PDA

View Full Version : Great scott captain, it runs on Linux!

JG77Hawk_9
04-08-2004, 12:51 AM
Oleg, I am very happy to anounce my findings of running Il2 FB AEP on Linux. It works and seems to work very well under WineX 3.3

Sound seems better under Linux than ironically Windows but then I know my sound card has better support and is more stable under Linux. Looking to configuring my Joystick this evening but on my Arch Linux installation running Gnome 2.6 and the 2.6.4 kernel FB runs in both Full Screen mode and Windowed mode.

I'm a very happy camper at the moment and it didn't take much to get it running with Transgamings Point2Play but I did have to copy the files from FB's 2 disks into a local folder to get around the installer 2 disk issue under WineX

Now I can enjoy my fav flightsim and only flightsim under my platform of choice. Now onto getting Hyperlobby to run (-:

JG77Hawk_9
04-08-2004, 12:51 AM
Oleg, I am very happy to anounce my findings of running Il2 FB AEP on Linux. It works and seems to work very well under WineX 3.3

Sound seems better under Linux than ironically Windows but then I know my sound card has better support and is more stable under Linux. Looking to configuring my Joystick this evening but on my Arch Linux installation running Gnome 2.6 and the 2.6.4 kernel FB runs in both Full Screen mode and Windowed mode.

I'm a very happy camper at the moment and it didn't take much to get it running with Transgamings Point2Play but I did have to copy the files from FB's 2 disks into a local folder to get around the installer 2 disk issue under WineX

Now I can enjoy my fav flightsim and only flightsim under my platform of choice. Now onto getting Hyperlobby to run (-:

TheGozr
04-08-2004, 01:56 AM
Great news ok files ready to download or a how to read me file http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

-GOZR
http://www.french.themotorhead.com/themotorhead_fighters/images/pix/il2fbtmhlogosmall.jpg <--Competition Level IL2fb here (http://www.french.themotorhead.com/forgotten-battles/)

HellToupee
04-08-2004, 01:57 AM
dose your joystick work? my joystick dosnt work in it under winex, andi have a few sound issues, tho they are easly fixed just an annoyance.

http://lamppost.mine.nu/ahclan/files/sigs/spitwhiners1.jpg

Aaron_GT
04-08-2004, 08:30 AM
Have you tried it under the 2.4.x kernel too?

I can get it to install, but I have to copy
all the installation files to hard drive to
be able to install without changing CDs. Is
there a workaround with winex? When I do install
it is doesn't actually run.

Mind you, having just installed an ATI card
I am not 100% sure if the ATI drivers will
work with WineX.

malakeen
04-08-2004, 04:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JG77Hawk_9:
Oleg, I am very happy to anounce my findings of running Il2 FB AEP on Linux. It works and seems to work very well under WineX 3.3<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Youre joking, right? I've tried it with WineX3.3-CVS - without success. You got the Winex-binary, i guess?

Anyway - youre the second guy who seems to have Sturmovik running on WineX. The other guy was on Transgamings Il2-Board.It would be so great to play Sturmovik without a prior reboot. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by malakeen on Thu April 08 2004 at 04:01 PM.]

JG77Hawk_9
04-08-2004, 08:31 PM
Ok, haven't tried it with 2.4.x series kernel and not bothering with it as the 2.6.x series kernel works well with me.

I am using the 3.3 binary. I installed the Point2Play lite and downloaded the binary through that. All configuration was done through Point2Play. Il2 FB see's my joystick but I don't get any response through it. The Saitek X45 is recognised and works under Linux but using jstest I am buggered if I can workout the letter values corresponding to the axis. jstest only gives numerical values which is a pain. Point2Play needs better controller support and setup capabilities and this is what's holding Linux back although there has been some alternative development which I'll post about when I re-stumble accross the site, was a space sim with the guy writing his own joystick interface/calibration UI in GTK.

I also hae it running without the CD with the alternative rts.dll you can find out there which is a bonus. If I can't get the joystick recognised (will try to findout axis mappings and then manually edit FB's config.ini file to see what happens) then I'll try joy2key which maps joysick functions to corresponding keyboard inputs. Last ditch effort.

Would be great to have Oleg and co work a little with Transgaming and Wine to get better support and help with multi platform functionality. After-all, Wine and WineX is not just for Linux but for other platforms and it would be great to have FB running on OS's of choice.

crazyivan1970
04-08-2004, 09:26 PM
This is fascinating. Why don`t you drop Oleg e-mail on il2beta@1c.ru

V!
Regards,

http://blitzpigs.com/forum/images/smiles/smokin.gif

VFC*Crazyivan aka VFC*HOST

http://www.rmutt.netfirms.com/coop-ivan.jpg

http://www.rmutt.netfirms.com/vfc/home.htm

Kozhedub: In combat potential, the Yak-3, La-7 and La-9 fighters were indisputably superior to the Bf-109s and Fw-190s. But, as they say, no matter how good the violin may be, much depends on the violinist. I always felt respect for an enemy pilot whose plane I failed to down.

