PDA

View Full Version : One Stop Shop: Raider

xXSCoNNeryXx
02-20-2017, 04:28 PM
https://ubistatic19-a.akamaihd.net/resource/en-US/game/forhonor/fh-game/fh_raider-rec-content-e3.jpg

Below you will find links to guides, videos, and similar things to help you learn how to play the raider. Below these links I will share my own personal thoughts on topics that I do not feel have been covered by the people who have written or recorded the stuff provided in the links.

I have personally watched or read the contents in the links below before posting them. If you find something that I may not have up please feel free to post it in the comments..

VIDEOS

Tru3Ta1ent (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJWKYA8bb60) - This is a video guide walking through the basics of the raider, then applying and thinking them through as to how the raider would play against living, breathing opponents. He also shares highlights of his stream that can be helpful to gleam some wisdom from. His live twitch streaming is decent as well. In fact at the time I'm typing this he really wants to main Raider. So that's a thing. Also noticed he is fairly good at responding to chat, especially if your a twitch prime member. So that's cool.

Klyka (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B56LasfLHRA) - another guide with commentary from two different players just going through the basics of raider.

GUIDES

Pappus Gaming (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1579569-Raider-How-to-kill-after-a-single-grab-Ascertain-Dominance) - A link from right here on the forums. Respect this persons dedication into researching and studying the Raider. Includes match up tips per hero, and even a "punishment table" based on parry. While I prefer a name along the lines of "maximum carnage table" it's pretty good as is. Check out his twitch and other stuff while your at it.

Hall of Heroes (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1499952-Hall-of-Heroes-Raider-Guide?highlight=raider) - A very good guide from the Hall of Heroes discord. Good information here to begin with, and you can also join the discord through a link at the bottom of the guide.

QUICK TIPS
You've reached the part of the post where you will find my personal ramblings. When I play I will run into something new that I have to tackle. I will share my thoughts here, and keep a vigilant eye out for any better content that may demonstrate a solution more completely. But for now your stuck with my thoughts on the matter.

Dealing With Light Attack Spam
As the raider assassins such as the peacekeeper feel like they can get close and spam light attack to subdue us as our guard time is much slower. My advice is to try to determine the pattern they use to initiate, as most light attack spammers follow a set pattern. It might be dash to right side, left light, right light, top.

People are creatures of habit. i have a tendency to swing from my right side more often (something I am trying to correct). So learning the pattern can help you block.

Try getting a parry, a light parry ensures a heavy swing into their head that may make them think twice. But if you can't parry them you still have more option.

Keep them at distance. Your axe has a significant reach. Don't be afraid to do a side heavy when they are just out of range. Follow it with a light attack to surprise them. Or start another heavy from the same direction. They may get cocky and try to move in. If they do that you can cancel it into a stunning tap.

Try not to close distance against light spammers with stunning tap. They will dodge and punish. Use the animation of the swings to put pressure and get into range while keeping them out of theirs.

Light attack. You don't always have to use heavy attacks. Mixing a light into the middle of two heavies is suprisingly quick. And side lights can catch a light spammer off guard as they go to start their "combo". You can even combo into your unblockable if you have them close to a wall, as most will attempt to dodge this and not parry if they are just spamming light.

I will try to do some research and find videos that better display these concepts when I am not at work.

Guard Break Spam
After a rather frustrating night of running into folks who just camped ledges looking to throw people off I figured this needed to be added. People who spam guard break are quite toxic. If you are playing in a gametype where it is possible just avoid them. If you cannot do this be patient and make them come to you. If you have to approach them bait them into trying to go for a grab by being just out of reach. Then use your dash into guardbreak to surprise them and throw them to their deaths.

All gloves are off when people play like this. Double team them, ignore them, do what you have to. Just don't get frustrated and give them the satisfaction of throwing you off over and over again.

You should never attempt to use your running grab against these opponents if they are aware. They will be expecting it and will just dodge and throw you off.

If you do attempt to fight them again, pick maps that have fewer ledges. This will depend on the gametype of course. Laugh as you crush them with actual skill as there are no ledges to get thrown off of.

TL24SS
02-20-2017, 05:45 PM
Much appreciated for the links!

DDSDevilDog
02-20-2017, 07:17 PM
Thanks!

xXSCoNNeryXx
02-20-2017, 07:22 PM
No problems guys. I will expand this once I am out of work!

Staypunk1989
02-21-2017, 12:11 PM
This should be a sticky...

bump !!!

xXSCoNNeryXx
02-21-2017, 01:45 PM
I just updated the original post with my thoughts on countering light attack spam and guard break spam.

Feel free to share any videos and guides you come accross!

TTVPappusGaming
02-21-2017, 01:58 PM
Gonna tell you a little secret - all right handers will have a natural inclination to attack more from the right. It is just that we prefer movement away from the body compared to towards it since it is easier.

xXSCoNNeryXx
02-21-2017, 03:10 PM
Gonna tell you a little secret - all right handers will have a natural inclination to attack more from the right. It is just that we prefer movement away from the body compared to towards it since it is easier.

