PDA

View Full Version : [Bug Report]Parry Is Bugged(Video Proof)

I.Need.Healing.
03-12-2017, 06:50 AM
Parrying on the last frames of a parry window gets you hit, video below. Please fix this.

https://gfycat.com/HollowNegligibleBlackbear
https://gfycat.com/EminentHomelyIcelandgull
https://gfycat.com/ShockedFalseCygnet#?speed=0.125

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cVyMylEr_c

PS If someone can tell me a better way to get this bug across to devs, please tell.

TCTF_SWAT
03-12-2017, 06:53 AM
The parry window is the white flash. At least that's what the tutorial says.

I.Need.Healing.
03-12-2017, 06:56 AM
The parry window is the white flash. At least that's what the tutorial says.

The parry works from when the indicator gets big(and flashes) until the attack hits you. Even if you parry after the white flash, it will still work. Unless it is my case.

TCTF_SWAT
03-12-2017, 07:06 AM
Hmmmmm although it could explain something for me. Failing to parry heavies at times. It's a possibly.

Felis_Menari
03-12-2017, 09:43 AM
Until the devs get this sort of crap ironed out, there no chance that For Honor will be eSports worthy.

I.Need.Healing.
03-13-2017, 01:21 AM
Until the devs get this sort of crap ironed out, there no chance that For Honor will be eSports worthy.
I agree, this needs to be fixed.

H4KAI-
03-13-2017, 01:24 AM
Thank you so much, I thought I was crazy, or that my weapon was disappearing last moment

TCTF_SWAT
03-13-2017, 01:28 AM
ESports? Is what we're aiming for? Ugh....great.....

I.Need.Healing.
03-13-2017, 02:37 AM
Here is another example i made: https://gfycat.com/EminentHomelyIcelandgull

MinaX-LorD
03-13-2017, 04:24 AM
Well maybe thats how its supposed to work? You shouldn't be able to tap heavy attack at the last possible second that its going to hit and then get a parry. That would make it even easier. I've never had a problem parrying attacks unless I hit it way too early. If you're hitting it way too late, thats kind of on yourself. Parrying is ridiculously easy.

If anything they should just shave off those extra couple flash frames on the parry window.

Felis_Menari
03-13-2017, 04:44 AM
ESports? Is what we're aiming for? Ugh....great.....

I only mention it because generally that's what devs of this kind of game (competitive Pvap) aim for. I guess another way to put it, is that with bugs and unintended mechanics like this or soft-feinting (as it currently works), For Honor's gameplay simply isn't balanced enough to be worthy enough to be considered for any tournament where anything of value is on the line.

I.Need.Healing.
03-13-2017, 12:10 PM
I added more example to the opening post. Those examples being these two:

I.Need.Healing.
03-14-2017, 02:24 AM
Hey heres a thought. Maybe you have an ISIS internet connection or the other guy does and its simply a connect problem cause that never happens to me.

The other guy is a bot, and i doubt 0 ping could be classified as "connection problem".

Gemini-Iceland
03-14-2017, 03:02 AM
If they make parry stronger, this game is done for, seriously... As it is only heroes that compete at high level are the ones that have unparriable attacks and extremely fast ones. All the heroes that rely on heavy chains and such can't compete since they get parried so easily.

I.Need.Healing.
03-14-2017, 10:59 AM
If they make parry stronger, this game is done for, seriously... As it is only heroes that compete at high level are the ones that have unparriable attacks and extremely fast ones. All the heroes that rely on heavy chains and such can't compete since they get parried so easily.

It doesn't matter how strong something is, it should not be misleading. They should fix the bug regardless of the power level of anything. If something is strong, it should be adjusted, not bugged to compensate.

Gemini-Iceland
03-14-2017, 01:26 PM
It doesn't matter how strong something is, it should not be misleading. They should fix the bug regardless of the power level of anything. If something is strong, it should be adjusted, not bugged to compensate.

Doubt this is a bug to begin with... The parry window is stated to be when the blink is during the training. Not after the blink...

Zeekoh
03-14-2017, 05:45 PM
Doubt this is a bug to begin with... The parry window is stated to be when the blink is during the training. Not after the blink...

