PDA

View Full Version : Where Would You Like AC to Go After Empire?

Sigma 1313
02-16-2017, 06:02 AM
I think based on gameplay and a desire for a trilogy, assuming the rumors are true, Empire will take place during the 1st-3rd Century Roman Empire in Egypt with its sequels being in Greece and Rome. As a result, I have ignored the Roman Empire as a time period. Let me know if you'd prefer other settings!

Beyond these, I think that the following settings have potential, but are too similar to current games and media, or would be bad gameplay wise:
Spanish Inquisition
WW1/WW2 Germany
Trojan Wars
Punic Wars
British Raj in India
Russian Revolution
13th Century Mongolia
13th Century Egypt
American Civil War
Charlemagne's Reign

Or the possible upcoming games in order of likelihood:
Roman Empire Rome/Egypt/Greece
Achaemenid Empire Egypt/Greece
New Kingdom Egypt

D.I.D.
02-16-2017, 09:07 AM
This is the trouble with location *and* a time period - it makes polls almost impossible :)

I voted for Spain under the Moors, but I'd also be happy with anywhere in China or India, Prague, Berlin, the Mali Empire.

ArmanYeghoyan
02-16-2017, 09:14 AM
Here is my favorite time periods i would like to see:
1.Ancient Egypt
2.Ancient Greece
3.Roman Empire
4.Scandinavia/Viking age
5.Feudal Japan
6.American Civil War
7.World War 1
8.World War 2

Honorable Mentions
1.30 Years War
2.100 Years War
3.Ancient Babylonia
4.American Wild West/Gold Rush Era
5.Ancient Persia
6.Haitian Revolution
7.Irish Independence War
8.Ancient Armenia

ERICATHERINE
02-16-2017, 10:22 AM
Anywhere, as long as that precise character is the one we control. ^-^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcUwhFYEqro

LoyalACFan
02-16-2017, 10:47 AM
OMG, I have 10th-century Scandinavia as one of my AC reboot pipe-dream locations. Even have some rough plot ideas, lel.

But to be honest, my greatest wish for AC is a sailing game in East Asia a la AC4.

marvelfannumber
02-16-2017, 11:07 AM
Beyond these, I think that the following settings have potential, but are too similar to current games and media, or would be bad gameplay wise
If you're limiting it to settings that would not be bad gameplay wise, then what on earth is Scandinavia doing here? 11th Century is still a bit better than earlier centuries, but still quite bad. The only way to have an interesting Viking AC game would be to set in during the Viking raids in England or the Mediterranean I think.

D.I.D.
02-16-2017, 01:40 PM
If you're limiting it to settings that would not be bad gameplay wise, then what on earth is Scandinavia doing here? 11th Century is still a bit better than earlier centuries, but still quite bad. The only way to have an interesting Viking AC game would be to set in during the Viking raids in England or the Mediterranean I think.

I think the most interesting story you can tell about the Vikings, in terms of setting, is about the Varangian Guard who served as the elite unit of royal protection for the monarchy of what is now Turkey.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varangian_Guard

They arrived there because of trading, specifically the trade routes from Europe through the Middle East that extended into China and became nicknamed by historians as the Silk Road. It's because of these excursions that we find Viking graves today in Northern Europe of people buried in their best silks. Messages written in Viking runic language can still be seen today, scratched into the stonework of the oldest architecture. They're even in the marblework
Inside Hagia Sophia.

I know we went there in Revelations, but I don't think it would be fair if Istanbul never got a true AC project. The team worked hard but too fast on ACR, and the game didn't do the city or Turkish history justice. This would be an opportunity to tell a great story about the Vikings which is not well known enough, and also tell more stories about the local people.

Plus I just want to see those buildings full-time and in the new engine :)

D.I.D.
02-16-2017, 01:42 PM
Gah. Typed that on my phone and I can't edit because of the broken forum software. "Full-scale", not "full-time"!

marvelfannumber
02-16-2017, 02:11 PM
I think the most interesting story you can tell about the Vikings, in terms of setting, is about the Varangian Guard who served as the elite unit of royal protection for the monarchy of what is now Turkey.
Dude, I would kill someone to get an AC game, or an open world game in general in Roman Constantinople. Set in either the reign of Justinian, Basil II, Alexios Komnenos or even the 4th Crusade.
Oh, and before anyone says we've already been there, compare Roman Constantinople to Turkish Istanbul and tell me Istanbul in Revelations doesn't look like a ghetto in comparison:

http://i.imgur.com/UGDPNyQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ciqZhkv.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/s60h9wd.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kIXo35q.jpg

RinoTheBouncer
02-16-2017, 07:13 PM
Babylon or Sumer.