I agree. So hard to break the habit. Feels so akward to push the stick to the left.

Egotistic_Ez
02-21-2017, 04:00 PM

Except that this is a raider thread and our zone attack always comes from the left and pommel always from above.

xXSCoNNeryXx
02-21-2017, 04:06 PM
Except that this is a raider thread and our zone attack always comes from the left and pommel always from above.

Indeed that is the case, but I have a tendency at least, when using non specific directional attacks to favor the right hand side.

TTVPappusGaming
02-21-2017, 04:11 PM

You are not getting the point. The tendency is about attack direction we have control over. We can't influence where stunning tap or the zoneattack come from. You can be sure as hell though that the heavy before soft feinting into stunning tap usually comes on the right of the raider.

Every human has that habit quite and simple. We prefer movement away from the body over moving inwards. It is general but in for honor it means most attacks are rightsided.

xXSCoNNeryXx
02-21-2017, 04:47 PM
Just updated the first post so it looks pretty. At the risk of my boss finding out I am posting on a forum during work.

DDSDevilDog
02-21-2017, 05:07 PM
So with Assasin classes, we should keep pressure up? These and the Nobushi are the ones I really struggle with. Orochi I can handle aside from his guardbreak, heavy repeat until I am dead. That one is my fault because I struggle with my CGB timing, but PK and Nobushi I pretty much get trounced and each for different reasons. pK I just can't move fast enough to block and get distance from them to be effective, while Nobushi I just can't seem to close the distance on without being punished and poisoned. Those fights usually end with them running away and me dying from the poison.

Titzi-
02-21-2017, 05:46 PM
So with Assasin classes, we should keep pressure up? These and the Nobushi are the ones I really struggle with. Orochi I can handle aside from his guardbreak, heavy repeat until I am dead. That one is my fault because I struggle with my CGB timing, but PK and Nobushi I pretty much get trounced and each for different reasons. pK I just can't move fast enough to block and get distance from them to be effective, while Nobushi I just can't seem to close the distance on without being punished and poisoned. Those fights usually end with them running away and me dying from the poison.

Don't worry about CGB timing this will be fixed. How many times I lost the round because of that p2p cgb ****.

As for Nobushi, I tend to play hyper passive and block her first light and parry the 2nd, her stamina will be low so she won't play agressive. From that moment I try to swing heavy in the wind and then light + unblockable if she has no reflex and hasn't parried you yet, or guardbreak + unblockable or throw into object and heavy.
You can also just go back and get your distance right.

If she happens to be close to you or near a wall, parry, throw, heavy + unblockable. If you can't block or parry and she's agressive don't hesitate to dash/roll back to get the distance. If you time it correctly, you can hit a heavy after she first light hit (you must not get hit, be at the right distance), the second light hit she does you just move your character to the same direction to avoid the attack and land a heavy (possible only if you're at the right distance from her). You will escape the attack from an inch and as you throwed the heavy while moving in that direction it will land if she has no super fast reaction. Needs you to throw your heavy almost at the same time as ehs throw her attack, so need a bit practice to do it.

Peacekeeper a little bit easier since her engage are either the top attack (easy parry) or dash guardbreak (be ready for it everytime) or side attacks. As they said before , people have patterns and you'll guess where they go once you read them.

If you can't block the top attack just side dash and stun tap, do what u want then.

That's how I manage with them, maybe the others have other solutions

xXSCoNNeryXx
02-21-2017, 05:54 PM
for the pk I have found pressuring with side lights can really help. Get them close to the environment then side light into unblockable. They will spam attack so if you dont think you are going to be able to parry dash and roll away. I generally take a heavy swing to the right. If I see the PK start to move in i chain to a light. If they seem to be staying back I heavy again. But i also make sure that this heavy wont put me right in front of their face with my pants down. Keeping them at the proper distance is what helps me.

Nobushi can work the same way as above. But I have found sometimes you just gotta light combo them and get in close.

I think in general people try to play the raider like a LB. Super defensively. But you need to be a bit more offensive imo.

DDSDevilDog
02-21-2017, 11:03 PM
Appreciate the tips!

Egotistic_Ez
02-22-2017, 01:33 AM
You are not getting the point. The tendency is about attack direction we have control over. We can't influence where stunning tap or the zoneattack come from. You can be sure as hell though that the heavy before soft feinting into stunning tap usually comes on the right of the raider.

Every human has that habit quite and simple. We prefer movement away from the body over moving inwards. It is general but in for honor it means most attacks are rightsided.

My point was though that it's not a downside in the case of the raider. If anything it's a pro. You're instinctively attacking from the side least selected by default, evening out your overall attack direction bias.

xXSCoNNeryXx
02-22-2017, 08:35 PM
I do believe that anything we can do to help mix up our attack directions can help with any character. But raider especially.