PDA

View Full Version : One of the best ways to fix the high-level defensive play problem IMO.

Skulled101
02-14-2017, 02:44 PM
Firstly, make the feint stamina cost a bit lower.

Second, make feints have three stages: Early Stage, Mid Stage, and Later Stage.

Early Stage: You can cancel an attack at the earliest stage of the wind-up animation and the attack indicator could glow red and allow fluidity (an animation cancel if timed properly). You can be guard broken during this stage and it is uninterruptible.

Mid Stage: You can feint the middle of the heavy attack animation. The attack indicator will glow red and a slight white blink will occur while still allowing fluidity (but not as much as the Early Stage). You cannot be guard broken during this stage.

Later Stage: You can feint the near-end of your attack animation. The attack indicator will glow red and blink white (like a full animated heavy attack hitting you) and since the risk of this is pretty high after the Later Stage's feint your next attack becomes empowered (Your heavy attack and light attack will be empowered but no indicator will be shown. The heavy attack will be slightly increased in damage and the speed of the heavy increased but still can be blocked fairly well but more difficult. The Light Attack will do the same damage but become almost unblockable because of how fast the speed of the attack is and the only way to react to the empowered light attack is if you predict it and take a risk. You cannot be guard broken during this stage. (Maybe it could also empower your guard break somehow as well?)

Finally, I believe this will allow people to make use of their game time through practice, experience, timing, and reaction; while getting rid of the boring "never-attack-always-tie" meta and encourage blow exchanges.

I probably have overlooked somethings here in this post and I apologize if I have made some mistakes or some flaws in my idea but things always get improved over time and I encourage your feedback; maybe some other areas of the game can also be improved but I think this is a good start.

Edit: Make feints work with your chain attacks to actually make your chains viable?

Velkamit
02-14-2017, 02:59 PM
I agree with fients costing less stamina.

I think if you could just fient light attacks you'd solve the issue. However you'd have to tone down the speed of some of the faster characters light attacks if you did that.

SwagsAMadNerd
02-14-2017, 03:29 PM
very swell practice in theory.

Saeryf
02-15-2017, 01:00 AM
I agree with fients costing less stamina.

I think if you could just fient light attacks you'd solve the issue. However you'd have to tone down the speed of some of the faster characters light attacks if you did that.

Maybe have the feint follow-up attack be slower by default. I don't know, spit-balling here.

Eji1700
02-15-2017, 01:16 AM
At the very least you need to remove the parry option select. and I think you can do that, and make feints stronger, by just moving the feint window to be several frames later.

This means that even if you OS a parry, you won't be able to feint as fast and should still eat a light at the very least, and it also means you won't be able to as easily to wait out/react to feints, because they'll happen late enough you risk just eating the block instead of getting the parry.