PDA

View Full Version : Questions about P-39N

[]_---_[] KITT
07-26-2004, 09:49 PM
I almot never flied it cos I know it's a quite difficult plane to fly with its tendecy to stall. But I just gave it a try in an offline campaign. One word WOW. She's armed to teeth. One second burst...bye..bye..bandits.

It's so different with my previous plane (IAR80-Well 4-7.62mm even with 5 second bursts if you don't hit the engine nothing will happen).

Any tips of how to fly it in air-air combat?
It seems to b quite a capable plane but if so why the US didn't use it against the German or why it wasn't very popular among the US pilots (I know abt P-51, P-47, P-38, P-40 but P-39??? before IL-2 I never heard it).

Thx for answering my curiosity.

"He was St Peter"

[]_---_[] KITT
07-26-2004, 09:49 PM
I almot never flied it cos I know it's a quite difficult plane to fly with its tendecy to stall. But I just gave it a try in an offline campaign. One word WOW. She's armed to teeth. One second burst...bye..bye..bandits.

It's so different with my previous plane (IAR80-Well 4-7.62mm even with 5 second bursts if you don't hit the engine nothing will happen).

Any tips of how to fly it in air-air combat?
It seems to b quite a capable plane but if so why the US didn't use it against the German or why it wasn't very popular among the US pilots (I know abt P-51, P-47, P-38, P-40 but P-39??? before IL-2 I never heard it).

Thx for answering my curiosity.

"He was St Peter"

310th Falcon
07-27-2004, 04:20 AM
S! Kudus

Although rarely seen in the European theatre of operations, the Airacobra was extensively used by the Russians and in the pacific theatre. It was too heavy and it's engine was suitable only for low altitudes, so it failed being an air superiority aircraft. Against the German and Japanese nimbler aircraft it suffered too much losses, but succeeded greatly in the Eastern Front. Because of it's heavy armament the Airacobra turned out to be an effective ground attack aircraft. The Russians loved the plane because of it's armament and sturdy build.

The Russians received over 5000 of these aircraft in a Lend-Lease program set up by the Allies to help Russia.

Best Regards http://www.cup.com/kobayashi-dojo/english/aisatsu.gif

http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/421522095/0.jpg

jurinko
07-27-2004, 06:00 AM
it had poor alt performance and was quite dangerous for novice pilots. Soviets removed some armor, machineguns, even pisoar and run the engine in forbidden regimes until the engine was destroyed. Then took another lend-leased P-39 http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

---------------------
Letka_13/Liptow @ HL

TgD Thunderbolt56
07-27-2004, 06:17 AM
It's not as good as it once was, but is likely more accurate now anyway. Its strong points are:

1. Great at scissors and turn-fights.
2. responds well to the throttle input
3. very good zoom-climb

The armament is neither good nor bad. The .50's are ok for plinking away and ruining the bandits performance enough to allow you to get close enough to put a 37mm into his head at close range. (at least that's how I try to do it).

With it more difficult to fly well now, I like to fly it even more than I used to. I was on Birds-of-Prey the other night and was the only one flying the Cobra...I did ok. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

http://www.greatergreen.com/il2

JG53Frankyboy
07-27-2004, 06:59 AM
the proplem the western allies had with the Airacobra ( RAF at channel , USAAF at Southeast pacifik) was , as already mentioned, that the Allison engine of the P39 was rated for lower alt. also it was not the best climber.
and sure, a A6M2 could outturn a P39 http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

with german fighters it was another story, the P39 could outturn all of them - wich it did in USAAF service in northern africa (where it was used mainly a groundattack plane) and at the easternfront (the VVS used the P39 as a interceptor , never as a groundattack plane - just for normal strafing).

one of the major plus points of the P39s were also their reliable radios! a thing that soviet pilots nod had at the time of its appereance over the easternfront. so , they could obtain totaly new teamtactis - Pokryshkin wrote the bible for that !

and it was fast (at the alts of the eastern front combat), could turn (against Bf109 and Fw190) and was strong armed for a soviet fighter also it had a good dive acceleration (good for Pokryshkins Fighter tactics)

ZG77_Nagual
07-27-2004, 08:10 AM
It is untrue that the soviets used the 39 for ground attack - it was used almost entirely for air-superiority. The bad rap of the 39 was gained in the pacific by first run 39ds that had to be assembled hastily from crates. They were flown vs the creme of the japanese army and navy air forces and the tactics employed by the inexperienced american pilots were antiquated and played to the strengths of the japanese fighters which usually had the tactical advantage anyway. In other words it was as much or more the situation as it was the aircraft that resulted in the bad rap with Americans.

The vvs used the P39 purely for aerial combat and with tremendous success. Many of the highest ranking soviet aces flew the p39 and the aircraft was continually improved by bell at vvs suggestion.

For perspective from one vvs airacobra pilot read here.

Golodnikov on the P39 (http://airforce.users.ru/lend-lease/english/articles/golodnikov/part3.htm)

Personally I find this plane fully competitive with all other planes in the simm - including Ki84s, yak3s, la7s. The most difficult opponents are the late 109s - but I think this is partly because there are a number of skilled pilots who've taken the time to really learn the 109s. The 39s strong suites are

>Aerodynamically very clean - good accel in a shallow dive, very good e retention during zoom.

>Excellent turn.

>Great rudder! The rudder - used with a little imagination, adds an interesting dimension to the plane's maneuverability

>Great guns. The n1 is slower than the others - but those four .303s really add something. The 37mm is a great show stopper.

Drawbacks

>Raw power. Lose your e on the deck and you'll have trouble getting it back. Against the powerful late 109s or Kis you can lose a turn fight this way simply because they can sustain it better. Allways keep your energy state in mind.

>Somewhat fragile. Wing hits rip chunks out and affect handling pretty dramatically (not as bad as the 190 though) Engine will burn relatively easily as well.

PBNA-Boosher
07-27-2004, 10:21 AM
Use your MG's to line up shots, and slightly damage components. DO NOT use the 37mm cannon unless you are within .05 of him. if you hit him outside of that it will be a lucky shot.
Don't waste that cannon.

Boosher

horseback
07-27-2004, 10:35 AM
Very simply, the P-39 was well suited to the Eastern Front and Soviet tactics. Everywhere else the fight was too high for the Allison to be fully effective, except for ground attack.

Below 11,000 ft it was competitive with almost everything out there to the war's end. It had good guns, altho the 37mm had rather strange ballistics (USAAF pilots in the Pacific preferred the RAF version P-400's Hispano 20mm cannon, and some later versions used this when available), better climb than the P-40 & comparable (ie; damned good) turn and dive, and the tricycle landing gear was much better for rough-field operations (take offs and landings are the most hazardous non-combat flight operations for most pilots).

It was of a similar size with Soviet fighters (and tiny by American standards) and enjoyed good success in its initial deployments by the VVS, as contrasted with the British and American experiences (that high altitude performance thing), so it was available in large numbers for Lend Lease without penalizing US needs after 1942.

cheers

horseback

"Here's your new Mustangs, boys. You can learn to fly'em on the way to the target. Cheers!" -LTCOL Don Blakeslee, 4th FG CO, February 27th, 1944