PDA

View Full Version : Appollyon

FBWilson
03-03-2017, 07:17 AM
It's pretty clear that this game wasn't meant to be a single player experience. Everything is geared toward online modes and I think that's fine for the most part. The story wasn't long or difficult and serves as a type of tutorial for the "real" game. That being said I think Apollyon is the greatest character to come from a Ubisoft game in a long time. She's dynamic, interesting and hella fun to watch in her too few combat cutscenes. In this thread I want to talk about why I like her as well as some things I don't like about her (specifically in the final fight against her). Story spoilers ahead but... seriously does anyone care about spoilers for a fighting game? Guess what happens in the game. You're right.

First, I think her character is excellently portrayed. I know this doesn't seem fair because she's one of only ten or so named characters in the game and one of four who is actually important, but everything she does plays into her character. The story, despite us playing as different characters, is told through her. We hear her dialogue and insight throughout the game via the DEFINITELY NOT AT ALL DIFFICULT TO FIND AND IN NO WAY ANNOYING TO LOOK FOR points of interest scattered in each level. She is the medium through which we learn the rules of the land and its people and her perspective is, beyond all else, interesting.

She has a keen military mind and strict moral code that, despite not being "good" isn't exactly evil either. She shows compassion on more than one occasion to her subordinates and even praises them when they confront her directly because their actions are aligning with her goals. In D&D terms I'd label her as a true neutral. She knows exactly what she wants to accomplish and will step on whoever to get it. But if someone shows her something she likes, she'll leave them alone.

Her end goal is to "free the wolves" among all people, something not seen in any villain I can remember offhand. She doesn't want money or power, she just wants to make the ambitious show themselves because she believes that is the best way for people to grow as a whole. And despite how terrible all of that sounds, she's mostly right. Technology gets better in order to keep up with military power. They invent swords, we invent armor et cetera. And she wins in the end. All the armies go right back to fighting the second she's defeated and despite the three main characters getting together at the end, there was a period of about six years between her defeat and that truce.

But the coolest thing about her had to have been all that swagger. Seriously, she owns every scene she's in. Bunch of heavily armed dudes in front of her? She cuts them down like a friggen boss. Armies amassed at her doorstep? She just shrugs and says, "About time." Even when she loses the duel at the end of the game she just kicks back and shows you how she beat you.

All of this is undercut however, with the one thing I didn't like about her character, the boss fight. SHE WAS SO EASY! I played through the campaign twice, once on hard and once on realistic and I never struggled with her at all. I liked how they gave her some cool new moves (her cinematic stab is the coolest looking boss move this side of the Astral Clocktower) but none of it helped to make her anything more than slightly harder than other enemies. In her cutscenes we see that she can wreck people with their own weapons but in the actual fight she's a glorified Warden with a lot of HP. I would have liked to see her with much less health but much more devastating attacks. Give her a vicious moveset with faster attacks and maybe even a OHKO. Make her fearsome in more than just name.

My other complaint with her fight is who you fight her with. I get that the Samurai story is where you fight her but narratively it would have been much better for the Warden to fight her. The Warden has seen all sides of her because they've been on both sides of her army. Early in the game Appolyon saves the Warden and I think it would have been really cool for them to come full circle and face off with her at the end, showing how much they've grown.

Anyway, I just thought it would be nice to write my opinions down.

De4d_0n_Sight
03-03-2017, 08:08 AM
"excellently portrayed"?
How old are you?

The whole story is predictable, the chars are linear and boring.
The devs were more and more incapable to invent anything new, fresh. First campaign was ok, the further you proceeded the more pointeless the story became.

Squ1dF4ce
03-03-2017, 08:37 AM
Good read

emoKittenCZ
03-03-2017, 09:18 AM
"excellently portrayed"?
How old are you?

The whole story is predictable, the chars are linear and boring.
The devs were more and more incapable to invent anything new, fresh. First campaign was ok, the further you proceeded the more pointeless the story became.

Apollyon is great, you are boring.

BuckeyeKnight1
03-03-2017, 07:10 PM
Ahahahahaha. Come on man, it was one of the worst single player experiences in gaming history. Everything, EVERY SINGLE THING about it screamed "tacked on". That's not to say For Honor doesn't have it's highlights and fun parts, but the single player was awful.

You want a GREAT gaming experience? Play Horizon Zero Dawn, THAT is what gaming was meant to be! Not a bunch of morons walking around in circles or hacking their teammates in the back.

Roggicc
03-03-2017, 07:33 PM
Ahahahahaha. Come on man, it was one of the worst single player experiences in gaming history.

Agree, but the cutscenes with Appollyon were good though.
I also liked how the last scene of knight's campaign, how the viking boss stood on his knees, looking at that burning building.
And a scene after valkyrie "interrogated" samurai. "I don't speak Japanese" :DDD

Icetower
03-03-2017, 09:29 PM
I agree, the game should have ended with the Warden taking her out.

FBWilson
03-03-2017, 09:44 PM
Okay, so some of you clearly didn't read the header. I am not saying the story was great. I don't think the story was great. I think Apollyon was great. I think her character was done well. I think her motives were interesting. I literally said nothing about the story as a whole, just this character's part in it.

If you want to troll, at least troll about something I wrote. I mean, I spelled her name wrong as the title of the thread, troll me on that. I deserve it. But don't start in about the whole single-player experience when I literally am not talking about the whole experience. I am talking about Apollyon. Her perspective. Her thread.