PDA

View Full Version : Economy in the game : Everything is overpriced !

N0x2100
03-03-2017, 10:43 AM
Hi there.

I want to start a topic that has been neglected for a bit too long : the economy in the game.
In fact, everything is overpriced by quite a lot !

Let's be real here, even by doing the two daily orders that give 600 steel and several more orders, you still don't get a lot of steel. After playing for about 3 hours yesterday, I got something around 1000 steel. That makes an average of 333 steel per hour but let's go with 350 steel/hour to simplify.
If you want to buy the cheapest thing, it will be at least 3000 steel (which is between 8 and 9 hours of play). This is A LOT for the CHEAPEST stuff you can get. You want to buy a mythic costume at 15000 ? It will be around 42h of play.

In addition, contrary to most of the games that have cosmetics to unlock (LOL, DOTA 2, Overwatch, ...), in For honor you cannot win equipment for the characters you are NOT playing with. In result, if you want to play another character, you have to start anew both in equipement and cosmetics.
This game is not a Free to Play, we paid an average of 60$ to get it. Rewards should be more frequent for the players, especially as you don't get rewards for the character you are not playing.

I would like to hear your opinion on the matter.
Thanks for reading.

Gear88
03-03-2017, 11:01 AM
The whole progression of this game feels like a free2play... it's unfair and unrewarding !! and that's exactly how they wanted it so that they can sell us their steel.
It simply is shameful just look at their disgusting message in game ...

"Not enough time to play ? You can get more Steel by purchasing Packs"

They know it's a grind , people who work 40 hours a week will really have trouble unlocking anything.
Can't wait for limited time event cosmetics that will really bring in the cash...

I swear i love the combat of this game but everything else.. really everything else in the game sucks .. feel scammed even thinking about it.

They should at least double the rates in which you gain steel for finished matches and in addition adjust the prices in the store.

After 120 hours all i unlocked are 2 skins and 1 execution ...

RicWalker525
03-03-2017, 11:17 AM
I have played since release and was rather active, with around 400 games played. I got every single Order since release done. but only got to 20k Steel that way (without the Champion bonus). i shopped only 1 month champion status and 10 Chests for my main character.

This game is really for the no-live players and players with too much money. If you want cosmetics, than pay for them.

The rest of the players have to give their silver into chests to keep up with the no-live players in Dominion. Especially if the Legendary gear (yellow/golden) will come out in the future.

Shad---
03-03-2017, 11:25 AM
Everything is too expensive. It's too aggressive just to get some whales money.

The only way to get some steel is to play some orders but most orders sucks, I don't want to play against AI for instance: let me earn the steel the way a want and in a fair way. I don't want to "work" to get the items in a premium game.

So i am demotivated because I don't have any short term objective. I have got the feeling I will never get some new interesting rewards. Especially as I don't have too much time to play and I don't want to spend some of this time playing some modes I don't like.

Also: it forces you to play only one character which can lead to boredom.

I know there are some technical issues but this topics is also a reason why people stop playing For Honor: Ubisoft may blow a huge opportunity.

N0x2100
03-03-2017, 11:59 AM
I did a lot of orders too but in 40 hours, I think I unlocked something like 6 characters and a Tiara (cheapest item) for my PK. This is insane !
Now I am trying to earn some steel for my mythic costume but here is the good question : Will I be able to get it before the game loses all his player base ? I am not so sure as the time goes on.

Nina_Flowers
03-03-2017, 03:00 PM
"Let's be real here"

You just need to spend more time playing (and winning) to unlock this steel.
Are we in 2017 really do not know yet how this works?
If you dont want to earn "money" by playing, buy "ingame currency" with real money.
"Let's be real here" : This is what Ubisoft wants, my friend.

Gray360UK
03-03-2017, 03:22 PM
Sorry but wanting to dress up your dolly and not being able to doesn't make 'everything' in the game overpriced.

Everything you need to play the game can be gained with no Steel (end of round drops) or low amounts of Steel.

