PDA

View Full Version : MUST READ: Interview with For Honor's Game Director

SpringReborn
03-03-2017, 03:44 PM
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-03-03-for-honor-ubisoft-answers-the-big-questions

Have a read. I think most of you will be VERY happy.

ShadowFetus
03-03-2017, 04:17 PM
That was actually a really good read. I applaud him on doing this, it was very much needed for the community.

SpringReborn
03-03-2017, 04:25 PM
That was actually a really good read. I applaud him on doing this, it was very much needed for the community.

This article should be posted in the official news sub-forum. Not many people know about it, and most dont seem to care about clicking this thread, despite of my best effort of giving it a title that would catch the attention of people. Apparently "interview with game director" is not good enough but "screw this game" looks like a good thread to them.

The interview really shows that they are actively trying to fix the game. He acknowledges most of the mayor issues.

Downside is, it seems like we'll only get a patch once every two months or so. It's good because they are actually taking their time to fix things and not rushing them, but bad because not many people will be aware that they are in fact doing something. People are going to continously leave unless Ubisoft starts communicating more with the community to let them know they are working on the issues.

ShadowFetus
03-03-2017, 04:40 PM
This article should be posted in the official news sub-forum. Not many people know about it, and most dont seem to care about clicking this thread, despite of my best effort of giving it a title that would catch the attention of people. Apparently "interview with game director" is not good enough but "screw this game" looks like a good thread to them.

The interview really shows that they are actively trying to fix the game. He acknowledges most of the mayor issues.

Downside is, it seems like we'll only get a patch once every two months or so. It's good because they are actually taking their time to fix things and not rushing them, but bad because not many people will be aware that they are in fact doing something. People are going to continously leave unless Ubisoft starts communicating more with the community to let them know they are working on the issues.

I would have liked him to have touched more on the Faction War being determined by the final 6 hours, but other than that it was nice to hear not everything has fallen on deaf ears.

This game is still quite young, and has plenty of potential.

SpringReborn
03-03-2017, 04:45 PM
I would have liked him to have touched more on the Faction War being determined by the final 6 hours, but other than that it was nice to hear not everything has fallen on deaf ears.

This game is still quite young, and has plenty of potential.

It's technically not all determined by the final 6 hours. It's only like that if it's a close game (something like, knights 19, vikings 21 and samurai 20).

But let's say that in the final 6 hours the difference is big, say samurai 30, knights 9 and vikings 21. Obviously there is no way to come back from 9 in the final 6 hours, which means that the previous hours did have a great impact on the end of the round.

brochacho78
03-03-2017, 04:53 PM
Not a word about all the afk spawn dancing....smh

SpringReborn
03-03-2017, 05:02 PM

True. But there IS word of like a dozen other things. If that is not good enough for you then you might be demanding too much. Besides, rubberband players are hard to deal with as they are not exploiding a bug or something like that, therefore they are very hard to track. Only way I think they can punish them is by manually going to every single domion vs AI and sanctioning everyone they see rubberbanding. And as you may know, there is a **** ton of domion vs AI matches taking place every second and they would only have a handful of people who can monitorize those matches.

Munktor
03-03-2017, 05:12 PM
Thanks for sharing that link. It was a good read.

Reign
03-03-2017, 05:15 PM
Good article and I for one have been having a blast playing even with the current issues which for me personally have been minor. Knowing that they are looking into them and then some is very encouraging, so I will continue to be patient let them do their jobs and keep having fun in the mean time. The best part about the interview is that it totally goes against the "Ubisoft cash grab" sentiment that is so rampant here on the forums. They have not taken our money and left us with it hanging in the wind, but are working to make things better but these things take time. And the players who hang in there will have an even better experience once we see some more changes come to fruition.

CarnivalLaw
03-03-2017, 05:28 PM
Great read. Glad to know we have such a thoughtful Game Director.

PhYcE-
03-03-2017, 05:47 PM
Good read! He addressed a lot of this in the Warriors Den livestream a few days ago so if you haven't seen that yet you should check it out in the announcement section.

Xynrex
03-03-2017, 05:58 PM
Ofc no dedicated servers. P2P has more pros than cons.

