PDA

View Full Version : About Gear and Matchmaking

Thief183
03-07-2017, 02:09 AM
Ok we can all agree that many time ppl with lev1 reputation has to fight with high level gear player but I'm a bit optimistic about this.

Actually you can max your gear at level 3, that means that after that everyone will have the same stats (or at least the same lavel "108")

So I'm starting to think that Ubi is not really concerned about the issue cause in a couple of weeks everyone will have a Good gear (except for new heroes you want to play...that's another problem) and all issues will solve by themselves

Reach Rep 3 takes 4/5 days if you play 2/3 hour a day... so I think is not a big deal...

Am I wrong? Or maybe I'm missing something?

Edit: why my forum post counter doesn't rise?

Prophit618
03-07-2017, 03:21 AM
You aren't missing something, and you are absolutely correct on all parts. Nice to see someone thinking logically about it. I can't wait till 100+ at least is the new norm.

I don't know what's wrong with your forum post counter though. Probably Ubi's fault.

SiewcaRaka
03-07-2017, 03:28 AM
We just wrecked enemy team that all had 3-6 prestige while we had one guy that had his first :D When you learn basic of how the game works it is not so difficult to win with skills only :D

Egotistic_Ez
03-07-2017, 03:37 AM
I don't think gear gives much of an advantage to be honest, EXCEPT for revenge spec which is broken AF, even against other people using revenge gear. So while gear IS a problem, even if everyone has 108 gear because it removes a lot of the fun from the game, it's not something they need to worry about for matchmaking imo.

Fenrirwolf24
03-07-2017, 03:52 AM
Gear doesnt make that much of a difference. I played dominion as a low level valk and destroyed a 108 kensie. Gear is only a small part of it. Skill is a big part.

Dekallis
03-07-2017, 04:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQFFgKrwyu4

Example of gear not making a difference. I even made one of the 108's quit.

Dukester321
03-07-2017, 05:27 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQFFgKrwyu4

Example of gear not making a difference. I even made one of the 108's quit.

So am I the only one getting two shotted when I face a rep 3 with 108 gold gear with my rep 1 40 blue? Match making is ****ed. its not excuse that "everyone will reach level 3 someday, so itll be alright" that's bs. that's how the game loses players, not everyone wants to go through pointless steamrolling to get to a certain level of a game, just to be able to be competitive. I get the dudes that say this game is broken now, I really wasn't like that before, but I truly see it. they need to get on a hot fix quickly. or else theyre gonna start losing ps4 fans too.

Dekallis
03-07-2017, 05:56 AM
rep level is irrelevant. it has NO bearing on the power of the character. My valk was only at GS42. But I've been playing valk since release, so when faced with superior gear I'm not really that bothered. Honestly it's more irritating when someone thinks they're helping and jumps into a fight i was about to win and gives my opponent revenge due to the multiplier from multiple opponents. As for getting 2 shotted? Unless you're running gear that lowers your defense or you got cleaved by a raider and are one of the 120hp tier chars that shouldn't happen. 3 is the minimum for heavies hitting you iirc. Though I haven't done the math on all the possible buff scenarios but in general it shouldn't take less than 3 hits to get a kill barring terrain damage or the target already being wounded.

All increases to atk/defense are % based. My valk in that video is running defense gear that actually penalizes her atk stat and as you can see it didn't really hurt her that much to have an atk penalty. I didn't use revenge specific gear either. The warlord and Lawbringer on the opposing team were BOTH using revenge gear.....it did not help them. It's not the first time I've seen a 'lopsided' game where people bemoan and practically give up at the load screen and then my underdog team wins because the geared guys are depending on their gear and aren't actually good.

Eddeh07
03-07-2017, 07:02 AM
I also kind of feel like there's a lot more going on behind the matchmaking than just looking at rep/gear stats. I got a lump in my throat the first time I saw I was up against a high rep player with advanced gear, but the fight actually swung my way quite fairly. Since then, I've frequently gone up against much higher spec players that I have beaten easily, as well as lower levels who have absolutely destroyed me. Overall, I've found the matchmaking incredibly balanced (provided you can look past the simple gear/rep numbers).

I'm guessing there's some sort of hidden measure of skill based on your win/loss/kdr and/or points/kills per minute/game, and that's actually what matches you up against your opponent. At least, that's what it feels like to me

Altair_Snake
03-07-2017, 07:13 AM
Using characters other than your main is where the big problem is. It's like the game is telling you to always use the same character on 4v4 modes. That's a bad thing. You can grind the smaller modes, or vs the AI, first, but it shouldn't be like this. I'm not too angry, though, tbh. Online proggressions are almost all bad. FH's isn't terrible. The lag is annoying me much more.

Dukester321
03-07-2017, 08:19 AM
rep level is irrelevant. it has NO bearing on the power of the character. My valk was only at GS42. But I've been playing valk since release, so when faced with superior gear I'm not really that bothered. Honestly it's more irritating when someone thinks they're helping and jumps into a fight i was about to win and gives my opponent revenge due to the multiplier from multiple opponents. As for getting 2 shotted? Unless you're running gear that lowers your defense or you got cleaved by a raider and are one of the 120hp tier chars that shouldn't happen. 3 is the minimum for heavies hitting you iirc. Though I haven't done the math on all the possible buff scenarios but in general it shouldn't take less than 3 hits to get a kill barring terrain damage or the target already being wounded.

