PDA

View Full Version : Initial Observations on the Expansion Pack (aka the Top 10 Reasons to Buy it)

Bill_Lester
03-07-2004, 12:01 PM
http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I like it a lot. Here are some brief observations after the first couple of hours play, with a tip o' the hat to David Letterman's Top 10 List:

10. It's no wonder the P-38 killed so many Zeroes, Oscars, etc.

9. The P-80 is a better fighter than the Me-262. The later, I still think, is the better bomber interceptor.

8. The Go-229 isn't anything special, albeit VERY cool looking.

7. The Bf-109Z is actually a more interesting a/c than I initially thought it would be when I saw it was going to be part of the pack.

6. The Me-163 is very difficult to fly and fight well against slow B-17's. Seems historically accurate from everything I've read/seen/heard.

5. The Spitfire...ahhh, the Spitfire. Crummy view from the cockpit compared to some of it's contemporaries but...ahhh, the Spitfire. Finally!

4. The U.S. Far East AF should be glad there weren't many Ki-84's around.

3. The Gladiator is a beautiful but terribly outclassed fighter. Just as it was in 1939-40. God bless those brave Brits who flew them against the 109.

2. Can you actually attack a ground target with the Mistel? (caveat: I only flew it once so far.)

And finally, the number 1 reason to go out and buy the Aces Expansion Pack as soon as possible:

1. Ahhh...the Spitfire.

"It seemed as though the only way a Thunderbolt could be shot down was if its pilot were asleep in its comfortable cockpit." Grumman test pilot Corky Meyer

Bill_Lester
03-07-2004, 12:01 PM
http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I like it a lot. Here are some brief observations after the first couple of hours play, with a tip o' the hat to David Letterman's Top 10 List:

10. It's no wonder the P-38 killed so many Zeroes, Oscars, etc.

9. The P-80 is a better fighter than the Me-262. The later, I still think, is the better bomber interceptor.

8. The Go-229 isn't anything special, albeit VERY cool looking.

7. The Bf-109Z is actually a more interesting a/c than I initially thought it would be when I saw it was going to be part of the pack.

6. The Me-163 is very difficult to fly and fight well against slow B-17's. Seems historically accurate from everything I've read/seen/heard.

5. The Spitfire...ahhh, the Spitfire. Crummy view from the cockpit compared to some of it's contemporaries but...ahhh, the Spitfire. Finally!

4. The U.S. Far East AF should be glad there weren't many Ki-84's around.

3. The Gladiator is a beautiful but terribly outclassed fighter. Just as it was in 1939-40. God bless those brave Brits who flew them against the 109.

2. Can you actually attack a ground target with the Mistel? (caveat: I only flew it once so far.)

And finally, the number 1 reason to go out and buy the Aces Expansion Pack as soon as possible:

1. Ahhh...the Spitfire.

"It seemed as though the only way a Thunderbolt could be shot down was if its pilot were asleep in its comfortable cockpit." Grumman test pilot Corky Meyer

Chuck_Older
03-07-2004, 12:17 PM
Top 10 reasons to buy AEP
10. AEP finally approved by FDA
9. Martha Stewart's lawyer had NOTHING to do with it
8. 1C: Maddox team wisely left out 'Michael Jackson' skin on the '163
7. AEP is a good way to re-alienate all the relatives you've warmed back up to
6. beats weatherstripping the Mrs.
5. Once updated with AEP, Il*2:FB features a handy cupholder
4. Funny cut-scene in which George W. Bush chugs an entire bottle of Listerine
3. Dynamic campaigns now feature a new character: Sgt. Schultz from "Hogan's Heroes"
2. Music bug fix: Charo music no longer played at deafening levels while in flight

and the number one reason to purchase AEP:

1. It comes shipped in a charming beer mug

Wave bub-bub-bub-bye to the boss, it's your profit, it's his loss~ Clash

chuckthepug
03-07-2004, 12:32 PM
No mention of the beautiful BF-110 ... tsk tsk.

Chuck_Older
03-07-2004, 12:48 PM
Bf-110 now features beautiful 3-D wet bar and hot tub

Wave bub-bub-bub-bye to the boss, it's your profit, it's his loss~ Clash

quigs62
03-07-2004, 02:35 PM
On a serious note AEP now lets me run perfect settings and fixed the sound,not to mention the new planes.

RobertNighthawk
03-07-2004, 03:36 PM
Chuck, I'm gonna miss that Charo music (esp. her endearing "coochie, coochie" sounds).

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

And btw, I believe Bush was chugging Dr. Tichnor's mouthwash, known thoughout the South for its high alcohol content and wide availability on Sunday. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif