PDA

View Full Version : Controller, i switched to xbox elite

Fx2050
03-02-2017, 09:49 AM
i personally found the xbox controller or ps3 controller using a PC was not a great controller for this game.

you either have to have some claw grip system or move right thumb away from stick and press abutton and then quickly move back and try not to lose a split second and keep the movement smooth.

i found this a nightmare for dodge and being quick enough to block. im obviously not that used to using a controller but a claw system is just bad news.

ive now purchased the xbox elite controller using wired to pc and hoping i can learn to use the paddles and life become easier.
hefty price when hardly have time to play games and most i dont use a controller but i just feel its too hard to be good using a standard pad.

hoping my fight will get better

anyone have experience with elite pad and any prefeered button configurations?

ty

Kelemdros
03-02-2017, 10:59 AM
i personally found the xbox controller or ps3 controller using a PC was not a great controller for this game.

you either have to have some claw grip system or move right thumb away from stick and press abutton and then quickly move back and try not to lose a split second and keep the movement smooth.

i found this a nightmare for dodge and being quick enough to block. im obviously not that used to using a controller but a claw system is just bad news.

ive now purchased the xbox elite controller using wired to pc and hoping i can learn to use the paddles and life become easier.
hefty price when hardly have time to play games and most i dont use a controller but i just feel its too hard to be good using a standard pad.

hoping my fight will get better

anyone have experience with elite pad and any prefeered button configurations?

ty

You can remap the normal xbox controller (and actuallyany other controller with steam big picture), here is a tutorial:

https://www.howtogeek.com/234427/how-to-remap-buttons-on-your-steam-controller/

(if you have the game outside steam just add it like this https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2219-YDJV-5557 )

Only problem, they key images doesn't change in the game.

Alchemist..
03-02-2017, 12:29 PM
You can remap the normal xbox controller (and actuallyany other controller with steam big picture), here is a tutorial:

(if you have the game outside steam just add it like this https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2219-YDJV-5557 )

Xbox360 controller not working with legacygamepads i lose hours trying setup my pad and everytime heavy attack rotating your camera instead attacking and as i know there is no solution for this yet

teksuo1
03-02-2017, 12:38 PM
i've been saving for it myself. going for it on friday.

i just can't wait to have my guardbreak button on that top right paddle ready to be hit whenever ; ill put dash on the bigger paddle on the same side.. not having to remove my thumb from the right stick except for feints sounds really good to me :D

having 2 feats on the 2 other paddles will be convenient in dominion also.

can't wait.

Fx2050
03-02-2017, 01:45 PM
my intial test i feel i will need dodge on the top right paddle and guard break eiother on the top left paddle or bottom right

tried dodge on bottom right but it felt weird for trying to attack when dodge

i need to play and test... hoping i start getting better

teksuo1
03-04-2017, 04:59 PM
my intial test i feel i will need dodge on the top right paddle and guard break eiother on the top left paddle or bottom right

tried dodge on bottom right but it felt weird for trying to attack when dodge

i need to play and test... hoping i start getting better

you're right the bottom paddles feel weird. I ended up with only one paddle installed (top right) for guard-break ; and i love it!
changing the sticks to aggressive profile instead of default felt very good too. (feels like there's no more dead-zone at all.)

*couldn't find anything to bind for topleft paddle that felt good.. my brain has gotten too used to send inputs from the right side of the controller somehow.. lol
Dash on this paddle would make sense.. (same side of the controller as the movement stick) but i just can't get used to it.

Fx2050
03-07-2017, 07:59 AM
i now have dodge on top left paddle and GB on top right paddle

seems perfect

im not sure on aggressive mode, not sure what you mean.. but ill check it out

im still too slow on blocking though but least i have a bit more chance if not removing my thumb

Iuslez_
03-07-2017, 10:04 AM

I tried it today and it's not fully working. When doing a dodge+light attack, I often lose my target (like if I had pressed ctrl, even tho I didn't). Any idea why that happens?

FailOfHDDVD
03-07-2017, 10:30 AM
i want to get one too so i can put my gb where i want it to be

lR0NIC
03-07-2017, 11:15 AM
Xbox360 controller not working with legacygamepads i lose hours trying setup my pad and everytime heavy attack rotating your camera instead attacking and as i know there is no solution for this yet

Does adding the game to Steam then using that to config the gamepad work? I haven't had any luck with my wired 360 controller either. Same issue as you and many others.

teksuo1
03-07-2017, 12:25 PM
you can remap anything to anything with the xbox utilities app for windows 10 (get it free on windows store).
*think that's only a feature for the elite controller though.

SethUnleashed
03-07-2017, 01:16 PM
you can remap anything to anything with the xbox utilities app for windows 10 (get it free on windows store).
*think that's only a feature for the elite controller though.

yep it is.
also "everything to everything" isnt completely true...

the steam controller really can remap anything into anything else, even do small macros or put multiple presses on a single button.

the elite controller can do a lot, but has nowhere near as much freedom as the steam controller.

i personally am playing with an elite as well in for honor and i love it.
only thing i wish i could do was remap the zone-attack into a single button, which isnt possible with the elite.

teksuo1
03-07-2017, 01:53 PM
yep it is.
also "everything to everything" isnt completely true...

the steam controller really can remap anything into anything else, even do small macros or put multiple presses on a single button.

the elite controller can do a lot, but has nowhere near as much freedom as the steam controller.

i personally am playing with an elite as well in for honor and i love it.
only thing i wish i could do was remap the zone-attack into a single button, which isnt possible with the elite.

yeah you can only remap an existing button to another existing button, no macros or combinations. i had no idea the steam controller could go that far, sounds like cheating .

Fx2050
03-07-2017, 02:26 PM
zone attack on a bottom paddle would be cool

im going to test the aggressive sticks tonight

FIR3R3APER
03-07-2017, 02:27 PM
Hi all just trying to help out those that want to remap to anything. Here is some pretty nice free re-mapping software you can try that will re-map your controller its called Joytokey the link is here if you want to give it a try. http://joytokey.net/en/ You are able to remap your controller to your PC keyboard for a bit more flexibility. Let me know if you love it.

Pope138
03-07-2017, 04:52 PM
Congrats man, I love my elite. They are delicate, and most of the reviews on amazon talk about how they break before the 2 month(?) warranty is up, so I bought mine from Best Buy and paid the extra $20 for the two year insurance.

It's nice being able to dodge/guard break without taking a thumb off a stick, but the biggest benefit of all is how much easier it makes feints.

My set up:
Top left paddle: dodge
Top right paddle: guard break
Bottom right paddle: cancel

I might try zone attack on the bottom left, but as a warlord, I don't use it much.

Fx2050
03-07-2017, 05:37 PM
nice