, Tekila, Rishaanvb, Monstified, Coupain Gotier, FG-312 & the always impressive PneumaticBog484 are all working with our level team.

http://static2.ubi.com/pxm/TrialsFusion/TrialsForums/ForumPosts/TrialsPhoto1.jpg

How we choose who to work with is not as simple as identifying who makes the best tracks on Track Central. We start with a list of top notch builders from the community who are then contacted about the opportunity. Next we give these candidates test assignments. There are two primary things we look at with these assignments. First is the ability to build great tracks based on the directions we provide. The other is the ability to work with our team. Level designers need to be able to take feedback on their work and apply that feedback to improve their tracks.

These test assignments are done in Trials Fusion so this month we’ve got a special treat, a collection of really great custom tracks in Fusion you can play right now. Try them out for yourself in the Community Recommended feed.

http://static2.ubi.com/pxm/TrialsFusion/TrialsForums/ForumPosts/test-tracks-screenshots-v2.jpg

This month we sat down with two community members who have made the transition to the RedLynx Level Design team. RishaanVB & ObsceneFreak will share some of their experiences moving from community to RedLynx builders on our first Trials Radio podcast. We also talk with Producer Mickaël Godard (also known as En0) to give us some insights on the development process.

http://static2.ubi.com/pxm/TrialsFusion/TrialsForums/ForumPosts/podcast-image.jpg (https://soundcloud.com/user-951041428/trials-garage-radio-1-en0-rishaanvb-osbscenefreak)

Track Central

Introduced in Trials Evolution, Track Central is the hub of custom track sharing in Trials and an industry leader when it comes to in-game UGC distribution. While we do consider TC to be among the best custom content platforms in gaming it doesn’t mean we don’t see room for improvement. In fact continuing to improve TC is very important to us.

We’ve seen from previous games that around half of our players never play any custom tracks. With so much amazing content available on TC this is something we’d like to improve. Our primary goal with TC is to make it more accessible for all players. In plain terms this means we want to make it as easy as possible for players to find great content that fits their play style. We have many ideas for ways to achieve this including streamlining the feed system, finding better ways to display content & creating some meta game around UGC creation and usage.

http://static2.ubi.com/pxm/TrialsFusion/TrialsForums/ForumPosts/TrialsPhoto2.jpg

One thing that can help us focus our plans is good feedback from awesome people like you. We already have a lot of great suggestions for TC and the editor on our forums but one thing we always have to do when looking at new features or improvements is prioritization. We can’t do everything we’d like to. In order to ensure that we focus on features that will have the biggest impact for the most players we need to get feedback on all aspects of UGC from as many players as possible. This month’s Trials Garage Survey is all about creating, sharing & consuming UGC in Trials. Please be sure to complete this survey to have your opinions heard.

http://static2.ubi.com/pxm/TrialsFusion/TrialsForums/ForumPosts/survey-image.jpg (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/VSCBDNX)

Track Editor

The track editor is a complex beast. Those of you who use it know its power and complexity. This is a key element of the success of Trials brand. It enables our own team to build amazing levels and it enables our players to feed Track Central with insane creations. So it is highly important for us to keep improving our main tool. We have a lot of improvements we are looking at but there is one highly requested feature from the building community that we are specifically looking at for now: implementing Scalable objects!

http://static2.ubi.com/pxm/TrialsFusion/TrialsForums/ForumPosts/TrialsPhoto3.jpg

Another request we hear from members of the building community who like to collaborate on tracks is the ability to use the editor with multiple users over a network. We have talked about this type of feature a lot, unfortunately implementing some type of multiplayer in the editor is an extremely large and complex task. There are many features in a Trials game that require a lot of time from our online coders & engineers so another huge feature like this is outside the scope of a Trials project (for more about how we set priorities and why we can’t do every great idea check out our interview with Mickael Godard on this month’s Trials Radio podcast (https://soundcloud.com/user-951041428/trials-garage-radio-1-en0-rishaanvb-osbscenefreak)). We do recognize that some builders like to work in teams. While we don’t have any solutions to share right now it is something we are thinking about when we discuss potential improvements to the editor and track sharing.

Another very important aspect of the editor is objects. Probably every track builder has that one object they really wish they could use in their tracks and we want to know what they are. In this month’s Trials garage survey there is a question about your most wanted object in the editor. Obviously we can’t create every object our players suggest but we might be able to include some of them in a future iteration of the Trials editor. Be sure to take this month’s survey to share your views on UGC in Trials and let us know what object you’d like to see in the editor.

http://static2.ubi.com/pxm/TrialsFusion/TrialsForums/ForumPosts/survey-image.jpg (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/VSCBDNX)

That about does it for this month, riders. Tune in next month when we’ll introduce a new topic for discussion and share some insights from this month’s survey and discussions.

SeniorNecky
04-20-2017, 06:06 PM
Some requests for new features in the editor:

Add more objects from Trials Evo, either directly ported form Evo or in the style of Evo objects but with fusions better resolution of textures. E.g. concrete objects, creates, wooden planks, metal ramps and barrels.

Make it so the the emission of an object can be linked to a variable data source.

Make it so for objects with multiple colors, every color can be changed.'

Make it so for objects like a pipe (from the Fire In The Deep DLC) you can change the color of the emission as well as the color of the actual pipe.

And yes being able to change the size of objects from 50% - 100% - 150% would be cool but just make sure the texture scales with it :)

XDoubleXA
04-20-2017, 06:12 PM
Yasss!!

mattshotcha
04-20-2017, 06:48 PM
Just wanted to pop in here and say hello and congrats to some of the stellar community members now working with the level team.

I recognize the names from my time on Trials and remember seeing their amazing Track Central creations come through many Community Recommended sections and Tournaments.

