PDA

View Full Version : Raider vs Peacekeeper

Kovah131
03-21-2017, 10:54 PM
... is laughable. How are you supposed to win without being vastly more skilled/more geared than your opponent Peacekeeper? Raider blocks don't even work fast enough for the light attack spam. If there are two opponents of the same skill, one raider, one PK, the PK will steamroll him. Any suggestions on how to deal with it? I'm all out.

xmelesiox
03-22-2017, 05:35 AM
Alright I play PK and Raider. I mained Raider during the beta and just recently starting playing him again so my Raider Prestige is only one so my gear is laughable. Constantly fighting higher gear PKs on him. You definitely have a challenging fight on your hands as a raider going against a PK even if your gear is matched. Even more so if that PK is extremely good at parrying and is purely using the light attack spam when they close in. It is a winnable fight but not going to be easy. One or two mistakes and you're done for.

Light attacks against her are your friends. Your guard does change fast enough to block the lights but BARELY meaning you have to be spot on and kind of psychic to get it right. Don't try to parry unless she is doing a lunge heavy of some sort just block then try to get a one two light attack combo in. Avoid heavies unless you get the lunging head stun in or daze her in someway. Your lunge head hit, not sure what it's called, and lunge guard break can catch them off guard because it closes the distance just as fast as a PK can. Try to keep her back towards some wall or object so when you land a guard break you can pick her up and knee her in the face for the daze. When you get the daze off get your heavy attack in. Don't go for the unblockable, even though it does high damage, because it comes from the same attack direction everytime so she'll be able to parry it even while blind.

Yeah that's your tactics. You're either going to slowly chip away at her with side light attacks, they seem faster then the top, or get your dazes on her for hard hits. Only way I've managed to do it. The dazes are the best way to go because she goes down fast if you can land the heavies. Cancel a heavy attack into a light daze attack, grab her to knee her in the face or dodge jump daze attack. You have really good reach with that big axe so dodging back usually isn't going to get her out of the way of your heavy attack and sometimes you'll still hit on side dodges. When blinded for those few seconds she'll try to dodge one way or the other and it usually doesn't work.

Good luck.

Mia.Nora
03-22-2017, 05:49 AM
I think the most pointless decision game balance-wise is making guard stance change speed varying.
It is a real pity that raider changes stance slower. It is not an issue of PK being OP, or Raider player needing to get better.

It is simply mechanical design mistake. All classes should change stance at same speed. /period

KILLYA4SCRILLA
03-22-2017, 06:06 AM
I think the most pointless decision game balance-wise is making guard stance change speed varying.
It is a real pity that raider changes stance slower. It is not an issue of PK being OP, or Raider player needing to get better.

It is simply mechanical design mistake. All classes should change stance at same speed. /period

I totally agree with this.

WoodDaGawd
03-22-2017, 06:53 PM
Dodge more instead of trying to block more

zide-
03-22-2017, 08:00 PM
It's not a Raider issue, PK is OP against all classes.

Iuslez_
03-22-2017, 09:30 PM
I'd say that - as usual as a raider- your answer is : parry ! parry ! parry ! Play a bit passiv and parry everything, and that include the lights. If you parry a light, you get a guranteed heavy. Do it a few time and the game is over. You need to parry 100% her slower Attack (the forward lunge and the side dash), into gb and whatever combo is available. You need to know to 90dmg combo and be able to get it out in any situation.

Feints can trigger a dash on her side, that you'll then parry. But only if out of her light range, otherwise she'll just throw one to interrupt your heavy (and with the cancel time, you won't even be able to block that one).

Other than that use lights so that she doesn't feel completely comfortable staying in front of you. Dash works pretty well, both to avoid attacks and to position yourself.

If she plays it safe, using only lights, gb, and zone glitch (which most PK don't do), you have 0% chance, since you won't be able to reliably parry (or even defend). In the final in one of the last tournament, SypherPK tried to use his raider since he thought he had good chance with it. He got wrecked by the zone glitch and went back to his shugoki (and almost won).
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/130052792 the game starts at 4:35: 25

TR.WhiskeyD
03-22-2017, 09:57 PM
Alright I play PK and Raider. I mained Raider during the beta and just recently starting playing him again so my Raider Prestige is only one so my gear is laughable. Constantly fighting higher gear PKs on him. You definitely have a challenging fight on your hands as a raider going against a PK even if your gear is matched. Even more so if that PK is extremely good at parrying and is purely using the light attack spam when they close in. It is a winnable fight but not going to be easy. One or two mistakes and you're done for.

