PDA

View Full Version : Warlord questions

LinkZeppeloyd
03-22-2017, 01:19 AM
Hey all,

I mostly play as Warlord now, most of my friends have dropped FH but I still like to play against bots and duel people. There are a few things I'm not sure I'm understanding/doing right, and I'm curious if someone can assist me with the following:

1. When others parry me, they seem to get a free guard break on me. Yet, when I parry someone, about 9/10 times, I cannot physically reach them to GB. If I try to move to them the GB, they've already recovered and just CGB. If I just try to GB without moving after the parry.... sometimes I slide/warp up to them and grab them, but most of the time I just grab air and whiff. So now, pretty much the only reason I use my ublockable headbut is because I can actually REACH the enemy with it after the parry. Good thing you'd have to hit someone what, 20 or 30 times with his light to actually kill them. But I'm not willing to spam this, so basically It just my only viable "post parry" move.

2. If and when I actually do GB someone, aren't you supposed to get a guaranteed heavy? Most other characters do this to me regularly, I do not seem to be able to do anything about it. Yet I almost always get blocked if I try a heavy. I get the free heavy after throwing someone into a wall, but don't other characters get a free heavy no matter what? Warlord's light attacks do very little damage and are quite slow, so I'm trying to get more heavies in.

3. And finally, when I throw/knock someone to the ground... about half the time I simply cannot attack them. It's like, my L/R mouse buttons just won't attack... I think it's because WL has really short reach? But isn't attacking people when on the ground extremely important? That's basically how people kill me. Is this a specific handicap of the Warlord, or are there only certain attacks that work when an enemy is on the ground?

4. Ok finally finally... is the Warlord just bad at dodging, or am I not doing something right? I can parry and CGB with extreme ease... yet against unblockable spam, I just have an extremely hard time dodging. It just seems to happen so fast, and if you are anywhere near, well anything, a lot of times you just don't have the space to dodge. Am I supposed to just fight fire with fire and spam headbut/light? That's what people seem to do to me. But if that's the "meta," this just sucks.

Thanks!

UbiJurassic
03-22-2017, 01:41 AM
Hey LinkZeppeloyd,

I'll do my best to address your questions, although my allegiance mainly lies with the Knights. ;)

1. All the heroes tend to have different GB distances. This makes GB post-parry a valid tactic for some classes, but for others following it with an attack, such as your headbutt, is the best thing to do. Perhaps some of our more experienced Warlord players could chime in with some combo tips.

2. GB's don't necessarily guarantee a free heavy. Heavy attacks come out faster for some characters than others. For example, an assassin's heavy attack will come out faster than a heavy hero's. It also depends on what stance you are in when you use your heavy. Unless I'm mistaken, Warden's top heavy will come out faster than her side heavy attacks.

3. Hitting someone on the ground should be possible with all heroes. If you can, try and record a video clip of an instance in which this is occurs.This will allow players to chime in on why it's not working or allow the community team to forward it as an issue that needs to be investigated.

TheHolyPug
03-22-2017, 04:19 AM
I hear ya about #3. its like the mouse is so non responsive sometimes. Happens a lot and in not just that situation.

Simi_Xiamara_
03-22-2017, 04:44 AM
2. GB's don't necessarily guarantee a free heavy. Heavy attacks come out faster for some characters than others. For example, an assassin's heavy attack will come out faster than a heavy hero's. It also depends on what stance you are in when you use your heavy. Unless I'm mistaken, Warden's top heavy will come out faster than her side heavy attacks.

Other way around. Wardens side heavy is faster then top heavy

xmelesiox
03-22-2017, 05:19 AM
Alright I mained Warlord for a long time and I understand some of your frustrations.

1: Warlord unfortunately doesn't have the reach to parry and then guardbreak. His grab isn't long enough. Headbutt can be followed by a grab or you can hit them with a light attack it has a little farther reach then his guardbreak. Sad life I know but no parry guardbreak for Warlord.

2: I don't think it's guaranteed but the only one that lands for the warlord after a grab is a top heavy. Side heavies are still blockable but most people can't seem to block the top heavy after a grab about 90% of the time. Sometimes they still manage to unfortunately.

3: Warlord's attack range is short so if you break someones stamina and toss them to the ground you're throwing them outside of your attack range. If you do the jump forward heavy attack you'll get them before they get back or can block usually. Literally the distance people fall is miles outside your attack range but it shouldn't stop you from swinging. So if your buttons aren't responding or swinging at all I'm not sure what's up with that.