Congrats, again. And high five to the Trials team.

StormPsykoz
04-20-2017, 06:58 PM
Damn this seems really promising. That's actually a feature I never really thought about, yet kinda wanted it.

That said, I got a couple questions : Is the object scaling feature going to be implemented in Fusion ? Or is it planned for future projects ?

And is the scaling set to only 3 measures (50%-100%-150%) ? Or will we be able to choose any measure in that threshold ?

Ozy Be
04-20-2017, 07:11 PM
:) Awesome stuff, hope this all comes together good and helps make the best trials ever :)

Did my best with the survey, look forward to next months and hopefully more glimpses into where we are all headed :D

NSP_I_VeNoMz
04-20-2017, 07:16 PM
PogChamp! Looking forward to future podcasts and future garage instalments

I'd really love to see a little 'poster' style picture at the side of the podcasts so we can put a name to the faces.
I've had the pleasure to meet Shogun, En0 and Rishaan, but I don't think I've met ObsceneFreak.

Not that it matters much but there's a type on ObsceneFreak's name on the soundcloud.

Thanks,
Seb

P.S. Shogun's voice fits Radio so well :O PogChamp

IBlubbiI
04-20-2017, 08:58 PM
Nice Podcast guys! some pretty interesting stuff in there :)

Did my best on the survey even though i barely every build tracks, maybe shogun remembers my "entry" for the comfy ending building competition Kappa :P

booped
04-20-2017, 09:31 PM
I thought rishaan's track output had dropped off a bit :)

congrats

TheSlimReeper
04-20-2017, 11:01 PM
Congratulations to those who have recently joined the Redlynx team. I wondered where some of them have gone. :D

Morfyboy
04-21-2017, 04:38 AM
Great read and very well written I thought Skye. A huge well done RL. Great interaction tool. :>

gerble72
04-21-2017, 08:29 AM
Hi everyone just want to say I enjoyed listening to the podcast yesterday and look forward to seeing what the new and old members can come up with for the new trials game. I have a feeling the next trials game is going to be awesome

Psyhodelik
04-21-2017, 10:13 AM
Excellent first Trials Radio, can't wait for the next one ^^

Eevan80
04-21-2017, 11:58 AM
I thought rishaan's track output had dropped off a bit :)
I thought something similar.. :)

Congrats Rishaan, i'm happy for you, well deserved - and thanks for the interesting insights RedLynx.

Surrur
04-21-2017, 12:35 PM
I can answer to few your questions.

Make it so for objects with multiple colors, every color can be changed.'

Make it so for objects like a pipe (from the Fire In The Deep DLC) you can change the color of the emission as well as the color of the actual pipe.

1st
Every object has only one BW mask what we use for coloring. White part of the mask where the color is applied. So usually we put the rust and details on the black part. This means we can only colorize the white part of the mask and the rust parts wont be colorized. There is a way to invert the mask and colorize the black parts, but this means that the rust parts will be colorized also which results in bad quality.

So having 2 separate colorizable is harder to make look good especially if you have details on it.

2nd
Every object is using 1 material or should be because we dont like unnecessary draw calls. We can choose that material has emissive feature but it just means we add emission map for it. Emissive map is just a grey value map which tells what parts of the model are emissive. But the color still comes from the diffuse map (which we can colorize with masking). This comes back to the first point. In order to have coloring for emissive parts they would need to be on the white part of the mask.

So either we color emissive parts with the same color as the object or we give it a color what we cant change.

If there is a object what we dont want to colorize, then we can mask only the emissive parts.

SaneThe Legend
04-21-2017, 07:04 PM
Awesome Stuff guys maybe I should build my ultimate track with hundreds of animations stuff ! But I love building 3D world more !

mrjorts
04-21-2017, 09:47 PM
Really cool interviews on the podcast. I'm looking forward to hearing more.

One thing I'll say on the editor objects topic is that I think it's cool to assemble a wish list to see what objects are the most requested, but I think it will always be important to be able to re-envision the objects in the editor to fit your theme, and that was one of the biggest differences between Evo and Fusion for me. In Fusion all the objects were smooth and glowy and futurey in a way that was hard to work around. Objects in Evo were more "generic", but they didn't draw attention to themselves so it gave track creators more freedom to make subtle suggestions if they wanted the track to feel one way or another.

To add to the scaleable parts idea, which is really useful, I think it would be neat if primes could be parameterized in more ways, like being able to put a length and separate diameters for each end of the part so that cylinders could become cones and squares could become pyramids of different dimensions. Kind of like the Kerbal Space Program Procedural Parts mod, if anyone is familiar with that.

Hairy Cabbage
04-21-2017, 10:16 PM
Hi,

There's a few things that i would like to see with the editor in the new game. Scalable objects was one of those things, but it looks like you guys already have that one covered (and it looks tasty) so il move on to the other suggestions.

Upload "Beta" Period

Something that has always annoys me with tracks, especially the more complex builds, is the ease at which mistakes can be made and the hoops we have to jump through to rectify them without making a mess out of our personal track central feed. The process of having to post on the forums and wait for a real live person to remove the track etc is such an out dated method and could EASILY be much more streamlined.

What i'm suggesting is applying a beta period once a track is uploaded to track central. The beta period will last for a specified amount of time (1 week or something) and will have a countdown on the track central feed tile to show players how much time is left in the period. Within this period, the track will act as any regular track has done in the past for all players, however, the creator will be able to remove the track at any time up until the period runs out. This will be useful for allowing players to live-test more complex map and offer a very effective method to fix mistakes without having to post on the forums and wait for someone to manually remove it or add a suffix like [FIX] (or [re-fix], [re-re-fix] (you know who you are)) which will just spam your personal feed with unwanted broken tracks.