Those are my most favorite eras and civilizations and the most under represented in video games and movies. It would be something totally original and the fact that these periods are shrouded in mystery, gives a lot of room for innovation and less need for historical accuracy, and also because that era is heavily linked to Ancient Astronauts theories which is the base for the First Civ. mythology, makes them quite ready to be linked to the games' lore.

Rugterwyper32
02-16-2017, 08:04 PM
Voted Moorish Occupation of the Iberian Peninsula, it's one of my top dream settings. But going for a top 10, I'll get my old list which is still the same...

1. Spain and Portugal during the Reconquista, times of Almanzor
2. Thirty Years War/Dutch Revolt, covering a lot of central Europe
3. Ming Dinasty China (Full on game, I like Chronicles but a proper game would be fantastic. And Shao Jun wasn't voiced by Ming-Na Wen so still disappointed about that)
4. Post-Decemberist Revolt Siberia
5. Cambodia during the Khmer Empire
6. American Civil War
7. South America (Peru, Ecuador and Venezuela, namely) during the Wars of Independence
8. Guatemala/Yucatan Region of Mexico during the final stages of the conquest of Peten
9. Latvia, Estonia and Eastern Russia during the Livonian War
10. 16th century Yemen and Oman

Honestly any of those options would be fantastic.

I-Like-Pie45
02-16-2017, 10:01 PM
my choices

1. An saga of violence in the American Frontier, spanning the Civil War (the part without all the famous battles) and the Indian wars.
2. The American Prohibition
3. The Great Northern War plague of Europe, it'd be like Bloodborne with less werewolves and more Assassins
4. Jesus
5. Shanghai in the 1930s, just like that one game Team Bondi of LA Noire fame was making before they died
6. Taiping Rebellion
7. Meiji Restoration Japan
8. Assassin's Creed Xtreme Beach Volleyball, like this but with all our favorite Assassins (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNR_HofJ_Fs)

crusader_prophet
02-16-2017, 10:26 PM
Gupta empire under rule of Sri Gupta during 240 - 280 CE. He was Vaishya (merchant) class and his rise to power as an emperor of Indian subcontinent - Bharatvarsha (today's India, Pakistan, Bhutan, Bangladesh, parts of Afghanisthan) was unprecedented as emperors usually belonged to the Kshatriya (warrior) class. There are many historical figures, poet Kalidasa, writer Vatsyayana (wrote Kama Sutra ahem so we will get some action in the game), astronomer Varahamihira and mathematician Aryabhatta (credited with inventing zero or rather recognized the importance of it) who flourished during this time. This era saw a departure from orthodox Hindu practices and propagation of Buddhism. Caves like Ajanta and Ellora could be depicted as First Civilization stuff.

SixKeys
02-16-2017, 11:22 PM
India has always sounded like an interesting location to me, so I voted for that. Babylon would be my second choice.

Sorrosyss
02-16-2017, 11:27 PM
Eh, I'll always say that I want an oriental AC. The architecture would be quite different to explore, plus there are lot of myths out there that could be turned into great Isu lore. So...

1. China
2. Japan
3. Korea maybe.

After that Russia, and India. And yes, I firmly want to ignore that three of those locations were wasted on the Chronicle games. :p

crusader_prophet
02-17-2017, 12:02 AM
And yes, I firmly want to ignore that three of those locations were wasted on the Chronicle games. :p

Lol, I feel British Raj period in India is too modern. It was too much of a cognitive dissonance for me when I read Brahman to digest the appearance of Durga as an Isu goddess. Probably because I know too much about her from reading Hindu mythology. I have not played Chronicles India though, but I think I'll have the same issue. Ancient and medieval India is still a very much attractive locale/time period that is begging to be explored in an AC game with tons of opportunities to infuse Indian mythology with Isu lore.

