PDA

View Full Version : What do I do with this mountain of Scrap?

IronMarla
02-18-2017, 08:11 AM
I have a couple thousand Knight Scrap.

Since I can't get purples until Rank 3 and I'm just saving all my money and boxes until then... why is it that I have a zillion Scrap? What does it do? Why can't I buy more packs with this ****, or do something other than add numbers to gear?

I have PILES of it and it's all utterly worthless.

What's the point, here?

TucuReborn
02-18-2017, 08:23 AM
The whole purpose to scrap is to upgrade gear. It does nothing else.

I guess congrats on complaining about your being rich as hell?

It's better to have too much than not enough anyways, so I don't see what your problem is.

IronMarla
02-18-2017, 08:25 AM
Whether or not it's better to have too much than not-enough, it's indicative of a poor economy to be sitting on thousands of scrap.

Also, it's pretty ****ing unfortunate that my money is worth nothing until Rep 3 on a given character, at which point The Good Stuff can actually drop.

Maybe purples cost an arm and a leg in Scrap to upgrade, I guess? I don't know. It just seems like a useless currency. Makes sense, since it's the one you can't buy with actual money, but there's just... the economy in this game seems like it was just kinda slapped on there to satisfy monkeys that want to spend numbers to bump up other numbers, and it provides no agency whatsoever to players in terms of spec or anything else.

I don't get it. Is it really just a 'we put this in here so no one can say gear is P2W' sort of thing? Is that all scrap is for?

TucuReborn
02-18-2017, 08:34 AM
Whether or not it's better to have too much than not-enough, it's indicative of a poor economy to be sitting on thousands of scrap.

Also, it's pretty ****ing unfortunate that my money is worth nothing until Rep 3 on a given character, at which point The Good Stuff can actually drop.

Maybe purples cost an arm and a leg in Scrap to upgrade, I guess? I don't know. It just seems like a useless currency. Makes sense, since it's the one you can't buy with actual money, but there's just... the economy in this game seems like it was just kinda slapped on there to satisfy monkeys that want to spend numbers to bump up other numbers, and it provides no agency whatsoever to players in terms of spec or anything else.

I don't get it. Is it really just a 'we put this in here so no one can say gear is P2W' sort of thing? Is that all scrap is for?

"Economy" suggests an actual form of trading, but your point is somewhat valid. However, I can explain how scavenging boxes work better now that you have given me this info.

Yes, once you are rep 3 you can start getting heroic gear. However, it's not always dropped endgame. Premium Boxes can guarantee at least 2 heroic ranked gear pieces for 500 Steel. From what I have seen, a single Heroic piece uses several hundred scraps per upgrade. You can also get "unique" weapon bits, which have a star and look awesome. Only one "unique" weapon exists for each class though. From what I can tell these are the rarest heroic items you can get.

And whoah are you wrong on the ability to spec. People can make builds that legitimately oneshot other players during revenge and have revenge up constantly, or go for maximum stamina and barely have to let up on attacks. You can also build for speed or feat reduction.

Lastly, the more "serious" modes have gear disabled. 1v1 and 2v2 just use it likes "hats". And tbh, gear only becomes useful later in the game when people can max it all out on heroics. At lower levels it's minor changes, and skill still takes priority. I've taken down 40+ gear users with gear level of ~15.

IronMarla
02-18-2017, 07:51 PM
I mean... gear is intended to be at least somewhat zerosum, from what I can see. It's a net gain, but you give up a bunch of damage or defense to get stam regen, or any combination of those; most gear just makes the differences way wider.

I find that gear is, for the most part, just an additional extra; I never feel like my gear saved my life, although I have seen some scary one-shotty **** happen in Revenge. Whenever someone pops that I just backflip out of the fight and come back when their vengeance disappears, or pop them with a crossbow to keep them from hammering my teammates. Berserkers especially, their Vengeance is ROUGH.

Also, I guess if purples take hundreds of Scrap for upgrades... fine? But the whole system seems transparently ****ty to me. Even by modern standards (see: soulbinding, no trading, no economy whatsoever, etc.) it's pretty grossly cash-shop oriented.