One of the main reasons i would imagine people are not allowed to simply delete their own tracks in the past is because of the potential that many people may have spent a lot of time shooting for high scores etc., and i think this suggestion will completely remove this issue as people will be able to simply wait until the beta period is over until they fully commit to a track.

Online Skillgame Capabilities

Since the days of evo, we have had the ability to create multi-player skillgames, but have never really had any motivation to do so, as they are significantly more difficult to make and have a much smaller audience due to a lot of us being proper loners :). Also, the ability to play single player skillgames in a similar manner to the way a regular trials race works online currently.

I probably don't really need to go unto much detail for this one, so to put it simply, it would be nice if we could play the multi-player skillgames online. I have no idea about programming or whatever, so i have no idea how much of an undertaking this would be to implement, but it would be nice to see a revitalised skillgame feed like we had in Evo, and i feel allowing players to not only play single player skillgame online in a VS style way like a regular trials race, but also to play Multiplayer skillgames online.

Online Coop Editing

As far as absolutely game changing additions go, this is the one. Forget about adding some new gimmicky bike and S**t like that, THIS is what the game really needs to step into the next generation (and probably should have been implemented in fusion over FMX). Like i said above, i have absolutely no idea how hard something like this would be to implement, but my god would it be worth it.

Please don't take this as disrespect, but after Redlynx studio was picked up by one of the absolute gaming giants, Ubisoft, and a large increase in size, i personally expected big things from fusion prior to its release. I can honestly say that you guys didn't deliver for me personally. With a lack customisation compared to Evo, missing Online, Etc. etc. (the list does go on), i was wondering where all of these extra resources were actually going. It seemed like you guys actually produced better content BEFORE being picked up by a giant, and really it should be the other way around.

With that being said, the next trials game is your opportunity to show us what all of these resources can really do, and that means NOT shying away from the big updates that people actually want to see, no matter the difficulty of implementation.

Now to most people, i probably don't need to explain how absolutely insane this feature would be, but in case you are sitting there thinking "why the hell would i want them to spend time implementing this. I don't even use the editor!", i will explain it anyway. Think about all of the insane tracks that people build on this game. Now think about if a group of those builders were able to work together live at the exact same time on a single track. Not only would the release speed of high quality tracks increase significantly, it could also act as a training platform for top tier builders to mentor new/bad builders, creating more top builders to produce even more high quality tracks!

As far as new features go, THIS is the one that will have me going crazy.

UGC Logic/Grouping Sharing System

We have the ability to share tracks (obviously), but how cool would it be if we also had the ability to share smaller creations like logic strands or a group of objects (aka custom build objects).

There are some builders out there that have the amazing ability to combine objects to create completely new objects, sometimes to the point where its hard to even tell what original objects were even used. A Grouping database, similar to the track central database would allow people to upload groups of objects so that lesser creative builders have access to the crazy custom objects that currently only a small few people possess the ability to create. Similarly, the ability to share grouped logic chains would help those who have no idea where to start with logic (or those lazy people who don't even try).

These new group shares would allow more players to create higher quality content for the entire community to enjoy. Im sure there are many people out there with amazing skillgame ideas etc. that don't possess the knowledge to actually create those ideas with the current logic in game. This would allow people to create what was once destined to locked in their imagination.

Online economy Using In-game Currency

Its no secret that the currency in Trials fusion was basically a complete waste of space. Simply playing through the game casually would give FAR more money than was actually needed to buy all gear. What i am proposing here is that we actually put that money to good use.

The first method i am suggesting to utilise this currency is allowing players to sell their custom objects/logic (assuming the above suggestion becomes a thing). Players would be able to set a price to sell their objects/logic for, as well as adding a number of units available if they want to add some exclusivity to the objects.

The second new use for currency would be tips. Tips can be given to builders after completing UGC tracks. If you feel a track was something really special, you can tip the builder for their hard work, potentially helping that builder in the future as they will be able to spend the money on custom objects etc.

Finally, currency can change hands in 1v1 or 2-8 player Multi-player. Players can wager a decided amount of currency on the result of an online multiplayer, be it a 1v1 winner takes all or a 3+ player party where each player puts in a set amount and the top 3 players take a cuts at the end.

I feel like by adding more use to currency in game, you will be able to get a lot more value from it, and will be able to offer more expensive customisation objects that wouldn't necessarily be viable from casual game play. This offers more incentive to use tools such as the editor, even if it is simply to create custom objects to sell and not actual full tracks. And of course, it offers serious bragging rights then u become a beastly tycoon on trials. :)

Split A/RT and B/LT Logic Inputs

Fairly self explanatory. Simply offer separate input logic for these inputs to use in skillgames. Sure, its possible to split them using logic, but it requires fairly in-depth knowledge of logic and it FAR more complicated than it needs to be to the point where a lot of people that could be utilising it cant because they don't know how too. Also, splitting them is inaccurate so if that isn't a good enough reason to do it, i don't know what is...

Voxel-Style Land Transformation

Not sure if this is the correct name for what i'm asking, but basically, the current terrain modification is outdated and WAAAY more complicated than it needs to be. Its so annoying to use in fact, that a lot of people simply avoid even using the ground at all so they don't have to worry about it.

It would be very nice if we were able to use a terrain modification tool similar to the likes of Planet Coaster and Project Spark (rip). Not only does this make it far easier to create the ground shames we want, but it also allows us to create ground that currently isn't possible with the current system (overhangs etc.).

UGS Track Challenges

I saved this one until last since i remember hearing a while back on one of the trials live streams that the new game may not even include track challenges at all, so it may be a little redundant. However, i was a huge fan of track challenges on Fusion, and i think it would be a real shame for them not to make the transition to the next game (especially if S**t like FMX does make the jump).

