PDA

View Full Version : Leading lev Bomber/dive bomber squad: request for a key-command

XyZspineZyX
08-29-2003, 03:02 PM
Hi all,
I would like to have the possibility to order to the level or dive bomber squad, when I am the leader pilot, to release bomb-load whenever, and wherever, I decide it is optimal.
This would permit for example:
1) to lead torpedo missions much more "partecipating" than now, since now your squad releases torpedoes only in close proximity of the target and following a predetermined approach manoeuvre
2) leading a lev-bombing squad that acts as a lev-bombing squad, since now they act as quite independent dive-bombers as soon as they receive the order of "ground attack" by me (in fact, they apparently do break formation to seek a target in a manner much or less evident depending by target distance). This (improved) way I will be able to choose exactly which has to be the target area of my squad.

To be more understandable, try this:
build a mission where you are the leader of, say, 12 bombers, going to bomb a harbour with stationary ships in. When your bomb-sight is aligned with the target, send the "attack ground" command.
What you will see is:
a/c in your proximity will drop bombs breaking a little the formation (your aiming is still sufficiently good for them) but the a/c far from you will start diving here and there looking for their own target: typical dive-bomber behaviour.

To end this long and probably not so clear post:
I think that a command should be inserted in the communication panel to order "release bombs NOW", to have a much more realistic (and versatile) behaviour from bombers.

PS: I have no idea how much difficulties would imply this to the programmers. But, since may be that it has not been noticed (considered) by them before, i have written this request

XyZspineZyX
08-29-2003, 03:02 PM
Hi all,
I would like to have the possibility to order to the level or dive bomber squad, when I am the leader pilot, to release bomb-load whenever, and wherever, I decide it is optimal.
This would permit for example:
1) to lead torpedo missions much more "partecipating" than now, since now your squad releases torpedoes only in close proximity of the target and following a predetermined approach manoeuvre
2) leading a lev-bombing squad that acts as a lev-bombing squad, since now they act as quite independent dive-bombers as soon as they receive the order of "ground attack" by me (in fact, they apparently do break formation to seek a target in a manner much or less evident depending by target distance). This (improved) way I will be able to choose exactly which has to be the target area of my squad.

To be more understandable, try this:
build a mission where you are the leader of, say, 12 bombers, going to bomb a harbour with stationary ships in. When your bomb-sight is aligned with the target, send the "attack ground" command.
What you will see is:
a/c in your proximity will drop bombs breaking a little the formation (your aiming is still sufficiently good for them) but the a/c far from you will start diving here and there looking for their own target: typical dive-bomber behaviour.

To end this long and probably not so clear post:
I think that a command should be inserted in the communication panel to order "release bombs NOW", to have a much more realistic (and versatile) behaviour from bombers.

PS: I have no idea how much difficulties would imply this to the programmers. But, since may be that it has not been noticed (considered) by them before, i have written this request

XyZspineZyX
08-29-2003, 05:09 PM
I've been thinking along the same lines for a long time ... even in IL2. Here's a link to the thread for the suggestion I made. Pity it'll never happen though.

http://forums.ubi.com/messages/message_view-topic.asp?name=Olegmaddoxreadyroom&id=zuxld

XyZspineZyX
08-29-2003, 10:37 PM
Regarding the proposed "release bombs" command and possible difficulties related to its programming:
since it does already exists the "release auxiliary tanks" command, and since bombers don't have auxiliary tanks, this command could be linked to the bombs when flying bombers.
Maybe this way it' s a simpler solution and, who knows?, could be implemented in a next patch... ok, ok, just joking http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif