PDA

View Full Version : What is the advantage of Socket 940 over Socket 754 in AMD processors?

sledgehammer2
07-30-2004, 06:01 PM
I know the 754 is in retirement and the 940 is the newest. For example.... on Newegg I see the AMD Opteron Model 242 Operating Freq 1.6 Ghz, Socket 940 for $203.00(OEM). Then you can see the more powerful AMD 64 3200 (which I am leaning towards) Socket 754. I have been reading here that some say it would be unwise to get an AMD with the socket 754 since it is about to go out.
In my situation, if this helps clarify anything, FB/AEP is the only game I play. I am not into overclocking and I am not interested in playing any other games out there except for PF and then BoB. My more immediate concern is AEP and then PF for right now. I would like to run AEP at Perfect settings, and the system I have been playing on was a Dell P3 1 gig with 384 mb of RAM and a Nvidia 64 mb Ti4200 (or Ti200). Bout a month ago the HD died so I have been out of the cockpit since then. Now that I almost have enough money saved ($800) I would rather put all my energy to the new rig and not back into the old one. My budget is around $1000-1100. And thanks to everyone that posted on my Perfect settings thread - that has helped get me focused.

sledgehammer2

Remember Peleliu 1944

sledgehammer2
07-30-2004, 06:01 PM
I know the 754 is in retirement and the 940 is the newest. For example.... on Newegg I see the AMD Opteron Model 242 Operating Freq 1.6 Ghz, Socket 940 for $203.00(OEM). Then you can see the more powerful AMD 64 3200 (which I am leaning towards) Socket 754. I have been reading here that some say it would be unwise to get an AMD with the socket 754 since it is about to go out.
In my situation, if this helps clarify anything, FB/AEP is the only game I play. I am not into overclocking and I am not interested in playing any other games out there except for PF and then BoB. My more immediate concern is AEP and then PF for right now. I would like to run AEP at Perfect settings, and the system I have been playing on was a Dell P3 1 gig with 384 mb of RAM and a Nvidia 64 mb Ti4200 (or Ti200). Bout a month ago the HD died so I have been out of the cockpit since then. Now that I almost have enough money saved ($800) I would rather put all my energy to the new rig and not back into the old one. My budget is around $1000-1100. And thanks to everyone that posted on my Perfect settings thread - that has helped get me focused.

sledgehammer2

Remember Peleliu 1944

sledgehammer2
07-30-2004, 08:23 PM
OK, so if nobody seems to think that this is worth a reply then I guess there isn't that much of a difference.

Remember Peleliu 1944

fordfan25
07-30-2004, 09:21 PM
i am in your almost exact position. while i agree with every one about the 939 being the way to go you have to stop and consider something.were talking with the 3200 or in my case the 3000 64 754 thay are very fast cpus. by my way of thinking by the time you need to upgrade that cpu "probly 2 years"it will about be time to upgrade the mobo to.not to mintune i think i seen were thay have just come out with a 3700 socket 754 so even that would be a good jump in speed a year from now if you had to.unless there are resons to do with stabilty issues or something like that from all that iv read and every one iv talked to
RIGHT NOW for a gamer on a budget the 754 may be the way to go.if some one has a better idea i know im very willing to change my mind but the price between a 3500 socket 940 or what ever it is and a 300064 pluse the price between the mobo is about 250 dollers U.S

NetDaemon
07-30-2004, 09:58 PM
Ok, I`ll rise to the challenge since I been doing some research on the subject lately because I want to get me an AMD64 myself. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

When the first AMD 64bit CPUs appeared (called Opterons), came with 940pins and an integrated memory controller that supported dual channel operation. These CPUs are for server and workstations only and support MultiProcessing (two-four-eight way) operations too.

Then AMD released 64bit CPUs for the desktop market in two flavors:

- 940pin AMD64 FX processors (for the high end enthusiast/workstation market) which were basically Opterons stripped off the MP(MultiProcessor) Features (one way processors only).

- 754pin AMD64 processors for the mainstream market, which besides having the MP support cut off, have a cheaper integrated memory controller that supports single channel operations only.

So, basically the difference between socket 940 and socket 754 CPUs was dual channel versus single channel memory support. Therefore socket 940 based PCs enjoy more memory bandwith.

Then AMD released recently socket 939 CPUs, all of these CPUs support dual channel memory operation. From now on, AMD64 FX processors and vanilla AMD64s(with more cache) in 939pin format support dual channel memory operations. Both of these 939pin processors are considered high end 64bit CPUs.

In order not to loose the mainstream market, AMD is keeping the 754pin cheaper AMD64s, which will have half the cache as the 939pin ones as well as the already mentioned cheaper memory controller which supports single channel memory operations only. So these 754 chips are considered the mainstream 64bit CPUs.

So the bottom line is:

- Socket 940 supports only dual channel Opteron and AMD64 FX CPUs and is now being phased out.

- Socket 939 replaces 940 and supports both FX processors and high end vanilla AMD64s with bigger cache and dual channel memory.

- Socket 754 goes on unchanged and supports only vanilla AMD64s with single channel memory and half the cache as their 939pin brothers(in most cases).

Hope that clarifies things a bit.

"Friends don't let friends buy Nvidia FX cards"

fordfan25
07-30-2004, 10:34 PM
that helps alot thanks.so um wich one had the cup holder http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.for real though thanks. so thay will be makeing more 754 cpus for a little while longer.

sledgehammer2
07-31-2004, 04:21 AM
Thanks for the help guys. This does clear it up some. Seems like the 754 would not be a bad move.

Remember Peleliu 1944

tsisqua
07-31-2004, 05:29 AM
I have a socket 754, AMD64 3200+, and all of the issues have been worked out. Trust me, this beast is a screamer. I really don't think that either one of these two CPU configurations (socket754 vs. socket940) will be realizing their full potential for awhile. I have a beta copy of Win XP 64, and there stilll isn't enough driver support to warrant using the 64bit OS, so my system is still running 32bit software. I have yet to see 64bit software run on this machine, but I know that it is coming, and I am ready for it.

I don't see how you could go wrong either way.

Tsisqua

http://server6.uploadit.org/files/tsisqua-bird1.JPG

olaleier
07-31-2004, 06:44 AM
754 is definately a good choice, but the recent drop in 939 CPUs made it slightly less so...but I love my 3000+ http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Right now it's cheap, it's fast and it will last you a good while. IMO, if you're on a budget like me, the 939 performance is not yet worth it.

I did the math, and I figured if I didn't upgrade my vid card now (9800 -> x800/6800), I would be able to go all out s939 3800+ and PCIe x800 around xmas or new year...and then it will suck after six months. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

==================================
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v30/olaleier/cobrasig.jpg
==================================
Marvin in hyperlobby