PDA

View Full Version : Improving faction war and faction identity

Godlymuppet
03-31-2017, 05:15 PM
Faction war is a bit of a mess right now.

I don't know about other people, but when I chose my faction, I chose the faction that I most identified with and the one I wanted to play the classes of.

I get that people may not want to be locked to a faction for classes and the current situation allows flexibility, but this is at the cost of any sort of faction pride. The current set up actually encourages switching of factions to who is likely to win the next round.

What I would suggest is-
You choose a faction just like you currently do now.
You only earn faction rewards if you play the classes for your currently chosen faction.
You can play the other factions classes, but you earn no rewards for any faction. (you could earn rewards for what ever faction the class belongs to, but imagine the abuse that could occur, ooh Vikings are about to win, ill play them and loose all my games).

What this will encourage is people choosing the faction that has the most classes they enjoy. They will start to have some faction pride. We will see actual faction banter becoming a thing.

of course they need to add actual rewards to the faction war to make people care at all. Id have it be something like-
1st 5 crates
2nd 3 crates
3rd 1 crate

What do you guys think? do you like the way it currently is or would you change it?

Cheers

Godlymuppet

p,s. yes I know my stats suck :P

Illyrian_King
03-31-2017, 05:18 PM
I would even go further and say, that i always fight just with the minions of my own faction and NEVER against them ... feels so weird!

Godlymuppet
03-31-2017, 05:24 PM
I would even go further and say, that i always fight just with the minions of my own faction and NEVER against them ... feels so weird!

While I would love to be on a team of just knights, I dread to think what that would do to match making.

thornh
03-31-2017, 05:24 PM
Agree.

CandleInTheDark
03-31-2017, 05:37 PM
Part of me likes that idea,part of me not so much. In my case it would work fairly well, I am one level off a rep point in warden which is slowly becoming my main I think, my first main was peacekeeper (waiting to see if and how it is balanced before pulling her out for any length of time again) and I have a few levels in conqueror, At the same time, I also have a good many levels in nobushi, valkyrie and berzerker and while I prefer the warden and would love the peacekeeper to be balanced so I can use her again, what you are kind of telling me there is the hours I put into them I don't get to help the cause of my faction, so why bother playing them at all, and we also have the new ones, are they part of a faction or do they stand outside the factions? The answer to that means playing either four or all six of them is worthless towards the faction war. I also know that people who have ut a lot more time into it than I have have rep threes across all the factions.

RenfieldX
03-31-2017, 10:20 PM
Matchmaking should also try to place people in the same faction on the same team. If there are 2 Vikings, a Samurai, and a Knight in a Brawl match, it should group the Vikings together. Same with 4v4, but you'd use the least represented faction to fill out the team (3 Vikings, 3 Knights, and 2 Samurai would be 3 Vikings and 1 Samurai vs. 3 Knights and 1 Samurai).

CandleInTheDark
03-31-2017, 10:55 PM
That comes into the same problem the devs said they have with matchmaking for gear currently, they do not know what characters people will choose when they come in. They said they are looking at that so maybe that will give the options down the line.

Godlymuppet
03-31-2017, 11:04 PM
That comes into the same problem the devs said they have with matchmaking for gear currently, they do not know what characters people will choose when they come in. They said they are looking at that so maybe that will give the options down the line.

Only way to fix that, is to force class choice before you queue. That might not be a bad thing. Image that once in a blue moon game where it matched you in a team of all 4 classes for your faction.

Sure would be nice if the game itself could say nope your not facing 4 orochi.

They may need to make orders individual then though, so the system is not just flooded with the class of the day.

UbiJurassic
03-31-2017, 11:41 PM
That's an inventive suggestion, Godlymuppet. We're always looking for a way to get people more invested in their faction choice.

The current set up actually encourages switching of factions to who is likely to win the next round.
Currently, we have a system to discourage last minute faction switches. If someone switches their faction in the midst of a season, they will forfeit the current season's rewards.

CandleInTheDark
03-31-2017, 11:45 PM
That's an inventive suggestion, Godlymuppet. We're always looking for a way to get people more invested in their faction choice.