Sigma 1313
02-17-2017, 01:14 AM

I thought about both of those, and think that they would be good for a viking game too. In the end, I thought the conflict between the Vikings and Rus would be more interesting, with a setting less like the other's we have had, or will likely have soon in the future (London/UK and and Italy/Istanbul/Possible Greece game being on or near Mediterranean). I think the Mediterranean might even work better than Scandinavia for gameplay. I believe you also mentioned Roman Constantinople? I'd be up for that, because that'd be fairly different than what we saw of it in ACRev.

RVSage
02-17-2017, 05:09 AM
With a bias, I will always pick later Vedic period India :D

marvelfannumber
02-17-2017, 09:47 AM
I thought about both of those, and think that they would be good for a viking game too. In the end, I thought the conflict between the Vikings and Rus would be more interesting, with a setting less like the other's we have had, or will likely have soon in the future (London/UK and and Italy/Istanbul/Possible Greece game being on or near Mediterranean). I think the Mediterranean might even work better than Scandinavia for gameplay. I believe you also mentioned Roman Constantinople? I'd be up for that, because that'd be fairly different than what we saw of it in ACRev.
The Mediterranean would undoubtedly be way better for a VIking game, either focusing on the raids in Southern Italy, the Varangians or even King Sigurd's I "Crusade" (which was seemingly just an excuse to go on a random adventure to Jerusalem in order to get some random relics).

As someone who lives in Scandinavia I know what it's like here, it would suck for parkour and travel. The average Viking town would look like this:

http://i.imgur.com/MbuyGC3.jpg

And in Norse times we didn't have temples, we worshipped the Gods on random mounds:

http://i.imgur.com/mEEvvep.jpg

So in conclusion there would be very few towns, the towns themselves would have wide streets, short wooden buildings and no monumental architecture. This means the game would have to stick to nature...which aside from Fjords (which I don't think would be all that practical gameplay wise due to their size) would be extremely simlar to North America.

It would pretty much be AC3 all over again but with Viking clothes on.

Shahkulu101
02-17-2017, 02:39 PM
India, Japan or China for me. I'm not a history nut (despite studying history - lol!) so I don't know which time would be most interesting. They are just settings of a style we haven't seen before, we've had Europe, The Middle East, North America, the Caribbean, but East Asia and the Indian subcontinent have yet to be explored. I just want completely different architecture and cultures.

cawatrooper9
02-17-2017, 05:08 PM
Depends on what we mean with "After Empire". If we're talking the proposed trilogy with Egypt, Greece, and Rome, then I'd say I'd want them to afterward to Pre-Columbus Mexico.

If we're talking just "Empire", then of course I'd prefer to move ahead with the trilogy. Got an itch for that classical era.

Sigma 1313
02-17-2017, 11:45 PM
I have to say, I'm a bit suprised that Moorish Occupation of the Iberian Peninsula is doing so well. I'm not surprised by India, since it's almost untouched by AC outside of the British Raj

Depends on what we mean with "After Empire". If we're talking the proposed trilogy with Egypt, Greece, and Rome, then I'd say I'd want them to afterward to Pre-Columbus Mexico.

If we're talking just "Empire", then of course I'd prefer to move ahead with the trilogy. Got an itch for that classical era.

I meant after the Possible Empire Trilogy of Egypt, Greece, and Rome.

BlueNoctisXIII
02-18-2017, 02:34 AM
I'm still on the fence about whether i like the idea of another trilogy, but on the bright side, it could solve the issue with character development and clear direction, which i feel have been lacking recently. On the topic at hand, i only want three settings, and one of them will never happen.

1. Japan, during Sengoku Period or Meiji Era.
2. Spain, 16th century onwards.
3. Venezuela, War for Independence (I can dream, right?, i want my country to at least be namedroped in a main game)

But at this point i will take anything they give us.

ERICATHERINE
02-18-2017, 06:55 AM
3. Venezuela, War for Independence (I can dream, right?, i want my country to at least be namedroped in a main game)

Truth is, it has been "at least namedroped" in 2 main games.

Here, in ac rogue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjdBXs-b5q4

And here in black flag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kyc5EawHrU

^-^

jellejackhammer
02-18-2017, 05:01 PM
eh setting is all fine by me aslong as it after the 1800's now.

however i would realy want some ESU era gameplay though. doesn't have to be long but maybe a sequence of around 4 missions would be awsome and would also be a great way to advance their storyline.