I am literally sitting here in the tutorial right now and it doesn't mention anything what you're describing. The most it says is to wait until the flash to start your heavy. Even after the flash you can obviously press your heavy attack to parry. If you can parry even then, it makes ZERO sense for an attempted parry to get broken through at the last instant. Especially when your guard would be in the proper position to block the attack. If, for whatever stupid reason, the developers don't want last instant parries... they should at least allow the block to stay active.

I've noticed this too. Multiple attacks in a row, which should have been parried, have gone right through my block on SO many occasions since the update. I've noticed a significant drop in my performance since the update but I couldn't put my finger on what it was. Now I'm realizing, all of those times I complained "I should have at least blocked that! WTF!!!" isn't because the attack somehow got through or I parried too soon. I've parried at literally the last instant a number of times before the update and after. Yet, sometimes I'll notice my heavy attack starts the instant before I get hit, seemingly completely opening up my guard instead of parrying like it should.

cyberakiba
03-14-2017, 05:56 PM
Thanks God I am not the only one experiencing this bug!

I.Need.Healing.
03-14-2017, 07:54 PM

You should pay more attention to game mechanics. All that you said is wrong.

Arkhos1988
03-14-2017, 07:58 PM
Just if ubi ever reads this, there is also a random fps bug regardless of the map mine went from the usual stable 60 to 20-30 fps in normal deathmatch, maybe fix this **** the game was unplayabele, also connecting people to us players can't be an option to make the playerbase feel big.

TR.WhiskeyD
03-14-2017, 08:52 PM
If the white flash is the parry window, that is unacceptably small and latency would easily account for the majority of times parrying didn't work.

I.Need.Healing.
03-15-2017, 07:38 AM
If the white flash is the parry window, that is unacceptably small and latency would easily account for the majority of times parrying didn't work.

White flash is the start of it, the window does not disappear until you get hit.

Gemini-Iceland
03-15-2017, 05:31 PM

There is no latency on the inputs in this combat system. You are running a simulation on your end. That is why they used this system instead of servers. Servers would actually make you have input latency. Thats why no one has made a game like this before. They aren't fun with latency. Also the parry in this game is way too easy. No one good is using heavies unless the opponent is guard broken.

White flash is the start of it, the window does not disappear until you get hit.

Where does it say that... You are just making this up.

I.Need.Healing.
03-15-2017, 05:47 PM
You are being ridiculous, it is like asking "where does it say that 1+1 =2? you are making stuff up" while looking in the math textbook.
Did you play the game at all? do you have eyes? can't you see the indicator on the video?

OokiireteHoshii
03-15-2017, 06:37 PM
My cat could parry a heavy, but if this affects light attacks too then good bye..guess i'll go play peacekeeper too..

Gemini-Iceland
03-15-2017, 08:42 PM
You are being ridiculous, it is like asking "where does it say that 1+1 =2? you are making stuff up" while looking in the math textbook.
Did you play the game at all? do you have eyes? can't you see the indicator on the video?

I'm referring to the "the window does not disappear until you get hit." part not the blink...

I.Need.Healing.
03-16-2017, 07:56 AM
I'm referring to the "the window does not disappear until you get hit." part not the blink...

Me too

S4k4b4at0u
03-16-2017, 02:37 PM
I noticed that too, makes countering heavy swings very frustrating at times

AcceptYourDeath
03-16-2017, 03:23 PM
There is no latency on the inputs in this combat system. You are running a simulation on your end. That is why they used this system instead of servers. Servers would actually make you have input latency. Thats why no one has made a game like this before. They aren't fun with latency. Also the parry in this game is way too easy. No one good is using heavies unless the opponent is guard broken.

OMG you are so wrong, like so so so so sooooo WRONG

For Honor has one of the most unreliable and sluggish controls I`ve seen in years. As soon you hit multiplayer it is utter &"% to a point where it will start random moves because the game is completly behind since recent updates.

This game has been made 3 times before with Mount & Blades, War of the Roses and Chivalry

For Honor has input lag 200% for sure. And I myself play a p2p horde shooter named Warframe with controls tight as F while alot more is going on during gameplay.

As you said it yourself, you are running a remote controlled simmulation on your end, not client side input. My characters started to refuse doing a single attack on click every now and then since last "updates"

To the topic itself, yes parry is broken just like every other mechanic in this game. Guardbreak being canceled by a light attack for example even against bots although you quite clearly already have connected with the guardbreak itself.

