PDA

View Full Version : What To Do Against Valk Who Sits with Shield Up?

Dr-KaBoom
04-16-2017, 02:33 PM
So I've had some Valks who just sit with shield up refusing to fight. Not sure how you are supposed to open them up?

I can remember one specifically silly situation on one of the Dominion maps with the zone has two bridge entrances. The Valk had put a feat trap on one bridge and then stood on the other bridge with shield up the entire time.

AgentCelt
04-16-2017, 02:41 PM
So I've had some Valks who just sit with shield up refusing to fight. Not sure how you are supposed to open them up?

I can remember one specifically silly situation on one of the Dominion maps with the zone has two bridge entrances. The Valk had put a feat trap on one bridge and then stood on the other bridge with shield up the entire time.

In a deathmatch/duel game mode, bait & dodge. In dominion with the traps, there's not much you can do besides go around her. If you can't go round, either gank her with your teammates or just leave her. Or you could play as Conqueror or Goki who's charge attacks outpower her shield.... I think.

Dr-KaBoom
04-16-2017, 02:45 PM
In a deathmatch/duel game mode, bait & dodge. In dominion with the traps, there's not much you can do besides go around her. If you can't go round, either gank her with your teammates or just leave her. Or you could play as Conqueror or Goki who's charge attacks outpower her shield.... I think.

I fee like if you try and bait and dodge she can either wait for you to commit to the attack and then bash you or wait for you to cancel into the dodge than bash you. Either way the control would still be in her hands. I could be wrong about this.

AgentCelt
04-16-2017, 02:53 PM
I fee like if you try and bait and dodge she can either wait for you to commit to the attack and then bash you or wait for you to cancel into the dodge than bash you. Either way the control would still be in her hands. I could be wrong about this.

I'd recommend playing as Valk and trying to do it on other players. You'll quickly learn how to avoid the attack. You're not wrong though, It's a powerful attack if used right. You could also use feats against her. Every hero has a ranged attack, which are effective against anyone that turtles.

cragar212
04-16-2017, 03:20 PM
Shes in full guard so it drains her stam.

Just stay close being ready to dodge or block. Once she has to come out of it you are at an advantage. Can be annoying on a bridge or something though.

CaptainPwnet
04-16-2017, 03:26 PM
Feint an attack and side dodge when she charges. The dodge window is incredibly lenient to dodge this move and then it's a free GB.

zyrver
04-16-2017, 03:39 PM
Feint an attack and side dodge when she charges. The dodge window is incredibly lenient to dodge this move and then it's a free GB.

Valk can just eat the attack as its all block, wait to see if you dodge and get a free bash. Inless your attack is unblockable its still in her favor.

AKDagriZ
04-16-2017, 03:44 PM
this player had a very good strategy to defend his zone .in other situation her charge wouldn't be that usefull. different day different story

Dr-KaBoom
04-16-2017, 04:31 PM
I just don't understand why some heroes like Valk have so many tools than you got characters like Kensei or Orochi with like 2-3 viable attacks (not including feints cause everyone gets those).

AgentCelt
04-16-2017, 04:35 PM
I just don't understand why some heroes like Valk have so many tools than you got characters like Kensei or Orochi with like 2-3 viable attacks (not including feints cause everyone gets those).

Valk has less tools than you think. Shield bash and the sweep are her best assets, but besides those two, she has nothing. She has fast light attacks but which hero doesn't? You just need to learn her combos. She's easier to defeat than you think.

Dr-KaBoom
04-16-2017, 04:43 PM
Valk has less tools than you think. Shield bash and the sweep are her best assets, but besides those two, she has nothing. She has fast light attacks but which hero doesn't? You just need to learn her combos. She's easier to defeat than you think.

Every hero has fast light attacks? You joking? Not only does she have fast light attacks but she has them from 3 different directions. That's 3 tools in itself compared to Orochi or Kensei who for example who only ha\ve fast light attack from 1 direction. She has lot of mix up as well. She is problem only second to Warlord in terms of versatility. Now I'm not saying her versatility needs to be nerfed, I'm saying the other 1 hit wonder heroes need more viable options.

CaptainPwnet
04-16-2017, 06:23 PM
Valk can just eat the attack as its all block, wait to see if you dodge and get a free bash. Inless your attack is unblockable its still in her favor.

No, you don't side dodge until you see the charge. As I said the dodge window for this move is INCREDIBLY lenient. Otherwise you can actually just walk up and GB lol. The shield tackle actually travels to the target and then there is still a delay once she reaches the target before the shield actually connects. It is probbaly the easiest unblockable in the game to dodge because again the dodge window is INCREDIBLY lenient. Even if you are point blank you will have plenty of time to side dodge it on reaction.