As someone who absolutely LOVES creating nice little easter eggs and stuff in my tracks, i always wished that we had the ability on Fusion to add custom track challenges into our tracks. Some people may argue that you can already do this using logic etc, and to that i will gladly tell them to gtfo. :) Its not even comparable. first of all, its not final. Trying to compare challenges that unlock to something that resets the second you end the track is just stupid. Secondly, the level of logic knowledge required to actually implement such a system from scratch (as well as the time it takes) is FAR greater than simply having a single logic tile dedicated to track challenges (which is how they work in single player levels). This is one of the reasons there's only a hand full of players currently creating their own system. Its simply not worth spending the time (and potentially learning) to create a full system that just resets it's self once the level ends anyway.

Track challenges allow the more creative builders to add so much more depth to their tracks outside of simply just finishing the track. Its a shame we didn't have custom track challenges on Fusion given how easy they are to implement with a single logic event. It would have been a case of a slight UI change on track central and not much more... A bigger shame however, would be if we lost one of the only good new features that Fusion bought to the series without it having been used to its full potential.

Sorry for the huge wall of text. I get very passionate about the games i love! <3

ZZZZZZach
04-21-2017, 11:13 PM
There needs to be a new (or at least refined) rating system to track central. The more difficult a track is, the more it's hurt by dislikes. If someone makes a difficult ninja track, all it takes is 1 dislike to completely ruin its rating due to the current algorithm.

KnockoffNate
04-21-2017, 11:31 PM
UGC Logic/Grouping Sharing System

We have the ability to share tracks (obviously), but how cool would it be if we also had the ability to share smaller creations like logic strands or a group of objects (aka custom build objects).

There are some builders out there that have the amazing ability to combine objects to create completely new objects, sometimes to the point where its hard to even tell what original objects were even used. A Grouping database, similar to the track central database would allow people to upload groups of objects so that lesser creative builders have access to the crazy custom objects that currently only a small few people possess the ability to create. Similarly, the ability to share grouped logic chains would help those who have no idea where to start with logic (or those lazy people who don't even try).

These new group shares would allow more players to create higher quality content for the entire community to enjoy. Im sure there are many people out there with amazing skillgame ideas etc. that don't possess the knowledge to actually create those ideas with the current logic in game. This would allow people to create what was once destined to locked in their imagination.

Good presentation of your ideas there Jonny. I was going to suggest this one too. I make music using the logic and would love to be able to share that to others who could use it in their creations!

KnockoffNate
04-21-2017, 11:35 PM
There needs to be a new (or at least refined) rating system to track central. The more difficult a track is, the more it's hurt by dislikes. If someone makes a difficult ninja track, all it takes is 1 dislike to completely ruin its rating due to the current algorithm.

This is a must for me, i made a thread about it a few weeks back, over on the main forum... really don't like the current rating system at all.

yarivpa
04-22-2017, 07:40 AM
Hi all !
I totally agree with the jonny's ideas to make the in game money usefull. The ability to share some custom objects would be really cool ! Some people (like me) are not so good at building entire track with a good drive line, but are loving to build decorations and atmospheres. Sharing custom objects and codes is a very nice way to collaborate on peoples tracks !
Another thing, it would be great to have some pre created "humans" easier to animate. I really don't have idea of how it should work for now but it would be great to build the zombie track i always wanted to ;)
Scalable objects is the best feature we all need, but it would be better if the size is connectable to a data source !
Thank anyway to ask us what we want, it's not so often in the actual gaming system !

VEGASTRASH
04-22-2017, 08:23 AM
My 2 cents, plus 3 for Track Central:
Jonny had some great well thought out points. I particularly liked the custom object depot...where players can trade in game currency for items/logic chains.
I've spent a "little" amount of time in track central, so this a good topic to expand on for me.
Track Central is the heart of the game to me, as echoed by the initial post here. Implementing more of it into the game is a great idea by the developer.
The glaring thing I come back to in TC is the rating system. Evo seemed much more balanced with the occasions "Don't Move"/"Impossible Stairs" making it's way to the top. We forget that the majority of ratings, especially within the first year come from casuals. Most who can't appreciated a quality line or well done themes, etc. I've said it before, but will reiterate it again. Track Central could very much use moderators...much like a forum. You can isolate the true trials builds vs. floating object hacked up uploads. All tracks would be viewable, but what I'd consider a real trials track...to other sections. Here are a few bullet points...to avoid a further ramble:)
-You can implement the ability to block certain creators.

-Upload limits that are more realistic and actually impact the amount of spam on TC (2 tracks a week....MAX) Any good builder will usually never upload more. (this does 2 things...limits spamming, increases quality of overall tracks. If you know you're allowed 2 per week...you will probably put more time in on a build to make it count)

-A stronger system (as mentioned first) Decor rating 40% Driveline 40% Addictive quality/Fun factor 20%. This takes all of 5 seconds to rate. If someone can't take 5 seconds, they don't care much about ratings to begin with. You will have more true ratings.

-All track object should be accessible for season pass holders...decent selling feature? (if possible to create objects at once...unrealistic, I'm sure...tinfoil hat status?)

-Scalable objects...keeping textures scaling with them...beautiful

-Track "testing feed" similar to what Jonny said. A timed upload, lasts 2 days...with a way to leave constructive feedback

-Sounds funny but...fewer feeds. Top week, top month, 48 hours, recommended. Unlimited custom feeds sure. Friend favorite feed.

-Easier to use animation...similar to an After Effects timeline. Choose point A, choose point B...time from A-B. All done with prompts or inside ONE window/tile. Easier said then done, I'm sure.

-It was mentioned in the initial post as being perhaps too time consuming, but a multiple person editor option...2-3 people building at once...or at least a way of allowing people on your friend list to access the same track on the cloud (probably the easier route?)