BlueNoctisXIII
02-19-2017, 12:59 AM
Truth is, it has been "at least namedroped" in 2 main games.

Here, in ac rogue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjdBXs-b5q4

And here in black flag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kyc5EawHrU

^-^

Sorry but i fail to see any mentions, and i should know, since i played ACIV BF Fleet Missions more than i wanted to.

About visiting the Isu era, i can't quite see it, and there's the issue about whether it's possible for the Animus to go that far, and the we need an actual leading character that we know is descended from them to relieve those memories.

ze_topazio
02-19-2017, 03:19 AM
Time to recover this old post of mine once again.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1362707-Future-Assassin-s-Creed-Games-Location-amp-Setting-Discussion?p=11488768#post11488768

I have this dream of a game set during the Portuguese arrival at India, the story could start with Vasco da Gama arrival at Calicut in 1498, later in 1500 Pedro álvares Cabral also arrived, failing to make a deal with the Calicut authorities after a confrontation with local Muslims traders, which according to the Brotherhood Mediterranean missions was a battle between Templars and Assassins, since Cabral was a Templar and he had the secret missions of getting rid of all Assassins, after bombarding the city he proceed to make a deal with the city of Cochin, later he return to Portugal and all the men he left behind were killed at some point, maybe by Assassins, Vasco da Gama later returned to Calicut where, just like Cabral, he end up resorting to brute force and committing all kinds of atrocities, Vasco da Gama was also a Templar and he too wanted to destroy the local Assassins, later, Francisco de Almeida, the first viceroy of Portuguese India arrived and during his tenure he got in all kinds of confrontations climaxing in the naval battle of Diu were he faced all the major naval forces in the area supported by the Ottoman empire, he won and expelled them all from the Indian ocean, after that he returned to Portugal but stopped in modern South Africa and end up getting killed by the locals after trying to steal some cows or whatever, later Afonso de Albuquerque became the second viceroy and proceed to defeat Calicut, conquer Ormuz, Diu, Goa, Malacca and establish contact with Persia, Thailand and China, among other things i don't remember right now, after that things proceeded more slowly so the story could end with Albuquerque death or maybe later with the return of Vasco da Gama and his death.

While not as well known as other world events, the Portuguese arrival at the east was a world changing event that started globalization and changed forever Europe and the world in general, advantages include the fact that, with the exception of Pedro Álvares Cabral, most Portuguese important historical figures like Vasco da Gama, Francisco de Almeida and his son, Afonso de Albuquerque and others not so well known died there, famous explorer Ferdinand Magellan was also around serving under Almeida and Albuquerque, if they want to include naval, the Assassin could steal a Portuguese Caravel or Nau(Carrack for English speaking people) and sail around the Indian ocean to travel between all this locations and fight the Portuguese, coincidently many Portuguese sailors unable to get rich by legal means resorted to piracy, so there would be lots of pirates around to have fun.

ERICATHERINE
02-19-2017, 07:36 AM
Sorry but i fail to see any mentions, and i should know, since i played ACIV BF Fleet Missions more than i wanted to.

Well, you can't read it in those 2 video, but as you can see by watching them, the Kenway fleet of black flag and the naval campagne of rogue take your ship to Venezuela. ^-^

Megas_Doux
02-20-2017, 02:46 AM
Ancient Babylon/sumer/Assyria is my ideal pick, but given how impossible that is I vote for China!!!!! India would be cool too.

UBOSOFT-Gamer
02-20-2017, 12:20 PM
17th Century Lowlands/Germany

LoyalACFan
02-20-2017, 02:35 PM
The Mediterranean would undoubtedly be way better for a VIking game, either focusing on the raids in Southern Italy, the Varangians or even King Sigurd's I "Crusade" (which was seemingly just an excuse to go on a random adventure to Jerusalem in order to get some random relics).

As someone who lives in Scandinavia I know what it's like here, it would suck for parkour and travel. The average Viking town would look like this:

http://i.imgur.com/MbuyGC3.jpg

And in Norse times we didn't have temples, we worshipped the Gods on random mounds:

http://i.imgur.com/mEEvvep.jpg

So in conclusion there would be very few towns, the towns themselves would have wide streets, short wooden buildings and no monumental architecture. This means the game would have to stick to nature...which aside from Fjords (which I don't think would be all that practical gameplay wise due to their size) would be extremely simlar to North America.