Also another note against the shield tackle, due to that delay before the hit on your target actually happens you can interupt it if you are in revenge with GB on reaction quite easily.

Dr-KaBoom
04-16-2017, 06:26 PM
No, you don't side dodge until you see the charge. As I said the dodge window for this move is INCREDIBLY lenient. Otherwise you can actually just walk up and GB lol. The shield tackle actually travels to the target and then there is still a delay once she reaches the target before the shield actually connects. It is probbaly the easiest unblockable in the game to dodge because again the dodge window is INCREDIBLY lenient. Even if you are point blank you will have plenty of time to side dodge it on reaction.

Why would she just throw out the charge before you have dodged? What exactly are you baiting out the dodge with? Of course if the Valk is randomly throwing out the charge it is super easy to dodge. You are presenting an illogical scenario. If you try and GB I'm pretty sure the charge beats it.

CaptainPwnet
04-16-2017, 06:28 PM
Why would she just throw out the charge before you have dodged? What exactly are you baiting out the dodge with? You are presenting an illogical scenario. If You try and GB I'm pretty sure the charge beats it.

Like I said feint an attack, if she charges you dodge. If she does not charge you continue to walk forward. Once close enough GB, just don't commit to anything before she does. If you she happens to charge at the same time you GB she may win. But that's all up to luck on both of your parts. She can't punish GB on reaction with the charge.

Also why would you have dodged if she didn't charge already? Your scenario sounds much more illogical to me. If she sits there you could literally walk right by her and still be able to dodge the shield tackle on reaction.

Dr-KaBoom
04-16-2017, 06:32 PM
Like I said feint an attack, if she charges you dodge. If she does not charge you continue to walk forward. Once close enough GB, just don't commit to anything before she does. If you she happens to charge at the same time you GB she may win. But that's all up to luck on both of your parts. She can't punish GB on reaction with the charge.

Like myself and others have explained the feinting of an attack is not a bait because she has all guard up. You are posing no threat with the "baited" attack which is the entire point of baiting an attack to force your opponent to react. She has no reason to react to your bait.

I also forgot to mention the Valk can cancel the guard into a forward dash into a GB as well so in fact she can bait you into a dodge and GB you out of it as well.

CaptainPwnet
04-16-2017, 06:38 PM
Like myself and others have explained the feinting of an attack is not a bait because she has all guard up. You are posing no threat with the "baited" attack which is the entire point of baiting an attack to force your opponent to react. She has no reason to react to your bait.

Then if she doesn't take the bait then go ahead and walk right up to her and GB. I'm not seeing what you don't understand. The tackles is very easy to dodge and GB will come out first if you get up to her and she hasn't charged yet. If you don't want to GB then you will need to be a character with a shove, pretty much any of the ones out of dash will win against shield tackle(conq, WL, Warden, LB.)

I even play valk and this is also how I deal with shield tackle. It really isnt very good in any 1v1 situation. It's only real use is being a severe annoyance/hindrance in teamfights when not the primary target.

Dr-KaBoom
04-16-2017, 06:40 PM
Then if she doesn't take the bait then go ahead and walk right up to her and GB. I'm not seeing what you don't understand. The tackles is very easy to dodge and GB will come out first if you get up to her and she hasn't charged yet. If you don't want to GB then you will need to be a character with a shove, pretty much any of the ones out of dash will win against shield tackle(conq, WL, Warden, LB.)

We already went over the GB option.

Only reasonable suggestion so far is to just let her run out of stamina and force a staring contest. More great gameplay.

CaptainPwnet
04-16-2017, 06:45 PM
We already went over the GB option.

Only reasonable suggestion so far is to just let her run out of stamina and force a staring contest. More great gameplay.

Some people just don't want to be helped and would rather whine I guess lol. The tackle does not beat GB unless it is done at the exact same time which you can't help and they also can't do on reaction. Also the unblockables I mentioned beat shield tackle 100% of the time.

teksuo1
04-16-2017, 08:12 PM
bait her with a whiff at the right distance, or maybe a feint?
Pretty sure she's waiting for a mistake on your part to let go of the shield ; pretend to make one!

CoyoteXStarrk
04-16-2017, 08:16 PM
Anytime I see a Valkyrie, Orochi, Nobushi etc etc take their stance and just sit there I just back away to a safe distance and then spam emotes until they give up and decide to actually fight.

This is especially hilarious when I am the Raider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p83F7NU6mI

Dr-KaBoom
04-16-2017, 08:30 PM
Some people just don't want to be helped and would rather whine I guess lol. The tackle does not beat GB unless it is done at the exact same time which you can't help and they also can't do on reaction. Also the unblockables I mentioned beat shield tackle 100% of the time.

This guy is like a broken record.