PDA

View Full Version : Abusive steel system (A message for the devs and a call to action)

xxgregotaurusxx
02-18-2017, 12:54 AM
The Steel system is a straight up absuve freemium model system,the problem here is that we paid for this game. It serves only to hide the obscene prices or customisation and other aesthetic choices in the game. the the generation speed of steel is low so as to make you cave in and pay their rediculous prices

lets take for example a single mythic outfit for a single character, these cost 15000 steel,this represents many many hours (playing this game 4+ hours a day from launch i only have 9000 having spent almost nothing so far)

or should i want to buy it i can buy a pack of steel,having done the math on exchange rates ive figured a mythic pack to cost $24 in my currency of New Zealand dollars or $17.24 USD...$24 for a skin? that is insane considering its basically just a collection of symbols,backgrounds for armor pieces you already have and a visual effect

I am making this statement to publically and unequivocally say I simply will not pay these prices and that if these freemium practices are not seriously toned down I will simply walk away from this game that i enjoy on principle

I encourage you to post in this topic if you agree with me let them know on https://support.ubi.com/en-GB/Cases/new?method=email. if enough of us flood them they may take notice.

PotatoLord47
02-18-2017, 12:57 AM
The Steel system is a straight up absuve freemium model system,the problem here is that we paid for this game. It serves only to hide the obscene prices or customisation and other aesthetic choices in the game. the the generation speed of steel is low so as to make you cave in and pay their rediculous prices

lets take for example a single mythic outfit for a single character, these cost 15000 steel,this represents many many hours (playing this game 4+ hours a day from launch i only have 9000 having spent almost nothing so far)

or should i want to buy it i can buy a pack of steel,having done the math on exchange rates ive figured a mythic pack to cost $24 in my currency of New Zealand dollars or $17.24 USD...$24 for a skin? that is insane considering its basically just a collection of symbols,backgrounds for armor pieces you already have and a visual effect

I am making this statement to publically and unequivocally say I simply will not pay these prices and that if these freemium practices are not seriously toned down I will simply walk away from this game that i enjoy on principle

I encourage you to post in this topic if you agree with me let them know on https://support.ubi.com/en-GB/Cases/new?method=email. if enough of us flood them they may take notice.

But... It's just a skin dude ;-;
Is it even necessary to dress yo *** like a barbie? :P

TucuReborn
02-18-2017, 01:00 AM

I don't see your point here. They charge for some customization like a lot of other games, and you can still get it free. It's not meant for you to get everything easily, and thinking that it is would be silly. And of course the $ value is pretty high for ingame pixels, but so are skins in most games. It's not like there's any reason to buy them except to show it off anyways, as they have literally no benefits. Besides, if you are making 9k steel in four days, that means to can get a mythic to show off about once a week. That's not bad at all for the "rare" skins, especially since some games don't even let you get skins for free at all.

CaptianBeetle
02-18-2017, 01:02 AM

I took my valk from 1 to lvl 7 of first prestige. At prestige, i had about 12k steel. It only took about 2 days to prestige (and not playing all day even) So i think you're doing something wrong.

Do your daily missions, they give you steel. WIN more. You'll get more steel. Invest in the champ status if you can afford it with your current steel, which you should be able to. You'll get more steel for winning.

Getting steel is so easy, I find it a bit strange to see this argument being made. If only because purchasing steel doesn't actually give you any advantages that you couldn't get with simply investing more time/ winning more games.

DBLxxShotz
02-18-2017, 01:02 AM

Youre right. But youre not going anywhere. Youll keep playing and putting up with Ubis greedy ways. People have been saying the same thing youre saying since the company was founded and people still buy ubi suck games.

DrExtrem
02-18-2017, 01:04 AM
Skins, emotes and executes are nice but well ... only a steel sink.

You want to know what is better? blackened armor, exotic patterns and special emblems. You can not buy those for steel.

TCTF_SWAT
02-18-2017, 01:08 AM
you can make roughly 10k steel a week...what's the problem?

TournyMasterBot
02-18-2017, 01:27 AM
The problem is steel also gets you gear, 500 steel for a premium pack, which gets you 2 guaranteed rare items. 15k steel is 30 gear packs. So while cosmetics are fine, having the same system get you gear is not.

TucuReborn
02-18-2017, 01:39 AM
The problem is steel also gets you gear, 500 steel for a premium pack, which gets you 2 guaranteed rare items. 15k steel is 30 gear packs. So while cosmetics are fine, having the same system get you gear is not.

You also don't need to buy gear packs. The drop rate seems high enough they're only needed for people who are lazy or impatient. They also don't even effect two game modes that are very popular.

Sirrkas
02-18-2017, 01:53 AM

For me it doesn´t look like gear is that important. I just finished a 4vs4, where all opponents had prestige 1 and gear of 40 + while our team just had one at that level and the other 3 were below level 10 and gear was nearly not used. We still won 3 points to 1 and in the winning rounds, we mostly had not more than 1 dead guy.