Playerbase cant finish 1/3 of their matches, constant dcs in matchmaking and easier to cheat but its FINE sure. **** this...

isthil89
03-03-2017, 06:04 PM
how can u put a penalty on rage quitting when half the time u dc how will it no who quit our who got disconnected

Miadous
03-03-2017, 06:47 PM
Things I don't agree with in the interview:
1.) No matchmaking mentioned. He just doesn't like debuff resist gear because of a bug.
2.) He thinks P2P has more pros than dedicated servers?
3.) He likes revenge in duels
4.) He says revenge lets you do something while outnumbered for a "limited" time. Not true, it's basically endless if you keep parrying and blocking while outnumbered. It needs a cooldown or something. It's out of control. It's near instant activation for people with high level gear, all they have to do is block when you come up behind them and BOOM revenge mode, then you both die in a couple shots.
5.) It's going to take a long time to break the "turtle" meta of this game if those are is only ideas on defense and going to take them forever to slowly implement into the game.

RatedChaotic
03-03-2017, 06:56 PM

They have already stated here in the forums they are investigating it. In time they will be punishing these players. It just takes longer than we expect. UBI has dealt with these kinds of exploits in other games. They punished them before and will again. There has been other games that have had players use rubberbands to bypass the afk kick feature. They got rolled back and a 3 day ban. It just takes time.

And those that claim its not an exploit have no reading comprehensive skills or are guilty of it themselves. Its clearly stated in the ToS and the CoC that interfering with another players gameplay is against the CoC. If having 2 outta 4 players running circles is not interfering with the other 2s gameplay. Then I'm a fashion model.

Banicks
03-03-2017, 10:10 PM
Actually, I got more pissed off when the arrogant re-tard said the issues we're experiencing would still be happening on dedicated servers.

The idiot has no idea, and that is simply a great indication of Ubi$oft on the whole.

ArlianDeBias
03-03-2017, 10:16 PM
I'm happy that he addressed putting a leaving penalty in place. That is very much needed and can't come soon enough.

Munktor
03-03-2017, 10:34 PM
Actually, I got more pissed off when the arrogant re-tard said the issues we're experiencing would still be happening on dedicated servers.

The idiot has no idea, and that is simply a great indication of Ubi$oft on the whole.

How's your game you developed doing?

Thanapetus
03-03-2017, 10:41 PM
The very second that UBISOFT makes me wait to play non-competitive for leaving due to their BS p2p System and no ability to keep me from playing who I deem are stupid people going after Kill ratio instead of objectives in dominion is the day I send them a dispute resolution demand for a refund

20.2 Our goal is to provide you with a neutral and cost-effective means of resolving the dispute quickly. Thus, for any claim related to these Terms or our Services where the total amount sought (i) is equal to or more than $10,000 USD, you may, or (ii) is less than $10,000 USD, you must, initiate dispute proceedings by completing the Notice of Dispute Form. UBISOFT may offer to settle the claim, provided however that if the dispute is not resolved within 30 days from the date of UBISOFT'S offer to settle or UBISOFT'S receipt of the Notice of Dispute Form (whichever is later), you may invoke binding arbitration by filing a separate Demand for Arbitration. A party electing arbitration shall initiate it through an established alternative dispute resolution ("ADR") provider mutually agreed upon by the parties. The ADR provider and the parties must comply with the following rules: (a) the arbitration shall be conducted, at the option of the party seeking relief, in person, by telephone, online, or based solely on written submissions; (b) any in person arbitration will take place in the county in which the city or town you have entered as your residence sits (and if neither is applicable, then the arbitration shall take place in San Francisco County, California); (c) either party may bring a claim in small claims court in lieu of arbitration; (d) the ADR provider may award any form of individual relief; (e) UBISOFT will pay all costs for non-frivolous claims; (f) any judgment on the award rendered by the arbitrator may be entered in any court of competent jurisdiction; (g) UBISOFT may not seek reimbursement of its attorney's fees in connection with such arbitration unless your claim is frivolous; (h) in the event the arbitrator awards in your favor and you receive an arbitration award greater than UBISOFT'S last written settlement offer, UBISOFT will pay you 150% of your arbitration award, up to $5,000 USD over and above your arbitration award and the fees your attorney reasonably accrues for investigating, preparing, and pursuing your claim in arbitration , (i) claims must be brought in the parties' individual capacity, and not as a plaintiff or class member in any purported class or representative proceeding. You hereby agree that for any dispute or claim that is less than $10,000 USD, you waive any right to a trial (by judge or jury), you waive any right to participate as a member of a class in a class action or similar proceeding, and you will abide by the dispute resolution mechanism in this Article. (The rights to attorneys’ fees and expenses discussed above supplements any right to attorneys’ fees and expenses you may have under applicable law, you may not recover duplicative awards of attorneys’ fees or costs).

