PDA

View Full Version : How do i counter side dodge attacks?

Oakleaf__Ranger
02-28-2017, 07:20 AM
Is there a general mechanic that can counter them or does it change depending on specific matchups? If the latter how do I do it as Nobushi against Kensei, Berserker, and Orochi? Please don't say just parry it, that can just be posted as an answer to almost anything on here. And if that is the only answer then does that mean I'm stuck standing all day just parrying while never being able to go aggressive? I find that not even feint works since I just get hit before the feint is even finished.

Braegulfer
02-28-2017, 07:29 AM
Is there a general mechanic that can counter them or does it change depending on specific matchups? If the latter how do I do it as Nobushi against Kensei, Berserker, and Orochi? Please don't say just parry it, that can just be posted as an answer to almost anything on here. And if that is the only answer then does that mean I'm stuck standing all day just parrying while never being able to go aggressive? I find that not even feint works since I just get hit before the feint is even finished.

Depends on your class...some have attacks that can track them pretty well and have a wide arc that is great at catching side dodgers (Kensei, Shugoki, Lawbringer). The other thing is they are gonna attack from the direction they are spinning so yeah, parry or block is the best option. If you start a move, they spin, you feint too late to get your guard up, then you've made a mistake, but honestly when I'm playing a zerker, I get blocked all the time with the spin and punished for it. During higher level duels spin can be such a liability that I rarely use it, just another trick in the bag. Another easy option is just to dodge back if you're out of position and don't think you can get your guard up in time. When I DO spin to dodge an attack I usually only land the light then maybe try a gb or back off if it's a good opponent.

I honestly feel like, just as warlord and conq are a bad matchup for my zerker, nobushi is an easy one (depending on the player too of course). Just as a general rule.

SilverCether
02-28-2017, 07:30 AM
I'm currently Prestige 4 as Nobushi, and let me tell you as Nobushi dodge heavy characters are difficult. This is because your guard stance change is slower than most other characters in the game and most of your attacks are in front of you without much vertical hit detection.

What I do is I go completely defense, not throwing out attack unless they're far enough away that their dodge attacks wont connect. Then I bait out an attack I can parry or wait for them to go for a gaurd break which I cancel and then guard break them back. As Nobushi guard break is your only "good" response to dodges as they can't gaurd break cancel mid dodge. You can also go for guard breaks any time there's a lull in the melee, as this will force you opponent to play more conservatively as they want to make sure they cancel your guard breaks. This makes setting up parries easier.

Don't bother trying to use Hidden Stance, your Kick, and only rarely your zone attack. Any character that has a good dodge can attack fast enough that you'll get hit faster than you can attack from hidden stance. Your kick is too easy to dodge for fast classes. Nobushis Zone is slow and easy to dodge because the i-frames given by dodges will make your zone attack literally go through them..

I don't really know why you have problems with Kensei though, their attacks are so slow that you can parry them for days. It's really PK and Orochi that are hard to deal with. For Zerker I generally just go for deflects until they use a move that is easy to parry and then punish the hell out of them.

Nobushi wants to play really defensive against characters faster than her, and wants to poke and prod characters that are the same speed/slower. So slow it down against fast characters and your match ups should improve. I know you said don't tell you to parry as you want to go on the offensive, but Nobushi isn't fast enough to go toe-to-toe with assassins in the speed department and any decent Assassin will punish you for trying to do so.

Oakleaf__Ranger
02-28-2017, 07:52 AM
So your saying I'm stuck playing like ***** against assassins as Nobushi? FYI I don't have issues against PK and I just listed Kensei since he has the same move as the other 2. He is slower and I can probably go on the offensive/punish him but just listing incase he was a special case or something (haven't played against him enough). If so this is basically me right now

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/997/001/d1b.png

SilverCether
02-28-2017, 07:58 AM
So your saying I'm stuck playing like ***** against assassins as Nobushi? FYI I don't have issues against PK and I just listed Kensei since he has the same move as the other 2. He is slower and I can probably go on the offensive/punish him but just listing incase he was a special case or something (haven't played against him enough). If so this is basically me right now

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/997/001/d1b.png

Well assassins are the "fastest" characters in the game, anyone who's not an assassin has to play defensively to a degree in order to deal with them. Nobushi has less tools to deal with them than some other characters making it even more difficult. My best results in testing the match ups have been from hunkering down and forcing my own openings, as Nobushis attacks are too slow/narrow to not be punished by any decent assassin.

Helnekromancer
02-28-2017, 09:17 AM

Hello I'm a Prestige 7 Nobushi and I ran into the same problem, no matter the game I'm always matched against sidestep spamming characters. If you block an attack and press dash at the same time the Nobushi automatically dashes back after she blocks a hit, it's called Swift Recoil and it's the last move on her movelist. Aslong as you know your environment you can keep kiting them so they can't get close. If you can atleast block one attack you can get out of danger. I would say kick them back but that's dodgeable and your Viper's Retreat is also dodgeable.

But I usually start a fight by using a left or right cobra strike because it comes out pretty fast and the animation lets her dodge an incoming attack just to test what type of assassin they are and how often they sidestep so I know how defensive I need to play. Before I found out the Nobushi can create distance I was getting killed by every sidestep fighting character but now I atleast have a chance to fight back instead of PK and zerks doing infinite lights on my face.