PDA

View Full Version : Any reason this community is so toxic?

Deus-Vult..
04-19-2017, 12:46 AM
I played during the alpha and I had a good time but now that the game has come out I have learned that the community has become increasingly toxic and all around *******s. I just wanted to know where everything when down because it seemed that it wasn't as bad in the alpha but now every game I get into just has the biggest *******s. I'm starting to see why so many people are leaving.

CoyoteXStarrk
04-19-2017, 01:01 AM
Because its a competitive online multiplayer game.

Herbstlicht
04-19-2017, 01:03 AM
Leamme guess - PC?
Counter example: last night, i went into a few games, one that was extremely unfair towards my opponent he just tried out Kensei). Well, i did write him something afterwards, little later we were in Voice, playing some practice matches that ended with a few Overwatch matches due to those two chatty women in the channel. After realizing my aim was too bad - or maybe just searching for an excuse to go back to For Honor - i met the next one to form up with soon after. Was one fun evening.

PS4 btw, we can't flame in chat.
And i don't play a top-5 Hero. Some people hate you just for playing Peacekeeper. And I too won't speak to any of those PK or lame****-abusing people, but guess those folks know it anyway, so I take my beating and move on. They will soon be nerfed - or at least this is what i tell myself to help me with this kinda losses

Herbstlicht
04-19-2017, 01:05 AM
Most good players are well mannered when loosing (most of the time, at least). Because when you get a hold on yourself, you are more likely to stay focused on whats important and have a better time doing so while doing so better - simple as that.

CoyoteXStarrk
04-19-2017, 01:43 AM
Most good players are well mannered when loosing (most of the time, at least). Because when you get a hold on yourself, you are more likely to stay focused on whats important and have a better time doing so while doing so better - simple as that.

Thats true.

But thats not what he asked. He asked why the community is toxic and that is why.

SirRegisKeg
04-19-2017, 02:07 AM
I played during the alpha and I had a good time but now that the game has come out I have learned that the community has become increasingly toxic and all around *******s. I just wanted to know where everything when down because it seemed that it wasn't as bad in the alpha but now every game I get into just has the biggest *******s. I'm starting to see why so many people are leaving.

You are accustomed to the fighting game scene? It's where acceptional players and losers exist together, the ones who act like that either are jealous or they're trying to piss you off your game, stay focused

Dude_of_Valor
04-19-2017, 10:40 AM
Good question and the reasons are many. I think what causes a lot of rifts is when someone complains about x and want change, however in reality they just need to improve their actual gameplay, because removing/nerfing x does not make one a better player.

This in turn causes people to come with the response 'get gud!' and thus a rift starts and people become toxic.

For example:

I fought a Shugoki last night. 1st round I have him almost dead, only for him to GB and swing his club. I fly for what felt like miles and fall off a cliff to my doom. However instead of loosing my cool and then running to the forum to complain, I know I can beat this class and proceed to do that, whilst being more acutely aware of my surroundings.

DrExtrem
04-19-2017, 10:58 AM

Except its not really competitive.

But being a multiplayer online game is enough there days.

Gray360UK
04-19-2017, 10:59 AM
What Coyote said.

The levels of salt generated are directly related to how personal the defeat feels, and in For Honor it feels very personal, morseo to anyone with a fragile ego or too much pride. Accepting defeat graciously is a rare thing these days. Having said that, people were raging at my Rogue for killing them from stealth / before they could recover from stun and demanding I meet them outside Ironforge for a 1 vs 1 over 10 years ago, while also wishing my mother to die of cancer / me to die of aids and so on ... so it's nothing new.

Frappenstain
04-19-2017, 11:21 AM
Because peoples are don't know what is playing game. They call themselves as gamer(!) and invest all of their time for playing. But they don't know they are not gamer anymore but a worker. They are investing the main hours for the game which it's much more valuable when you chill and relax or work. Gaming becomes part of their lives and when it become competitive, that makes it important above all. Because for that person, Gaming= His art, his reason of beeing. This fact pushes them to their limits, puts their nerves on the edge. When they lost, they rage because someone is better than him, his hardworking is for nothing. He "expects" to win, not deserves. Thats why i hate "Gamer" occupation. Peoples taking too far. It has to be end. It's just a game...