For those of you who say good luck, I have already done it with success for The Division. If you clearly articulate why and leave the emotion out of it the Company will most likely honor your request.

Munktor
03-03-2017, 10:52 PM
The very second that UBISOFT makes me wait to play non-competitive for leaving due to their BS p2p System and no ability to keep me from playing who I deem are stupid people going after Kill ratio instead of objectives in dominion is the day I send them a dispute resolution demand for a refund

20.2 Our goal is to provide you with a neutral and cost-effective means of resolving the dispute quickly. Thus, for any claim related to these Terms or our Services where the total amount sought (i) is equal to or more than $10,000 USD, you may, or (ii) is less than $10,000 USD, you must, initiate dispute proceedings by completing the Notice of Dispute Form. UBISOFT may offer to settle the claim, provided however that if the dispute is not resolved within 30 days from the date of UBISOFT'S offer to settle or UBISOFT'S receipt of the Notice of Dispute Form (whichever is later), you may invoke binding arbitration by filing a separate Demand for Arbitration. A party electing arbitration shall initiate it through an established alternative dispute resolution ("ADR") provider mutually agreed upon by the parties. The ADR provider and the parties must comply with the following rules: (a) the arbitration shall be conducted, at the option of the party seeking relief, in person, by telephone, online, or based solely on written submissions; (b) any in person arbitration will take place in the county in which the city or town you have entered as your residence sits (and if neither is applicable, then the arbitration shall take place in San Francisco County, California); (c) either party may bring a claim in small claims court in lieu of arbitration; (d) the ADR provider may award any form of individual relief; (e) UBISOFT will pay all costs for non-frivolous claims; (f) any judgment on the award rendered by the arbitrator may be entered in any court of competent jurisdiction; (g) UBISOFT may not seek reimbursement of its attorney's fees in connection with such arbitration unless your claim is frivolous; (h) in the event the arbitrator awards in your favor and you receive an arbitration award greater than UBISOFT'S last written settlement offer, UBISOFT will pay you 150% of your arbitration award, up to $5,000 USD over and above your arbitration award and the fees your attorney reasonably accrues for investigating, preparing, and pursuing your claim in arbitration , (i) claims must be brought in the parties' individual capacity, and not as a plaintiff or class member in any purported class or representative proceeding. You hereby agree that for any dispute or claim that is less than $10,000 USD, you waive any right to a trial (by judge or jury), you waive any right to participate as a member of a class in a class action or similar proceeding, and you will abide by the dispute resolution mechanism in this Article. (The rights to attorneys’ fees and expenses discussed above supplements any right to attorneys’ fees and expenses you may have under applicable law, you may not recover duplicative awards of attorneys’ fees or costs).

For those of you who say good luck, I have already done it with success for The Division. If you clearly articulate why and leave the emotion out of it the Company will most likely honor your request.

Yea, but I make more money in the hour or so I waste trying to get a refund...so technically it cost me money.

Drekle
03-03-2017, 10:58 PM
This game sends 8 copies of data to people instead of 1 for a dedicated server. Its a bandwidth hog in terms of games. Compare it to any other game in network utilization.

Zerxis001
03-03-2017, 10:59 PM
Thanks for posting. Good read.

Thanapetus
03-03-2017, 11:04 PM
Yea, but I make more money in the hour or so I waste trying to get a refund...so technically it cost me money.

It is the principle of the matter. They have the letters you download, fill out, print and mail to them.

psyminion
03-03-2017, 11:13 PM
great read!

coming from another online AAA game with a community, it's nice to see the Devs of For Honor being communicative and proactive.

AKDagriZ
03-03-2017, 11:24 PM
OMG Thank you so much MR. Oriola fo closing that debate once and for all !

I know I'm running out of time, but quickly, should For Honor players play honourably?