ROSHKO_69.GIAP
04-09-2004, 06:28 AM
How are the framerates compared to windoze ?

C!

Roshko

http://www.baseclass.modulweb.dk/69giap/fileadmin/Image_Archive/badges/69giap_badge_roshko.jpg (http://giap.webhop.info)

269GA-Maxmars
04-09-2004, 07:38 AM
The original IL-2 ran well under WineX.. Joystick and all, at least since SuSE 8.2 (using 9.0 currently).

I didn't try with FB, also because you don't have all the accessories in Linux (Cam2Pan, mostly, but also running the plethora of little utilities like il2compare, il2manager, UQMG etc).

Basically my Windows XP Home partition is a FBOS (Forgotten Battles Operating System).

JG77Hawk_9
04-10-2004, 04:13 AM
After further testing my conclusions are as follows.

Yes FB AEP works on Linux but

1. Frame rates vary from on ground (slow) to in air (quite good). Air starts seem the easiest on frame rates.

2. There are issues with X-Server and screen resolutions. One has to manually setup the resolutions by changing the X-Server desktop to what you want to play FB in and not allowing FB to auto resize the screen to the resolution you have chosen in FB Setup. Running in a window on X works well though.

3. Joystick problems. I can't for the life of me get my Saitek working under Wine-X. This is a problem on their side as the joystick configuration interfaces for Wine-X are pathetic although there are some remedies like KDE Joystick Pannel and there is a Joystick Wrapper with a GTK pannel interface which I have installed and tested with the X-45 and works well recognising it and calibrating it. Unfortunately the Joystick wrapper does not deal with Wine-X.

I would be great to have a decent sim working on Linux like FB but at the moment it ain't happening for me as keyboard input for flight control really sucks. I will send off an eamil to Oleg and see what reply I get but it would be great to have him working with TransGaming or even better supply a Linux native binary for FB that we can use. Others do like UT2004 and Id Software so it isn't too much to do and most of the bits are in place. No need to change the data.

Anyway, for the short-term it looks like I will have to install a ruddy Windows partition again. Hate the software and I really have been enjoying the fact that Linux has not once given me any stability issues. It is rock solid where as Windows XP on my system bombs like no tomorrow and is not my hardware that's the problem. I hate running such unstable and poorly written software. )-:

JG77Hawk_9
04-10-2004, 04:29 AM
Just following up. I have sent off an emai to Oleg and I have pointed out how nice it would be to have a Linux Native version of FB likened to that of Unreal Tounament 2004 but if not that then at least some help given over to TransGaming so they can get the best out of running FB AEP under Wine-X.

I implore anyone interested in having this great title running on well on a stable Operating Platform to do the same. We need to be heard and I know that Linux native game versions have no problems with controller recognition.

Anyway, food for thought.

ROSHKO_69.GIAP
04-10-2004, 06:52 AM
Maxmars - if you can run FB under wineX - why couldn't you run Il2compare/Ueberquick etc... ?

Seems to me that those are exactly the small kind of apps that wineX would have little or no problems with !

Hawk: Instead of us bombing Oleg with emails (I think it's great you sent one) - we should make a petition thread. That would disclose if there IS any substantial interest in FB/BoB for Linux.

C!

Roshko

http://www.baseclass.modulweb.dk/69giap/fileadmin/Image_Archive/badges/69giap_badge_roshko.jpg (http://giap.webhop.info)

UncleVanya2001
04-10-2004, 06:21 PM
Obviously, then, Linux is SO superior to windows! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/59.gif

That's what I love the most about the Mac/Linux people: they ***** about windows incessantly...then gotta go out and get a WINDOWS EMULATOR!!! Hahahahahaha Jokes on you!

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/34.gif

Then ***** because their Mac or Linux can't keep up. Nyuck nyuck nyuck.

UV

Aaron_GT
04-12-2004, 12:45 PM
Thanks for that.

I'll have to try the alternative rts.dll - that
might be what I need to get things to run under
Linux.

Saying this, I can't get my new ATI card to give
me OpenGL hardware acceleration at the moment,
so all bets are off until then!