Currently, we have a system to discourage last minute faction switches. If someone switches their faction in the midst of a season, they will forfeit the current season's rewards.

Yeah I have already been bitten by that >.< lol. I asked my brother where he was going and he said viking, I figured hey why not despite the fact I was looking at maining a knight, then he joined the knights when he got it after I did. Worst thing is I missed out on three crates and yeah I know I am waiting until end of season two for rewards and it's not exactly like it is the game's doing.

CandleInTheDark
03-31-2017, 11:57 PM
Only way to fix that, is to force class choice before you queue. That might not be a bad thing. Image that once in a blue moon game where it matched you in a team of all 4 classes for your faction.

Sure would be nice if the game itself could say nope your not facing 4 orochi.

They may need to make orders individual then though, so the system is not just flooded with the class of the day.

Damnit, thought I double posted and the same post since I did earlier >.<

I would guess that is what they meant when they said yeah we have heard these problems over gear score and that no one can take a new character into dominion and that something is in the works. Thing is stability is number one issue, then there were the NERF peacekeeper and BUFF lawbringer issues (not that both didn;t need attention).I think they have their priorities in the right place.

Dragoon7272
04-01-2017, 12:33 AM
i would REALLY like to see something like what the OP is suggesting how ever the ONLY problem i have with it is the way the Campaign's story played out. i won't spoil anything but once u play through it, it kind of explains WHY you can be a faction but ANY class

Vingrask
04-01-2017, 12:42 AM
Just give us a way to know what is happening on the map: where allies are placing assets (hotspots) and a system that show some directions based in the players decisions.

The big problem today is that the players are too lazy to look the map and understand what is happening. In an ideal community the actual system would work very well, with the players taking real decisions. But what happen is the majority just placing random assets and attacking for no reason, etc.

Genesiz13
04-01-2017, 01:20 AM
Maybe a XP and scavenge earned boost for playing a hero from your faction? nothing major, just a small thing that'll make your faction choice more meaningfull. also perhaps faction specific symbols and color palletes, that could be unlocked based on contribution to the faction war ( you know, like the trophies, but actual in-game cosmetics).for example, a knight faction symbol that could be unlocked by manually deploying assets while in a faction, or for capturing a territory that you contributed too.
(The symbols and palletes would be universal for all characters btw, like there would be a different symbol depending on your faction, but you can use it on every character)

SendRickPics
04-01-2017, 04:04 AM
We're always looking for a way to get people more invested in their faction choice.

Currently the system as it is does not inspire any sort of interest, it's just a number crunching side game that the individual or the teams have no real influence on since their war assets will be negligible in the grand scheme of things.

More often than not I find myself not even caring about the deployment of war assets because in the end, it doesn't really. The only way I might even have control over a single percentage point would be if I had all of my teammates place in the same exact spot as I do.

The entire fight seems even more pointless when teams are made up of players sworn to the Knights, Samurai, and Vikings. It becomes even more asinine when you've got players sworn to knights, playing as Kensei, and Players sworn to Samurai playing as Valkyries, and so on and so forth.

A faction lock for characters would help solve some of this and create some faction pride. But I'm guessing that's not really an option. Perhaps the matchmaking system could match players based on faction. So all players sworn to knights play together against all players sworn to another faction. However that probably presents some challenges of its own.

Godlymuppet
04-01-2017, 08:42 AM
Nice to see so many think some changes would be nice. I'd love to feel a bit more faction identity.

Having said that though, I would be slightly torn about not playing my Valk so much. I could still play her though, but it would just be for the love of her play style and not gaining rewards.

It's a choice I would knowingly make, when choosing who to play.

kanuzira
04-01-2017, 09:18 AM
Faction war is a bit of a mess right now.

I don't know about other people, but when I chose my faction, I chose the faction that I most identified with and the one I wanted to play the classes of.

I get that people may not want to be locked to a faction for classes and the current situation allows flexibility, but this is at the cost of any sort of faction pride. The current set up actually encourages switching of factions to who is likely to win the next round.