In general the stuff you see happen in online gameplay (espcecially 4vs4) is hilarious and random as hell. What can happen, what should happen, what doesn`t happen.

Maaci
03-16-2017, 03:25 PM
What kind of broadband do you have?

Gemini-Iceland
03-16-2017, 03:45 PM
Me too

Then you are blind, because your own video post shows that it doesn't work like that.

OMG you are so wrong, like so so so so sooooo WRONG

For Honor has one of the most unreliable and sluggish controls I`ve seen in years. As soon you hit multiplayer it is utter &"% to a point where it will start random moves because the game is completly behind since recent updates.

This game has been made 3 times before with Mount & Blades, War of the Roses and Chivalry

For Honor has input lag 200% for sure. And I myself play a p2p horde shooter named Warframe with controls tight as F while alot more is going on during gameplay.

As you said it yourself, you are running a remote controlled simmulation on your end, not client side input. My characters started to refuse doing a single attack on click every now and then since last "updates"

To the topic itself, yes parry is broken just like every other mechanic in this game. Guardbreak being canceled by a light attack for example even against bots although you quite clearly already have connected with the guardbreak itself.

In general the stuff you see happen in online gameplay (espcecially 4vs4) is hilarious and random as hell. What can happen, what should happen, what doesn`t happen.

I played all of those games, have over 1k hours on m&b alone. Those games have a very different approach to the combat system. For Honor is more in line with fighting games. The input lag you talk about is same for everyone playing a match together. The action doesn't happen until everyone knows it should happen and starts it. Synchronized simulations.

ShieldNSpear
03-16-2017, 09:27 PM
testing just confirmed this bug is present on light attacks parried at the last frame too. This makes super fast light spamming even more broken of a mechanic that it already is. Peacekeeper light attacks already give you a grand total of 83ms to react. Last-frame parries simply punish you for trying.

Felis_Menari
03-16-2017, 09:56 PM
testing just confirmed this bug is present on light attacks parried at the last frame too. This makes super fast light spamming even more broken of a mechanic that it already is. Peacekeeper light attacks already give you a grand total of 83ms to react. Last-frame parries simply punish you for trying.

I've been feeling this when going against PKs and Valkyries in particular. The light spam is real! lol

Deathdrawn
03-16-2017, 11:05 PM
I hate this bug. So much. I always get killed because of it. If they fixed this **** PKs spamming lights would be getting brutalized rather than bending me over and taking me.

SlothfulHook
03-17-2017, 05:28 AM
The parry works from when the indicator gets big(and flashes) until the attack hits you. Even if you parry after the white flash, it will still work. Unless it is my case.

I've personally never been able to hit a parry AFTER the white flash, only while it was doing it. I don't try to parry a whole lot unless I'm confident I can hit it though. I'm not saying it's not possible, I've just never had luck with it.

PrimaGoosa
03-17-2017, 05:53 AM
I've always assumed trying to parry an attack late gets you hit as a balance mechanic. You have to time it right to get the benefits of a parry. Not too early, not too late.

I really don't think it's a bug, I think it's a calculated design decision. Yes, it makes light spam more difficult to parry, but I don't think the intent is to parry everything in the game.

ShieldNSpear
03-17-2017, 06:30 AM
I really don't think this is an issue of hitting it too late. I've bookmarked and reviewed frame by frame 22 of my failed parries over the last few days while trying to parry last frame. The only ones that actually had this happen were last-frame input. This is a bug that has something to do with how the game handles the parry argument too slowly to succeed in a single frame. At the very least this needs a hot-fix to let you keep your block stance during the beginning of parry animation. Then at least you don't get punished for it, you just get the normal block as if you had actually pressed the button too late.

As a Conq player, having superior block property on heavy startup means my block is still active at the beginning of my attacks, so parrying even a single frame too late should NOT result in taking a hit, but yet this happens to me all the time when attempting to parry. This NEVER happens to me while releasing a charged heavy thanks to superior block property, only when attempting to parry. This bug is the fact that the beginning of the parry animation drops your guard before preventing the enemy's attack.

phLOxRSA
03-17-2017, 08:42 AM
Pretty sure it's by design. A light is suppose to be tough to parry. If you do not parry a heavy in time, you are bad and should feel bad. If the final frames were parry-able, then a heavy cancel into light would become almost useless. The feint it literally there to screw your parry, something you need to do in advance of the hit, not on the hit. At least, that is how I have been playing and I have a 315ms ping.