Halvtand
04-19-2017, 11:25 AM
I have often wondered about this myself. I played in many of the early tests and found the community to be quite nice. Sure, there were a number of people who would try to get a reaction, as well as the good old "nerf"-squad. But over all people were optimistic and sharing. I think the big turn came when the game went full release (or possibly the open beta), obviously it attracted a bigger crowd, a crowd that wouldn't normally play swordfight simulators, who hadn't played Jedi knight, Mount&Blade, Chivalry, Kingdoms rise, War of the roses and vikings, or any other games in the vague genre i haven't mentioned.

Long story short, a crowd that didn't necessarily see it as a new way to show how great you are at swinging swords, but rather just another competative multiplayer game. And competative multiplayer games are meant to be won at any cost. The difference in mood and toxicity can easily be seen if you visit the official forums for Mount&Blade and Call of Duty.

The good, nice players are still here. and can be spotted on the forums and in the game from time to time. I've had many great encounters with people, and talked about the game and how each of us could get better. I think this game will only get better with time as that type of crowd will move on to the next hot thing and leave the dedicated players who just wants to bash skulls all day long. Sure, it's a small community, but people are still playing and modding Jedi knight. We are dedicated.

Alustar.
04-19-2017, 11:27 AM
What Coyote said.

The levels of salt generated are directly related to how personal the defeat feels, and in For Honor it feels very personal, morseo to anyone with a fragile ego or too much pride. Accepting defeat graciously is a rare thing these days. Having said that, people were raging at my Rogue for killing them from stealth / before they could recover from stun and demanding I meet them outside Ironforge for a 1 vs 1 over 10 years ago, while also wishing my mother to die of cancer / me to die of aids and so on ... so it's nothing new.

God I remember those days. I knew the first time I saw PK she was going to get that same kind of hate and she doesn't even have any stuns or real from stealth abilities.

And yet I STILL had some guy get pissed and want to 1v1 me here cause I got a lucky execution on him a few times.

Capoupacap
04-19-2017, 11:43 AM
There are lot's of reasons for my advice:

First of all, lot's of choice in gameplay mechanics offer player to play with "honor" or not. I'm sure you have been pissed of like everyone of us by a PK, shugoki, conq etc that was abusing from a one shot type mechanics. FH is very addictive and this point make these behavior less acceptable :) But it's just about a game and some people won't accept it. In this case dev responsibility is a huge debate ;) Division has suffer from exactly the same situation.

Secondly, biggest issue of the game, especially rage quitting make the whole community at the mercy of few lame player that don't accept that a loosed match can teach you a lot.

You have so a difficult to balance game mechanic with very frustrating issue in the hand of the whole words, heroes and rogue :)

Charmzzz
04-19-2017, 01:00 PM
I'm a PK Main and I get offended in probably 1/3 of Matches. Even if I use the whole kit, deflect into light, sidestep heavy into light, feints, heavy cancels into gb / sidestep, I'm still a light and zone attack spammer. Those people themselves are often using the flicker glitch or do the bash vortex on warden all the time. My only response to those people is "Mhm, tasty salty tears, I like them!".

Mostly they ragequit after that and I continue with an offence-free Match. ;)

Jokes aside, any game in the history of games (yes, I'm speaking of something like Dodgeball, playing with marbles, Chess or Mahjong) has had Ragequitters and sore losers. Mankind has always been a "competitive" race by genetics, that is why we are the dominant creature on earth right now. Just get over it, ignore the people who do not have control over their rage and use it to beat them.

Edit: PC, blocking / parrying a PK is not that hard on this platform. I do it with a 70%+ probability and I'm not even good...

CandleInTheDark
04-19-2017, 01:46 PM
And i don't play a top-5 Hero. Some people hate you just for playing Peacekeeper. And I too won't speak to any of those PK or lame****-abusing people, but guess those folks know it anyway, so I take my beating and move on. They will soon be nerfed - or at least this is what i tell myself to help me with this kinda losses

Yeah you want to see hate mail messages I get on xbox,and I am one of those who don't use the cheap spam

CandleInTheDark
04-19-2017, 01:48 PM
I'm a PK Main and I get offended in probably 1/3 of Matches. Even if I use the whole kit, deflect into light, sidestep heavy into light, feints, heavy cancels into gb / sidestep, I'm still a light and zone attack spammer. Those people themselves are often using the flicker glitch or do the bash vortex on warden all the time. My only response to those people is "Mhm, tasty salty tears, I like them!".

Yup throw more than one light at once you get omg spam. Use the whole kit and let them bleed out you get cheap as ****, like maybe they would have preferred the spam? We can't win.