At the end of the day the gearlevel just says, one has put a lot of steel, time or boxes in that character. It doesn´t tell anyithing about actual skill.

Astranger023
02-18-2017, 02:06 AM
I don't see your point here. They charge for some customization like a lot of other games, and you can still get it free. It's not meant for you to get everything easily, and thinking that it is would be silly. And of course the $ value is pretty high for ingame pixels, but so are skins in most games. It's not like there's any reason to buy them except to show it off anyways, as they have literally no benefits. Besides, if you are making 9k steel in four days, that means to can get a mythic to show off about once a week. That's not bad at all for the "rare" skins, especially since some games don't even let you get skins for free at all.

You don't see the point then let me make this easy for you Look down the point is there.

The point is you and others payed 60euro or what ever currency you use in your country, the problem is not that the costumes cost that much or that you have to grind alot for the look, if everyone has to grind for it is fine. BUT and as you can see it's a big one, having to grind alot for something another player can get by simply pumping some cash into the game doesn't feel like an achievement and takes away the acomplishment of actually getting it for a game you already payed for.

If you are reading this you have gone too far down and didn't see the point please try again by reading the text above.

Zordrage
02-18-2017, 02:15 AM
You don't see the point then let me make this easy for you Look down the point is there.

The point is you and others payed 60euro or what ever currency you use in your country, the problem is not that the costumes cost that much or that you have to grind alot for the look, if everyone has to grind for it is fine. BUT and as you can see it's a big one, having to grind alot for something another player can get by simply pumping some cash into the game doesn't feel like an achievement and takes away the acomplishment of actually getting it for a game you already payed for.

If you are reading this you have gone too far down and didn't see the point please try again by reading the text above.

My achivement is the saved ammount of irl money that i work for. :3 what you spent 100$ on those skins ? Aaaawwww look i got it free :p

Astranger023
02-18-2017, 02:22 AM
My achivement is the saved ammount of irl money that i work for. :3 what you spent 100$ on those skins ? Aaaawwww look i got it free :p

Ok now do the math how much money would you have made if you worked instead of trying to unlock these skins.

KnifeInUrNeck
02-18-2017, 02:32 AM
Hey, I got an idea! Put in the time to grind the steel, drop a couple bucks to by the fancy armor you want, or just don't and move on with your life. If a person buys 50 boxes with cash, what noticeable boost does he have over someone of the same level? He'll have more scraps for upgrading and could pay for some upgrades but you could upgrade your gear to the same level or close without dropping a penny. All I hear is salt because you actually have to put in effort.

SeranaEclipse
02-18-2017, 02:38 AM
You also don't need to buy gear packs. The drop rate seems high enough they're only needed for people who are lazy or impatient. They also don't even effect two game modes that are very popular.

Nope you do not. in the story you can get around 15-20 ish??? Scavenger crates plus all the bonuses from stuff like beta, pre order, season pass ect.
You get at 1st Rep 1-2 common drops per game. 2nd Rep you get 1-2 common/rare 3rd Rep you get 1-2 rare/heroic (with champion status)

Here is my current time sink and as people in game call no life class. http://puu.sh/u7OYU/5890e7d003.jpg all it does is make a lot of people give you abuse (because they have no meaning in there life so they decide to belittle others) or makes the whole team gang up on you because you put time and effort into something and they either do not like it, are jealous or think you are a god at the game despite being avg lol

To get all my gear to max it cost me almost all i saved in dismantling from all my lvling. around 30 crates and every drop. plus around 20k steel to upgrade.

To OP
The outfits cost a ton and are just for looks. to get heroic gear you have to earn it. or spend a S*** ton of RL money on it after you get to Rep 3.

Edit: You also make around 5-10k steel from doing the story for the first time and looking for stuff.

teksuo1
02-18-2017, 02:42 AM
after paying 120$CA for the game and another 190$CA for an elite controller ; i can't justify buying steel on top of it all.
I'll have to no life the &^%$ out of the game i guess.

Zordrage
02-18-2017, 02:46 AM
after paying 120$CA for the game and another 190$CA for an elite controller ; i can't justify buying steel on top of it all.
I'll have to no life the &^%$ out of the game i guess.

Under a month you prety much gonna have all the stuff that you most wanted.

Thats not nolifing XD

OP just gone all rage for no reason

I dont think he realy enjoys the game and that a few days to get something seems like an eternity for him for this reason.

Astranger023
02-18-2017, 02:49 AM
Hey, I got an idea! Put in the time to grind the steel, drop a couple bucks to by the fancy armor you want, or just don't and move on with your life. If a person buys 50 boxes with cash, what noticeable boost does he have over someone of the same level? He'll have more scraps for upgrading and could pay for some upgrades but you could upgrade your gear to the same level or close without dropping a penny. All I hear is salt because you actually have to put in effort.

