PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs sersious help with Valk/Berserk

SetMySail4Fail
04-11-2017, 10:18 PM
Hello fellow Vikings!

A couple of days ago I bought For Honor (X1) and I'd say I really like this game, except for one thing: I'm getting slaughtered every single match!
To me it seems like everyone in this game is a pro. So far I've played this game for 10 hours and I have won one out of maybe ~30 Duells. And that was only because the guy I played had 0 idea what he was doing. Every other match ended 1-3 or 0-3.
The worst thing about this is, that most of my opponents haven't played the game much longer than I, maybe 5-10 hours. And even players who've played this game less than I are way better than me. For example the last guy I fought has played for 7 hours (according to his Xbox profile) and yet he 3-0ed me like 5 times in a row. Or another player, according to his profile he has played this game for one or two hours, blocked every single attack perfectly!

It's always the same, my opponents are completely relentless and throw hit after hit mixed with some combos/flaming attacks/whatever and perfect timings/guardbreaks while I have trouble landing even one attack.

I read somwhere that it is recommended to train vs. Bots and that's what I did for a couple of hours but it's just plain boring and I don't believe that this helps much.

So long story short, what do I have to do to get better with Valk/Berserk? What would you recommend to some who is new to this game and apparantly waaaay worse than everyone else (with a similar gametime).?

Edit: Just to be clear, I know about blocking/counter attacking/ guard breaks etc. it's just that everyone but me seems to have mastered theses traits perfectly already.

Thank you very much in advance!

DUI Murda
04-11-2017, 10:44 PM
What's your GT? I can give you some tips 👍

FootlessRhino
04-26-2017, 12:56 PM
as far as defense goes you pretty much have to know all classes and how to play against them. As a Zerker you need to feint a lot, otherwise you'll get parried the **** out of you. you get armor on the 2nd hit, so you can intentionally miss your first light and then catch them with a follow up heavy that can't be interrupted. you can continue that chain with a light, then feint your next heavy to prevent opponents parry and go for the light again or GB. when you land a GB, you get a guaranteed side heavy which does decent damage, but if opponent is near the wall, it's better to throw him into the wall which will give you a guaranteed top heavy. if you parry a light attack, you'll get a guaranteed top heavy as well. everything besides that is reading your opponents play style and adjusting accordingly.

jibninja
04-26-2017, 11:52 PM
This may not be your type of game. That isn't a bad thing. A friend of mine is awesome at this game, but can't play Overwatch for crap. I can own anyone in O.W, but struggle a little with this game. To each their own really.

DrinkinMyStella
04-27-2017, 10:19 AM
I'm a Valk main, learn mix-ups so heavy feint into shield bash then light and sweep. time dodges better followed by light attacks. her main strenghts are her very fast light attacks, these light attacks open up chains with you can finish with a sweep then a free heavy but be warned that if you miss a sweep, shield crush/bash or your light is blocked then they get a free GB and will punish you hard.

Tyrjo
04-27-2017, 06:11 PM
If you are new I recommend playing a Vanguard class instead since they are easier to learn. Valkyrie is quite complex and you need to understand all of the other classes to be able to adapt your play style. Go back to Valkyrie later on if you really like playing her.

Tundra 793
04-27-2017, 09:57 PM
If you are new I recommend playing a Vanguard class instead since they are easier to learn. Valkyrie is quite complex and you need to understand all of the other classes to be able to adapt your play style. Go back to Valkyrie later on if you really like playing her.

Funnily enough I'd suggest the opposite; Simply choose 1 class that you feel is right for you, and stick with it for at least a few Reputation levels, or until you realize it might not be for you, then switch and don't look back.

You're making it a bit difficult for yourself bouncing between 2 more tricky classes, but if you stick with one, you can master it much faster. As a Berserker main, I'll tell you, 'Zerker's are a very "uphill" class, and you're going to have to put in twice as much effort with it, even early on, just to get on the same level as other classes. If you're going to play Berserker often, you gotta commit to learning feints and practicing deflects.