4: Yes Warlord sucks at dodging. His dodge is very sluggish feeling and maybe it's just me but he barely moves. In fact I've successfully pulled off my entire dodge and still it wasn't enough to get out of the way the Lawbringer shove or the Conquerer shield bash. Now I can get a zone attack off to hit them while they are charging it, take the shove, take the follow up and then double dodge to roll away. Usually I end up doing more damage in the exchange. But dodging itself doesn't seem to work.

Veerdin-Wraith
03-22-2017, 05:35 AM
Hey there! Player with quite a lot of time under my belt, here. I've not got a huge experience with Warlord, but I'll try my best to give you some advice!

1. When others parry me, they seem to get a free guard break on me. Yet, when I parry someone, about 9/10 times, I cannot physically reach them to GB. If I try to move to them the GB, they've already recovered and just CGB. If I just try to GB without moving after the parry.... sometimes I slide/warp up to them and grab them, but most of the time I just grab air and whiff. So now, pretty much the only reason I use my ublockable headbut is because I can actually REACH the enemy with it after the parry. Good thing you'd have to hit someone what, 20 or 30 times with his light to actually kill them. But I'm not willing to spam this, so basically It just my only viable "post parry" move.

I've noticed this, too, honestly. The same seems to be true of my main (Lawbringer) in that everyone I face seems able to do a really great post-parry GB, but I'm stuck with one of two easily parryable attacks (Overhead unblockable that moves at roughly the same speed as a glacier for light parry. Incredibly slow and easy to block charge stab for heavy parry, iirc) At this point, I think you just need to experiment to see what classes can get free GBs after parry: I'm pretty sure all the Vanguard and Assassin classes can do it, but I'm not sure if it's possible/impossible for all the Heavy and Hybrids.

2. If and when I actually do GB someone, aren't you supposed to get a guaranteed heavy? Most other characters do this to me regularly, I do not seem to be able to do anything about it. Yet I almost always get blocked if I try a heavy. I get the free heavy after throwing someone into a wall, but don't other characters get a free heavy no matter what? Warlord's light attacks do very little damage and are quite slow, so I'm trying to get more heavies in.

Like the developer guy said, it's all about speed. I think all of Orochi's attacks are fast enough for a GB hit, but others, like Warden, are variable. Warden gets free sidee heavies, but not a free top heavy. None of Lawbringer heavy attacks work after a GB, but I think the Valk and Nobushi can get free top and side heavies respectively. Conq can't seem to get any free heavies, and I know that PK's top heavy is also too slow.

In general, the knights seem to be the worst off here, can't speak for the Vikings but Samurai always seem to manage it.

Now, personally, I hate the fact that some classes can get a free heavy after guardbreaking - my biggest pet peeve being Orochi, because they do huge damage with it and a very common tactic from Orochi is to deflect/parry one attack, get a free GB then free heavy, rinse and repeat 3 or 4 times to kill most enemies.

3. And finally, when I throw/knock someone to the ground... about half the time I simply cannot attack them. It's like, my L/R mouse buttons just won't attack... I think it's because WL has really short reach? But isn't attacking people when on the ground extremely important? That's basically how people kill me. Is this a specific handicap of the Warlord, or are there only certain attacks that work when an enemy is on the ground?

As a fellow M&K user, I can also confirm I experience this. At first I thought I just had crap reflexes, but often enough it seems that my attack just doesn't register. I also seem to have a huge amount of trouble aiming attacks following GBs and parries (they seem to default to tops) but this could just be me.

Even so, it seems like controllers give an undeniable advantage in this game, which isn't a good thing in my opinion.

4. Ok finally finally... is the Warlord just bad at dodging, or am I not doing something right? I can parry and CGB with extreme ease... yet against unblockable spam, I just have an extremely hard time dodging. It just seems to happen so fast, and if you are anywhere near, well anything, a lot of times you just don't have the space to dodge. Am I supposed to just fight fire with fire and spam headbut/light? That's what people seem to do to me. But if that's the "meta," this just sucks.

Your guess is as good as mine, here. I also seem to have huge trouble with dodge timing. Even playing classes who are supposed to do dodging a lot like Orochi and Peacekeeper, I seem to struggle to dodge a lot of attacks, like I'll spam the dodge button when I see the enemy start to attack, only to have my character shuffle slightly sideways like a dolt then get an axe to the face. Meanwhile, when I try to fight against Berserker, they always seem to dodge every attack I throw at them.

ashvau
03-22-2017, 06:57 AM
I main warlord- after a parry>shield counter>side heavy or light