You basicly answered your own question. Oh yeah he get's this and that and this, but it's totally fine that i payed 60 bucks of my cash to start off on a not even playingfield where people can gain advantages by pumping even more money into the game.

xxgregotaurusxx
02-18-2017, 02:50 AM
wow i was just saying hey this model is a super abusive freemium model but hey if ya'll wanna get taken advantage and be charged crazy amounts of money of thats your call. Me ill be gone before too long,im not sticking around for such an obnoxious grind long term

Zordrage
02-18-2017, 02:55 AM
You basicly answered your own question. Oh yeah he get's this and that and this, but it's totally fine that i payed 60 bucks of my cash to start off on a not even playingfield where people can gain advantages by pumping even more money into the game.

Lol what advantage ? Trust me that better gear is barely an advantage.

Also the topic is about the cosmetic stuff.

Also gear itself is super easy to get in this game. Im allready choking in it bassicaly XD

Also gear level is tied to your prestige level so if you buy all those crates at prestige lvl 1 then GZ on throwing money out of the window.

Just save your stuff til prestige 3 then bam full set...

Astranger023
02-18-2017, 03:07 AM
barely

Notice the barely is barely an advantage not an advantage? You and others payed 60 bucks for this game why are there micro-transactions in this game?, to fund the dedicated servers? <-J/K

Pocket_Fox
02-18-2017, 03:59 AM
Just pricing on cosmetics is ridiculous. You can say 'you dont have to buy it' all you want, but what if a game sold gold skins for $1,000 USD. Wouldn't you be annoyed?
It means that content, albeit cosmetic is largely unattainable. So you paid 60 dollars for a full price game to have additional content kept from you.

SeranaEclipse
02-18-2017, 04:11 AM
Just pricing on cosmetics is ridiculous. You can say 'you dont have to buy it' all you want, but what if a game sold gold skins for $1,000 USD. Wouldn't you be annoyed?
It means that content, albeit cosmetic is largely unattainable. So you paid 60 dollars for a full price game to have additional content kept from you.

That is a pretty ignorant thing to say considering games out there do have things like that. CSGO skins for example. A lot of games have skins or cosmetics locked in some way and all tho the price is a little high they are by no means unobtainable and the fact you think that proves how ignorant some people are.
*cough* Overwatch + the hundreds of other games that do lock you out or give RNG based unlocking systems *cough*

Syllogy
02-18-2017, 04:25 AM

Here's a principle for you: If you don't want to spend money for cosmetic items, don't buy them.

TR.WhiskeyD
02-18-2017, 04:34 AM
It seems the concept of your argument revolves around your impatience. You can earn everything. Those who are too lazy will spend cash. Gripe all you want. It won't change a thing. Gear is hardly important in this game. It is only relevant in 4v4 matches and you won't have any significant advantage unless everyone on one team crushes in gear score compared to the other. Your argument is moot.

TR.WhiskeyD
02-18-2017, 04:36 AM
So you paid 60 dollars for a full price game to have additional content kept from you.

It is kept from your either way...you earn it or you pay for it. If something couldn't be earned...maybe I'd care, but if it is a cosmetic...I don't need it do I? No.

Mid_Evil
02-18-2017, 04:41 AM
Yeah the prices for steel are very REDICULOUS but just don't buy the skins. Don't buy the steel. Some people will buy the steel for these fancy outfits. We have all seen them around by now. And if people are going to pay half again the cost of the game ubisoft is NOT going to remove it. Think of it from their point of view. Say someone plays 2 characters they want to dress up all pretty. Hell ubisoft just sold that guy 2 copies of the game basically. If you were ubisoft would you remove that? Hell no! I don't agree with the fact that farming for steel takes so long, I'm just a realist. This will not go away as long as people out there are willing to pay. And there always will be.

Noellessa2016
02-18-2017, 05:26 AM
I bought the mythic skin that gives sakura blossom petals for the Nobushi because I find it really nicely done and fitting -- the core disagreement of much of these posts seem to be people who value things differently. For example, to me paying $30 to unlock costumes is about 20 mins of real life work. To get the steel via the game to get all 3 skins in a pack would be about...45k steel which would take a TON more than 20 mins of my time. So to me, 20 mins of work is well worth it instead of spending however long it would take to get 45k steel. For others, maybe students and such with more time than money, getting those skins via earning in game steel via playtime is better. Netter is wrong -- some have more money than time, others more time than money. Since every single thing in the game can be gotten either way, neither should be thought of as 'wrong'. Either you get it using the time you have (and patience), or the money you have (since your time is more limited). In addition, all of these things are voluntary - you don't HAVE to get the costumes or emotes or whatever -- but everyone can, be it by more playtime or more money.