What I would suggest is-
You choose a faction just like you currently do now.
You only earn faction rewards if you play the classes for your currently chosen faction.
You can play the other factions classes, but you earn no rewards for any faction. (you could earn rewards for what ever faction the class belongs to, but imagine the abuse that could occur, ooh Vikings are about to win, ill play them and loose all my games).

What this will encourage is people choosing the faction that has the most classes they enjoy. They will start to have some faction pride. We will see actual faction banter becoming a thing.

of course they need to add actual rewards to the faction war to make people care at all. Id have it be something like-
1st 5 crates
2nd 3 crates
3rd 1 crate

What do you guys think? do you like the way it currently is or would you change it?

Cheers

Godlymuppet

p,s. yes I know my stats suck :P

I completely agree with you. Well thought out.

SendRickPics
04-02-2017, 12:21 AM
Needs more discussion
-Bump

Orisoll
05-21-2017, 02:15 AM
The biggest problem with the faction system is that there isn't one.

Let's say you picked Samurai. Great, here's what that means in the actual game:

- Your icon is a rectangle.
- Your performance makes the map turn blue.

That's it. The extent of the faction system is an icon and a color, both completely separate from the actual gameplay. The matchmaking doesn't take faction into account, so the minions you fight may more may not be your own, the players you're up against may or may not be your fellow Samurai, and there's zero incentive to use heroes from your own faction.

It's shallow, boring, and hasn't been addressed even in passing. The faction war the biggest disappointment in this game.

Vordred
05-21-2017, 02:42 AM
My Suggest is very Simple and easy one, until they decide to do something more major with the faction war.

it's to get rid of the end of Turn bonuses, and instead give that 20% Asset bonus, if you play a character from your faction.
this way anyone can play any character and earn assets for their faction, but if you play characters from your chosen faction you get that 20% extra, and thus contribute more assets for playing as your faction

CoyoteXStarrk
05-21-2017, 02:47 AM

Thats a dealbreaker for me.

I play multiple classes from different factions.

Vordred
05-21-2017, 02:49 AM
Thats a dealbreaker for me.

I play multiple classes from different factions.

yeah that's why my idea was to just give bonus assets for playing your faction, so people can still play other factions well still contributing

Vordred
05-21-2017, 02:56 AM
i also had an idea for a new faction war mode that i posted a long time ago, this would be a new mode, so on the main map along with Duel, Deathmatch and Dominion, you would have a Forth called Faction War.

so for this game mode you could shrink the map a bit, to have less zones if need be, the Faction War game mode would use Dominion as its match type.

but when you enter the mode you are given the map, like when you put down war assets, you can pick a zone that is on your factions front, so if you are a knight you will have 3 zones at the top (Viking Front) and 3 zones on the right (samurai Front) but again you could shrink this down to just one zone and make it more a tug of war style.

now for an example we will pick a zonbe on the Viking Front, it will now put you into match making looking for other players selecting that zone (or that front if going with the tug of war style), and it will be faction locked, so because you picked a zone on the Viking Front you will be Fighting a Team of vikings with your team of Knights.
and of course the side with the most wins in that zone at the end of the turn captures that zone (and if just doing one for a tug of war style, then of course you push towards vikings).

this way we can have Faction locked war, and you can fight both sides, based on which zone you pick, and whoever gets the most wins, well wins.
again you could scale down the map if matchmaking is an issue but you could always have if it cant find you a match in the zone you ask for it could just throw you into one of the other zones.

this give the faction war a bit more meaning but keeps the rest of the game exactly the same.

AkenoKobayashi
05-21-2017, 03:12 AM
I recycle my suggestion from launch; Give 50% extra gains to Heros of the players' chosen faction. Samurai get 50% more XP, Steel, and 20% assets when playing Samurai (and Shinobi), etc. Perhaps a reduction in price for customizations for them as well? 7000 Steel to 3500 Steel for an Emote?

XxHunterHxX
05-21-2017, 03:16 AM
Sounds good !