PDA

View Full Version : UPlay seems to confirm release time and date

PPLB
02-13-2017, 07:10 PM
https://s12.postimg.org/oau8eh2a5/date_time_confirm.png

So to be ahead of a few messages:

Servers going up doesn't mean the game is playable for everyone. Servers going up means that -if- it's 14 february where you live, you can start playing the game.

OGL Spade
02-13-2017, 07:14 PM
Does this mean that people that pre-loaded on consoles get to play today at 3PM EST? While people on PC have to wait till midnight?

PPLB
02-13-2017, 07:18 PM
This message doesn't really give any hard words on that subject.

I guess you could read the line 'pc users using uplay will have access blablabla' as 'all other consoles have access as soon as the servers go live'

But to be honest, I think this line is more aimed at the word 'Uplay' inclining steam users will have to wait longer before they can play. This is quite common, as Steam has its own release procedures.

PPLB
02-13-2017, 07:22 PM
wait a minute.. we donīt have dedicated servers because p2p is better because then the game is not reliant on ubisoft servers.. but we canīt play without ubisoft servers, which do what exactly?

Eventhough quite off-topic, I'll give you my guess:

Ubiservers are used for handling the log in (checking if software is valid, updating if necessary etc.) and ubiservers will also be used for the war in the main menu, spreading news in the clients (for example that message about a seamless update) etc.
P2P is only used connecting from player to player to get into a virtual room. All other stuff is handled by ubiservers.

awolcz
02-13-2017, 07:26 PM
wait a minute.. we donīt have dedicated servers because p2p is better because then the game is not reliant on ubisoft servers.. but we canīt play without ubisoft servers, which do what exactly?

I guess matchmaking, loot, character customisation, faction war, war assets...

whirly5
02-13-2017, 07:26 PM
p2p only describes the communication process between players in a multiplayer game. your progress, rank, scores, customization, faction wars, matchmakiing, .... this is all done on central servers.

D_cover
02-13-2017, 07:38 PM
So I am assuming by local time it means it will be regional release at midnight for everyone on Uplay?

PPLB
02-13-2017, 07:49 PM
yeah, so no dedicated servers are indeed a cost saving decision.

Most likely, yes.

P2P can be incredibly interesting when you are expecting a lot of users playing the game at the same time. In the end will probably come down to cost saving. Ubisoft, which is a business after all, needs to find a consession in players encountering servers that have free spots, and stable connections.

Let's say you purchase a hundred dedicated servers each costing 10.000 dollars. (blatant guess, but trust me those beasts of dedicated servers are expensive.) . If you could host a hundred 4v4 virtual servers on one host server, that would leave you with 40.000 joinable servers which each hold 8 players.
So taking the 100 * 10.000 dollars, you can hold 320.000 players at one given time. This means you pay 1 milion dollars to let 320.000 players play simultaniously. This would have way too long waiting lines, and the game would fail.
This calculation didn't even think of servers needed for data storage.

Purchasing dedicated servers isn't all the money it takes. You need maintenance, an incredible mathmetical formula to figure out how many servers you need to keep the game stable and still not pay too much, and again more maintenance ( keep in mind mainenance is something that is an ongoing 24/7 thing. that is expensive! )

Besides just the servers they still need money to create the game, pay their developers, support desk employees, general staff, and what not.

Looking at p2p you only need servers to hold data storage (characters, customization, rankings etc.). Even this part needs quite a lot of servers. The costs and player limitations of dedicated servers is replaced with virtual play rooms created by active users. This shortens waiting times, and may cause more unstable connections for a part of the players.
Besides that p2p makes the game go for a long while, since ubisoft doesn't have to reconsider updating dedicated gameservers. Players will always be able to connect on a p2p basis as long as the game itself can be start and is functional.

I don't know how much money a game like this makes, and I don't know how long dedicated servers need support; that is something Ubisoft probably made their best judgement call. A business may be out for money (rightfully so), but that doesn't mean they do that no matter the cost. They carefully think these things through.

PPLB
02-13-2017, 07:51 PM
So I am assuming by local time it means it will be regional release at midnight for everyone on Uplay?

That is exactly what I understand from this message. This goes for all people, except for probably people living extremely east (australia for example), since it's officially the 14th there, and they'll still have to wait. But for europe and america it does seem to be the case! :)

OGL Spade
02-13-2017, 07:51 PM
Official post of confirmed release times

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1576970-For-Honor-Launch-Times

Aidie2005
02-13-2017, 07:52 PM
Nevermind, i see. So i will have to wait till 12 am. All good, another 5 hours wont hurt me xD.

PPLB
02-13-2017, 07:57 PM
Official post of confirmed release times

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1576970-For-Honor-Launch-Times

Thanks! :) that's an extremely clear post.

PPLB
02-13-2017, 07:58 PM
Nevermind, i see. So i will have to wait till 12 am. All good, another 5 hours wont hurt me xD.

haha; breath in, breath out. Staring mindlessly at the clock in the bottom right of my screen for the next 5 hours. I'll manage! :)