ShieldNSpear
03-17-2017, 10:06 AM
Pretty sure it's by design. A light is suppose to be tough to parry. If you do not parry a heavy in time, you are bad and should feel bad. If the final frames were parry-able, then a heavy cancel into light would become almost useless. The feint it literally there to screw your parry, something you need to do in advance of the hit, not on the hit. At least, that is how I have been playing and I have a 315ms ping.

You don't seem to understand. Parry input is successful at any point in time between flashing icon and the impact. The fact that the parry input is successful will drop your guard for one frame before actually stopping the attack. If the attack lands inside of that one frame, then your parry doesn't register and you take full damage because you weren't blocking, you were parrying. This is a coding oversight, and needs to be fixed. Denial sounds like nothing more than ego, as there are thousands of other players confirming the same bug.

phLOxRSA
03-17-2017, 10:46 AM
You don't seem to understand. Parry input is successful at any point in time between flashing icon and the impact. The fact that the parry input is successful will drop your guard for one frame before actually stopping the attack. If the attack lands inside of that one frame, then your parry doesn't register and you take full damage because you weren't blocking, you were parrying. This is a coding oversight, and needs to be fixed. Denial sounds like nothing more than ego, as there are thousands of other players confirming the same bug.

Thanks, I understand now. I still think it should stay like that. We shouldn't be able to attempt a parry safely. If you fail a parry, by hitting it too late, your block shouldn't work either.

tl;dr Parry sooner or not at all

ShieldNSpear
03-17-2017, 11:51 AM
Thanks, I understand now. I still think it should stay like that. We shouldn't be able to attempt a parry safely. If you fail a parry, by hitting it too late, your block shouldn't work either.

"Too late" would be after the hit has already hit your block, says the parry indicator. I understand you feel there should be a "too late" punishment, but as it stands right now the punishment from parrying too late is the result of a bug, not intentional design. Whether it be a good bug or not, it's still a bug.

I.Need.Healing.
03-17-2017, 01:43 PM
Then you are blind, because your own video post shows that it doesn't work like that..

This is some next level ignorance.

ShieldNSpear
03-17-2017, 09:30 PM
This is some next level ignorance.

There's an amazing number of people pretending that this is a simple matter of "git gud" when in reality it's a proven bug. I don't understand why they come to the forums in the first place if they think everything is fine with the game.

OokiireteHoshii
03-18-2017, 01:35 AM

Light attacks are hard to catch, if i'm able to get that r1 at the last frame then i should succed. You should get hit AFTER the parry window, maybe reducing it would please everybody?

ZechsMarquizy
03-18-2017, 01:45 AM
Well maybe thats how its supposed to work? You shouldn't be able to tap heavy attack at the last possible second that its going to hit and then get a parry. That would make it even easier. I've never had a problem parrying attacks unless I hit it way too early. If you're hitting it way too late, thats kind of on yourself. Parrying is ridiculously easy.

If anything they should just shave off those extra couple flash frames on the parry window.

I'd like to see this pompous **** parry PK light attacks.... pssh ignorant kids claiming parry = easy? na it used to be easy, now its quite hard and tricky depending on the hero, type of attack, and speed of the attack. All these things should be takin in to account, so yea... parrying a Raider's heavy doesn't make you good at parrying MinaX-LorD rofl pary = easy hilarious.

OokiireteHoshii
03-18-2017, 04:32 PM
I don't know if anybody else noticed but when you switch guard with a mouse the direction you're switching goes black for a fraction of a second, while with a controller it doesn't, if you have a controller try and see it for yourself..or maybe it only happens to me idk.

FRAKTICA
03-19-2017, 12:33 AM
Parrying on the last frames of a parry window gets you hit, video below. Please fix this.

https://gfycat.com/HollowNegligibleBlackbear
https://gfycat.com/EminentHomelyIcelandgull

PS If someone can tell me a better way to get this bug across to devs, please tell.

The problem is that the lag for many people is larger than the parry window, so parrying is simply a matter of luck for them...

