PDA

View Full Version : I need to understand guard breaking.

lNogardl
02-24-2017, 10:02 PM
I don't get it, i need to known what factors in when you have the right for a free guard break. I know that after a parry against most characters you get a free guard break that your opponent cannot counter, but i swear ive seen people guarding attacks normally and they still get free guard breaks anyway, like the conqueror, bashes your attack with the shield, goes for a guard break, i cant counter it, like ever.

Is this just a timing thing or is it really a free guard break? It's so god damned confusing, even shugokis seem to get free guard breaks after normal guards.

EnderAtreides
02-26-2017, 06:39 PM
There are some moves that, if landed, give an uncounterable ("free") guard break (e.g. Parry if within range). There are some moves that, if missed, give your opponent a free guard break (e.g. dodge if within range.) Unfortunately there is no in-game indicator of a free guard break versus missing the timing window. I'm not sure what the entire list of moves is that gives you/your opponent a free guard break.

GewaltSam
02-26-2017, 08:59 PM
Out of my head:
- Directly after a parry you get a free gb
- after your opponent missed his gb because he is too far away from you, you can instantly grab him for free
- while in the last frames of a dodge you can't counter, too
- Berserkers deflect is a free gb? Not completely sure
-when you started your gb a little bit earlier than your opponent does his, you gb him for free. (This will be changed in the next patch tho: If you grab earlier, you still get yours through, but your opponent is able to counter it)

Many think different, but when you're out of stamina or somebody grabs you from behind, you definitely CAN counter in both of those cases. You just need to time it right.

Peligrad
02-28-2017, 09:34 PM
Out of my head:
- Directly after a parry you get a free gb
- after your opponent missed his gb because he is too far away from you, you can instantly grab him for free
- while in the last frames of a dodge you can't counter, too
- Berserkers deflect is a free gb? Not completely sure
-when you started your gb a little bit earlier than your opponent does his, you gb him for free. (This will be changed in the next patch tho: If you grab earlier, you still get yours through, but your opponent is able to counter it)

Many think different, but when you're out of stamina or somebody grabs you from behind, you definitely CAN counter in both of those cases. You just need to time it right.

These are correct.

Conq also gets a free GB if he blocks a heavy attack assuming he is in range, even if he doesn't parry. That might be what you are experiencing. The obvious thing to do is not heavy attack a conq without feints or mix-ups which is pretty much a given against all characters at a decently high tier of play.

There are also a small handful of heavy attacks that can be interrupted with a GB. Though I don't think this is intentional and may be patched.

As of right now on Xbox 1 and PS4 conq and zerker light attacks open them up to a free GB if they are blocked. This was patched today on PC and will be patched on console soon.

nullward
03-07-2017, 07:42 PM
It's a question of your character state when they try to guard break you, right?

If you are in recovery frames from being blocked or parried, or are in dodge frames, and you get Guard Broken, you can't counter-GB. Right?

It would really be nice if they colored the GB indicator visually to show when a GB is uncounterable, and also explained free guard breaks in the tutorial. It's just confusing to put players through a GB tutorial early on that ends up not actually reflecting the full mechanics.

AlexXsW
03-12-2017, 12:39 AM
Basically GB is uncounterable if it lands while opponent does some action or is playing blocked/parried animation. That includes attack (during its recovery, during cancellable startup of a heavy attack or during any time of any attack if you're GBing while in revenge mode), dodge (but not roll), guard break recovery. If you land GB while Conqueror is charging his heavy attack it's also uncounterable. However there are exceptions - Conqueror's full block stance and Nobushi's Hidden Stance still allow to counter GB. I think this applies to stances in general, but not fully sure.

Here are two interesting examples of uncounterable GB - after blocking Warden's zone attack and after taking hit from Nobushi's Sidewinder Form (given that she doesn't do followup)

I also wish there was a special indication of an uncounterable GB though.

Edit: Oh, I forgot to mention that GB won't connect on a dodge if it is going to be followed up by a roll (double dodge back or leaving guard mode while dodging)

kaleanna
04-16-2020, 12:58 PM
Good article, good information helps me a lot
driving directions (https://driving-directionsmaps.com/)