PDA

View Full Version : Maybe This Game Isn't For People Like Me

superjoe3000
02-27-2017, 07:44 PM
I'm the kind of person that is nice and tries to be honorable in this game, but unfortunately, I don't think that will happen in this game any time soon, especially given the way the gaming community acts at times.

Plus I realize that the game is completely controlled by high mobility characters, if you attack on your character is too slow, then you pretty much run the risk of getting dominated no matter what, I realized this while trying to main Lawbringer.

Kharneth88
02-27-2017, 07:46 PM
My friend dominates assassins with his Lawbringer, but he's actually good.

EothK
02-27-2017, 07:57 PM
As a Lawbringer main that is only mediocre at the game I can tell you Assassins aren't that hard to beat.
I even win 2VS1 assassins.

Shugoki is hardest for me as he requires pressure on him to keep him from Super Armoring, but I win that one 50% of the time.

ALso as far as honorable goes.... well it's just a game. I try to do the same, till someone else shows he is not, than I get mean too.

itsPlanB
02-27-2017, 09:43 PM
Oh boy here we go. I'm nice. I play honorably. Prove it. You've provided zero context for this drivel here. How do you know you're nice? Do you have some references that are going to verify your "niceness?" How do you play this game honorably? I'd like to hear more about this segment of your post here.

I'm the kind of person that is nice and tries to be honorable in this game

You follow up your initial biased and silly statement by then making a generalization that lumps everyone into a group of people that you're clearly not happy with. Just because you don't get to play the game the way that precisely fits within your paradigm now everyone else is a poor sport and the community is terrible. Tell me again how you're nice and you're here to just be a better part of the community while just bashing everyone who plays the game .... Just stop.

I don't think that will happen in this game any time soon, especially given the way the gaming community acts at times.

You're clearly not very skilled at the game if you believe that the "high mobility" characters are driving the game. Every class has it's strengths and weaknesses and the chess game that comes from character to character versus any character is daunting. For you to trivialize that to "fast people win" is just stupid.

Plus I realize that the game is completely controlled by high mobility characters

You should probably do a bit of research. Many players are very proficient with the Lawbringer and just ran ramshod over people. Your lack of skill is whats causing your problem, couple that with your inability to actually spend some time learning the mechanics of the game with your penchant for blaming everyone else for your problems and you'll find your exact issue with how this game is played. You're the problem.

If you attack on your character is too slow, then you pretty much run the risk of getting dominated no matter what, I realized this while trying to main Lawbringer.

m3gas_
02-27-2017, 09:48 PM
@ xXl Plan B lXx - That was pretty much the most sophisticated gentlemanly roast I've seen in a long, long time... :D Have my Like, sir !!

Gray360UK
02-27-2017, 10:39 PM
No, this game is not for you. I think that's fair to say if you've come into it with numerous misconceptions and tried to enforce an artificial ruleset onto it instead of accepting the reality of what it is. At least you are honest enough to question yourself rather than blame the game.

Agent Talon
02-27-2017, 10:57 PM
Why do people make up these rules of game play for themselves and then get upset when everyone doesn't agree with them? If you want to play as a "honorable" fighter then do so and just accept that not everyone is going to agree with your stance.

Panzer_Cmndr
02-27-2017, 11:01 PM
Basically what you will get from most of the player base is the typical "git gud!!!111!!111!!1" reply such as you saw with Plan B's rebuttal of your original post. This game has serious balance issues, which is why you see so many of the same few classes being used in the game. The higher the percentage of the player base that flocks to a few classes lends to the fact that they are indeed over powered and need balancing.

Ganking is a huge problem in the game, especially in Dominion. So it is whichever team can gank the most the hardest wins.

Also an issue in Dominion are players that refuse to participate in the objective, lending to losses of matches.

There is a learning curve to the game, I actually am still grasping some of the more complex moves of my characters and I have played since Beta. Which adds to the frustrations of the over powered classes I play against.

I do enjoy the game, and hope to see the game reach its potential, clear of connection issues, balance problems, and such. There will always be ganking, low end players, attempted cheats and unfortunately that is the nature of the beast with MMOs.