-Video tutorials built right into the editor. I think Evo used a youtube link and Fusion did something else, but why not have it directly in the editor. I can see many going in, then never going back.

Last one and slightly off topic...for RL weekly streams speaking about the picks of the week, etc. Why not have a 10 minute constructive critique segment? Many tracks are quite good that don't get picked...maybe site specifically what issue were found with tracks high on the feed and were not picked? This could be a positive thing for new builders to the game.

Eno had some good things to say. We all want what is best for the game, but when you're an armchair quarterback like myself...you just don't see the time involved in carrying out certain things. It's easy to say...just make the pig fly, team reply: ok, that will cost X amount and take 3 years:).
I hope the open conversations here will help the future release. It would be great to know roughly how far into development the game is, but I suppose it's irrelevant to the topic.

Rudemod 69
04-22-2017, 09:49 AM
TC is what I love the most about Trials. This is a great Garage feature by RL, and interaction between developers and community can only help future titles.

Congrats to all the guys hired by RL.

@Trash, irrelevant but yes, it would be great to know. :D

yarivpa
04-22-2017, 10:42 AM
I just wanted to add something :
For the primary objects, it would be great to get the possibility to change the textures. the white base is nice , but it would be lot better if we could aply different textures like metal, rusted metal, concrete, old concrete, wood, etc...
this would be perfect for creation of custom objects !

onesimpleclik
04-22-2017, 11:42 AM
I just wanted to add something :
For the primary objects, it would be great to get the possibility to change the textures. the white base is nice , but it would be lot better if we could aply different textures like metal, rusted metal, concrete, old concrete, wood, etc...
this would be perfect for creation of custom objects !

Nice idea, this would be pretty awesome.

Surrur
04-22-2017, 05:42 PM
Really cool interviews on the podcast. I'm looking forward to hearing more.

One thing I'll say on the editor objects topic is that I think it's cool to assemble a wish list to see what objects are the most requested, but I think it will always be important to be able to re-envision the objects in the editor to fit your theme, and that was one of the biggest differences between Evo and Fusion for me. In Fusion all the objects were smooth and glowy and futurey in a way that was hard to work around. Objects in Evo were more "generic", but they didn't draw attention to themselves so it gave track creators more freedom to make subtle suggestions if they wanted the track to feel one way or another.

To add to the scaleable parts idea, which is really useful, I think it would be neat if primes could be parameterized in more ways, like being able to put a length and separate diameters for each end of the part so that cylinders could become cones and squares could become pyramids of different dimensions. Kind of like the Kerbal Space Program Procedural Parts mod, if anyone is familiar with that.

Currently only uniform scaling is doable in the game engine. The engine doesnt go that far you could scale then to any direction as much as you want. Every object in the game is made from 1-70 collission boxes. Those collissions objects may be boxes, cylinders, spheres or cones. The boxes you can scale to any XYZ direction but if you scale any other it will brake. Meaning that if you scale sphere into ellipse form, it will still be a perfect sphere.

Calculating physics is heavy, but keeping them in simple shapes as box, sphere or any other with object which uses π for creating the form makes the calculations easier.
So even if sounded easy to make cylinder into cone, it would brake the physics and there isnt any support for it in the game engine editor.

Scaling is still super awesome and the LD guys love it. But there are other stuff what makes the engine better

Ryphyz
04-23-2017, 01:35 PM
Currently only uniform scaling is doable in the game engine. The engine doesnt go that far you could scale then to any direction as much as you want. Every object in the game is made from 1-70 collission boxes. Those collissions objects may be boxes, cylinders, spheres or cones. The boxes you can scale to any XYZ direction but if you scale any other it will brake. Meaning that if you scale sphere into ellipse form, it will still be a perfect sphere.

Calculating physics is heavy, but keeping them in simple shapes as box, sphere or any other with object which uses π for creating the form makes the calculations easier.
So even if sounded easy to make cylinder into cone, it would brake the physics and there isnt any support for it in the game engine editor.
I think it would be a nice compromise to allow complex scaling but locking the physics type to deco-only as soon as you do it on an object. When using objects with more complex collision boxes in the driveline, it is usually necessary to smooth it out with custom collisions anyway. So having this option for pure visual purposes while shaping the collision manually would be just fine.

Anyway, some great suggestions already. I will try to limit myself to one additional suggestion, which I think would be a better solution for the beta/test feed stuff and for general feed improvement:

Grouping tracks and applying a status/type flag to each track within the group that can be changed by the creator post-release.

Possible status/type flags:
Main version (= either initial version or later uploaded fixed version)
Obsolete (= status of initial version after upload of fixed version)
Difficulty variant (= for example easy version of a ninja track or vice-versa)
Fragment (= single CPs of a ninja track)

This can cover several use cases: "beta" period (set initial version to "obsolete" after fixed version is uploaded), easier access to different versions of a track, avoid spamming the feed when a bunch of single CPs are uploaded... maybe more.

Only the main version (and maybe difficulty variants?) are shown as a tile in the feed and in search results. You can access the rest of the group after navigating into the tile/item.
Obsolete versions do not have to be deleted anymore, but collect dust at the bottom of a group, while they can still be accessed by anyone if they want to, for example for comparing it to the fixed version or looking at the old leaderboard and replays or whatever.
You can only set a track to obsolete when/after uploading a new main version.

Being able to delete tracks (not everyone is an experienced creator and will necessarily use that feature reasonably) or not being able to manage tracks after release at all can become messy, and I think it could be avoided if this gets implemented properly (good usability in regards to publishing, feed, search function etc.).
I'm not in favour of an explicit "beta" status since it might encourage casual builders to spam unifinished stuff right after placing the first ramp.
If there is an upload limit/cooldown (maybe a more strict one as suggested by Vegas) it should only affect new individual tracks/groups, not variants. So people who want to spend the weekend uploading "viper on rocks" part 1-10 can still do it but need to group them as fragments so the feed stays readable.