ShieldNSpear
03-19-2017, 06:05 AM
The problem is that the lag for many people is larger than the parry window, so parrying is simply a matter of luck for them...

This is also very true, and it compounds the bug as well because the more lag you have the more likely you are for your parries to be last-frame since the lag effectively adds to your reaction time.

ShieldNSpear
03-19-2017, 08:52 AM
I don't know if anybody else noticed but when you switch guard with a mouse the direction you're switching goes black for a fraction of a second, while with a controller it doesn't, if you have a controller try and see it for yourself..or maybe it only happens to me idk.

That's built into the game. All classes have a delay for changing their guard. It's one of the things that makes lightspamming peacekeepers overpowered.

I.Need.Healing.
03-19-2017, 09:40 AM

All examples are against bots, there was no latency involved.

ShieldNSpear
03-19-2017, 02:25 PM
All examples are against bots, there was no latency involved.

Neither of you are really wrong... The examples were against bots, but he's also right that lag would make parrying somewhat more difficult

Joomanji32
03-19-2017, 03:53 PM
Yeah- it's lame. But the indicator never seemed right to me. It felt easier to go off the timing of the enemies weapon about to make contact with me. For the time being you'll just need to tap it in the middle of the parry window instead of at the last possible second.

I don't think this is a terrible thing overall. Defensive play is rewarded too much as it is.

ShieldNSpear
03-19-2017, 09:56 PM
I don't think this is a terrible thing overall. Defensive play is rewarded too much as it is.

Whilst I do agree that defensive play needs a bit of a nerf, bugs are still bugs. If a feature isn't working as intended, you can't really just consider that malfunction a balancing mechanic and be done with it.

EvaDenVille
03-20-2017, 12:53 AM
Parry is broken, whole game is broken. Look at Berserkers moves for an example, all the ones that are supposed to be uninterruptible are interrupted by basic hits 90% of the time and even GB stops it in middle of the move. I will never forget getting GB when flying mid air performing Head Crusher move.

Beyond ridiculous.

For Error!

ShieldNSpear
03-23-2017, 06:45 AM
Has ubisoft acknowledged this bug in any way?

I.Need.Healing.
03-24-2017, 01:55 AM
Has ubisoft acknowledged this bug in any way?

no

ShieldNSpear
03-25-2017, 08:45 AM
Because parrying a PK is so unreliable due to this bug, I've been practicing counter attacking using the superior block property on the startup of the Conqueror's heavy attacks. What I learned is that this bug is also present here! Even though my guard was clearly in place, this PK Bot's heavy attack goes right through my block because I released the charged heavy at the last frame. What's more is this happened even while the bot gets staggered from being blocked!

https://youtu.be/0czet4VlJRY

oSquashxD
03-25-2017, 10:05 AM
I disagree, due this perry is not bugged, it's working because all hero can't block or pryy all attack due (Revenge mode online) Easy & better to tell you and once agian I disagree..

ShieldNSpear
03-25-2017, 10:18 AM
I disagree, due this perry is not bugged, it's working because all hero can't block or pryy all attack due (Revenge mode online) Easy & better to tell you and once agian I disagree..

Either the parry indicator is lying, or the parry itself is not successfully preventing the attack you parried. It's that simple.

Mr_Gallows
03-25-2017, 10:48 AM
They should fix this bug, but not with the current parry reward that is just too good.

Parry should give every character an omnidirectional unblockable attack, but not stagger the opponent so he can't defend at all. The GB from parry must go, it's a huge character imbalance issue and it is too powerful on many maps.

Then make feint smoother so it isn't just parry baiting. Feinting into another heavy attack should make the next heavy attack slightly quicker depending on when you press the feint button. So feint is fixed so you get control, within a reasonable window, when the feint happens. If you feint early the next next heavy is a bit quicker and if you feint late the next heavy is not as quick. This should be a smooth transition of course. This creates a variety in timing for both blocking and parrying.

Make feint a viable way to land a heavy and to create more dynamic mixups with regular attacks.

Focus on the three-way attacks/defence system and not parry, GB and the move looping.

ShieldNSpear
03-25-2017, 10:03 PM
They should fix this bug, but not with the current parry reward that is just too good.

Parry should give every character an omnidirectional unblockable attack, but not stagger the opponent so he can't defend at all. The GB from parry must go, it's a huge character imbalance issue and it is too powerful on many maps.