Roman Campos Oriola: What is honour is written by the winner, not the loser. It's up to you how you want to be remembered!

It's an interesting debate. It's funny. The way we built the 2v2 it was really 2v2 in the sense like, even if you start like a Duel we wanted to give a bit of that strategy to the player. But for us the way we built it was, we want the players to be able to fight as a two person team. So, do you spawn and directly go gank one person then kill the other person? Do you do your duel? Do you try to slowly regroup as two people?

At the beginning people were really playing to duel, and then if you managed to kill your guy you would go and watch the other guy do his duel and not interrupt, because there is that call of honour. That struck us.

If you look at the bots, the bots actually gank you without any honour.

Yeah, the bots are bastards.

Jarvis_Binks
03-03-2017, 11:39 PM
OMG Thank you so much MR. Oriola fo closing that debate once and for all !

I know I'm running out of time, but quickly, should For Honor players play honourably?

Roman Campos Oriola: What is honour is written by the winner, not the loser. It's up to you how you want to be remembered!

It's an interesting debate. It's funny. The way we built the 2v2 it was really 2v2 in the sense like, even if you start like a Duel we wanted to give a bit of that strategy to the player. But for us the way we built it was, we want the players to be able to fight as a two person team. So, do you spawn and directly go gank one person then kill the other person? Do you do your duel? Do you try to slowly regroup as two people?

At the beginning people were really playing to duel, and then if you managed to kill your guy you would go and watch the other guy do his duel and not interrupt, because there is that call of honour. That struck us.

If you look at the bots, the bots actually gank you without any honour.

Yeah, the bots are bastards.

Don't forget the part where he states THEY ARE ADDING A PARAMETER FOR HONORABLE BEHAVIOR AT SOME POINT after all that. I swear, it's like politics everywhere I go. Selective facts. Lolz.

But I agree with the statement. :D

AKDagriZ
03-03-2017, 11:44 PM
Don't forget the part where he states THEY ARE ADDING A PARAMETER FOR HONORABLE BEHAVIOR AT SOME POINT after all that. I swear, it's like politics everywhere I go. Selective facts. Lolz.

But I agree with the statement. :D

You just did by not mentionning he is refering to BOT.Wich i agree.And he even mention about how the game is design to fight several opponent(in the revenge section of the interview)

Psychoman00
03-03-2017, 11:44 PM
The one thing I didn't heard about is improving matchmaking. Like f.e. I'm located in Europe and I can't find a game for a long long long long long time. Did I say long? Yeah long.

I'll rage a lot on this. But looking at other stuff, what he says, sounds good.

Jarvis_Binks
03-03-2017, 11:58 PM
You just did by not mentionning he is refering to BOT.Wich i agree.And he even mention about how the game is design to fight several opponent(in the revenge section of the interview)

I figured the BOT bit implied because of how the article read (bots gank with no honour), so no selective stuff here! Just slightly drunk and didn't realize that further context would be necessary, whoops!

SerArthur-Dayne
03-04-2017, 12:13 AM
A lot of it sounds really good... But id be lying if I said I wasnt disappointed in the server/ matchmaking response.

Since launch, ive had an average of nearly 16 mins or so wait times to find the most popular modes. He says he'll look into maybe switching to servers if the pros outweigh the cons, But I can barely play and I dont really have the will power to fire the game up anymore (despite the fact I love playing it!).

I dont know, I was really hoping to see a response with some real urgency on the matter, considering its only got a 54% positive review on steam, and declining every day... Solely because of this one issue!

I get that there is some benefits to P2P, but he dosent even seem overly sure about it himself. If it was me I would have said "Weve instructed half of the networking team (or hired some more networking staff/got UBI's help) to immediately create a version of the game that can run on servers, while at the same time leaving a team in place that will try to fix the P2P system in place. When the version ready for servers is available, we will hold a BETA within the game for testing (initially only one country for testing) and if it works better we will then get servers in all relevant locaions with a % of the money we made off of IAP's".

I was hoping for that... But instead it seems like, "well tinker around wit hthis system, pull some levers, flick some switches, turn some knobs and see if anything works... If somewhere down the line this approach isnt working I guess servers arent out of the question... but then itll take heaps of time.. idk... lets just wait and see what happens"

Was happy with all the other responses though...