It would pretty much be AC3 all over again but with Viking clothes on.

TBH I wouldn't mind a quick break from parkour for one game. I mean, you'd still have the ability to use it, but it wouldn't be the dominant feature it's been in the past. I mean, think of AC4. Outside of Havana (which I didn't spend all that much time in anyway) there wasn't a ton of stuff to climb on, and I didn't really miss it.

Basically, give me The Witcher's Skellige map, but with stealth :p

marvelfannumber
02-20-2017, 09:49 PM
TBH I wouldn't mind a quick break from parkour for one game. I mean, you'd still have the ability to use it, but it wouldn't be the dominant feature it's been in the past. I mean, think of AC4. Outside of Havana (which I didn't spend all that much time in anyway) there wasn't a ton of stuff to climb on, and I didn't really miss it.

Basically, give me The Witcher's Skellige map, but with stealth :p

Well why would I not just play the Witcher instead then? I don't want Assassin's Creed to start being more like other games, because then it's just going to feel like a poor mans version of another game. They need to finally get the core mechanics JUST right (which so far they haven't completely) before scrapping it all and doing something weird.

Helforsite
02-21-2017, 09:00 PM
Quick question is Low Lands supposed to mean Netherlands or am I missing something?

Sigma 1313
02-22-2017, 01:44 PM
The Lowlands traditionally is the Northern European Plain. Really the "lowlands" are small areas along the coast of Netherlands, Germany, and Poland which are only about 5m above sea level, while the overall plain and "low countries" is much larger and includes much of Northern Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark, and Poland.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7f/Europe_landforms_-_North_European_Plain.svg/300px-Europe_landforms_-_North_European_Plain.svg.png

Helforsite
02-22-2017, 03:44 PM
The Lowlands traditionally is the Northern European Plain. Really the "lowlands" are small areas along the coast of Netherlands, Germany, and Poland which are only about 5m above sea level, while the overall plain and "low countries" is much larger and includes much of Northern Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark, and Poland.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7f/Europe_landforms_-_North_European_Plain.svg/300px-Europe_landforms_-_North_European_Plain.svg.png
Thanks for the explanation, now I am even more interested in the setting, not only because I am German myself, but also because I think the architecture in all theses areas would make for a very good parkour experience.

cawatrooper9
02-22-2017, 04:15 PM

Totally agreed. We're falling into a dangerous trap of AC= Big Citites.

That, traditionally, has not been the case.

In the first game, a large section of the map was the Kingdom. There wasn't a ton to do there, but I chalk that up to missed potential. ACII also had a ton of wilderness areas, as did ACB. Then, there's the American games...

To be honest, the only games that took place almost exclusively in big cities have been Revelations, Unity, and Syndicate.

I think that's a part of the charm of the series that a lot of people miss, by the way- you really cannot appreciate the big cities without having to traverse the sprawling countryside as well. Sure, the cities are flashier and more architecturally interesting (usually) but they each compliment the other. This, I think, is what ACIV did so well- we had cities, we had towns, we had small ports, we had jungles, plantations, swamps, and the open ocean. There was so much variety, and each area played nicely on the others. This is what AC needs- not another stale city.

Helforsite
02-22-2017, 04:27 PM

In the first game, a large section of the map was the Kingdom. There wasn't a ton to do there, but I chalk that up to missed potential. ACII also had a ton of wilderness areas, as did ACB. Then, there's the American games...

To be honest, the only games that took place almost exclusively in big cities have been Revelations, Unity, and Syndicate.

I think that's a part of the charm of the series that a lot of people miss, by the way- you really cannot appreciate the big cities without having to traverse the sprawling countryside as well. Sure, the cities are flashier and more architecturally interesting (usually) but they each compliment the other. This, I think, is what ACIV did so well- we had cities, we had towns, we had small ports, we had jungles, plantations, swamps, and the open ocean. There was so much variety, and each area played nicely on the others. This is what AC needs- not another stale city.
I totally agree on Assassin's Creed being not just about Big Cities! For me it is about exploration in general and in help of that pursuit about parkour and traversing the environment and I actually really loved the Frontier in AC3. I think one or two big cities with nature areas with a few towns and settlements in them would be be the perfect mix for AC.

ERICATHERINE
02-22-2017, 10:02 PM

That's without mentioning the fact that ac liberation hd have one big city (New Orleans), one swamp area (the bayou), and the 3 other maps are a mix between grottos and mayan ruins. ^-^

cawatrooper9
02-22-2017, 11:11 PM
That's without mentioning the fact that ac liberation hd have one big city (New Orleans), one swamp area (the bayou), and the 3 other maps are a mix between grottos and mayan ruins. ^-^

Very true.

In fact, I don't think Liberation gets nearly the credit it deserves. In my opinion, it has by far the most diverse setting of any AC game (outside of possibly Rogue, which I also believe is underappreciated). From snow new England, to soulful New Orleans, to the swampy bayou, even as far as watery caverns in Mexico, Liberation packs a tour de force into its short playtime. Not to mention the attempts that it made at revolutionizing gameplay. If it hadn't been a handheld game, I have no doubt that the Liberation project could have gotten more funding to expand and really go down as one of the greatest AC games of all time.

And yeah, Unity and Syndicate's Paris and London were both prettier, I guess. But given the choice, I'd always take the variety.

marvelfannumber
02-22-2017, 11:28 PM

Thing is, in Scandinavia there would be NO large cities. So your entire post is kind of a mute point.

Sigma 1313
02-23-2017, 02:32 AM
Thing is, in Scandinavia there would be NO large cities. So your entire post is kind of a mute point.

There might not be any large cities, but there were plenty of towns. While it wouldn't be as good for parkour, it's not like there would be no ability to climb buildings either. Your images often show part of a viking village setup from a museum in Stockholm. Other parts of it are below, which is much more city like. Furthermore, Stockholm, while not exiting by name, has been populated since 8000 BCE, and would be able to be a larger settlement. Many viking towns also had watch towers around the perimeter, which could act as view points. Besides them, taking over settlements could unlock the map like in AC4 and Rogue. Thatch roofs could still have some parkour on the middle, where the cross beams are too (a bit like Unity due to the steepness of the roof). Like I said, not as good as other places, but possible. Also, if the game extends the map throughout the Baltic, North Sea, and Norwegian, it gives the designers the ability to include the western British Isles and Coastal Lowlands, which could sport larger cities.

https://inventerare.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/sthlm-medeltidsmuseum-13.jpg

http://assets.atlasobscura.com/media/W1siZiIsInVwbG9hZHMvcGxhY2VfaW1hZ2VzLzBiM2EyZDIyNz k4MzM1YjUxNV9WaWtpbmcgMy5qcGciXSxbInAiLCJ0aHVtYiIs IngzOTA-Il0sWyJwIiwiY29udmVydCIsIi1xdWFsaXR5IDkxIC1hdXRvLW 9yaWVudCJdXQ

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/be/cd/be/becdbe61eaa6aecd066a697cbef57715.jpg

http://www.aviewoncities.com/img/stockholm/kvesv1584s.jpg

NOTE:

The first image is Medieval Stockholm, while I could not find a date, Stocholm was officially founder in the mid 12th century, so this was likely 13th-14th century Stockholm.

reyrod01
02-23-2017, 08:49 AM
Egypt sounds cool, but I love to have an AC game set during Feudal Japan. I love the samurai culture, so a samurai Assassin would look awesome. However, I do have a concern,which is the size of the location. Japan's not really that big, with Tokyo being the biggest city, so they'll have to make a large wilderness area, like in AC III.

cawatrooper9
02-24-2017, 04:27 PM

No it's not.

First of all, I wasn't advocating for the Scandanavian idea that's been floating around. Nowhere did I mention that in my post. So, already, I'm afraid it's your post that is "moot".

But, to entertain the idea- would a Scandanavian game be all that different than ACIII? New York and Boston were relatively small cities. I ask this genuinely, as I don't know all that much about Scandanavia during this period of time- but, I have a hard time believing they were that much smaller than the American cities we saw.