Then make feint smoother so it isn't just parry baiting. Feinting into another heavy attack should make the next heavy attack slightly quicker depending on when you press the feint button. So feint is fixed so you get control, within a reasonable window, when the feint happens. If you feint early the next next heavy is a bit quicker and if you feint late the next heavy is not as quick. This should be a smooth transition of course. This creates a variety in timing for both blocking and parrying.

Make feint a viable way to land a heavy and to create more dynamic mixups with regular attacks.

Focus on the three-way attacks/defence system and not parry, GB and the move looping.

I like this for the most part... I too have noticed the huge reward you get for parrying compared to other defensive measures that are sometimes harder (Anybody else feel deflect is useless?)
But I feel it's a tad more complex than they want. I had an idea in another thread about ways to help balance parry mechanics, simply by putting both light and heavy attacks on the same button and letting the speed and power of the hit be completely determined by how long you held down the attack button.

EDIT: I think it should be noted that parry might be just fine how it is if the GB mechanics were changed in such a way that GB was not a source of almost risk-free guaranteed damage.

Mr_Gallows
03-25-2017, 10:36 PM
I like this for the most part... I too have noticed the huge reward you get for parrying compared to other defensive measures that are sometimes harder (Anybody else feel deflect is useless?)
But I feel it's a tad more complex than they want. I had an idea in another thread about ways to help balance parry mechanics, simply by putting both light and heavy attacks on the same button and letting the speed and power of the hit be completely determined by how long you held down the attack button.

Oh... Having both heavy and light attack on the same button would be cool. Longer press, longer windup and you do a heavy attack. It's a bit unrelated to parry, but it's a good idea.

UbiNoty
03-26-2017, 01:20 AM
Hi all, please report the bug through support (https://support.ubi.com/en-us/Games/4315) so we can look into it. Thanks!

AzureSky.
03-26-2017, 02:28 AM
Its really noticeable in light attacks, i hope they fix it.

AzureSky.
03-26-2017, 02:34 AM

Duh, some classes just parry and then do a heavy top attack (warden and raider for example) since they can hit it that way (its better than a grab)

So no, this changes will not improve anything at all, it just erase a mechanic for the game, in high elo people will still hit another people and the problem will persist.

Please Gallows try to get into high elo then come to talk about balance (i tell you this in a good way) you cant make balance if you dont understand the game and how it works, the best actions for each character, etc.

ShieldNSpear
03-26-2017, 06:04 AM
Hi all, please report the bug through support (https://support.ubi.com/en-us/Games/4315) so we can look into it. Thanks!

4 pages of support topics for For Honor, none of them contain a category for bug reporting.

Oh... Having both heavy and light attack on the same button would be cool. Longer press, longer windup and you do a heavy attack. It's a bit unrelated to parry, but it's a good idea.

While it may not fix parry, once parry IS fixed and memorizing attack animations becomes common trade, then parry meta becomes even worse of a threat. I came up with the idea as a means to make weapon swings variable to help against that.

Duh, some classes just parry and then do a heavy top attack (warden and raider for example) since they can hit it that way (its better than a grab)

So no, this changes will not improve anything at all, it just erase a mechanic for the game, in high elo people will still hit another people and the problem will persist.

Please Gallows try to get into high elo then come to talk about balance (i tell you this in a good way) you cant make balance if you dont understand the game and how it works, the best actions for each character, etc.

You do have a point, but so does he. All levels of play should be considered when trying to balance a game. It's just one of the things that makes balancing a game this unique so near to impossible.

I.Need.Healing.
03-26-2017, 04:49 PM

I reported it through support even before i made this topic. I also messaged it to devs on reddit. And i posted here on forums. Zero results.

If you saw this, can't you help us somehow? i don't think reporting it again will change ANYTHING. Maybe you can do something, like pass it where it can be fixed or something?

Meppho
03-27-2017, 04:51 AM

This post poses a philosophical question.

What's the purpose of this "Suggestion and Feedback" board then?

If feedback goes to support to be looked into that is, even when someone from Ubisoft magically seems to notice it.

P.S.
I do know nobody really gives a **** about these feedback forums, learned that with The Division. Regardless, it would be nice to cast every shadow of doubt away.