All increases to atk/defense are % based. My valk in that video is running defense gear that actually penalizes her atk stat and as you can see it didn't really hurt her that much to have an atk penalty. I didn't use revenge specific gear either. The warlord and Lawbringer on the opposing team were BOTH using revenge gear.....it did not help them. It's not the first time I've seen a 'lopsided' game where people bemoan and practically give up at the load screen and then my underdog team wins because the geared guys are depending on their gear and aren't actually good.

Ive beaten people way higher than me as well but that's not the point. My main is a Warden rep1 43gear... last night I played a 4v4 against a rep 3, two rep 2, and one rep1.. the rep 3 was 108 purple or gold not sure if he had purple or the rep twos had gold or vise verse... point is rep3 was also a Warden... two shot me the whole game.. not only me but pretty much everyone else. so its not even a matter of skill. the guy had the same character I have. now tell me that wasn't about gear. and yea you play Valk a semi defensive warrior with a shield.

Dekallis
03-07-2017, 03:18 PM
Ive beaten people way higher than me as well but that's not the point. My main is a Warden rep1 43gear... last night I played a 4v4 against a rep 3, two rep 2, and one rep1.. the rep 3 was 108 purple or gold not sure if he had purple or the rep twos had gold or vise verse... point is rep3 was also a Warden... two shot me the whole game.. not only me but pretty much everyone else. so its not even a matter of skill. the guy had the same character I have. now tell me that wasn't about gear. and yea you play Valk a semi defensive warrior with a shield.

You...don't actually know the char stats do you? Valk is on the lowest HP tier at only 120, with Nobushi,Peacekeeper,Orochi,and Berserker. She is by no means meatier than a warden who has 130 hp, or litterally any character that I didn't just mention. I run defense gear on all my characters except Raider or Zerker. As I said before 2 hit kills are NOT possible unless you lowered your defense. Negative defense is another %dmg increase for your opponent. Maxed out gear is only about a 20-25% increase in damage for atk stat.

So for higher end heavies, which are around 40dmg, it's not possible to 2 shot a warden. and warden's double light is less damage than the heavy but allows the vortex setup. Now 40 dmg would mean they need about a 65% dmg bonus to kill you in two hits because they'd have to be doing at least 65damage per hit to do 130 in 2 hits. Gear alone doesn't do that.

Feats are actually much more powerful than gear. Fury is 35%atk AND defense. Zerker's berserk is 75% atk and 50%defense(which explains why it's duration is so short.), Inspire is 25% atk for you and everyone around you. Marked for death is a 35% defense penalty. Juggernaught is a 50% defense boost. the atk booster is something like a 50% atk increase. So even if you have no gear, popping a feat or getting a booster is going to have a larger impact than gear stats.

Please at least make an effort to learn stats before blaming a mechanic for why you lost. Honestly in many cases I intentionally use lower tier gear to manage my penalties and get to the performance I want. The gear is not important. I've yet to play a match with higher than 60 gearscore. Hell I occasionally play matches ungeared. Let's not forget when you get matched up your group is selected before you choose a hero. I could just as easily pick my rep3 Raider, or my valk, or play a unrepped nobushi or something it has no bearing on where MMR thinks my skill level is. It's frankly hillarious to play a 8 gs nobu and drop into a match with 108's and then body them. Gearscore is irrelevant if you understand how to play whatever char your playing and the mode you're in.

Problem is most people don't. Or are watching those youtube videos about gear that are mostly wrong, and taking it as gospel. Do testing yourself, see effects of gear yourself, see the results of feats and atk stacking yourself. See the difference defense makes.

grindable gear stats in a pvp title have no reason to exist. Not when they give you 100% power increase or 1%. It doesn´t matter if they can be farmed in 1 week or in 1 day. They are no benefit to a game that revolves around a fair pvp competition ever. You do not get an advantage for playing more than the next person, this skewes the comparision of skill of two individuals into "who grinded more" and not "who can play the game better".

.....Do you realize almost all of the most popular pvp games in the world right now are games with grindable stats? this is pretty much standard in MOBA's since league, and shooters like battlefield,COD, and so on have unlocks that affect performance, mmos by default are just built that way. that leaves what..? RTS? Fighting games generally don't have such a thing but compared to other genre's the FGC is a niche. You don't see Street Fighter or Tekken selling out big arena's for tournaments. It's the nature of gaming these days. People expect a time investment to result in some meaningful return. FH's gear is exactly that, a shiny that helps you in return for spending the time to get it, though the bars representing gear stats are skewed representations of how much they actually impact your stats.(Yet another reason people should test things themselves).

Grumpie_Bear
03-07-2017, 06:31 PM
Ok we can all agree that many time ppl with lev1 reputation has to fight with high level gear player but I'm a bit optimistic about this.

Actually you can max your gear at level 3, that means that after that everyone will have the same stats (or at least the same lavel "108")

So I'm starting to think that Ubi is not really concerned about the issue cause in a couple of weeks everyone will have a Good gear (except for new heroes you want to play...that's another problem) and all issues will solve by themselves

Reach Rep 3 takes 4/5 days if you play 2/3 hour a day... so I think is not a big deal...

Am I wrong? Or maybe I'm missing something?

Edit: why my forum post counter doesn't rise?

you can't get more players when you set it up so that everyone who is already at the top ****s on the players at lower levels. That is how you ruin a game. If I pick up the game and you tell me don't worry, you only have to play 2-3 hours a day for 4-5 days, but until then you get matched against people with much high skill level and people who have gear that is astronomically better than yours, then why would i even bother?