Helforsite
02-24-2017, 05:55 PM
I was just reminded of the Hanseatic League during my research on 11th century Scandinavia and man would they make a great multicentannial-storyline for a set(trilogy maybe) of games set in 12-16th century Europe, because they just sound so much like a Templar organization and just plain insteresting!

marvelfannumber
02-24-2017, 08:28 PM
But, to entertain the idea- would a Scandanavian game be all that different than ACIII? New York and Boston were relatively small cities. I ask this genuinely, as I don't know all that much about Scandanavia during this period of time- but, I have a hard time believing they were that much smaller than the American cities we saw.
The "cities" would be smaller, shorter and tend to have more space between buildings. Buildings would almost never exceed one floor and would be made of wood. In the pre-Christian era (which most people seem to want for some reason) you'd also not really find any interesting landmarks. Vikings did not worship in Temples, they worshipped on mounds. So then they would need to focus on nature, but as I said, with the exception of Fjords which are so big they'd be pretty impractical gameplay wise it would be almost a complete rehash of AC3. Norway and Sweden don't look all to different from the American East Coast in terms of nature.

So in short it would be like AC3 but far worse.

marvelfannumber
02-24-2017, 08:30 PM
The first image is Medieval Stockholm, while I could not find a date, Stocholm was officially founder in the mid 12th century, so this was likely 13th-14th century Stockholm.
Most of those pictures prove my point, short buildings, wide streets and no monumental architecture. Considering the model of Stockholm has a massive Cathedral it's definetely like you said around the 13th-14th Century which would be way past the Viking era, at that point you'd be in the Medieval era which I conceed would be a bit better, but not by that much I think.

Even then, Stockholm in that period looks smaller than Havana so it would definetly not be enough to sell the game or to justify parkour.

There's a billion Medieval-ish games set in rural areas, I don't need to see AC do it too.

cawatrooper9
02-24-2017, 08:53 PM
I'd say that it doesn't particularly strike me as the best potential setting for AC, but many of us would have said the same thing about the Caribbean in 2011, too. I think a Scandanavian game almost requires a new and improved sailing system, and perhaps access to some larger southern cities. That, or maybe Ubisoft could find a way to make the setting more compelling in this type of game.

marvelfannumber
02-24-2017, 09:01 PM
I think a Scandanavian game almost requires a new and improved sailing system, and perhaps access to some larger southern cities.
Funny you mention that because Viking naval warfare wouldn't contain cannons, svivels or anything of the sort. The primary method of attack would be ramming and the ships would be painfully slow in comparison unless they change the speed for gameplay purposes.

So even if they go the naval route, the naval combat would have to be downgraded, would have it's variety stripped and would feel incredibly boring in comparison.

It just won't work. The only way I can see a Viking game working is, as said they either have it take place during Viking raid in mainland Europe/Britain or tackle the Varangians in some fashion.

cawatrooper9
02-24-2017, 10:02 PM
Funny you mention that because Viking naval warfare wouldn't contain cannons, svivels or anything of the sort. The primary method of attack would be ramming and the ships would be painfully slow in comparison unless they change the speed for gameplay purposes.

So even if they go the naval route, the naval combat would have to be downgraded, would have it's variety stripped and would feel incredibly boring in comparison.

It just won't work. The only way I can see a Viking game working is, as said they either have it take place during Viking raid in mainland Europe/Britain or tackle the Varangians in some fashion.

Right, exactly why I said it would have to be changed. And in general, I don't think that taking away canons is going to ruin a naval game. Ramming, outmaneuvering, volleys of arrows- this can all still be fun. Perhaps we could even get some improved ship to ship parkour, or the ability to have your first mate take the help while you try to board the enemy vessel.

I guess I'm just generally not a fan of being completely closed off to an idea. Maybe it could work, given the chance. We cannot say for certain.

UBOSOFT-Gamer
02-26-2017, 09:25 PM
i guess we see feudal japan soon. everytime people vote for feudal japan and want it,

Namikaze_17
02-27-2017, 04:32 AM
In a perfect world, it would be a multitude of settings — but that's for another thread, I suppose.

Nothing really that I desire deeply right now, though.

ze_topazio
02-28-2017, 02:28 AM
You know I wouldn't mind a Roman Empire setting with the Roman version of all the cities we have had so far in the series.

Couldn't find any decent picture of Damascus, Acre (Ptolemais), San Gimignano, Forli (Forum Livii)

Jerusalem
http://jeanclaudegolvin.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/israel-jerusalem-herode.jpg

Florence (Florentia)

http://eaglesanddragonspublishing.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/artist-impression-of-Roman-Florentia.jpg
http://www.tuscanfeeling.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/1024px-Museo_Firenze_comera_plastico_Florentia_1.jpg

Rome

http://i.imgur.com/KFYdinP.jpg
http://www.viralspell.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/r-12.jpg

Istanbul (Constantinople/Byzantium)

these pictures are actually from the Byzantine Empire period but whatever
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/f0/59/c3/f059c3d1d00cc4e630262a4af37e0195.jpg
http://jeanclaudegolvin.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/greco-romain-constantinople-vue-generale-1.jpg

Paris (Lutetia also known as Millennium Falcon)

http://jeanclaudegolvin.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/gaule-lutetia-lutece-vue-generale.jpg

London (Londinium)

http://www.selectstone.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Roman-Londinium.jpg

New York (Novus Eboracum)

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-G9c6TFe8wN8/UHMCRjN3COI/AAAAAAAAGV8/1e3DVOwkJIw/s1600/Manhattan-Before-Development.jpg

Namikaze_17
02-28-2017, 07:18 AM
^ Pssh, forget the other ones. NY is money. I mean, look at all the green to see my point. :p

Sigma 1313
03-05-2017, 12:16 AM
SO I guess a better question now isn't where we want the series to go after the Empire trilogy, but where we think it will go. I still think that Ubi will go with Feudal Japan soon due to the amount of outcry for it. Might be interesting to see a WW2 timerift too, that way we can keep seeing more of story through WW1 and 2, but without sacrificing an entire game to it, since it would be a bit marred by the gameplay.

Side Note: A unity timerift could work really well in Hiroshima or Nagasaki during the atomic bombing, which would be controversial and powerful to see in a game

Namikaze_17
03-05-2017, 03:41 AM
Well, if we're being realistic:

Feudal Japan (Or any period)
Viking Era (Any Period)
India (Any period)
American Civil War

At least, these are the ones that have been mentioned and/or referenced in recent games to my knowledge.

Helforsite
03-05-2017, 08:45 AM
I have also come to like Feudal Japan and not only because I think playing a female Assassin would make sense... who am I kidding I think a female Assassin would make sense in any setting, because the societies in almost all historical settings would never suspect a woman to be an Assassin, which could also open up interesting possibilities for social stealth.

PS.: Would love to see pre-16th century Germany(/Europe), for example the life and death of Charlemagne and how Assassins and Templars were connected to him.

Crucify Lucifer
03-09-2017, 05:50 PM
Assassin's Creed has to go to Japan at least once. I'm not buying the whole "there's too many ninja games" excuse. I can't possibly appraise Onimusha or Tenchu as the best that that setting has to offer. Feudal Japan has yet to see the likes of a masterful open world game that can capture its full potential.

On the other hand, Akkadian Babylon sounds really intriguing as well. I prefer Assassin's Creed's pioneering of obscure, less explored settings in gaming. Personally I'd love to see a trend of ancient time periods for a while as well. Just please, not another 15th-19th century European setting. We've had enough for the decade.

XZAROX
03-11-2017, 02:02 PM
I wanna dump animus in the bin and go fight Abstergo. Yeah, that's right.

m4r-k7
03-11-2017, 06:20 PM
I honestly don't see them doing Japan as if I remember correctly, the guy who leaked Empire said that Ubisoft don't want to do it as it would require a complete overhaul of the engine. Maybe on a future generation of console, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. In fact, if they do an Ancient Trilogy, I have no idea what they would do next, which is quite exciting :)

warriorknight2
09-05-2017, 01:10 AM
#1 Pick Old West USA
The fight against the Templars trying to control of the railroads and the new territories. The weapons and plots would have evolved while still giving us plenty of reason to use old skills. The big city could be San Francisco with missions taking us to mines, pony express locations and railroads being constructed.
#2 Pick 1980s Central America
The drug war with the Templar plot to use drugs to rule people and the Assassins working against them and both being tied to shadowy US government organizations. Different pieces of eden being found in the ruins in Central America. Setting the stage for the modern conflict that we have seen a little but has still remained murky.