PDA

View Full Version : We Need Frame Data

JayyRupp
04-20-2017, 04:35 AM
It's not even debatable. You can't master ANY fighting game without it. Sup Ubi?

kweassa1917
04-20-2017, 08:02 AM
It's not even debatable. You can't master ANY fighting game without it. Sup Ubi?

No kidding.

If they can't release ALL of the data, I'd appreciate it if they at least clarified the guard/attack stance change frame issue.

I do have a pretty good speculation why they wouldn't release the data though.

Draghmar
04-20-2017, 08:37 AM
I do have a pretty good speculation why they wouldn't release the data though.
And why you think they wouldn't?

kweassa1917
04-20-2017, 08:54 AM
And why you think they wouldn't?

1. Intellectual property
-- Honestly, I dunno why, but most commonly, developers just hoard whatever in-game info there is and just refuse to share it on certain grounds that its IP. Conversely, it's also possible that the devs themselves want to share this information, but "guys upstairs" won't allow it for such reasons.

2. Combat "purism"
-- Oooh, the history of this one goes way back. Ever since 3D fighting games with a more "realistic" approach appeared, there have been certain schools of thought that argued "too much information into frame data will lead to the game becoming more mechanical, a simple repetition of predetermined 'optimal' responses to everything, rather than allow players to have their own intuition, feeling, creativity." In a way it's true. Sometimes, if too much specifications are known, then everyone comes to memorize every "optimal response" to a situation and repeat that. Some of the devs might be in this school of thought.

3. Laziness
--A lot of gamers think developers always have a clean, organized set of information all nicely prepared in *.DOC and/or spreadsheet, ready to be viewed and analyzed in a look, but in reality a lot of game developers just have information, but it's not prepared, optinized, documented in any clear and literary fashion. Many times, some of the data is known only to some developers, while others know about something else, and when they're asked to present data to the public, it actually means extra work. It's funny, and perhaps hard to understand, but game development is often a lot less organized than you'd expect. So... it's one of those things you react like "oh maaaaannnn..... do we have toooo??" ...when you are requested. Everyone has one of those at their job. :D

NickyNoNeko
04-20-2017, 11:34 AM
During warrior den stream they said they won't share any frames data because of "intern politic reasons".

That being said, several players has already done some frames analysis, you'll find them on the subreddit competitiveforhonor

Alustar.exe
04-20-2017, 11:44 AM
I'd also like to see more statistical information on my own performance. Overall kills/deaths/assist executions performed, successful guard breaks/counters. Maybe something showing overall damage from combos?