PDA

View Full Version : AC Identity - What an Awful Experience

Bipolar Matt
02-13-2017, 11:13 PM
I finally got around to playing AC Identity on my IPad. It's $5, plus another $2 if you want to pay for the Forli missions. I did not buy any boosts or in-game purchases or packs.

Don't waste your money.

I am an Assassin's Creed fanboy...so when I come out and rail against something Assassin's Creed...you know it's bad.

Let me say that I do get what they were trying to do in a couple different ways here. I understand the game will necessarily be a stripped down experience played on a touch screen and will not be as full featured as a console AC experience. I also understand that the game was meant to foster in-app purchases.

For starters, the game consists of 10 base missions, plus another 4 if you buy the Forli pack. The rest of the game is playing a series of the same rotating contract missions over and over. And over. And over. And over. And over again.

The controls are wonky. Nice idea in theory, not so great in execution. Movement is often not fluid and you find yourself having to orient yourself directionally sometimes...at other times you want to move and you can't. This is a real problem in the absolutely abysmal parkour contract missions. Again, great idea, dreadful implementation. Races with extremely finicky touch controls just doesn't work on that platform.

It seems that some of the mission constraints were dreamt up by someone who doesn't understand what AC is all about. "Do not kill with hidden blades.' Ummm...what? What have the past 9 main console entries had in common? How about the iconic weapon of every assassin, for starter? This is silly enough...and then to initiate combat in other ways when anonymous is a chore...it doesn't make for very fun gameplay.

Combat in the Ezio games was ridiculously easy. They went the other direction in Identity; as you get higher up in levels, one-hit kills by guards are possible. Often times two is all it takes. The positioning of the skill wheel and the combat and flee buttons are too close that you can easily mash the wrong one and make life difficult for yourself. This is where designed frustration is meant to kick in and you'll break down and buy some in-app boosts or other microtransitions to make the game bearable.

I really, really wanted to like this title more than I did. Sadly...you're better off passing on it.

D.I.D.
02-14-2017, 03:24 AM
Perhaps it's better with a bluetooth gamepad?

I don't play any games unless they're not input-dependent (Reigns, etc). I have my eye on some others, but GTA:SA taught me never to expect touchscreen controls to work.