Example:

MyNinjaTrack (group)
MyNinjaTrack FIX2 (main version)
MyNinjaTrack FIX (obsolete)
MyNinjaTrack (obsolete)
MyNinjaTrack +CPs (easier version)
MyNoobTrack (even easier version)
MyNinja CP1 (fragment)
MyNinja CP2 (fragment)
MyNinja CP3 (fragment)

StormPsykoz
04-23-2017, 06:21 PM
^ While this seems like a good idea, I strongly doubt such a feature will be implemented, because few people actually build ninja tracks, and even fewer people will probably use this feature since it mostly applies to high-level ninja tracks. Besides, it also seems pretty complicated.

Most of those "few" people that play ninjas just want to play ninjas. They don't really care about any clarity. And to be honest I wouldn't want to go through groups or whatever to find a track I want to play.

SaneThe Legend
04-23-2017, 07:20 PM
I Totally Agree with ZZZZach 1 Dislike & it decks your overall rating to 50% drop decrease, it should be evened out between score ratings & The Ninja category is fine maybe adding a Ninja level 1 - 7 TAG would solve this problem & have a clean menu, Since I only create 1st person modes which 99% of other creator don't do I really can't complain if i find a stupid bug within the editor that's really bad, With my really high editor skill i usually another way to replicated but not as good, so i'm good maybe having a resize function increase & decrease in a new section like object variation, under that in advanced properties like different size variations or a on the fly vector scaling system, but i don't know how it's how to effect to vertices or ployees of the current assets or model render from ether program, maybe an wide range update for little adjustments & little added functionality & new models would help ! Since i'm a video game indie developer i know my way around this area, I'm currently developing my own video game too. But I will always love the trials engine :cool:

Ryphyz
04-23-2017, 08:53 PM
^ While this seems like a good idea, I strongly doubt such a feature will be implemented, because few people actually build ninja tracks, and even fewer people will probably use this feature since it mostly applies to high-level ninja tracks. Besides, it also seems pretty complicated.

Most of those "few" people that play ninjas just want to play ninjas. They don't really care about any clarity. And to be honest I wouldn't want to go through groups or whatever to find a track I want to play.
I just explained it too complicated :(
My main point is that builders should be able to manage up-to-date and obsolete versions of their tracks post-release to address the same thing as with betas and test feeds suggested by others, while not losing earlier versions that people may have grinded already etc.
I just used ninjas as an example since the grouping approach could be used for that in addition.

Ozy Be
04-23-2017, 10:32 PM
I think an easy way around a beta testing scenario for ugc tracks would be to use a "beta" tag in the way the "ninja" tag is used and would put those tracks into a dedicated beta feed.

Ideally a beta track would then be held from showing up in a creators search feed somehow (that would be the only tricky/extra coding part really?)
Or an automatic or timed removal could be figured out somehow I reckon

If uploading a beta/test version I'd imagine it would only be uploaded to gain certain info from certain individuals and it's presence in a beta feed could easily be communicated manually.

But best to keep them out of regular feeds altogether imho.

The_McCheshire
04-23-2017, 11:07 PM
Haven't been on here in a long time. :eek:

But once a trials player, always a trials player ;)

I'd personally love to put my own little addition in the UGC section by suggesting the ability to import our own track editor assets into the game itself (PC only, unfortunately) and have the ability to upload said assets to a track central style database! Now of course this is highly ambitious ontop of all of the UGC that is already present, but sometimes I feel that the pre-defined objects can't quite nail that desired look within a track.
Being an motivation deprived game development student, this would also personally give me the oppertunity to flex my asset creation skills!

Love to here what you guys think :)

UbiSkyBear
04-24-2017, 03:12 PM
Is the object scaling feature going to be implemented in Fusion?

Unfortunately we cannot implement a scaling feature in Fusion as it would impact many aspects of the game with some pretty big consequences. For example, the subtle impact it would have on the physics within levels would be enough to break every replay in the game.

Is the scaling set to only 3 measures (50%-100%-150%)? Or will we be able to choose any measure in that threshold?

The image is just an example of a scaled object. The goal with the feature is to allow users to scale objects freely.

Thank you. This type of feedback is something we are thinking about. It’s important to us to provide a wide variety of objects so that builders of all skill levels have the tools they need to bring their ideas to life.

This is a very interesting suggestion. We will be happy to discuss the possibilities with our 3D team.

Ryphyz
04-24-2017, 04:45 PM
Some smaller suggestions for the editor:

Extra buttons / Change bike while testing

LB/RB = cycle checkpoints = great
D-pad up/down = cycle drivelines = rarely necessary
But for testing with different bikes, you must quit testing, navigate to the laggy bike selection, restart testing... I wish that was easier.
Option 1) Use D-pad up/down to cycle bikes instead (only if loading bike models is really fast, otherwise cycling through them will be annoying)
Option 2) Open a bike selection menu while holding a button (or D-pad down) - for example when pressing B you reset to checkpoint as usual, but when holding B for half a second a circular bike selection (like a "weapon wheel" in action games) comes up and I can quickly select a different one with the right stick, then reset to the checkpoint with a different bike.

Default bike

Currently we only have the option to allow several bikes and players will default to the last bike they used before loading our track, or we allow only one bike to enforce it.
It would be nice to be able to allow several bikes, but define one bike as the default one.
For example, I would like to release Rabbit-tracks but still allow players to use the Viper if they hate the Rabbit. But currently nobody will look for the Rabbit if the Viper is allowed and selected by default.
Also please don't default to the Roach as test bike in the editor when I am building a track where it is not even an allowed bike...

