PDA

View Full Version : Mordhau, maybe you can learn something UBI

Mr_Gallows
03-30-2017, 06:31 PM
Watch the entire video. Good explanation of mechanics in the second half of the video.

https://youtu.be/_mdyYBQWFQs

Mr_Gallows
03-30-2017, 08:20 PM
If you watch the three levels of combat pace in Mordhau.

1. There is the regular blocking an attack and then making your own attack.

2. Then there is the blocking followed by a well timed attack to make a riposte.

3. Last is the chamber that is an attack attacking the opponents attack, with a very quick counter.

Those three levels of pace could easily be in For Honor.

1. Simply blocking and then doing an attack. Like it's working now in For Honor.

2. If you press attack right after a block, the next attack is slightly quicker.

3. Parry should be reworked to fill this position. When two attacks clash, because you try a parry, you can do a chamber attack, leading to quick attacks back and forth.

This three levels of pace, would do a lot for gameplay.

Throw in feints and it's solid.

Much better than what we have now where a skill move like a parry creates a pause in combat. It should speed up combat for Higher level play.

Maaci
03-30-2017, 08:37 PM
I saw no combos. Iam just wondering what will happen when both players know defence? I think i saw one longer duel in that video within the first 3minutes and it did look fast paced and i liked what i saw.
For the rest of the video the people that died were noobs pretty much, so the video doesnt really tell much about the depth of the game yet.

Large scale battles do look to have great potential in that game and it looks like i find it interesting, comapred to other games with large scale battles which i find no interest in whatsoever.

Hopefully they keep it so there are no hardcounters, the pace is there and no stop in combat- so the gameplay is clean - while also making sure there is alot of skill in 1v1 matches.
I do have hopes and from what i have seen they make sure the gameplay is clean so far.
I gave the kickstarter $60 and iam more excited for the alpha than in for honor right now.

JediGamerFurius
03-30-2017, 08:48 PM
Interesting mechanics, also good custom work for characters. But let be honest, frist of all, I doubt that UBI will give a ****, and I must say I didn't like the engine, the character's walk is like Jedi academy, a 14 years old game (not that the jedi academy was a bad game, not at all. It was the best game back in 2003). Also the grafics are poor, and the atack movements seems unreal. But thanks for sharing, I didn't knew this game.

Mr_Gallows
03-30-2017, 08:54 PM
It's pre-Alpha, but combos are more dynamic. Defence is a real skill, because you cannot just block. You actually need to do a parry to defend. Only when you have a shield can you hold the defence, and that becomes vulnerable to the kick (a guard break).

It's just those three levels of pacing I find interresting in relation to For Honor. :)

Something like that could make combat more dynamic, where parries make the game even more skill based by spending up the action instead of putting it on hold for a moment.

JediGamerFurius
03-30-2017, 08:56 PM
It's pre-Alpha, but combos are more dynamic. Defence is a real skill, because you cannot just block. You actually need to do a parry to defend. Only when you have a shield can you hold the defence, and that becomes vulnerable to the kick (a guard break).

It's just those three levels of pacing I find interresting in relation to For Honor. :)

Something like that could make combat more dynamic, where parries make the game even more skill based by spending up the action instead of putting it on hold for a moment.

Agreed, but yet, I don't think UBI will give a ****.

Mr_Gallows
03-31-2017, 12:01 PM
Let's see how much they care. Warriors den today may tell us more.

DrExtrem
03-31-2017, 02:02 PM
Come on mr_gallows.

How many good ideas (that could actually work) came from our side? And how many times we got an answer?

Mr_Gallows
03-31-2017, 04:54 PM
Come on mr_gallows.

How many good ideas (that could actually work) came from our side? And how many times we got an answer?

Yeah well I'm an optimist... still 😂

janstorm2009
03-31-2017, 06:09 PM
First person melee is nauseating. I was getting motion sickness just from watching. Put that into third person and I'm interested.

SAVAGE_CABBAGE1
03-31-2017, 06:29 PM
Lol, you guys are missing the most important pat of Mordhau, where you end them rightly...

Maaci
03-31-2017, 06:58 PM
Well not to much relevant talk today really, still.
*They mentioned they are looking into having more ways to attack. Specifically mentioned parry aswell, looking into changes. But no details, just those general phrases.

The next patch will include class specific balance changes only, damage buff, attack speed buff or nerfs. Also some item changes, some nerfs to the items that revolve around revenge.
They mentioned that they wont "fix" everything with items in the next "major" patch, which they recall it. So more long term is inc as well on that front.

No point playing for me still, sad. I iwll probably have to wait a few more months. Mordhau alpha comes in august.

Mr_Gallows
03-31-2017, 07:37 PM
Yeah they mentioned some serious LB buffs - maybe even a bit over the top. Was nice they did at least mention parry being too strong.

Viruletic
04-01-2017, 08:18 AM
Mordhau looks amazing and I already donated a few dollars to their Kickstart.

HOWEVER, For Honor and Mordhau are almost apples to oranges.

For Honor is more of a fighting game, with mapped combos, techs, Iframes, limited direction attacks, etc. It plays like a fighting game would (albeit with issues) and it's 3d in a more dynamic space, but it's still essentially a fighting game.

Mordhau Is more of a melee combat simulator (is that a thing?) With an incredibly wide range dynamic of infinite direction possibilities and combos which aren't mapped to certain button combinations, with larger scale combat.

Plus I can't imagine how nightmarish it would be on consoles.