My humble opinion, train, train and train some more. Use the training options against the bots, look up videos on your classes, watch how to take on the more op classes with your character choices and in all honesty, fight alongside your teammates. My sons and I play the game together and will use various tactics depending on the teams we end up playing against. The main thing, have fun. If it ceases to be enjoyable, move along smartly.:cool:

Braegulfer
02-27-2017, 11:48 PM
Game is def not for you. You lack the mental fortitude to get good, it's obvious from your post. Time to pick up a nice roleplaying game or something.

itsPlanB
02-28-2017, 12:23 AM
Not sure what exactly you saw in my post that was aimed at Get Good. Critiquing his lack of skill is a very credible component with regards to everyone's game play. That includes mine as well. My having said he needs to get better has nothing to do with "Getting Good" in as much as it has to do with his farcical approach to the terms "Nice" and "Honorable" as a scapegoat for why he wasn't able to play this game well, coupled with the fact that after saying he was nice he broadly painted a brush that cast a light on the entire community as being a bunch of malcontents and mouth breathing fools who can't seem to grasp the ruleset of the game.

Basically what you will get from most of the player base is the typical "git gud!!!111!!111!!1" reply such as you saw with Plan B's rebuttal of your original post.

Not sure if you spent much time on the forums or in game, but all you hear about is how [INSERT CLASS HERE] is over powered. Just spend about 10 minutes glancing through the forums and you'll see the following classes are overpowered; Wardens, Conquerors, Peacekeepers, Lawbringers, Kensei, Shugoki, Orochi, Nobushi, Raiders, Warlords, Berserkers, and Valkyries. In case you're wondering that's all the classes. Are there balancing issues? Sure. There will always be balancing issues when you have multiple types of characters playing in 5 or 6 different types of game modes. Just because the games a bit out of balance doesn't make players over powered. It's a simple concept really when you think about it. If a player doesn't know their character, isn't skilled at the move sets and doesn't have a lot of time in the game they're behind the power curve if they meet someone who only has one of those things and the exponential change grows as the gap becomes larger and larger.
This game has serious balance issues, which is why you see so many of the same few classes being used in the game. The higher the percentage of the player base that flocks to a few classes lends to the fact that they are indeed over powered and need balancing.

People use this word so often it makes me laugh. To gank something from someone implies that they've stolen something. So please take a moment and explain to me how someone ganked a point caputre from you in dominion. Oh that's right. They can't. Because if you're on it you get the capture just like everyone else. See you're just like many others in these forums. You're applying your mandated logic and gameplay as a standard for what should happen. Know the rules of the game. (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1586712-For-those-of-you-confused-by-the-game-mode-rules) Dominion is a 4v4 battle in which you must break the opposing team’s morale and then eliminate them. You do so by scoring points through killing enemies, capturing specific areas, and controlling them over time. Once a team reaches 1000 points, the opposite team breaks and can no longer spawn unless they kill opponents or recapture areas. A team wins by killing the last hero of a breaking team. You notice all those key words in there? I made them bold to ensure that you got to see them. Yup. Team. That means that every kill regardless of who gets it counts toward the total accumulation of stats. You and your single player mentality are playing the wrong game mode.

Ganking is a huge problem in the game, especially in Dominion. So it is whichever team can gank the most the hardest wins.

I haven't run into this personally, but I agree that anyone not actively playing any any game mode is a problem. It isn't a good thing and that is something that I know Ubisoft has even said that they would like the communities help by reporting them. There is a link somewhere, which I cannot find.

Also an issue in Dominion are players that refuse to participate in the objective, lending to losses of matches.

Is this the part where you talk about getting good? Nope. It's the part where you complain that the classes you face are overpowered because you can't beat them. Show me your class, show me the classes that you're going up against that you struggle and I'll show you a youtube video of someone in your class beating someone from that class. Why? Because, they in fact, are better than you are and they have better skillsets than you do. This isn't a game that you just grab the controller and ;;faceroll;; your way to victory. It's a chess match. It's a skill match. It's a time played match. When you stop blaming the game for your losses you'll start becoming a much better player. Until then, you're just making excuses for why you're not good.

My Warlord stats are trash. I'm terrible with him. I believe that between he and the Peacekeeper that they're the single reason that my overall KD is so bad. Is it that the classes I play against are so overpowered? Nope. I just suck at those characters. No Skill. No expertise. No time. Doesn't make them bad. Just me.

