PDA

View Full Version : Game in utterly boring...

Ravenskov
03-03-2017, 04:10 AM
*Typo in title, my bad.

I was really excited for For Honor after seeing my favorite content creators get into it from the Dark Souls community and playing open beta. I even bought two copies to play with the wife. We did have a lot of fun for the first few day's in-game. Customizing our characters and perfecting their combo's, having some crazy 2v2 and 4v4 was a blast.

And then I started watching player held tournaments and entered the upper tier of duel brackets with 5+ renown players, right up to the highest player I've seen yet, an R14 Warden. I instantly became depressed and lost interest. Not because I can't compete, not even because of the terrible P2P and master server issues causing horrible detection on my 120Mbps connection...

Nope, it was because its terribly balanced beyond belief. And I don't mean that exclusively towards certain meta classes but rather the game play as a whole. There is simply nothing fun about feinting for parries all day long, even if your the best at it, it's utterly boring and unrewarding. I have way more fun against low skilled players on my Alt account because I don't use the meta, I attack spam and have fun with the game and all the other bad player's do the same. Yet when I hop over to my main and try to get the win in duel's my life turns into a horrible game of turtle time and there's no way to prevent it, there is no current game play solution to punish turtling and everyone is doing it now because it's easy. And to add to this horrible meta quite a few classes are horribly balanced towards each other to the point of half the roster being un-useble against a competent player using meta toon's.

Even when hopping over to Dominion or Death match the gear and revenge mode makes the game just painful. Everyone get's revenge in two hit's and feat's coming from every orifice defeat the purpose of having fun in a skill based environment. Maybe if the classes were all brought to par with each other and gear and revenge were removed from the game or heavily nerfed, as well as a massive overhaul of the camera lock requirement for combat it might be worth holding onto. I don't think revenge mode would be needed if we could fight competently without having to lock onto a single opponent.

I'm at the point where I'm selling my copies of the game, I don't trust Ubisoft to fix these issues in any decent amount of time and when they are fixed the player base will be hollow. It's unfortunate the game ended up this way, it had a lot of potential...

Oh well, that's my 0.02 anyways.

SerArthur-Dayne
03-03-2017, 04:20 AM
Whats a "toon"?

XImohtephXX
03-03-2017, 04:26 AM
I was kinda following your train of thought until the idea of making all character on par with each other maybe some clarification as to exactly what you mean? And maybe I am wrong but I am kind of getting a desire for a Dynasty Warriors kinda vibe here.

Ravenskov
03-03-2017, 04:58 AM
Whats a "toon"?

You really don't know? It's a class, any class, term used in MMO's for years now but your probably trolling.

I was kinda following your train of thought until the idea of making all character on par with each other maybe some clarification as to exactly what you mean? And maybe I am wrong but I am kind of getting a desire for a Dynasty Warriors kinda vibe here.

Not looking for a Dynasty Warriors feel at all, I really don't enjoy those game's. And yes I want all characters to be viable against any other. This is a fighting game, would you play Smash Bro's or Mortal Kombat if half the characters couldn't be used because they are built like trash? This also in'st an MMO where you have the traditional triangle tango of rock, paper, scissors. If your a better player you should be able to beat any character regardless of your choice of character. Just try playing Lawbringer of Kensei against a good Warlord, please reply after face palming at the stupidity of the game play. Yes it's a meta and does still take skill, but not much and it's simply not fun for anyone involved which is a problem, because this is a game and it's supposed to be fun.

Every character has combo's, yet because of bad core game play mechanics they can almost never be used, you'll GSO the moment you try by almost any decent player. Obviously there are a few exceptions but my main point is that the core mechanics are just bad, to the point they might as well be called broken by anyone who has played the tutorial and has a single neuron firing in their brain.

Brave_Thunder
03-03-2017, 09:34 AM
Well,I partially agree.Since we have no ladder,I can't say to play at high level,but I've faced too those cheap spammers or worst,those that faint even their existance in the game,making it a boring wait for the hit that finally doesn't get stopped.Also,watching some streams the high level play is basically made by switching stances every fraction of a second and predicting when the enemy faints.

Boring and disapponting indeed,but honestly that can be said about any high level game.On League for example,you'll get way more kills and action in a gold elo game rather than a master/challenger one.Imo,the solution is to enjoy the game rather than tryng to rank up at all costs.After about 10 defeats against the fainters,finally I've returned in a enjoyable bracket,where I don't have to fear to parry the air,and I'm having a lot of fun here.

Swagneto35
03-03-2017, 10:55 AM
Have you tried to git gud?

Aarpian
03-03-2017, 11:09 AM
Have you tried to git gud?

Gittin' gud is actually the problem. The balance issues are much worse at high level play than low level.

I agree and sympathise with the OP - this game has the potential to be an all-time great, but only if they fix the fundamental flaws in the combat, and at this point I have very little faith that Ubisoft will ever do it.