Light attacks against her are your friends. Your guard does change fast enough to block the lights but BARELY meaning you have to be spot on and kind of psychic to get it right. Don't try to parry unless she is doing a lunge heavy of some sort just block then try to get a one two light attack combo in. Avoid heavies unless you get the lunging head stun in or daze her in someway. Your lunge head hit, not sure what it's called, and lunge guard break can catch them off guard because it closes the distance just as fast as a PK can. Try to keep her back towards some wall or object so when you land a guard break you can pick her up and knee her in the face for the daze. When you get the daze off get your heavy attack in. Don't go for the unblockable, even though it does high damage, because it comes from the same attack direction everytime so she'll be able to parry it even while blind.

Yeah that's your tactics. You're either going to slowly chip away at her with side light attacks, they seem faster then the top, or get your dazes on her for hard hits. Only way I've managed to do it. The dazes are the best way to go because she goes down fast if you can land the heavies. Cancel a heavy attack into a light daze attack, grab her to knee her in the face or dodge jump daze attack. You have really good reach with that big axe so dodging back usually isn't going to get her out of the way of your heavy attack and sometimes you'll still hit on side dodges. When blinded for those few seconds she'll try to dodge one way or the other and it usually doesn't work.

Good luck.

You're not looking big picture here, and in your own words - 1 or 2 mistakes and YOU are done, but you have to slowly chip away at them? That is not balanced. Peacekeeper is too forgiving for skilled players and raider mechanics simply cannot compete without the other player making serious mistakes. Equal player skill, I'd put my money on PK every time. That shouldn't be the case. Particularly when one hero can abuse a single attack and the other has to use their entire kit, often with no real gains (assuming you never get to land a heavy).

Karma_Ghost
03-22-2017, 10:22 PM
If she plays it safe, using only lights, gb, and zone glitch (which most PK don't do), you have 0% chance, since you won't be able to reliably parry (or even defend). In the final in one of the last tournament, SypherPK tried to use his raider since he thought he had good chance with it. He got wrecked by the zone glitch and went back to his shugoki (and almost won).
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/130052792 the game starts at 4:35: 25

Light spam is such an easy way to win, even the bad ones know to do this.

xmelesiox
03-23-2017, 07:05 AM
You're not looking big picture here, and in your own words - 1 or 2 mistakes and YOU are done, but you have to slowly chip away at them? That is not balanced. Peacekeeper is too forgiving for skilled players and raider mechanics simply cannot compete without the other player making serious mistakes. Equal player skill, I'd put my money on PK every time. That shouldn't be the case. Particularly when one hero can abuse a single attack and the other has to use their entire kit, often with no real gains (assuming you never get to land a heavy).

Well to be honest one or two mistakes from the Peacekeeper and she's done for as well it's just the raider is so slow in comparison. You come up short for a grab you're going to get grabbed and stabbed. Swing your heavy at the wrong time she's going to deflect it into more bleed damage. But your light attacks are the key to taking away some of her confidence to spam her light attacks. She won't want to close in and abuse it if you're trading blows because the raider hit harders. Then also your light attacks can daze if you cancel a heavy or dash attack which opens a window to stun. So you chip away with the light attacks till you can get a daze in and then you hit her with the heavy.

Any PK that just spams light attacks should be easy to steam roll. That isn't a lot of damage and her light attack to stamina cost is pretty high meaning she'll exhaust herself before you die or have to back off to regen stamina. I don't just use light attacks on my PK and I wouldn't because its easy to counter. Easy blocks or even parry the first one, the slowest one, then I get punished in some way. I have to dodge heavy attack, use my counter moves, move around their unblockables or bashes, GB to bleed them out and dance about to win.

On my Raider I have to close the distance, daze them in some way and swing like a truck. Last night alone in Duel I won 1v1 vs a PK as Raider. In Deathmatch my Raider is only prestige 1 with lvl 20 gear and I destroyed a 108 gear lvl PK. I got my daze off early, hit her with a heavy, grabbed to run her into the wall, another daze into a heavy and then when she tried to back I used my unblockable and she failed the parry. It's doable.

Iuslez_
03-23-2017, 08:53 AM
^ honestly, if you get pommel strikes on a PK, it means that he is not good, plain and simple. An average pk will easily dodge it, while a good one should be able to get a parry of every one you throw at him. Same goes for heavies, except maybe if you surprise the PK by letting one out after 10 feints, but otherwise a PK should never get hit by a heavy. Those advices will only work against someone that barely know how to play this game (or in the rush of a dominion, but not in a 1v1 situation)

Wateverdude
03-23-2017, 09:01 AM
As a Raider I usually keep distance when vsing PKs. Then they usually have 2 way to apprach you, dash forward top or zone cancel. Try to parry the jumping attack, it's easy. The zone cancel is hard to parry so try to block. Dont let her grab you.

KL4Z1K
03-23-2017, 09:54 AM
Your guard does change fast enough to block the lights but BARELY meaning you have to be psychic to get it right.

Fixed that for you.

xmelesiox
03-23-2017, 12:38 PM
Fixed that for you.

Thanks!