PDA

View Full Version : First flight (patched) impression

XyZspineZyX
08-13-2003, 02:34 AM
I fired up my P-39 "sightseeing" mission that I'm in the process of making (online 3 summer map).

The mission starts with 3 I-153's and a single Pe-8 flying in formaiton past the field I'm taking off from. Before patch I could barely hear them. Patched my first impression that there was a sound bug in the patch- when in fact I was hearing the planes overhead going past- and the Pe-8 is one LOUD plane!

I start up the engine and listen to the cockpit sounds for a minute. Definately improved. So it's throttle up and take off.

Gear up and over the opposite end of the runway, flaps raised and aileron roll. It definately doen't roll quite as swiftly at low speed, but still a good roll.

Flying in formation with a pair of IL-4's. Nice to hear those radials from my cockpit now. The P-39 N-1 still feels and handles good flying in close formaiton at 300 kph- similar performance to before patch. Despite the IL-4's being friendly, I was given clear range to practice gunnery. Someone mentioned the P-39's MGs being more potent. I couldn't tell, so I assume they're close to the same, if not the same as pre-patch. One thing's for sure, they definately had a punch in the cockpit, as the lound rika-raka of the guns firing sure rattled the cockpit. I didn't practice with cannon as much, only fired a round or 2. One hit behind the #1 engine didn't take off the wing of the IL-4 in front of me. The AI definately go into more dynamic maneuvers to avoid taking fire-at one point looking like it almost lost control.

So my chase is getting low, with the IL-4 p155ing gas and oil into the forest just 50m below, so I climb out and decide to see what the map looks like from high alt. When I later watched the track, I saw the plane crash and a significantly high piller of smoke rose from the crash site- much higher than pre-patch (2x maybe). The fire also burned for a LONG time (very nice!).

Climb out to 26000 feet. I feel like the climb to high alt is easier than pre-patch. At least in the N-1 is was. I was able to trim it and leave it, occasionally adjusting roll with the stick. Pre-patch I could never trim on climb- I would lose speed too quickly. I think high-alt engine preformance has been tweaked pretty well.

Views are improved from high alt- but I can't say fully how much as I was flying under hazy conditions at 0800. I was able to see a grass airstrip from a good 20 miles away. You can't see objects at this dist, but being able to clearly see the field is an improved feature. Now I find myself 5 miles up, and want to get down quickly. I felt in order to test the post-patch P-39 I needed stall practice with a significant margin for error, Power back, 45 degree climb, prop pitch back. And it slows down, it keeps slowing down. Now the airspeed indicator tells me that pre-patch I would be entering a spin. Finally it does a wing over and goes rock steady (albeit at an awkward attitude) 1 second later. Pull hard back, another wing over, and pointing to a different part of the ground below. And I'm still at 25000 feet!

Needless to say, I could NOT spin-stall the P-39 N-1 no matter how hard I tried- even full dirty at 10000 feet. I even practiced a 90 degree bank and hard turn less than 100 feet up, I was able to recover from the wing-over stall without hitting the ground from very low alt. Now it seems that part of the P-39 is "missing" (even if the FM is closer to reality). I had become so used to flying at the edge always knowing that just a little too hard and you could buy the farm.

Anyway, I decide to do a low-level inverted pass over the runway, heading towards and underneath traffic on final approach (one of my typical "air show" maneuvers in the 39). I had a hard time holding it, and crashed just past the threshhold closest the traffic pattern. Usually when this attitude and crash, I'm able to walk away from the wreck. The plane would tap the prop, bounce around a bit, and catch fire before it came to a stop, allowing me to bail safely. Not anymore! It was instant BOOM! Another plane wreck burns for a LONG time.

I decide to stick around in "spectator" mode and watch the traffic come in. Ah, first one in behind me is the 111 Zwilling. Very nice sound quality as it flies by. I think I can hear all 5 engines and all 5 props now. The zwilling touches down, taxis to the first turn-off, and hangs a left. It taxis to the next turn-off and turns right, across the runway, and onto the taxiway opposite the runway, then taxis to a parking area just off of the right taxiway. I had never seen AI planes alternate taxiways before, and I noticed that the zwilling did this to avoid a fuel truck driving down the other side as the zwilling was taxiing off, very impressive (if this existed before I didn't know- because I've never seen it).

One thing about the patch I DID NOT like, was that AI planes would spontaneously explode about 2 minutes after landing. Pre-patch they would sit on the ramps for quite a long time (they would eventually disappear, but was something like 30 minutes). Oleg please change this back to the old way. Or is it simply that I need to set timeouts for AI planes in FMB?

Saving tracks is almost instantaneous- even a 20 minute flight was lots going on (very welcome improvement- it would take >5 mins before). Playback of tracks at 8x speed is also much less choppy.

All in all- what a great improvement to an already great sim, and that was just a single flight! Looking forward to go fly and find some more good stuff!

--------------------------------
Any landing you can walk away from is a good one.

