PDA

View Full Version : Minor Bug: Compiler changes?

XyZspineZyX
11-12-2003, 04:14 PM
I got another mobo last night and formated/reinstalled. Everything ran fine with with default install (default XP, default drivers from disks, default FB).

After upgrading to 1.11, I get a crash to desktop after a few minutes of play. The app dies completely and cleanly, but I have to reboot to play again due to the game being unable to find the map files (file locking?).

I tried the RC but found similar results.

I tracked the problem down to agressive RAM timings, but I am curious as to what changed after the 1.11 patch.

Just to make things fair, I did update XP and all my drivers, but the problem persists for as long as my RAM timings are advanced. It does not show itself in the boxed version of the game.

I have no problems using SPD for RAM timings (besides the performance lost), but just wanted to mention that something in 1.11 and latter is a bit screwy.

<font face="Courier New">

_____ | _____
_\__(o)__/_
./ \.

</font>

XyZspineZyX
11-12-2003, 04:14 PM
I got another mobo last night and formated/reinstalled. Everything ran fine with with default install (default XP, default drivers from disks, default FB).

After upgrading to 1.11, I get a crash to desktop after a few minutes of play. The app dies completely and cleanly, but I have to reboot to play again due to the game being unable to find the map files (file locking?).

I tried the RC but found similar results.

I tracked the problem down to agressive RAM timings, but I am curious as to what changed after the 1.11 patch.

Just to make things fair, I did update XP and all my drivers, but the problem persists for as long as my RAM timings are advanced. It does not show itself in the boxed version of the game.

I have no problems using SPD for RAM timings (besides the performance lost), but just wanted to mention that something in 1.11 and latter is a bit screwy.

_____ | _____
_\__(o)__/_
./ \.

</font>

XyZspineZyX
11-12-2003, 04:16 PM
One last thing: I did not test it with 1.1b, only the release candidate.

Thanks!

_____ | _____
_\__(o)__/_
./ \.

</font>

XyZspineZyX
11-12-2003, 05:44 PM
I'd be suprised if anything had been changed in 1.2rc that would upset the RAM timings. My MOBO is v.sensitive to tweaking stuff like this and i'd blame the hardware first.

How long did you play with 1.0 fresh install before upping it to 1.2rc ? Was it an aggresive test or just a bedding-in-to-see-if-FB-works (tm) ?

Lixma,

Blitzpig.

Message Edited on 11/12/0305:45PM by Lixma

XyZspineZyX
11-12-2003, 09:33 PM
Lixma wrote:
- I'd be suprised if anything had been changed in
- 1.2rc that would upset the RAM timings. My MOBO is
- v.sensitive to tweaking stuff like this and i'd
- blame the hardware first.
-
- How long did you play with 1.0 fresh install before
- upping it to 1.2rc ? Was it an aggresive test or
- just a bedding-in-to-see-if-FB-works (tm) ?
-
-
-
- Lixma,
-
- Blitzpig.
-
-

I slipped through several missions in 1.0. I'd say it was about an hour and a half of play with no problems.

You are probably right: it probably is hardware related, but I thought it deserved mention since some are complaining about micro-stutters/ contention.

_____ | _____
_\__(o)__/_
./ \.

</font>