Jeb22
03-03-2017, 11:20 AM
I mean, so what if people play defensively? What you people are labeling a problem, I don't see as a problem at all. It's about reading your opponent, trying to find an opening, and/or responding accordingly.

Hogmin
03-03-2017, 02:01 PM
Just gonna throw in that you have absolutely no idea if you're in the "upper tier" of duels

Gray360UK
03-03-2017, 02:16 PM
You seem to be equating technical problems with game content problems.
You only briefly mention actual gameplay and then I assume you are talking duels?
If you are playing the game as Duel Simulator 2017 then I would imagine it is very boring.
If you are up to your neck in chaos in Dominion, Elimination or Skirmish then boring is the last thing that comes to mind.
Duels, for me and it seems for the majority of the playerbase, are the least enjoyable part of the game.
Certainly the most boring.

Brave_Thunder
03-03-2017, 02:53 PM
You only briefly mention actual gameplay and then I assume you are talking duels?
If you are playing the game as Duel Simulator 2017 then I would imagine it is very boring.
If you are up to your neck in chaos in Dominion, Elimination or Skirmish then boring is the last thing that comes to mind.
Duels, for me and it seems for the majority of the playerbase, are the least enjoyable part of the game.

Well,that is debatable.Many enjoy the chaos of the 4v4 modes,but it's in duels that you can truly test your skills.And in duels,the more you improve,the more the game becomes boring.And I can't see how the gank modes can improve the mechanics.

Gray360UK
03-03-2017, 03:05 PM
Well,that is debatable.Many enjoy the chaos of the 4v4 modes,but it's in duels that you can truly test your skills.And in duels,the more you improve,the more the game becomes boring.And I can't see how the gank modes can improve the mechanics.

It's not debatable in terms of numbers, chaos is where it's at.
Skill, no argument from me, you can't use anything but your skill in a duel, well, unless it's on a bridge.
Point is, duels are what, 20% of the game, and the lowest played game mode.
I think it goes without saying if you stick to duels the game is going to be boring.
It's like playing World of Warcraft and sticking to duelling people outside Ironforge (people do this).
'Boring' is highly subjective, but you are maximising your chances of being bored if you concentratie on one element of a far larger game.

SndRC9
03-03-2017, 03:16 PM
Sadly there is no opening when your opponent decides to just block and cgb, making it a boring game.

Ever tried using one of your Special abilities that "only 0.001%" can use?

Temjinyuy
03-03-2017, 03:58 PM
Sadly there is no opening when your opponent decides to just block and cgb, making it a boring game.

Defensive Players are really predictable all you have to do is throw in a feint and because they will be looking to Parry into GB they are going end up throwing a heavy by mistake and boom Parry GB :)

Brave_Thunder
03-03-2017, 04:22 PM
It's not debatable in terms of numbers, chaos is where it's at.
Skill, no argument from me, you can't use anything but your skill in a duel, well, unless it's on a bridge.
Point is, duels are what, 20% of the game, and the lowest played game mode.
I think it goes without saying if you stick to duels the game is going to be boring.
It's like playing World of Warcraft and sticking to duelling people outside Ironforge (people do this).
'Boring' is highly subjective, but you are maximising your chances of being bored if you concentratie on one element of a far larger game.

Yep,numbers don't lie,duel is the least played mode.But i noticed that recently brawl is more populated,it's pretty much always at medium activity.The major flaw of duels is that many of them are fought near a bridge.All those honor argouments in 4v4,imo,are made because people want to duel,but they hate the narrow maps of that mode.I'm playng way more brawls now,but if ubi implements ranks without changing anything,duel would be way more popular.Either that,or people will cry for their team just like on every moba,since competition is what makes those games stand for a long time.

Ravenskov
03-04-2017, 12:52 AM
Defensive Players are really predictable all you have to do is throw in a feint and because they will be looking to Parry into GB they are going end up throwing a heavy by mistake and boom Parry GB :)

There's a good chance you haven't played many good people, as feints rarely ever work. The telegraph has to be ended way to early for them to be effective, anyone decent will turtle until that red light blinks.

I did mention gameplay quite a bit. Feats, revenge, camera control and the defensive meta as a whole would all qualify no?

Just gonna throw in that you have absolutely no idea if you're in the "upper tier" of duels

Yes you can, if you have a brain it's quite easy. There's a clear meta developing and you can pick apart who is good and trying to buck the meta and who is good and following it, either way the game is boring AF ATM because of the core meta and gameplay mechanics surrounding them. It's also pretty hard to get to R10 or higher in launch week unless your pretty dedicated to the game and most dedicated players tend to be good and I've played plenty.

If you think otherwise, 1v1 me.

Are those cents or dollar?

If you don't know how decimals work you should probably get that looked at.

1$= 1.00 -> 0.02= 2