I suspect a native Linux FB isn't going to be
an option. What might be interesting is getting
Oleg to look at BoB as a multi-OS game,
especially if it might be popular in China where
Linux is very prevalent. This would mean things
like OpenGL, SDL, Java (or Qt or Gtk, which
can both run on Windows) for the loading and
config screens, etc. The biggest issue is going
to be the threads and sockets code. Decent
compatibility layers exist for the latter, but
not so much the latter as far as I know. (Win32
is possibly slight better in terms of its
threads API). To make development easier you'd
want to be able to use a single compatibility
layer for all OSes.

Aaron_GT
04-12-2004, 12:48 PM
"Then ***** because their Mac or Linux can't keep up. Nyuck nyuck nyuck."

Wine is NOT an emulator (Wine stands for WINE is not an emulator!). It is a compatibilty later
required due to lack of games being produced for
Linux. Since Wine is not emulation, it shouldn't
impact particularly on performance. In fact of
the three flight sims I have got to run in Linux
successfully (Aces High, Targetware, XPlane)
frame rates were better with Linux and Wine
than in Windows by 10 to 20 per cent!

Aaron_GT
04-12-2004, 12:49 PM
That should read "compatibility layer"

the_DAU_man
04-12-2004, 02:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by UncleVanya2001:

That's what I love the most about the Mac/Linux people: they ***** about windows incessantly...then gotta go out and get a WINDOWS EMULATOR!!! Hahahahahaha Jokes on you!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Il2 Sturmovik / FB is designed for MS Windows. ONLY MS Windows - if it fails to work on Non-Windows-OS, it has nothing to do with the quality of them. No one would blame a Playstation for not being able to use Nintendo N64 cartridges.

JG77Hawk_9
04-12-2004, 07:11 PM
Glad to see someone clarified Wine for me. Sad to say but the underlying OS that FB has been written for is plagued with problems. On Linux under Wine-X I have not yet had the game Freeze My System like it has both under Windows 2000 and Windows XP. If there has been a problem which usually was to do with FB resizing the X-Server under Wine-X then I just restart the GUI with a Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and relog into my GUI desktop. With Windows I had to shutdown the system and reboot.

I got a reply from Oleg and although he and his programmers like Linux they feel there isn't enough hardware support available for it to be worth while porting to Linux. Obviously he has a point to some extent but for the most of us here using ATI and Nvidia cards for 3D then it isn't too much of a problem (Nvidia having it over ATI though). Sound support is also very good (better than Windows for my hardware) and Open AL would not be too hard to convert the Direct Sound routines to. The only thing would be for controllers but utilising Joystick Wrapper Library at

http://wolfpack.twu.net/libjsw

would solve that and I have tested it with my Saitek X45 and it see's it and calibrates it well with a reasonable GUI.

Open GL is supported well on Linux and if Olegs stipulates Kernel 2.6 onwards with XFree86 4.3 onwards then support issues could be contained.
Not much for him to do although he seems condecending about UT2004 and the upcoming Doom3 saying how much more complicated FB is but I'm sure he isn't privy to their code so he shouldn't comment. Anyway, I will reply to him but who knows.

Aaron_GT
04-13-2004, 01:40 AM
FB likely has more CPU demands than UT2004, etc.
So I can see Oleg's point on this. This would
make the 2.6 kernel a better fit than 2.4 due
to the 2.6 kernel's better scheduling
algorithms.

With compatibility layers (assuming no great
performance hit) a variety of OSes could be
targeted. It might also insulate against changes
in Windows. However it does require additional
primary testing, and maybe this is where Oleg's
team might get too stretched?

Using compatibility libraries would allow the
code to be easily retargeted at Linux, or MacOS
X with minimal writing effort. It could be done
so as a free extra without warranty.

I don't think Oleg needs to worry too much
about hardware compatibility, as Linux should
handle this, not Oleg. I suppose there is the
worry that it might generate bug reports that
are really bugs in Linux, though. The driver
models in 2.6, plus the ability soon to run
Windows drivers should reduce that. Like I said,
if offered as a Linux version without warranty
or support, Oleg could test the waters at least.

Linux versions could offer some interesting
opportunities, especially at the dedicated
server end, by easily linking in with IBM's
Grid and gaming work. I.e. the option of a
persistent world with load balanced servers.
It would need additional code in a dedicated
server of course.

Aaron_GT
04-13-2004, 01:43 AM
One other difficult point for Oleg might
be licensing issues. If he needed to use
GPL code he'd have to be careful. Using
GPL code in a closed application if it is
linked in as a library is fine - you just
need to give the URLs to download the libraries.
However if Oleg needed to modify the code
to get it to do what was required he'd need
to be careful that the library remained
self contained so he could then simply
release the modified library, not the whole
of the sim! It should be a soluble issue,
though.

