PDA

View Full Version : Let go of the K/D hold over you.

Nosejob
03-22-2017, 08:16 PM
I've noticed that it is getting harder to finish an actual full game without whoever is behind dropping out due to going 2-8.

I was sitting at around 3.5 k/D not great but good enough for me. I found myself leaving games due to not wanting to drop my k/D due to terrible team or match up. It became all I was concerned about during a match.

I stopped after a match and thought what the hell am I doing and I'm not the only one. People play right up until the end then quit if it's going to hurt their stats that mean nothing.

So let it all go, try new hero's, k/d and win rate mean nothing.

I've sent 20-0 and at the end the entire opposing team all quit meaning my k/D gained nothing. Happens all the time. Go back to just enjoying the game.

cragar212
03-22-2017, 08:31 PM
The only people who care about W/L and K/D are Call of duty kiddies. Everyone knows the stats are meaningless since they easily be manipulated.

Gray360UK
03-22-2017, 08:33 PM
I wish they didn't have K/D and Win / Loss in games, as I am sure quitting is the main thing it encourages.
That, and in games like Battlefield 1 where people can look up your stats, these stats give people yet another means by which to insult others and deny them the right to an opinion on anything. I have already seen a 'your K/D is not good enough for you to talk' comment on these forums, since For Honor Tracker became a thing.

I don't remember K/D and W/L always being a thing, and I kinda wish it wasn't now.
I've seen little good come from introducing stats for people to obsess over and insult others because of.

I do of course appreciate that some people like these stats and use them to keep track of their progress or to compare themselves to others.

I played World of Warcraft for 4 years, and PvPed almost every day. While I had good games and bad games, won some, lost some, went on huge killing sprees some days and got ganked into the ground other days, I never had any idea of what my overall K/D was or what my overall W/L was. A good day was a good day, a good game was a good game. A bad day was a bad day, a bad game was a bad game. It left no lasting mark either way. There was no record of failure to be upset about. Personal pride and achievement, maybe your reputation on your server, was all that counted. I believe that was a good thing.

Thanapetus
03-22-2017, 11:13 PM
I wish they didn't have K/D and Win / Loss in games, as I am sure quitting is the main thing it encourages.
That, and in games like Battlefield 1 where people can look up your stats, these stats give people yet another means by which to insult others and deny them the right to an opinion on anything. I have already seen a 'your K/D is not good enough for you to talk' comment on these forums, since For Honor Tracker became a thing.

I don't remember K/D and W/L always being a thing, and I kinda wish it wasn't now.
I've seen little good come from introducing stats for people to obsess over and insult others because of.

I do of course appreciate that some people like these stats and use them to keep track of their progress or to compare themselves to others.

I played World of Warcraft for 4 years, and PvPed almost every day. While I had good games and bad games, won some, lost some, went on huge killing sprees some days and got ganked into the ground other days, I never had any idea of what my overall K/D was or what my overall W/L was. A good day was a good day, a good game was a good game. A bad day was a bad day, a bad game was a bad game. It left no lasting mark either way. There was no record of failure to be upset about. Personal pride and achievement, maybe your reputation on your server, was all that counted. I believe that was a good thing.

You didnt play wow during the Honor farm era of Tauren Mill/Southshore zergs. Grinding a warrior to High Warlord in those days took effort. I loved the arena system where you and a few buddies could fight others for top spot on a server.

This game has none of that. This game is a cash cow for some other upcoming massive title UBIsoft is pushing out like someone with constipation.

Gray360UK
03-22-2017, 11:30 PM
You didnt play wow during the Honor farm era of Tauren Mill/Southshore zergs. Grinding a warrior to High Warlord in those days took effort.

Oh I did :D

But it was based on honour points as you say, not your K/D or W/L (although the better you did the more honour you earned, of course)
Honourable Kills (HKs) and Honour Contribution Points decided your rank.
Nothing at all to do with ratio of kills to deaths or ratio of wins to losses. Those stats still did not exist and so my point still stands.
A bad game was still a bad game, a good one a good one, K/D was not visible, neither was W/L
There was no motivation to quit because of a poor peformance in an individual game. Quite the opposite.
Every minute spent PvPing gave you more HKs or HCP and so you would not have dreamed of quitting.

I was one of the most active PvPers on my Server.
All you had to do was play for enough hours in the day to earn more honour than the other people on your server.
It was entirely time based. In the end I simply didn't have enough hours in the day to make it to Grand Marshal (the highest Alliance rank)
I did however make it to Marshal, and still have that title to this day.
I was the only alliance Night Elf Rogue Marshal on my server and only one player made it to Grand Marshal.