PDA

View Full Version : Solution to Defensive Standoffs - Capture Zone for Duels/Brawls

Varicose_Veins
02-24-2017, 01:01 PM
Let's face it; for Ubi to go back to the drawing board and fix the overly powerful defensive fighting paradigm could take months.

So let's think outside the square. How do we avoid standoffs?

My proposal is simple and offers a secondary way of winning Duels/Brawls by having an objective. (The primary way would remain the same as now; kill your opponent and the Round instantly ends.)

1) Each map would have a Capture Zone, ideally positioned in an open space where players usually fight (and not near environmental death areas).

2) Whoever captures the Zone successfully instantly wins the Round. If neither player captures the Zone, the player with the lower MMR wins the Round.

3) First player into the Zone is deemed to be capping it. Capturing it takes 10 seconds, and during this time you are very vulnerable to attack; your health reduces as you are capping it so you can be killed by one hit. Stamina is unaffected and stays the same as when you enter the Zone. You can still fight as normal during the capping process - so it's risk for reward.

4) If you are forced out of the Zone while trying to capture it, the capping timer ceases and your Health instantly returns to what it was before entering the Zone.

5) Rounds end at a random time between 4 and 5 minutes to stop counting down the clock and last second dashes for Capturing the Zone.*

This shouldn't be too hard for Ubi to implement since Zone captures already happen in Dominion.

*This proposal also helps resolve this issue: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1588880-Reduce-the-time-limit-on-duel-matches

Varicose_Veins
02-24-2017, 01:13 PM
Lol. No. Just no. Duel is duel and not king of the hill.

Well if we're relying on Ubi to give us a revamped fighting model where offence has primacy over defence that simply isn't going to happen.

And tweaks to chip damage, stamina, parry etc. won't fix the fundamental issue.

So in the face of this reality and limitation, we need an alternative objective that can encourage fights.

PendragonArtura
02-24-2017, 01:14 PM
You said it yourself. It's already implemented in dominion mode.

If you wanna fight an offensive player, just capture a dominion checkpoint, and wait for the ennemy. If than want the checkpoint they will have to attack. The solution is already here.

r4ptorr
02-24-2017, 01:30 PM
Strange idea.. By strange I mean - in order to avoid defensive standoffs you suggest a zone to capture, which means you have to play defensively in it... Does not make any sense..
Ubi could simply tweak duel mechanics and punish defensive gameplay a little more, so the duel actually becomes an action packed test of reflexes, not some turtle game.

As a punishment for a defensive gameplay could be a mechanic where you can only defend from one attack and then it needs 1-2 seconds to cooldown before you can successfully defend from locked on player again. (This mechanic should not work on external attacks so we could still defend from multiple enemies). To make it fair, you can still parry/deflect without any cooldown.

This would mean that if you attack someone they can defend by reflex once, but the second attack will go through if you try to defend again - the only option left is to try a parry/deflect/dodge, or the attack will go through even through your defence.

Just an idea though.. i am pretty sure I can't brainstorm a revolutionary solution in 10 minutes so this is likely with it's own flaws.

Hogmin
02-24-2017, 04:20 PM
This is an absolutely ludicrous suggestion, why bother having duels as a game mode if you throw a capture point in there that's so ridiculously punishing.
Nobody likes the standoffish boring defence "meta" but this is not a solution I'd want. Ever.