JG77Hawk_9
04-13-2004, 03:16 AM
Code issues with GPL shouldn't be a problem though. Afterall Nvidia has released very good drivers which maintain closed source licensing protecting their intellectual property. With problems like controller setup under linux I'm sure any code cleaning based on already existing GPL code (be it for the Joystick Warpper Library) would only extend to the controller itself. Not sure. Anyway, some co-operation with Transgaming www.transgaming.com (http://www.transgaming.com) to help them sort out FB under Wine-X would be enough.

We need to prod to offer alternatives to people. Ah well here's to trying. looks like I'm gonna have to give up FB for the short term untill things get sorted because I'm totally not going back to Windows. Life's to shart to waste time stuffing around trying to keep your computer going. I erad on a discussion one guy who stated they had a Linux crash in 1999 due to a mis configured Raid Controller. Gee, I can't even count the amount of Windows Crashes I've had during and since 1999. Not to mention, re-installs and the like. No more! :-I

Aaron_GT
04-13-2004, 05:39 AM
With the GPL it is just a case of keeping
any GPL stuff in separate modules so you can
cleanly release that code if you make any
modifications. Not hard - just helps to
plan for the possibility rather than import
chunks of GPL code willy-nilly.

Aaron_GT
04-13-2004, 05:44 AM
For FB coperating with transgaming would be
good, but ultimately, for BoB, you'd want a
clean implementation based on more robust tools
rather than relying on WineX. WineX is good,
but it is still very dependent on what
Microsoft does with the the Windows API, and
transgaming's ability to reverse engineer
DirectX. I think there is more mileage, long
term, in using a compatibility layer that
interfaces more directly with the hardware.
Of course that is still subject to changes
in the Windows API, ultimately, but it might
insulate a bit more from DirectX changes.

OpenGL is the natural choice for graphics,
OpenAL, SDL, etc., for other things, etc.

If these projects also remain well maintained,
then it insulates you against changes in any
OS.

However... if you expect 99% of the code to
be run on Windows, then relying on DirectX
itself, rather than a 3rd party compatibility
layer that replicates some of it (e.g. sound)
might seem safer. Relying on DirectX for sound
puts Oleg in the hands of Microsoft, but being
in the hands of the interaction between
Microsoft and 3rd party developers might be
more risky, perhaps?

NerdConnected
11-04-2004, 04:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JG77Hawk_9:

Now I can enjoy my fav flightsim and only flightsim under my platform of choice. Now onto getting Hyperlobby to run (-: <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know it's been some time now since you messed around with il2fb and Linux, but can you please tell me how you did this because whatever I try I get an jvm.dll exception. I'm trying with the demo cedega 4.0.1

Error:

#
# HotSpot Virtual Machine Error, Internal Error
# Please report this error at
# http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi
#
wine: Unhandled exception, starting debugger...
Warning: Language 'WE8ISO8859-1' was not recognized, defaulting to English
WineDbg starting on pid 1
No debug information in ELF '/usr/lib/transgaming_cedega_timedemo/winex/bin/wine
' (0x00000000)
Breakpoint 1 at 0x4000cfc0
No debug information in ELF '/usr/lib/transgaming_cedega_timedemo/winex/pthread_
lib/libntdll.so' (0x40017000)
No debug information in ELF '/usr/lib/transgaming_cedega_timedemo/winex/pthread_
lib/libwine.so' (0x4011a000)
No debug information in ELF '/usr/lib/transgaming_cedega_timedemo/winex/lib/libw
ine_unicode.so' (0x4012f000)
No debug information in ELF '/usr/lib/transgaming_cedega_timedemo/winex/lib/libw
ine_port.so' (0x401f6000)
No debug information in ELF '/lib/i686/libm.so.6' (0x40200000)
No debug information in ELF '/lib/i686/libc.so.6' (0x40223000)
No debug information in ELF '/lib/i686/libpthread.so.0' (0x4035c000)
No debug information in ELF '/lib/libdl.so.2' (0x403ac000)
No debug information in ELF '/lib/ld-linux.so.2' (0x40000000)

I curious if you got this error also.. If not, I wonder why.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

noshens
11-04-2004, 08:52 PM
so did fps increase or anything like that?

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
11-05-2004, 02:41 AM
Hmm interesting stuff I think I may have a crack at this one at the weekend as I haven't played around with linux in a while and this is a good enough excuse.

did you query Oleg on the chance's of a linux version of the FB dedicated server? That in itself would be at least a small step in the right direction.Of course then we would need hyper lobby working on linux to for those that didn't want to use ASE.

Thanks for the update

borchi
11-05-2004, 08:28 AM
anyone got the hyperlobby to work on linux?

i tried usind wine, but it hangs on loading the lobby.

any tips?