XyZspineZyX
08-13-2003, 02:34 AM
I fired up my P-39 "sightseeing" mission that I'm in the process of making (online 3 summer map).

The mission starts with 3 I-153's and a single Pe-8 flying in formaiton past the field I'm taking off from. Before patch I could barely hear them. Patched my first impression that there was a sound bug in the patch- when in fact I was hearing the planes overhead going past- and the Pe-8 is one LOUD plane!

I start up the engine and listen to the cockpit sounds for a minute. Definately improved. So it's throttle up and take off.

Gear up and over the opposite end of the runway, flaps raised and aileron roll. It definately doen't roll quite as swiftly at low speed, but still a good roll.

Flying in formation with a pair of IL-4's. Nice to hear those radials from my cockpit now. The P-39 N-1 still feels and handles good flying in close formaiton at 300 kph- similar performance to before patch. Despite the IL-4's being friendly, I was given clear range to practice gunnery. Someone mentioned the P-39's MGs being more potent. I couldn't tell, so I assume they're close to the same, if not the same as pre-patch. One thing's for sure, they definately had a punch in the cockpit, as the lound rika-raka of the guns firing sure rattled the cockpit. I didn't practice with cannon as much, only fired a round or 2. One hit behind the #1 engine didn't take off the wing of the IL-4 in front of me. The AI definately go into more dynamic maneuvers to avoid taking fire-at one point looking like it almost lost control.

So my chase is getting low, with the IL-4 p155ing gas and oil into the forest just 50m below, so I climb out and decide to see what the map looks like from high alt. When I later watched the track, I saw the plane crash and a significantly high piller of smoke rose from the crash site- much higher than pre-patch (2x maybe). The fire also burned for a LONG time (very nice!).

Climb out to 26000 feet. I feel like the climb to high alt is easier than pre-patch. At least in the N-1 is was. I was able to trim it and leave it, occasionally adjusting roll with the stick. Pre-patch I could never trim on climb- I would lose speed too quickly. I think high-alt engine preformance has been tweaked pretty well.

Views are improved from high alt- but I can't say fully how much as I was flying under hazy conditions at 0800. I was able to see a grass airstrip from a good 20 miles away. You can't see objects at this dist, but being able to clearly see the field is an improved feature. Now I find myself 5 miles up, and want to get down quickly. I felt in order to test the post-patch P-39 I needed stall practice with a significant margin for error, Power back, 45 degree climb, prop pitch back. And it slows down, it keeps slowing down. Now the airspeed indicator tells me that pre-patch I would be entering a spin. Finally it does a wing over and goes rock steady (albeit at an awkward attitude) 1 second later. Pull hard back, another wing over, and pointing to a different part of the ground below. And I'm still at 25000 feet!

Needless to say, I could NOT spin-stall the P-39 N-1 no matter how hard I tried- even full dirty at 10000 feet. I even practiced a 90 degree bank and hard turn less than 100 feet up, I was able to recover from the wing-over stall without hitting the ground from very low alt. Now it seems that part of the P-39 is "missing" (even if the FM is closer to reality). I had become so used to flying at the edge always knowing that just a little too hard and you could buy the farm.

Anyway, I decide to do a low-level inverted pass over the runway, heading towards and underneath traffic on final approach (one of my typical "air show" maneuvers in the 39). I had a hard time holding it, and crashed just past the threshhold closest the traffic pattern. Usually when this attitude and crash, I'm able to walk away from the wreck. The plane would tap the prop, bounce around a bit, and catch fire before it came to a stop, allowing me to bail safely. Not anymore! It was instant BOOM! Another plane wreck burns for a LONG time.

I decide to stick around in "spectator" mode and watch the traffic come in. Ah, first one in behind me is the 111 Zwilling. Very nice sound quality as it flies by. I think I can hear all 5 engines and all 5 props now. The zwilling touches down, taxis to the first turn-off, and hangs a left. It taxis to the next turn-off and turns right, across the runway, and onto the taxiway opposite the runway, then taxis to a parking area just off of the right taxiway. I had never seen AI planes alternate taxiways before, and I noticed that the zwilling did this to avoid a fuel truck driving down the other side as the zwilling was taxiing off, very impressive (if this existed before I didn't know- because I've never seen it).

One thing about the patch I DID NOT like, was that AI planes would spontaneously explode about 2 minutes after landing. Pre-patch they would sit on the ramps for quite a long time (they would eventually disappear, but was something like 30 minutes). Oleg please change this back to the old way. Or is it simply that I need to set timeouts for AI planes in FMB?

Saving tracks is almost instantaneous- even a 20 minute flight was lots going on (very welcome improvement- it would take >5 mins before). Playback of tracks at 8x speed is also much less choppy.

All in all- what a great improvement to an already great sim, and that was just a single flight! Looking forward to go fly and find some more good stuff!

XyZspineZyX
08-13-2003, 04:25 AM
thx for the review! i am still downloading http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

=======================================
I be Ashley, my friends call me Ash, I rock, so "ashrox"