Valkyrie's got a few moves that are solid though, and you can probably rely on them more. Her combo's are probably harder to get a hold of at first, but much more useful once you get the hang of it.

Basically, pick a class, the one you feel suits you best, stick with it, and master it Is my advice.

PDXGorechild
04-28-2017, 12:45 PM
You're making it a bit difficult for yourself bouncing between 2 more tricky classes, but if you stick with one, you can master it much faster. As a Berserker main, I'll tell you, 'Zerker's are a very "uphill" class, and you're going to have to put in twice as much effort with it, even early on, just to get on the same level as other classes. If you're going to play Berserker often, you gotta commit to learning feints and practicing deflects.

This is true. Personally, I think it’s much more rewarding to pick one class and stick to it, especially if you end up mastering one of the trickier classes like the two you’ve been talking about. You should pick one that feels right. I’ve played Berserker almost exclusively since open Beta, and it’s been a rocky road with a lot of frustration, but well worth it in the end. I love the mobility and the feel of relentless attacking you lay down if you manage to pull of your chain attacks. Here’s some of my advice if you decide to roll with the Zerk:

1. Parrying is currently somewhat unreliable on Berserker. As an assassin, it’s done on reflex and can feel a bit sluggish switching between sides to block. For this reason, I dedicate most of my attention to dodging instead. Deflect is great if you can get the hang of it (Dodge in the direction of an attack just before it strikes for a free GB). Dodge in and out of combat, and around your opponents. Try to be unpredictable to throw opponents off. Generally I’ll only attempt to parry if I know I’m definitely not going to pull the dodge off in time, or I’ll dodge into another opponents swing. or I’m stuck in a corner, exhausted etc.
2. Feints – Something I’m yet to master, but somewhat essential on Zerk for 1-on-1 fights as he struggles to open up defensive classes guard. Practice these against a bot ideally.
3. Utilise dance of the paired blades. This unique attack is both satisfying and your main source of damage. I’ve found that by tapping R1 and R2 with my middle and index fingers in rhythm and using your thumb to direct the attacks in random directions you can make it very difficult for an opponent to predict where your next attack will come from. I’ll often only disengage from using this attack due to running out of stamina.
4. Open up with spinning chops and head slicers, and get right into your chain attacks. This keeps combat fluid and keeps you on the move. This obviously works more reliably after a GB > throw. Jump into combat, dance around, throw swings from all directions. Be aggressive. If you don’t like the way it’s going, dodge back from your opponent and wait for your stamina to recover while you re-assess the situation.
5. Don’t run out of stamina! This can be said for all classes of course, but it’s more likely to result in your demise as an assassin. The Zerk has the highest stamina pool, but too many times as a noob I would chain attacks until running out of stamina, get guardbroken, thrown to the ground and dispatched with a couple of attacks before my delicate *** had even gotten off the deck. Your agile playstyle relies on you having stamina to dodge out of combat when things get hairy, so always keep an eye.

Wardens, Conquerors and Warlords will be extremely difficult to beat if your opponent knows what they’re doing. They will parry and block everything, and it won’t take many retaliations to drain your small health pool. Feinting attacks and exercising more caution in terms of aggressiveness are essential if you are to stand a chance of winning.

Ironically I seem to do consistently well against Orochi and Peacekeeper, two of the more overpowered and overplayed classes that everybody else whines about. They’ll struggle even more than others to get out of your chain attacks due to the reflex block and they’re light and squishy. Stay aggressive and you can axe them into the ground in a few seconds. Lawbringer and Shoguki should not pose too much of a problem either – they’re slow and don’t have a shield. Dance around them and interrupt them with light attacks and you might find that they often can’t even lay a finger on you.

All the other classes seem somewhere in between.

It's a steep learning curve and you will die a lot. But after sticking out the initial frustration, now I'm rolling with almost 3:1 KD ratio in 4v4's and 2:1 in duels and brawls and enjoying it immensely.