PDA

View Full Version : How to enjoy mediocre heroes?

KL4Z1K
03-23-2017, 08:29 AM
Hey guys an gals.

So in a game like this, it's almost impossible for me to not have competetive mindset. But it's also annoying to feel like I'm cheating, by abusing broken heroes.
How do you enjoy this game when playing your favorite mediocre hero?

My favorite hero is Lawbringer, but I can't stand losing to someone else, just because they use a better character, and not because they are more skilled than me. Then I start playing one of the top tier heroes (Conqueror), but I can't enjoy the game by playing broken heroes, where people stand no chance if we're at the same skill level.

So how to enjoy the mediocre heroes?

What are your thoughts?

Wateverdude
03-23-2017, 08:54 AM
I think the problem is your not the heroes. Having fun or not depending on your mindset, I always have a thing for underrated and underpowered character, wrecking people with them makes me feel good. That's why I pick up raider, kensei and LB after warden and conqueror.

KL4Z1K
03-23-2017, 09:36 AM
I think the problem is your not the heroes. Having fun or not depending on your mindset, I always have a thing for underrated and underpowered character, wrecking people with them makes me feel good. That's why I pick up raider, kensei and LB after warden and conqueror.

Well, you're probably right. But if you play to win, you'll always be held back by playing a crap hero, instead of mastering the good heroes.
I'm honestly at a point where I don't enjoy the game. I get wrecked when I play my favorite heroes, and I wreck when I play the somewhat broken ones. But I feel like I cheese when I play the good ones.

I'm at a stalemate, and don't know how to get through it. How do I change my competitive mind?

secrecy274
03-23-2017, 10:31 AM
Well, for one there's the knowledge that you just beat someone with a statistically/mechanically worse hero. Since the Lawbringer can't really abuse one mechanic to win, you know it takes more skill to win as him than most others, and I kind of enjoy his playstyle.
Then there's the appearance of the heroes, and Lawbringer is just the best looking imo.

KL4Z1K
03-23-2017, 11:15 AM
Well, for one there's the knowledge that you just beat someone with a statistically/mechanically worse hero. Since the Lawbringer can't really abuse one mechanic to win, you know it takes more skill to win as him than most others, and I kind of enjoy his playstyle.
Then there's the appearance of the heroes, and Lawbringer is just the best looking imo.

You are so right, but it gets frustrating when you fight anything else than noobs, in my opinion at least.

KL4Z1K
03-23-2017, 12:44 PM
The bots are getting smarter...

Vordred
03-23-2017, 01:24 PM
i don't really care myself, i just play what i like. and i main the LB. but like someone else said i do kinda like play the underdogs, is nice to do well with something everything says is crap

Xb1MasterNoctis
03-23-2017, 01:26 PM
Hey guys an gals.

So in a game like this, it's almost impossible for me to not have competetive mindset. But it's also annoying to feel like I'm cheating, by abusing broken heroes.
How do you enjoy this game when playing your favorite mediocre hero?

My favorite hero is Lawbringer, but I can't stand losing to someone else, just because they use a better character, and not because they are more skilled than me. Then I start playing one of the top tier heroes (Conqueror), but I can't enjoy the game by playing broken heroes, where people stand no chance if we're at the same skill level.

So how to enjoy the mediocre heroes?

What are your thoughts?

I have a competetive mindset too so don't worry just find friends that are the same way.

Now for losing to other people if there just plan better then me i don't get upset but if i'm being attack by two people and mid attack game goes into recovery mode and i died because of it expect to hear me rage. But if i'm dying to someone i know i'm better then them i rage but i found it's better just to go afk just for 10 seconds have drink of water and go back to playing. I main the Orochi

KL4Z1K
03-23-2017, 02:08 PM
I have a competetive mindset too so don't worry just find friends that are the same way.

Now for losing to other people if there just plan better then me i don't get upset but if i'm being attack by two people and mid attack game goes into recovery mode and i died because of it expect to hear me rage. But if i'm dying to someone i know i'm better then them i rage but i found it's better just to go afk just for 10 seconds have drink of water and go back to playing. I main the Orochi

I have no problem either getting my *** kicked by a better player. I often learn from it. I just have problems with playing "bad" heroes. I like games where only my skill is holding me back, and not my character choice. There's a reason the same 4 heroes ends in tourney finals.

Mr.Riot
03-23-2017, 03:24 PM
I think if you learn the basics I.E. parry, GB Cancel, feints, you are pretty much better than half the people who play. From there, I would then start learning hero specific movesets and optimal use of said moveset. Lawbringer is becoming one of favs. I dont think agree with you when you say conqueror is high tier though.

Capoupacap
03-23-2017, 03:47 PM
I personally think that playing the conqueror at really high level is one of the most difficult ! You need to master every part of defense mechanism and play it actively.

It's may be a broken heroes when you play against noob who just spam light attack but against good player, it's another deal

dayLockey
03-23-2017, 04:11 PM
I personally think that playing the conqueror at really high level is one of the most difficult ! You need to master every part of defense mechanism and play it actively.

It's may be a broken heroes when you play against noob who just spam light attack but against good player, it's another deal

Errrrm, yeah ... no. Conqueror is the single easiest, most basic hero in the entire game. Block -> free heavy, block -> side/back dash -> shield charge punish. Rinse and repeat until the enemy player dies of boredom or some incredibly cheesy wall-combo. I've played Conq a fraction of the time I've played other heroes and he's so effective for such little effort it honestly feels like I'm playing an entirely different game/facing Lv1 BOTs. High level it is the same thing, ask any "good" player what they think about Conq and they'll tell you they are the safest, most turtle-centric, anti-fun hero to fight against.

ANYWAYs, as for how2enjoy playing mediocre heroes ... that's a tough question to ask. I mained Nobushi for the first 2-3 weeks of playing For Honor. Very high skill ceiling, very fun to play, really cool looking animations and cosmetics, however she is arguably the single hardest countered hero in For Honor (I'd say tied with Lawbringer). She's a carrot in the ground, her guard change is the slowest in the game, her light attacks are slow and her heavies are even slower. Good players exploit her deadzone weaknesses and put her in the ground before she can make proper adaptations. So many times I've lost to subpar PK/Oro/Conq/Warlord players simply because I'm playing a vastly inferior hero.

I now no longer main Nobushi, she is more or less a counter pick or something I do if Orders require me to play a Hybrid. Trying to enjoy a mediocre hero when you're a competitive person just isn't an easy thing to do. You spend so much of your time on the backfoot that eventually it effects you mentally.

cha_cha_cha-2.0
03-23-2017, 04:44 PM
I do the same thing, and I have a competitive mindset too. What keeps me going is that, eventually, ubisoft might actually offer a proper balance game. And, if that's the case, my zerker and my kensei are going to kick *** as much as my conqueror and my warden.