There is a learning curve to the game, I actually am still grasping some of the more complex moves of my characters and I have played since Beta. Which adds to the frustrations of the over powered classes I play against.

I agree. I love the game. I hate the connection issues. They're part of why I don't play the game more. Oh and there you go with that ganking word again. As for the low level players being culled, there isn't much room for error honestly. Every day that passes one more player becomes proficient in something and a new player logs in to find that they're getting pummeled. To put this into perspective, it's like the open gym at the YMCA. Some of the hoops guys are NBA level, Some are Collegiate level. Some are High School level. Some just aren't very good. It happens. The game emulates life. Not everyone is the best at everything. Go into the game with an open mind, and a fair evaluation of your skill set and I think your frustrations will be minimal. Walk into this thinking you're the next best thing to E-Sports and you're going down a very long and hard road.

I do enjoy the game, and hope to see the game reach its potential, clear of connection issues, balance problems, and such. There will always be ganking, low end players, attempted cheats and unfortunately that is the nature of the beast with MMOs.

Completely agree. The more time you spend becoming proficient at something the easier it will become. It's just like every skill that you've ever learned. I too play with my sons. My oldest son who lives a long ways away from me plays MUCH better than I do. He's smart, calculating and very adept at making people dead. Me ... I just hope to god that I'm not so bad I'm the best player on the other team.

My humble opinion, train, train and train some more. Use the training options against the bots, look up videos on your classes, watch how to take on the more op classes with your character choices and in all honesty, fight alongside your teammates. My sons and I play the game together and will use various tactics depending on the teams we end up playing against. The main thing, have fun. If it ceases to be enjoyable, move along smartly.

fariic
02-28-2017, 12:42 AM
According to fhtracker.com, by the stats, I'm one of the best kensei's you'll face. Somewhat mobile, but super easy to block and parry if you're halfway competent.

The hardest heroes for me are Conq, warlord, lawbringer, warden, and nobu. The least mobile and more defense oriented classes are the ones that give me the most trouble. I find it the most difficult to beat someone that will turtle than someone that will go on the offensive.

If you guys want to get good at For Honor, I would suggest slowing down. What I have noticed from most people, and which becomes the most obvious after the person has failed to win against me a couple of times, is they're impatient and predictable. Learn to use more than one combo, and don't jump in swinging.

If you do something twice then I know you'll do it a third time. If I lose to someone I do not rush back and try the same thing again, I change things up and try a different approach.

Kensei has one of the smallest move sets; I know that it's possible to approach a fight from more than one combo set.

GLR476
02-28-2017, 12:42 AM
I'm the kind of person that is nice and tries to be honorable in this game, but unfortunately, I don't think that will happen in this game any time soon, especially given the way the gaming community acts at times.

Plus I realize that the game is completely controlled by high mobility characters, if you attack on your character is too slow, then you pretty much run the risk of getting dominated no matter what, I realized this while trying to main Lawbringer.

Yea assassins in general are definitely OP and what ultimately prevents any deeper enjoyment of this game. They just reward less skill players who spam attacks that lag and guard delay only gives you like 5 frames to block, sometimes less. It is ******ed and stupid really and was always the obvious problem with this game.

Slower characters you need inhuman reaction times or completely read/outplay your opponent to make up for how your character is plain slower in every way with almost never doing any more damage or you do not nearly enough to compensate.

fariic
02-28-2017, 12:44 AM
Yea assassins in general are definitely OP and what ultimately prevents any deeper enjoyment of this game. They just reward less skill players who spam attacks that lag and guard delay only gives you like 5 frames to block, sometimes less. It is ******ed and stupid really and was always the obvious problem with this game.

Slower characters you need inhuman reaction times or completely read/outplay your opponent to make up for how your character is plain slower in every way with almost never doing any more damage or you do not nearly enough to compensate.

Kensei has one of the slowest blocks, and assasins are no problem for me; in fact they're the easiest.

