PDA

View Full Version : Dev stream... Still nothing about the unplayable console versions.

Drachdhar
03-31-2017, 07:30 PM
Quite frankly, I would love this game... I try very hard to... But more often I end up pissed off when playing For Honor. Constantly in a bad mood when playing, and that is not a feeling that should be present when doing something for fun. And I got some patience, I mainly play "Souls-like games" these days.

But the bad fps of the console versions combined with the reactions needed to counter light attacks of many characters and counter guard breaks is not something that can be combined. Attack indicators need to show up alot faster on console. Right now you need to see, react and switch stances to even block... and when an attack basically hit a split second after the indicator shows up it gets very difficult. I am confident that there are few console players who can deal with PK/Valk/Nobushi light attacks reliably. Hell I picked up PK, barely having played the char before and wrecked high rep players simply with lights. There was nothing they could really do... and when I ran out of stamina I just retreated and waited for it to get back, none could really catch me.

And then there are Guard Breaks, also something that has a way to small window to counter given how powerful they are... again on console... they appear about half as fast when viewing a pc stream to me, pretty much like all other moves seems half as fast... and that is viewing the stream on the same console.
I fooled around a little with the Advanced Practice, trying to get the timing right... Changed stances, threw out some attacks and such just to get a more "practical" feel of it. And still the practice bot managed to GB me about 25-30% of the time, and then I need not look for anything other than GBs. Basically had to press the button right when the indicator appeared. GBs are mostly a way to win with ease on console, few players I've VS-ed have been able to counter it if they did not "know" it was coming (and unlike many others I try to not spam the damn GB button for easy wins).

Then add TV screen frame update lagg, it is well known that most TVs update slower than computer screens. Controller lagg, which is very slight... General network lagg, which can be considerable when playing with people outside ones region, and people using WiFi connection instead of cord with their consoles... Console For Honor is a different beast altogether compared to the PC version, which I feel was not really considered by the devs. I might be wrong about that of course, but that is not the impression I get.

For Honor needs either 60fps on consoles, or some other fix which makes reacting "easier".

From what I have gathered the locked to 30fps crap is due to not being able to get 60fps consistently in Dominion... Which I surmise is due to all the annoying little soldiers running around in the middle. The middle area does not really need 60fps since most moves people do there are more chaotic... IMO. Its everywhere else its needed... where you run into other people more often. And 60fps is alot more need in game modes like Duel, Brawl and Elimination.
There are also other ways to improve fps... removing unnecessary particle effects and other "eye candy". Trust me, few people look at the nice textures, pretty explosions and whatnot when fighting for their "lives". Alot of pretty things go unnoticed due to that. Graphics are secondary to gameplay.

I, and many others, can not enjoy For Honor on consoles due to the spammy nature of the fighting atm. Trying to react to moves that are nigh on unreactable, like many light attacks and guard breaks. Its just frustrating and boring quite frankly.

And yet, no mention of any of these issues on the Dev stream... Nor anything on the forums...

Hillbill79
03-31-2017, 07:35 PM
Consoles cant handle the game at 60fps. Not even close. The game would need the graphics quality reduced to the point where it would look crap to even come close.

My graphics card is bigger than most consoles...

Drachdhar
03-31-2017, 07:38 PM
If thats the case... They need to think of something else. Because as it stands there are about 20 times more copies sold on console compared to PC.

Back when the player count was still ingame, EU primetime had ten times more players on PS4 alone compared to PC... And that was when the game was still newly released. And console players pay more for the same game... and get half as much.

Saurons_blade
04-08-2017, 08:20 PM
If thats the case... They need to think of something else. Because as it stands there are about 20 times more copies sold on console compared to PC.

Back when the player count was still ingame, EU primetime had ten times more players on PS4 alone compared to PC... And that was when the game was still newly released. And console players pay more for the same game... and get half as much.

Yes, the 30 fps are a problem for a game that is designed with 60 fps in mind. I wonder why i only found three threads regarding the topic yet.

Reducing the graphical quality is not an option for a "next gen" AAA title. that's true. But they need to come up with other solutions for the issue. The PK's/Valkyries fast attacks are not a balancing problem, they are a technical issue. on console you CAN NOT react to those. even without the input lag you couldn't. not with attacks that are 15 frames fast or even faster. (zone attacks) If they can't make the game work with 60 fps on console, then they need to addapt the indicators, pary timing windows or guardswitch speeds. Off course they can't just slow every attack down, that would get boring as ****. But yeah, messing with the block mechanic is the least they could and should do.

GamingBotanist
04-08-2017, 08:39 PM
I just made another thread about the same issue. Have they even acknowledged it? It is incredibly frustrating to fight PK and Valk. I can't even block them, let alone parry them.

It needs to change. I'm completely resigned to any duel where the PK or Valk catches on that they can just beat me with light spam and then relentlessly poke me to death.

EDIT: like the guy above me said, 60fps won't be the fix. It will have to be something else.

XImohtephXX
04-08-2017, 09:09 PM
I just made another thread about the same issue. Have they even acknowledged it? It is incredibly frustrating to fight PK and Valk. I can't even block them, let alone parry them.

It needs to change. I'm completely resigned to any duel where the PK or Valk catches on that they can just beat me with light spam and then relentlessly poke me to death.

EDIT: like the guy above me said, 60fps won't be the fix. It will have to be something else.

This has become a well known fact on console. I fought a Raider main yesterday who was very much on point with my LB. After a few rounds he pulled out an Orochi he prestiged a few times which I was also able to beat. After this failed he brought out a Valkyrie and we went 3-2 with him winning. He left and I sent him a prompt GG on his Raider and Orochi performance and then he even apologized for using the Valkyrie acknowledging how absurd she is to fight on console. He said and Im quoting here "I needed to bring something faster than your reactions to win srry man lol"..............Being an LB main at higher tiers is already hard enough but knowing there are two characters that are mostly a guaranteed death sentence is infuriating.

CalZeray
04-08-2017, 10:41 PM
This has become a well known fact on console. I fought a Raider main yesterday who was very much on point with my LB. After a few rounds he pulled out an Orochi he prestiged a few times which I was also able to beat. After this failed he brought out a Valkyrie and we went 3-2 with him winning. He left and I sent him a prompt GG on his Raider and Orochi performance and then he even apologized for using the Valkyrie acknowledging how absurd she is to fight on console. He said and Im quoting here "I needed to bring something faster than your reactions to win srry man lol"..............Being an LB main at higher tiers is already hard enough but knowing there are two characters that are mostly a guaranteed death sentence is infuriating.

One of the community representatives said that the problem will be looked upon in this post http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1620453-60-fps-on-consoles-in-1v1-s-for-competitive-play so they are looking into it but it is really an issue especially with zone flicker (orochi top light into fast right side attack)

GamingBotanist
04-09-2017, 02:41 AM
One of the community representatives said that the problem will be looked upon in this post http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1620453-60-fps-on-consoles-in-1v1-s-for-competitive-play so they are looking into it but it is really an issue especially with zone flicker (orochi top light into fast right side attack)

Thanks for sharing! I'm glad they are at least aware of it. I don't know how much more of this I can take haha.

CalZeray
04-09-2017, 05:53 AM
So someone on my post actually calculated how much the frames dropped on his pc for this game across modes. In dominion his fps was a bit less than 144 fps on average and 100 fps in chaotic situations (ex: having all 8 players of the server using the big explosion killstreak in one place while surrounded with bots). His fps in 1v1 and 2v2 was above 200 . So you are right about the 30 framelock being only for campain/4v4