PDA

View Full Version : Faction War doesn't matter if turns don't matter.

waraidako
03-14-2017, 06:55 PM
Clearly the winner of a round should be whoever had the largest amount of war assets or territories total, not just whoever has most during the last round. Even your game modes understand this concept. Imagine if duels was 5 rounds, and the first 4 rounds didn't matter in the slightest, and whoever won the last round won the whole thing. That's the faction war right now.

dmitry32167
03-14-2017, 07:26 PM
Add to that the crappy rewards (equivalent of 1000-1500 steel), and very unclear resources allocation (all 3 factions fight mixed together). Faction War does not matter. Period.

Overaja
03-14-2017, 07:49 PM
-

wetterberg
03-14-2017, 07:54 PM
Yeah it makes it not even interesting or fun to deploy assets unless it's like the last day of the round. I think the winner should be the one with the most controlled areas combined from every turn.

TR.WhiskeyD
03-14-2017, 08:55 PM
Yeah it makes it not even interesting or fun to deploy assets unless it's like the last day of the round. I think the winner should be the one with the most controlled areas combined from every turn.

Agreed - it should be based on average performance for the round. They already have a mechanic that reduces war assets for high pops and increases for low pops.

Mjolnir1337
03-14-2017, 09:07 PM
The one that I would like to see is matchmaking adjusted so factions are paired together if possible.

I pledged to Vikings. When I que for a game, why would I get put with Samurai and Knight (factions) on my team? It makes no sense...

If I am fighting against Samurai in a zone, for control over that territory... and I get matched with 3 Samurai on my team, its almost better for me to LOSE that match to not give the 3 Samurai (faction) the assets to deploy....

What makes me facepalm harder is my opponents will be Vikings (my faction) and my allies will be other factions... It makes it irrelevant.

I also agree that there needs to be a better reason to care about the faction war as a whole... Right now I dont feel compelled AT ALL to log in and participate unless I know we are <24 hours away from a round ending.

I think what I would almost rather see is a system where the territories only change at the end of each round, in which rather than %s, you can see how many the other faction has pledged over that round. At the end of the round you then see some territories change based on the assets deployed in that space. Then at the end of the season, you COULD base it on the total # owned - because it WOULD be a summary of each of the Rounds.

As 1 faction gets backed up, it gets easier for them to defend.

TLDR: Territories only change ownership at the end of each round and it totals the number of deployed assets for each territory and whoever has the most, wins that territory. Next round that territory is now locked and you fight over the NEXT territories -either closer or further from you.

Now there would be advantages to logging in each day and a sense of "permanence" and strategy. Also I think you shouldnt be able to deploy say, dominion earned assets in a NON-dominion territory. Yes, they should move around but if I want to beef up "Territory X" I should have to play that game type.

It creates strategy and diversity and a sense of permanence.

Right now I just dont care much.

TR.WhiskeyD
03-14-2017, 09:32 PM
The one that I would like to see is matchmaking adjusted so factions are paired together if possible.

I pledged to Vikings. When I que for a game, why would I get put with Samurai and Knight (factions) on my team? It makes no sense...

If I am fighting against Samurai in a zone, for control over that territory... and I get matched with 3 Samurai on my team, its almost better for me to LOSE that match to not give the 3 Samurai (faction) the assets to deploy....

What makes me facepalm harder is my opponents will be Vikings (my faction) and my allies will be other factions... It makes it irrelevant.

I also agree that there needs to be a better reason to care about the faction war as a whole... Right now I dont feel compelled AT ALL to log in and participate unless I know we are <24 hours away from a round ending.

I think what I would almost rather see is a system where the territories only change at the end of each round, in which rather than %s, you can see how many the other faction has pledged over that round. At the end of the round you then see some territories change based on the assets deployed in that space. Then at the end of the season, you COULD base it on the total # owned - because it WOULD be a summary of each of the Rounds.

TLDR: Territories only change ownership at the end of each round and it totals the number of deployed assets for each territory and whoever has the most, wins that territory. Next round that territory is now locked and you fight over the NEXT territories -either closer or further from you.

Now there would be advantages to logging in each day and a sense of "permanence" and strategy. Also I think you shouldnt be able to deploy say, dominion earned assets in a NON-dominion territory. Yes, they should move around but if I want to beef up "Territory X" I should have to play that game type.

It creates strategy and diversity and a sense of permanence.

Right now I just dont care much.

As cool as this idea (grouping factions) might be it would never work. It would send match making times through the rough and teams would like be unbalanced even more frequently. This would only have worked if your class was locked to your faction of choice. That in turn would drive away more players than it would bring to the table.

It already does mate. Less territories to spread war assets over.

The mechanic change you are proposing is what we already have you're just slowing it down and making it more boring. Rather than seeing territory control change every 6 hours your are seeing it change once...for the round. 5 changes over a three month period. There is less push and shove and if you push hard enough for 3 rounds the last two wouldn't really matter. It would either be a win or a stalemate because the opposing faction couldn't recover the ground you gained. That means for two whole rounds you have no reason to play to contribute to the war.

Deployed war assets are pointless to use as a victory criteria. Just because you have the most resources doesn't mean you win a war. That's why it is important to manually deploy assets and not just let them dust over all zones ineffectually. It should be based on the average of every turn in a round. That makes turns matter and is a far simpler solution (and less boring) than what you are proposing. This would need to be tweaked to accommodate more for population fluctuations.

Nosmer1
03-14-2017, 09:35 PM
As far as im concerned, Devs said on stream once that right now faction war is a placeholder, and they will look into it once they finish balancing gameplay.

AkenoKobayashi
03-14-2017, 10:21 PM
How was EndWar's Theater of War done? If anyone remembers that game...I never played Theater, but I'm sure it was better than how this is.

iLL_M3GA
03-15-2017, 02:36 AM
Clearly the winner of a round should be whoever had the largest amount of war assets or territories total, not just whoever has most during the last round. Even your game modes understand this concept. Imagine if duels was 5 rounds, and the first 4 rounds didn't matter in the slightest, and whoever won the last round won the whole thing. That's the faction war right now.

What faction do you play with? If it's Vikings, then it sounds like you're crying because the same thing happened to you that happened to the Samurai in the first round.

I made a similar thread with some suggestions as well to help balance the faction war and give incentives to playing or sticking with players of your same faction, or using heroes of your actual faction. Also giving the individual turns more meaning besides, "Hey, let's all push since it's the last turn and that's the only one that matters."

Peep it out: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1606531-Faction-War-Balance-Ideas?