The4ngryLem0n
02-28-2017, 12:59 AM
I play a lot of TF2 so I am very familiar with toxic communities but comparatively, For Honor isn't that bad. yeah, you still get the ****s but the ratio isn't as horrible. But first a few things. Define Honor. Now for me personally, I always try to win via a face to face sword. I've gone out of my way to not kill with the ledges and even if I accidentally knock them off to a lower level I will run around the long way rather than drop attack. But some people's definition of honor is different. The same guy who apologized for hitting me while I was typing in chat and even let me get in a free hit to make things fair was ok flinging me off ledges. Because in his mind, it was honorable and fair game (and I was ok with responding in kind and he was ok with receiving his own medicine). The definitions of honor vary from player to player. Some people are ok to both throw and be thrown off of ledges. Some won't do ledges but do drop attacks. Some won't do either. Some think as long as you show respect in victory and defeat then it's honorable. That's not to say there aren't dishonorable players that'll dry hump above you, toss you off ledges then whine when you do it back. But likely your definition of honor probably varies from others.

If you're talking about a 4v4 mode...it's a battlefield. Those modes were meant to be a battlefield and you have to switch gears from fighting game to something akin to DOTA. Yeah, fighting skills are still important but team skills are even more so in those modes.

If people track my replies then I'll be sounding like a broken record. So many times I have rage quit this game, then rethought my strategy, reapplied, and won. This happened A LOT for me. Each class plays differently both in a 1v1 case and in a 4v4 case and you have to adapt your playstyle to not only what you play as but who you play against. This little cycle has happened so many times that even though I still get my *** kicked as lawbringer, valkyrie, and berserker, I am sure it's a problem with my strats and not the game. A lot of slower characters have wicked defenses and counter attacks. You have to adjust your playstyle to them. Try looking at the tutorial videos to get a sense of what they should be playing as. What's likely happening is that your playstyle better fits the high mobility characters so when you try to apply the same strats to the others it doesn't work well.

SiewcaRaka
02-28-2017, 01:05 AM
You want honor? Defeat me and claim it. Everything else, rules, moral codes are just garbage. You can have it, you can like it, you can follow it. But don't expect others to follow your garbage.

BranMandragoran
03-10-2017, 03:54 AM
1v1 is for 1v1. 4v4 is for 4v4. end of story

Cyb3rR4ptor
03-10-2017, 05:16 AM
I fail to understand why "ganking" is such a problem. Every, absolutely, every game that I've ever played that has a team on team system, I have never seen the player community complain so much about being taken out by more than a singular player. You get doubled team in so many games. Shooters, MOBAs, RTS, even in Magic The Gathering you can be double teamed and it's all part of the game. Even in real sports we often seen plays where players use their teammates to take down a single opponent. It's a key strategy/tactic that offers good success for a mediocre cost, and it has a very high risk.

Moderate cost?! Why?! HOW?! Simple. Not visible well on For Honor due to maps being small. *I'd like to see larger maps but that's another topic* In many other MOBA or related games. Concentrating man power in a specific position means that there are several blind spots in their formation. Which make openings to get a lead on the enemy.

WAIT? Ganking is HIGH RISK?! . HOW?! Well if a gank fails it basically means that either all or quite a significant amount of the players in the team got killed. Meaning that there will be a lasting moment (however the respawn time takes) that the rest of the team will probably be outnumbered and most probably ganked themselves.

There are counters to ganking outside of having higher level gear. It's called teamwork.
And what exaclty are these so good ganking tactics.
-Well for starters how about not being by yourself so much?! If the enemy ganks and wipes out your team 2 times in a row. It's actually your and the teams fault. Being wiped by ganks once should send a clear message. STAY TOGETHER. If you failed to notice this and adopt a proper way to manage the situation. You deserve to get ganked again and again. It's basically a "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me".

-Like use the proper footing to your advantage. You can lure your gankers to tight space where they can't properly gank you or take them to places with stage hazards.I remember a game where a buddy of mine and I took an enemy point and all 4 got there. What did we do? Did we up hold our honor and faced the enemy with grace and pride? NOPE. We ran away. The enemy took the point and pursued us. We got them to a tight spot with edges to fall down. We managed to drop 2 of them, the third fell along with me I and my buddy got killed. Leaving the enemy team with a single player who then got ganked by our reamining 2. Sure we lost the battle. But take the perspective that 2 players took down 3. And opened a decent window to take the lead.