PDA

View Full Version : Changes to defensive play?

wethebishop
04-08-2017, 04:02 AM
When someone:

1.) blocks without ever trying to parry (hard to open them up without using an exploit)

or

2.) dashes backwards repeatedly or literally sprints away and avoids you

the game becomes boring and feels lethargic.

Can we expect any kind of penalty to this behavior that entails some kind of risk? Some kind of separate bar, or something that gets depleted? Anything?

bmason1000
04-08-2017, 06:19 AM
Blocking without parrying, i don't understand your issue with this? Would you mind expanding a little?

wethebishop
04-08-2017, 06:38 AM
I edited it. Blocks without ever trying to parry. If someone just focuses on blocking and never tries to parry, you will struggle to do damage to them. There is no negative to it. It makes the game slow.

With parrying, on the other hand, there is some risk involved. You open yourself up.

You may have seen the end of some 1v1 tournaments in which the game becomes very boring. That block has no downside is one reason why. When a player with sufficient reactions decides he no longer wants to be hit, then he no longer gets hit, unless some exploitive measures are taken, such as spamming the same safe or unreasonably fast attack to get a little damage.

kanuzira
04-08-2017, 07:58 AM
Sometimes you need to block a whole lot to learn someones attack pattern, from this you can screw your enemy over. I am not stupid enough to start with parrying if it means my early demise. I fight to win and not because you want to have an honorable fight (unless you emote greet me, that $hit is just decency). But i agree with the jumping back, that is just wrong.

wethebishop
04-08-2017, 08:58 AM
kanuzira, this is not what i'm talking about. Just sitting block and blocking should be viable. We do it when the flow isn't going our way. But you should not be able to do it indefinitely. There needs to be something that forces action other than certain abilities, or the game will die.