PDA

View Full Version : Group Problem-Solving?

rdfeather
01-13-2004, 05:01 PM
I was visiting a neighborhood today and was a little bored (couldn't get into the city, as usual) so I started a conversation about trying to break down the door to the Egg Room. A few of us started trying to break into the Egg Room by running and bashing into the door, then running and jumping (kicking) into the door. Of course it was all in vain, but it was fun to try it, and others said fun to watch. Wouldn't it have been great if it had worked? Wouldn't it be great if we could have some tasks that were accomplished only by cooperative actions? Or, as in Teledahn with the draw bridge, you could bash in a door by running and jumping on it? SOMETHING? I'm bored! There's nothing to do in the 'hoods!

rdfeather
01-13-2004, 05:01 PM
I was visiting a neighborhood today and was a little bored (couldn't get into the city, as usual) so I started a conversation about trying to break down the door to the Egg Room. A few of us started trying to break into the Egg Room by running and bashing into the door, then running and jumping (kicking) into the door. Of course it was all in vain, but it was fun to try it, and others said fun to watch. Wouldn't it have been great if it had worked? Wouldn't it be great if we could have some tasks that were accomplished only by cooperative actions? Or, as in Teledahn with the draw bridge, you could bash in a door by running and jumping on it? SOMETHING? I'm bored! There's nothing to do in the 'hoods!

Freshpow
01-13-2004, 05:25 PM
I like the idea that some future puzzles may involve two or more people to solve, but it also forces people who may choose to explore alone into unwanted interaction.

Originally, my intent was to subscribe to LIVE but play the newly released material alone. I wouldn't have wanted to rely on being sociable so I could solve a puzzle and continue the game. My opinion has changed in the last couple weeks of being involved with the prologue because I've met so many nice people, now I look forward to adventuring with others, but some folks may sincerely wish to play alone.

I'd think it would be a tough call for UBI/Cyan as to whether or not they should force interaction upon those who wish to solve the new ages alone.

Dennis_Sharper
01-13-2004, 05:42 PM
I don't think you should ever be required to meet other to solve puzzles, but it should always be an option. And what is this egg room stuff all about.

SteveCrid
01-13-2004, 05:53 PM
I think some of the solutions will be groups of people figuring something out together, but there will probably also be points where you need multiple bodies too. One puzzle on Teledahn looks like it was originally designed to have multiple players to solve it.

There's a game called Project Eden which nicely demonstrates multiple characters working together. In that game, each player can do different things. But there are several places where one character has to hold a button to keep a door open, while others go through. I suspect Uru will have similar elements.

traffic_jam
01-13-2004, 06:21 PM
i read somewhere once that some of the puzzles in prime were originally meant to be group puzzles in live, but could be solved alone.

for example, the powering up in gahreesen is WORLDS easier if you have a buddy standing on the power plate the whole time. or maybe have some friends stand on those plates in the teledahn prison. or someone to turn on the bucket in teledahn AFTER you've gotten in it. stuff like that.

i like the idea of puzzles like that. they can still be solved alone, although with a bit more work.

jess
Atrus KI#: 568084
Katran KI#: 163970

rdfeather
01-13-2004, 07:30 PM
Why can't there be a few puzzles in which more than one person is required in order to solve? I like playing solitary also, but what's the big deal to occasionally ask someone's help to solve something? You don't have to make a lifetime commitment. Jeez...

Dennis_Sharper
01-13-2004, 07:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Why can't there be a few puzzles in which more than one person is required in order to solve? I like playing solitary also, but what's the big deal to occasionally ask someone's help to solve something? You don't have to make a lifetime commitment. Jeez... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because A)It maybe hard to find people who are ready to solve that certian puzzles B)Some people may have found out how to solve a puzzle in advance and ruin it for their fellow cooperatorsC)Good puzzles are hard to solve, and you would need more then one online session to figure them out. Finding the person you were previously working with would be hard.

Anyway, whatever Cyan intends to do I hope that it is not only obvious which puzzles are ment for more then one person, but that some puzzles can be solved alone.

DaizanBarakas
01-13-2004, 08:43 PM
I hope they have enough of both so they dont keep anyone bored. Also what might be nice and encourage people to interact with others is a puzzle that could be solved by one person but only after relevant (and irrelevant) clues were found and sifted through by numerous people (ie having clues appear at certain times of the day, throughout the entire day and night). A puzzle like this would encourage people to work together without absolutely requiring it.

graham_614
01-13-2004, 09:22 PM
If there's even a single puzzle wherein some chap pops out of no where and proclaims "By your powers combined..." I'm out http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

maztec
01-13-2004, 09:57 PM
I like puzzles that both require grou pparticipation and ones that don't.

Hopefully they just make both available instead of catering completely to the "I want to play alone" faction. If that's what they do, they should have just ditched the online portion of the game and for a subscription fee allowed us to download monthly content updates.

Get your Latest Updates Here:
http://www.cyanworlds.com/status.htm

FragmentFour
01-13-2004, 10:50 PM
Personally, I prefer the two or more idea - particularly in the "stomp and run" type of situation. I was ready to shelve the Prime for lack of dexterity and then the magical typo appeared (blessings to the Tooth Fairy), and I uploaded my still incomplete game.

With a little help managing a gondola, and again with a pressure plate, I was able to finish my own game on-line, AND return the service to another player with the same problems. No spoilers on either side, we just joined forces on the mechanics, then took our respective puzzles back to be worked out alone.

Cyan is a company with the ability to to devise enough of both kinds to keep going - it doesn't HAVE to be one way or the other, does it?

Dennis_Sharper
01-14-2004, 01:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>"By your powers combined..." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just got the strangest feeling that that line has to be from a japenese cartoon or a bad old movie.

maztec
01-14-2004, 01:23 PM
Dennis,

Actually it's from "Captain Planet" a United States pro-environment cartoon that played in the late 80's and early 90's. Still around but I doubt it has new episodes. Really really bad show. But better than power rangers any day.

What I want to know is if people actually want group problem solving and public interaction. I'd rather see this as a poll...

BacardiJim
01-14-2004, 03:13 PM
I'd settle for any puzzle at all. Period. Even just one. I'd settle for a damned slider puzzle at this point.

maztec
01-14-2004, 03:45 PM
and the to group or not group poll is here: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=1981034&m=537103941