Confirm allowed bikes

When publishing a track, medal times are displayed on the final screen to make sure you didn't forget to set them.
Do the same with the list of allowed bikes to make sure we didn't forget to uncheck impossible ones we never tested.

Hairy Cabbage
04-24-2017, 05:26 PM
no response to any of my suggestions? :(

XXXSTEPH59XXX
04-24-2017, 07:48 PM
Very good ideas were proposed by the members, one would need that another system of notation of track I like, I like not.
I think that would be needed a system of notation of tracks as Trials Evolution.
For the part(party) editor he(it) would be interest to be able to modify the color of clouds and stars.
This could inspire creator's large number on the atmospheres of their tracks. :)

xntr1cs
04-26-2017, 11:05 PM
First congrats to all people that got the honor to work for redlynx and Rishaanvb in perticular as his advice was always helpfull and honest.

For suggestions i think most has already been said as for myself i would love to see a feature that allows to put reverb and delay effect on every sound we want.
And if i can do some wishfull thinking adding a lowpass/highpass filter and an ADSR envolope would be icing on the cake but even just a reverb would allow for lots of different atmospheres to be created.

UbiSkyBear
04-27-2017, 04:33 PM
Thank you for all of the suggestions so far. We continue to share them with the teams to determine what is possible. This is a process that can take a lot of time so unless it’s something that we’ve already discussed and have an answer for then we won’t be able to respond to many individual suggestions, at least not quickly. We did see a few things we can respond to now though:

Online Co-op Editing
A few of you mentioned this and it was touched upon in the article and the podcast. This type of feature is simply too big. Sadly, we do not have the time or resources to develop co-op track editing. However other features that could help players collaborate have been discussed. Along with some of the other suggestions you’ve all made here we have some other possibilities regarding creative collaboration.

Track Challenges
The level of logic knowledge required to actually implement such a system from scratch (as well as the time it takes) is FAR greater than simply having a single logic tile dedicated to track challenges (which is how they work in single player levels).

There is no magic challenge tile in the editor that builds challenges for you. All of the in-game challenges in Fusion are built using the same logic tools you all have in the editor at home. The only difference is the final step which tracks the challenges out of the track. If your challenge is to find some hidden objects, for example, you still need to build the logic that recognizes when you’ve found an object and keeps track of how many you found. Even if we are able to add a challenge-feature for UGC tracks, the builder would still need to create the logic to support that challenge.

In-Game Economy
This is a very big and complex topic but improving the in-game economy is something we are conscious of. However, since this impacts much more than just UGC then it will have to be a topic for another day. What we can say now is that we have to be very careful about how we allow players to transfer in-game currency between each other. If any aspect of the system is open to abuse it could easily negate any effort we make to improve the in-game economy. It’s a lot to think about, and we’ve had many ideas, so expect to hear more on this later on.

Lastly, we’d just like to mention that we see a lot of suggestions here that have been discussed in the past. A few are even features that at one time or another were in the plans for previous Trials games but had to be cut. Thank you again for all of your suggestions and your incredible passion for Trials.

Hairy Cabbage
04-27-2017, 10:56 PM
There is no magic challenge tile in the editor that builds challenges for you. All of the in-game challenges in Fusion are built using the same logic tools you all have in the editor at home. The only difference is the final step which tracks the challenges out of the track. If your challenge is to find some hidden objects, for example, you still need to build the logic that recognizes when you’ve found an object and keeps track of how many you found. Even if we are able to add a challenge-feature for UGC tracks, the builder would still need to create the logic to support that challenge.

I know that, What i meant was there is a single event tile that you basically trigger when a player completes a challenge. Without this, players have to basically build their own interface on top of the already required logic for the actual easter egg. There aren't many people who can do this, and even most of those who can (like myself) have no interest in doing it when it offers only a local challenge. You may use the argument that there's no difference, but in the mind of the player, someone is FAR more likely to be interested in a challenge that is saved and trackable over some little local challenge that is removed the second they leave the track.

That being said, you didn't completely shoot down the idea of track challenges in the upcoming game, so maybe there is hope...

Ryphyz
04-28-2017, 10:06 AM
I totally agree with Jonny. It makes challenges way more interesting if they can be checked off and persisted as part of your track performance, like for the in-game tracks in Fusion.

For example, I implemented a recurring simple challenge of finding some hidden objects in some of my early tracks, cramped the challenge description into the track description, and my logic turned some lights from red to blue at the end of the track. Nothing too exciting, but a nice addition. However, I cannot see whether people actually cared about it, because replays with challenge attempts are hard to find and usually already overwritten by faster runs without challenges, and then I lost interest in adding these extra gimmicks at some point.

So the ideal solution would be to store an additional replay whenever a challenge is completed, available from the track leaderboards in some way, along with the information what challenges the player has completed across all runs.
But any minor steps in that direction that can be implemented with less effort would of course also be welcome.
Idea for an "economy solution": A little icon next to the medal on the leaderboard that is added when a "challenge completed" logic tile was triggered (or a variable increased or something) during the run.

Impact-XD
05-01-2017, 10:22 PM
I would like to see an Audio slider for the motorcycles.

There are so many amazing tracks where the background sounds (Sirens, storms, explosions ect...) over power the sound of the bike. I often turn the audio off to grind a track but I really want to hear the bike.

We have audio sliders for Music and Sound FX, So could we have one for bike engine sound?

One more thing.

If the Cat from Awesome adventure makes it in the next game, please let him ride the Donkey :P

*Edit*
It would also be nice to see an option to turn off checkpoints.

KnockoffNate
05-06-2017, 02:09 PM
I would like to see large background images similar to the 'earth horizon' in the last dlc. For example, it could be: rolling countryside hills, a swamp, farmyards, desert, clouds, caves, coast lines etc... we could place the background image and then build out to it, making it all tie-in with the overall theme of the track.