ArlianDeBias
03-04-2017, 12:47 AM

Not to start a flame war, but I work in an out-of-hours call center and the amount of people who call me saying that I'm costing them money because they had to call me is absurd.

If you're not actually writing this message during work hours, this isn't costing you any money, and if you are writing this during work hours how in the hell have you not been fired yet?

It's such a stupid claim that people make all the time which is almost always un-true

Banicks
03-04-2017, 12:55 AM
How's your game you developed doing?

Doesn't exist.

But the game you and I paid for, going pretty crappily. Particularly when Ubisoft have time and time again seen that their developers are incapable of programming and/or networking P2P correctly.

Do you really find paying for an inferior product is acceptable? Or better yet, having high placed representatives so ignorant of realities.

He believes Ubisoft's infrastructure can't stand up to the number of players? Dedicated servers remove the mitgration issue, players dropping/connecting, and connection issues.

This leaves one problem remaining that is completely on Ubisoft's infastructure, but this representative has the idiocy to say p2p/dedicated are going to have the same problems? And you defend it?

I'm not sure who is more of an idiot, you or him.

Munktor
03-04-2017, 01:17 AM
Doesn't exist.

But the game you and I paid for, going pretty crappily. Particularly when Ubisoft have time and time again seen that their developers are incapable of programming and/or networking P2P correctly.

Do you really find paying for an inferior product is acceptable? Or better yet, having high placed representatives so ignorant of realities.

He believes Ubisoft's infrastructure can't stand up to the number of players? Dedicated servers remove the mitgration issue, players dropping/connecting, and connection issues.

This leaves one problem remaining that is completely on Ubisoft's infastructure, but this representative has the idiocy to say p2p/dedicated are going to have the same problems? And you defend it?

I'm not sure who is more of an idiot, you or him.

Weird, mine's working pretty damn well and is near identical to my expectations from the alpha & beta I played.

Nearly all fighting games are on p2p networks for a specific reason. You're confusing the current issues of p2p system for small lobby games with the instability of the overall uplay network. But sure, go ahead and pretend like you know what you're talking about, i'm sure one of the random people on this board will believe you.

Munktor
03-04-2017, 01:19 AM
Not to start a flame war, but I work in an out-of-hours call center and the amount of people who call me saying that I'm costing them money because they had to call me is absurd.

If you're not actually writing this message during work hours, this isn't costing you any money, and if you are writing this during work hours how in the hell have you not been fired yet?

It's such a stupid claim that people make all the time which is almost always un-true

I think you misunderstood my point. My point was it would take MORE effort than I currently value $60's versus how I value my time as it relates to how much money I CAN make in an hour.

And yes, I posted this while at work. I'm not fired because certain luxuries are afforded to certain types of employees at a certain level in their careers.

Banicks
03-04-2017, 01:35 AM
Weird, mine's working pretty damn well and is near identical to my expectations from the alpha & beta I played.

Nearly all fighting games are on p2p networks for a specific reason. You're confusing the current issues of p2p system for small lobby games with the instability of the overall uplay network. But sure, go ahead and pretend like you know what you're talking about, i'm sure one of the random people on this board will believe you.

Are you plugging for a senior position at Ubi$oft?

Ubisoft admitted there were uplay and network issues on every single game less than 2 days ago.

Ontop of this, are you seriously ignoring every single screenshot, technical issue and so forth, not only on these forums in technical. But also Reddit where Ubi$oft can't actually remove them.

Please, continue to be the white knight that defends subpar developers. You guys contributed defending the current state of DLC and ****ty games we now experience. I can't wait to see how much worse things get, and watch you defend them in the future.

ArlianDeBias
03-04-2017, 01:58 AM
I think you misunderstood my point. My point was it would take MORE effort than I currently value $60's versus how I value my time as it relates to how much money I CAN make in an hour.

And yes, I posted this while at work. I'm not fired because certain luxuries are afforded to certain types of employees at a certain level in their careers.

That didn't come across in your original post, but you're free to value your time however you like.

My point still stands that the time spent trying to get a refund doesn't technically or actually cost anyone any money.

Cro0kers
03-04-2017, 02:25 AM
So overall, no work about gear level unbalance, prestige level unbalance, nor people playing as a group against people playing solo. Disappointing.