PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question on Trimming Aircraft

TOCarroll1954
01-18-2004, 01:08 PM
How in the h*** do you trim out elevator tabs on the IL-2. I know which bottons to hit, but the plane seems to fly like a brick, and then, when I get enough up trim, it thinks it is a hot air baloon. I can not get it back down to level? I have had no trouble with other flight sims, so I think it is something specific to the plane. Help anyone?

TOCarroll1954
01-18-2004, 01:08 PM
How in the h*** do you trim out elevator tabs on the IL-2. I know which bottons to hit, but the plane seems to fly like a brick, and then, when I get enough up trim, it thinks it is a hot air baloon. I can not get it back down to level? I have had no trouble with other flight sims, so I think it is something specific to the plane. Help anyone?

ColoradoBBQ
01-18-2004, 05:21 PM
You're using too much trim. To counter the exploiut of people making bat turns in Il-2 original game, the trim is delayed to let the people without HOTAS to keep up with those with HOTAS.
The idea of trim is to stabilize the aircraft at a given airspeed instead of trying to keep the aircraft level with your joystick. Use small amounts or one keystroke, center the joystick, and look at the crosshair if the plane is rising or falling and add more trim if needed. Also remember that the faster your plane is going, the more trim is needed to keep the plane from departing from the intended flight path.

TOCarroll1954
01-18-2004, 05:59 PM
Thanx! I did not know about the delay. I'll let the aircraft get up to crusing speed & then trim it. With the Microsoft WW2 planes I can trim them as soon as I takeoff.

XyZspineZyX
01-19-2004, 12:30 AM
I do trim during takeoff. If I'm doing some heavy-duty mudmoving in an IL-2 or P-47 with a full ordinance loadout I find I can get airborne quicker by trimming a bit positive w/full flaps. As soon as I'm airborne I bring up the flaps gradually to gain speed. Once flaps are up I begin trimming for level flight.
Better than watching the crosshairs to determine if your gaining/losing altitude, (dangerous in mountains), watch the altimeter.

My 2 kopecks worth.

http://www.il2airracing.com/images/IL2AirRacing.gif
http://www.il2airracing.com/