You could, of coarse, still build you own background if that's what you enjoy, But i think it would be useful and save time.

To go one step further, it would be even more useful if we had a few variables in the image to change, such as colour and emission.

Znakemaster
05-14-2017, 08:44 AM
I would like to see an easier beginner friendly way to snap objects together. Like say you want to connect ramp segments together, these are already designed to fit together so it would save time and be allot easier to design a track using these and similar items if certain things could snap together quickly.

This isn't for track building, but for private multiplayer id really like to have the option of having the game pick out 8 random tracks with a choice of what difficulty they should be. Like if you want the game only to randomly pick 8 medium and hard tracks.

Additionally a mode where 16 tracks are chosen randomly, with the same option for difficulties and the riders then vote on the tracks, just like ranked online mode, but for private matches.

Rudhelm
05-25-2017, 05:22 PM
Two of my wishes: Enhance the search and filter function in TC... it's horrible... even worse than altavista.com ever was...
Give the user an easy way to recommend tracks to his/her friends.

onesimpleclik
05-26-2017, 05:11 AM
Where is Trials Garage Update #2?

NoMoreHats_
05-28-2017, 07:22 AM
OK, I'm just going to throw some suggestions out there in a semi random fashion before I forget about them.

Pointlights with dynamic shadows.

This would be extremely useful for creating realistic lighting in a track and since T2SE has had this type of effect, I think its a must for the next game.

OPE delay slider

If there is no way to fix the delay of the vector object info data source, I would like to have a slider in the OPE that allows you to delay the movement of the targeted object so you can compensate for other OPEs that do use a VOI data source. Would make most key frame animations much easier to make

Separate wind amount sliders for clouds and plants

Right now its not possible to control the two independently which leads either to time lapse clouds with good looking wind effect on the plants or not moving plants and normal clouds. The shadow movement of the plants should also be effected by the wind amount because currently shadows of plants are still moving quickly even when the wind amount is 0!

All rock/stone objects having variations for every "biome"

It would be really useful if you could just select rock objects by shape and change the variation to whatever texture you need for your track theme (Normal, Icy, Mossy Stone, Sandstone, Lava rocks, Cave walls). Especially for the rock plates and monoliths this would be very handy.

Cross hair pointer for effects

Instead of having a large yellow box with obstructing text for effects, it would be much better if the yellow icon was raised slightly above the effect. The spawn/pivot point of the effect should then have a small cross hair instead, (similar to that of a dummy object) to allow for accurate placement.

Show/hide function for dummy object, physical connections and glue tool

Similar to the previous one it would be good for dummy objects etc. to be more accurately placeable. The easiest way to achieve that I think, would be to have a show/hide check box for the yellow/white box surrounding each of the tools, so that it just leaves the 3D cursor that is displaying the different axis of the tools.

Being able to separate light sources from checkpoints etc.

Basically something similar to extract function but for lights to make them independently placeable. This would be especially useful for the starting checkpoint since there is no other way to have a color changing light before the countdown. The same thing could work with having a visibility check box for checkpoints but that would have less customization options.

Speaking of customization. More than one design for checkpoints!

It would be nice to be able to choose from every CP type out of each of the Trials games (including TBD). Also some new variations would be neat. Rustic, Modern, Futuristic/holograms, motocross gates.. Basically some things can't be done with custom checkpoints so variations would help.

Animated Fabric

I know there were plans for Fusion to implement animated cloth/fabric and it wasn't possible but it's still something I would love to see for the next game.

Custom signs

A few blanc signs that can have custom dialogues and instructions written on them. Basically like signs in most sandbox games.

If I have more random ideas, I'll update this post :)

Surf-tiki_TFG
06-02-2017, 05:21 AM
-A stronger system (as mentioned first) Decor rating 40% Driveline 40% Addictive quality/Fun factor 20%. This takes all of 5 seconds to rate. If someone can't take 5 seconds, they don't care much about ratings to begin with. You will have more true ratings .

I am a huge fan of a better track rating system in TC. Even a 1-5 rating system would help weed out tracks that were just ok, not terrible enough for a crap rating but not good enough for a platinum rating!

I ShinFenix I
06-27-2017, 04:20 PM
Pinglew has had a very good idea on twitter for the track central : Maybe you should create a verified track builder section on the new trials with the same system we can see on twitter or youtube with the verified account

IImayneII
07-12-2017, 06:23 PM
Please make sure the editor is working properly, or keep not working features out of it. For multiplayer tracks, there were several features not working as intended, wich you had to make ridiculous workarounds for to get them to work.

Link to the thread I made about this:

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/978195-Multiplayer-Editor

NoMoreHats_
10-01-2017, 09:30 PM
I know I've said this on the stream already but the forums are more permanent;

Since you have animated versions of the new RedLynx logo, animated billboards or TVs with the logo on would be pretty cool for the editor.
Same goes for Ubisoft and perhaps a few fictional companies. Basically the same as in Blood Dragon :o

MetaIGear
03-31-2018, 03:49 PM
Since UGC is so hugely important it would probably not be the worst idea to provide players with the option to use a standalone version of the track creator. Be it as a browser version of the track creator that will also end up in the actual game or as a standalone version that can be download on each platform (and ideally with an optimized UI on PC - I mean properly - like any engine editor).

That would also give you the ability to release said Track Editor before month(s) the release of the game and have people create custom maps so that by the time the game releases people will already be able to enjoy an array of UGC - said editor can always be updated with new assets and such after the initial release.

Because quite frankly one of Fusions biggest issues was that when it launched, for months Trials Evolution was far and away the better game - due to content, much of which was UGC.