Basic crate - 300
Armour crate - 400
Weapon crate - 400
Premium crate - 500
Ornaments - some free for completing the story / several at 1000
Ridiculous superficial fluff that no grown adult with an ounce of self respect should be sad because they can't have - silly prices

In fact, I am sure there is a link between the sillyness of the price and the sillyness of the item. :D

N0x2100
03-03-2017, 03:38 PM
"Let's be real here"
You just need to spend more time playing (and winning) to unlock this steel.

Are we in 2017 really do not know yet how this works?
If you dont want to earn "money" by playing, buy "ingame currency" with real money.
"Let's be real here" : This is what Ubisoft wants, my friend.

You don't say ! Of course Ubisoft wants to grab more money with monetizing cosmetics and other miscellaneous items. I have nothing to say regarding this. :)

And who said I did not want to earn money by playing ? Gaining stuff by playing is a fun mechanic in every game. We are not talking about the system here but about the numbers. As I said, I do the daily orders (like the other people whom responded to this post), and we play the multiplayers' game to earn even more steel. But the ratio steel/hour played is really low for a game which cost already 60$. You do not add another monetizing system as aggressive as this one, you tweak it smoothly. It is hard to do and that is why it is important to have feedbacks from the community to balance the numbers.

Let's compare the game to overwatch, which has the same monetizing system (Game 50$ + monetizing items). In Overwatch, you get way more objects than you do in For Honor, and you even unlock them for other characters, encouraging the player to swich for another hero if he wants so.

Peligrad
03-03-2017, 03:51 PM
Yeah, the cosmetic items in this game are lol-worthy in price.

It's fairly easy to get a 108 gear score without buying steel as long as you are willing to grind to R3.

But getting the flame wings and unique executions is ridiculously expensive.

it's too bad that I can't do anything with the 30,000 knight salvage that I have built up from scrapping the random purple items they throw at me now that I'm renown 8 on my main character.

Nina_Flowers
03-03-2017, 03:55 PM
Well, I do not see the logic where there is a relationship between "game price" and "ease to unlock items within the game"
And I'm also talking about numbers:
"You just need to spend more time playing (and winning) to unlock this steel."
Keyword: MORE.
For me it is a way to "lengthen" the life of the game.
Reaching 3 reputation you should have enough steel and scrap to make you level 108.
And the highest reputation is 30.
Even getting scrap for a second character from the same faction is too easy.
But ... what grace would have to have everything unlocked within 15 days of the game being published?
I understand your point, just keep playing to get all the shieeet: D

N0x2100
03-03-2017, 04:21 PM
Well, I do not see the logic where there is a relationship between "game price" and "ease to unlock items within the game"
Monetizing items is something that appeared with the emergence of free to play games. As time passed, this monetization has become the leading one in the video game industry. Monetizing items was accepted by the players because the game was free in itself, thus preventing the players from complaining if they had to use real money to accelerate the game systems (energy, gold, etc...). Hybrid monetization (paying a full priced game + adding another monetization system inside) is something that only appeared a few years ago in attempt to get more money per player.

But ... what grace would have to have everything unlocked within 15 days of the game being published?
So here we can talk about numbers :)

I am going to take the numbers of my own progression in this example.
I make an average 350 steel/hour. If I want to have the mythic costume (cost 15000), it takes 42 hours.
Let's say I play an average 3 hours per day (which is probably higher that the average player !) and I play everyday (which I do not but let's assume so): it takes 14 days to unlock only 1 costume :) There is a lot of things that still remain available to purchase (executions, taunts, ornaments, ...). And you multiply it by the number of different characters in the game. You can easily see how wrong is your "15 days" to unlock everything is :)
We can safely assume that even by earning 25% more steel, it still would take a lot of time to get every item, especially since other characters are going to be released during the year :D

AzureSky.
03-03-2017, 05:15 PM
To be honest i think the same, i bought this game, i dont downloaded a free to play game to grind the hell out of it, fix the scaling of the economy or make the game free to play so a lot of people can play hence fix the p2p issues (more people in your region ------> better games)

Also if Ubi dont enable cross play or a magical p2p optimization fix, the game is assured to die in just a few months.