PDA

View Full Version : Kensei unbelievably "tracky" attacks

We.the.North
03-27-2017, 08:10 AM
Is it just me or a kensei side stepping will take a HUGE step foward before striking, hitting anything that tries to dodge it ?

Udonitron
03-27-2017, 08:19 AM
Issue with Kensei is that he has too much stamina and swings that huge heavy Odachi way too easily and quickly with serious reach.
The Odachi were mainly a ceremonial sword and used very little in daily life as they were way too heavy and long to wear on the belt or back and a serious hassle to draw and sheath.

NeoLocutus
03-27-2017, 08:46 AM
I'm maining the Kensei. I have to admit that in most fights sidestepping+attack, when done right, gave me an edge against my enemy. The swipe is wide and the attack is swift, if your enemy panics you've basically won.

Still when I face an experienced player I get guardbreaked to death (since I can't yet understand how to counter or how to break free when they grab me).

DrinkinMyStella
03-27-2017, 08:56 AM
I'm maining the Kensei. I have to admit that in most fights sidestepping+attack, when done right, gave me an edge against my enemy. The swipe is wide and the attack is swift, if your enemy panics you've basically won.

Still when I face an experienced player I get guardbreaked to death (since I can't yet understand how to counter or how to break free when they grab me).

to counter guard break press the guardbreak button at the same time or very quickly after they attempt a guardbreak.

xLeapingLizardx
03-27-2017, 09:01 AM
Yeah, there be sometimes I think I'm out of his range but suddenly mid swing he almost magnetizes right to my character then hits.
It definitely throws me off and seems unintentional but idk.

secrecy274
03-27-2017, 09:15 AM
Yeah, there be sometimes I think I'm out of his range but suddenly mid swing he almost magnetizes right to my character then hits.
It definitely throws me off and seems unintentional but idk.

Yeah, I agree.
I can punish most side attacks from the other characters, however Kensei's does seem to have better tracking and the opposite direction throws me off when I haven't fought a Kensei in a while. Kensei doesn't seem to be that popular, but I don't really know.

secrecy274
03-27-2017, 10:43 AM
The Warlord has heat seeking attacks too, as does the Raider
As does every character. It simple happens when you dodge too early.

Herbstlicht
03-27-2017, 10:53 AM

Pretty much this; for the sake of improving in this area, try to train some deflecting. It might speed up your dodge skills somewhat and will clearly help in the long run. Besides, you can always block or parry; both are not that hard to do. Specially a parry is pretty devastating due to the Kensei being unable to cancel the attack when started (its just a light one).

So while I agree on having fun against some players (even PK's) using a strong offensive mixed with sidestepping and Kensei's "magic tracking", i really struggle against the stronger ones.

Anyway, do enjoy the level of play you are in right now, advance too far and your perception of balance will greatly shift.

xmelesiox
03-27-2017, 10:55 AM

Not quite. The Warlord you're right if you dodge to his heavy will hit you but his light attack is going to miss and his zone attack will hit you even if you dodge at the right time mostly. I rarely miss hitting somebody with his zone. The raider unblockable is just huge range I haven't had it track even when people dodge early unfortunately. It sometimes hits and sometimes it doesn't depending upon which direction they dodge. Dodging backwards you're still getting struck. To the side most of the time even if you dodge early. That'd be awesome if it did make the raider better. Peacekeeper zone attack tracks because of the second attack. First attack may miss if you dodge but she'll change direction for the second. Same as the Valkryire and Shoguki.

But the Kensai jump unblockable I've dodged completely to the side and had it track me the whole way regardless of how well I dodge/my dodge timing. Hero literally spins in the air and brings it down on me to were I dodge then take the hit unless I parry. It happens everytime. It kind of sucks you can't just dodge it unless you dodge backwards and usually because of the size of his blade you have to dodge roll backwards or still get hit.

Herbstlicht
03-27-2017, 11:08 AM
Oh well, then i guess it is what happens to all of us: lag.

Dunno how bad it gets at times for you, but there are some games, when almost nothing seems to work, despite having the timing figured out damn well for almost everything. And the worse some lag gets, the better for those tracking attacks. But if you, for example, try to fight a Kensei bot, you would swiftly realize that it is not hard to dodge, deflect, block or parry almost any of his moves. Did a lot of practice with Kensei bots (lvl 3). They are nicely readable and reacting to their moves feels very fair, further they have two gb's they use (the one with dodge and the one without), so this training helps with gb counter timing as well.

guor6800
03-27-2017, 11:18 AM
But the Kensai jump unblockable I've dodged completely to the side and had it track me the whole way regardless of how well I dodge/my dodge timing. Hero literally spins in the air and brings it down on me to were I dodge then take the hit unless I parry. It happens everytime. It kind of sucks you can't just dodge it unless you dodge backwards and usually because of the size of his blade you have to dodge roll backwards or still get hit.

Its all about timing. If you misstime the parry you will get hit. Same with dodging. Kenseis top heavy unblockable is definitely dodgable.You ll just have to wait till the last moment (just like parry) otherwise it tracks you

We.the.North
03-27-2017, 07:24 PM
@Herbstlicht : This is not a "get good" discussion and I hate when people start patronizing and start giving gameplay tips instead of discussing the issue at hand. For the sake of arguments, here are my stats : https://fhtracker.com/profile/pc/We.the.North/heroes.

So again, the issue at hand is : "When the Kensei side step into and attack, he takes a HUGE step foward and strike with deadly precision, making him much, much harder to dodge than other characters."

Other players stated they have witness similar weird animations, with the raider for instance, where he would swing his axe and magically teleport 5 step foward to hit you. While this is not gamebreaking, you have to admit there is something weird to it and as a player, it boggles me. It feels unnatural and it's weird to get my head around it because : it is unnatural.

It sounds like an animation glitch that was kept in the game "as a feature" because the kensei had trouble landing a hit otherwise.

xLeapingLizardx
03-27-2017, 09:23 PM
@Herbstlicht : This is not a "get good" discussion and I hate when people start patronizing and start giving gameplay tips instead of discussing the issue at hand. For the sake of arguments, here are my stats : https://fhtracker.com/profile/pc/We.the.North/heroes.
^Yes! Someone said it lol...

In my experience even when it wasn't the Kensei's sidestep attack it would "magnetize" to me.
Like once I backed away from a kensei he threw one regular light attack, goes for the second light attack (Meanwhile I am just letting him whiff away while I was out of range) but suddenly on the second light attack he zooms right up to me and hits me. Definitely caught me off guard haha.

A little illustration:
(Light)....(Begin to light)>>>>>>>>>>>>>(Lights connects)..(Me)

We.the.North
03-27-2017, 09:42 PM
(Light)....(Begin to light)>>>>>>>>>>>>>(Lights connects)..(Me)

Hahahahahahahaha, this is perfect !! Zooooooom : Hit !!