PDA

View Full Version : Why was Valkyrie buffed?

Ratti_Tatti
03-25-2017, 01:00 AM
I'm genuinely baffled by this. I don't think that she's necessarily op and she certainly wasn't bad before the buff. Anyone know why?

CandleInTheDark
03-25-2017, 01:07 AM
According to the notes that went with it, the developers keep an eye on duel win rates, Valkyrie went from the top pre nerf to the bottom after it. I didn't do the betas so I would need someone to confirm this but logically, I would guess that they have tried to put her somewhere between pre and post nerf.

Thinkin0ut
03-25-2017, 01:15 AM
I'm genuinely baffled by this. I don't think that she's necessarily op and she certainly wasn't bad before the buff. Anyone know why?

I believe it was because she had the worst record in duels and brawls than any other character. She's very powerful now, but as long as your solid defensively and can stop her vortex, you should have a fairly easy time, unless the player is skilled and good at switching up combos and defense. I prefer to close the gap and get in her airspace, forcing her to make a move which is usually a light attack that will be parried lol.

UbiJurassic
03-25-2017, 02:17 AM
Valkyrie was very strong during our early testing phases. There was a large amount of feedback stating that she was overpowered and the game data supported this sentiment. Therefore, the team decided to nerf her heavily. The game's final release was the first time she was used by the players since her nerf and we soon found that our changes had been too harsh. In comparison to other heroes, she just wasn't performing the way she was intended to. The goal of her most recent buff was to return her viability without bringing back the monster she had been.

Simi_Xiamara_
03-25-2017, 02:47 AM
Valkyrie was very strong during our early testing phases. There was a large amount of feedback stating that she was overpowered and the game data supported this sentiment. Therefore, the team decided to nerf her heavily. The game's final release was the first time she was used by the players since her nerf and we soon found that our changes had been too harsh. In comparison to other heroes, she just wasn't performing the way she was intended to. The goal of her most recent buff was to return her viability without bringing back the monster she had been.
What do you think about her now?

MrForz
03-25-2017, 02:53 AM
Performs extremely well, close to a S tier, however, she can potentially be punished without the use of a parry most of the time, making her quite unsafe in compensation for a quite large kit with CCs and fast attacks.

UbiJurassic
03-25-2017, 02:55 AM
What do you think about her now?

We think Valkyrie is in a good place right now, but, as with all heroes, we may look to make adjustments in the future.

Thinkin0ut
03-25-2017, 03:08 AM
Actually, she can be punished quite often. I main orochi but i'm good with her. It seems she can be punished off simple blocks with a guaranteed guard break. Am I the only one who has caught on to this? Block her light twice and guard break. Valk is not as OP as she's made out to be, but she IS top 5. PK is the true GOAT you should be afraid of.

ShadowBandit39
03-25-2017, 03:56 AM
Well her light switch up is too fast for certain characters, so in till guardbreak stance switch is the same for everyone. She's OP, only because a game mechanic is broken.

SendRickPics
03-25-2017, 04:49 AM
We think Valkyrie is in a good place right now, but, as with all heroes, we may look to make adjustments in the future.

Most would agree that you may have overdone it just a smidge. The biggest issue most are facing are with her chain knockdown + attack into knockdown into attack spam ad infinitum.

The fact that she can just spam crowd control measures makes her infuriatingly difficult to fight against, and her attacks are devilishly fast with the amount of reach they have.

Thinkin0ut
03-25-2017, 05:07 AM
I hat valks knockdown but people who cant see it coming a mile away just aint experienced enough. A simple step back stops it and even allows you to punish her as you see fit. Her attacks may be slightly fast, but are no faster than berserker, nobushi, or PK. Theyre also punishable off simple blocks as I stated. If you cant block her light attacks quick enough, you may be rotating the stick on defense instead of flicking it. Try flicking, its a major adjustment and it may take a few days, but once you get good at it, everyone besides PK becomes highly blockable. I had a bad habit of rotating it, and it was actually valk who made me realize its a major flaw in my defense. Her step back ram thingy, however, is very powerful considering she can ram, GB, or attack out of it and is definitely OP af since if you try to dodge it and she decides to jump attack out of it, your fkd.

Simi_Xiamara_
03-25-2017, 03:16 PM
I hat valks knockdown but people who cant see it coming a mile away just aint experienced enough. A simple step back stops it and even allows you to punish her as you see fit. Her attacks may be slightly fast, but are no faster than berserker, nobushi, or PK. Theyre also punishable off simple blocks as I stated. If you cant block her light attacks quick enough, you may be rotating the stick on defense instead of flicking it. Try flicking, its a major adjustment and it may take a few days, but once you get good at it, everyone besides PK becomes highly blockable. I had a bad habit of rotating it, and it was actually valk who made me realize its a major flaw in my defense. Her step back ram thingy, however, is very powerful considering she can ram, GB, or attack out of it and is definitely OP af since if you try to dodge it and she decides to jump attack out of it, your fkd.
When you say flick it do you mean set your stance and put your joystick back to neutral? If so how much dose this actually help cuz I tried doing that but have hard time remembering (I use to play a assassin so to block zone and stuff had hold my stance)
I don't have a hard time blocking a valkyrie