PDA

View Full Version : A PERFECT analogy for the people who can't understand the balance of the game

CoyoteXStarrk
02-17-2017, 07:30 PM
Here is a simple analogy.

Think of the different heroes, their speeds, attacks and combos like guns in a first person shooter.

- Different guns will have different reload speeds, damage numbers, ADS speeds, and even the number of bullets in a mag.

- Each gun will have its uses, strengths and downsides.

- Some guns are gonna outperform other guns in certain situations and vice versa.

- Not all guns in a FPS are meant to perform the same way. Otherwise there would be no point in choosing between them

- You pick the gun that best reflects the way YOU wanna play the game.

- You can't choose a gun and FORCE it to play the way you want it to play. You don't pick a shotgun if you wanna snipe.

Not all heroes are gonna be the same or perform the same in the same situations.

For Example

If you are in a tight space vs a Lawbringer his kit allows him to wallbang you into submission by slamming you all over the place. Meanwhile if you take that SAME Lawbringer and put him in the middle of a large open space he has ALOT less to work with.

You have to keep the kit of your hero in mind while fighting and use their various strengths and weaknesses to YOUR advantage and be sure not to play into the strengths of others even if that means just walking away from a fight without a kill.

In that same line of thought you also have to keep the kit in mind when deciding how you wanna play. You can't just choose the Lawbringer because he looks cool and go out and expect kills to fall in your lap.

Thats not his job.

He is a bully and stun machine not a kill hoarder. If you want to roam around and get kills then you need to pick a hero that is MADE for that very purpose.

This game is not like most other games so the way its balanced and built will seem strange. Are there balancing issues? Of course. Every PvP game will always have issues. But the majority of the issues I have seen are stemming from a basic misunderstanding of the way the game and its heroes are meant to work not ACTUAL balancing issues.

CoyoteXStarrk
02-17-2017, 07:42 PM
Self bumping for relevance

Knight_Gregor
02-17-2017, 08:00 PM
Do you really think people are so far beneath you in intelligence that they can't figure this out on their own? The problem most people have is that there are some characters that do too many things too well.

For instance. I main conqueror (obviously) and am okay with his defensive playstyle. Heck, I'll go as far to say that the game encourages his playstyle. But there is a problem when classes who have more tools to keep people guessing and quicker reactions attack-wise can play just as defensively.

Braegulfer
02-17-2017, 08:01 PM
I'll bump ya too. Analogy feels a little forced but every single point is valid and I appreciate the thought behind it.

CoyoteXStarrk
02-17-2017, 08:04 PM
Do you really think people are so far beneath you in intelligence that they can't figure this out on their own?

If I have learned anything being on Video game forums is around 70% of the playerbase dont know HOW the games work. They just like that that they do.

So when they are a big guy that gets beat by a small guy because they can't deal with their speed they call BS and say its not balanced.

But it is balanced from the perspective of the game. Small heroes are meant to be faster and more agile. Just like the big heroes are meant to hit ALOT harder than the little guys.

I'm not saying that EVERYONE isn't understanding this concept but a LOT of posts I have seen this past week shows just how little people actually understand the concept and premise of the game.

Are there balancing issues? Yes.

Are there as many as people think? Not even close.

Knight_Gregor
02-17-2017, 08:10 PM
If I have learned anything being on Video game forums is around 70% of the playerbase dont know HOW the games work. They just like that that they do.

So when they are a big guy that gets beat by a small guy because they can't deal with their speed they call BS and say its not balanced.

But it is balanced from the perspective of the game. Small heroes are meant to be faster and more agile. Just like the big heroes are meant to hit ALOT harder than the little guys.

I'm not saying that EVERYONE isn't understanding this concept but a LOT of posts I have seen this past week shows just how little people actually understand the concept and premise of the game.

Are there balancing issues? Yes.

Are there as many as people think? Not even close.

Fair enough. I agree with this.

CoyoteXStarrk
02-17-2017, 08:17 PM
Fair enough. I agree with this.

I'm seriously not trying to be condescending when I make these threads. I am genuinely hoping that someone who really may not understand what is happening and is on the verge of dropping the game will see this and say "Ooooooh okay I get it" and will stay and adjust his playstyle accordingly.

I often joke about "Scrubs and haters" leaving the game makes it better, but the reality is that in order to have a playerbase we need PLAYERS and I prefer that playerbase to be an informed one. Even if that means posting seemingly obvious and redundant threads like this.

Not asking everyone to agree. If I am able to convince just one person to adjust his viewpoint or expectation in order to give the game more slack I consider that a victory.

CarnivalLaw
02-17-2017, 08:23 PM
You love hearing yourself speak. Please stop spamming the forum with every opinion you formulate. Four out of five are pure ****e.

CoyoteXStarrk
02-17-2017, 08:29 PM
You love hearing yourself speak. Please stop spamming the forum with every opinion you formulate. Four out of five are pure ****e.

You seem to misunderstand what a forum is for........

Also are you saying that I am wrong or are you just annoyed I made another thread?