PDA

View Full Version : Controlling mixture and propeller

jfri
04-21-2004, 04:54 PM
So far I have always mixture and propeller at the maximum settings and havn't noticed any problems. I fly the LA 5NF. Are this controls set to automatic as default?
When is there reason to change this controls and what do I gain by it?

jfri
04-21-2004, 04:54 PM
So far I have always mixture and propeller at the maximum settings and havn't noticed any problems. I fly the LA 5NF. Are this controls set to automatic as default?
When is there reason to change this controls and what do I gain by it?

VW-IceFire
04-21-2004, 07:02 PM
Well a couple of things.

The La-5FN to my knowledge is like every other type of Russian fighter. It uses a constant speed propeller (CPS) so "propeller pitch" control actually isn't controlling the pitch but rather tha RPM's that your engine is running at. You may never run into this but at lower RPMs you can conserve fuel. It may also be useful in some extreme manuvers and potentially in landing. In combat and normal situations you should be at 100% pitch in the La-5. In a 109 and a 190 you have a different setup...in the 109 especially you really need to be a master at controlling the pitch otherwise you'll overrev the engine and destroy it. I'm not good at it so someone else will have to help you on that (I just use Auto when I fly a 109).

Fuel mix I forget if it really does anything for the La-5 but at 3500 meters or more the Yak's need to have the fuel mix cut back otherwise the engine is getting too much fuel and it looses power.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/tmv-sig1.jpg
RCAF 412 Falcon Squadron - "Swift to Avenge"