PDA

View Full Version : Let us discuss the faction war and a simple solution to the glaring issue.

The D3M0N
02-13-2017, 06:59 PM
Ubisoft wanted this to be a big deal to us...and it is. so, planned worked. but, as people have noticed there's a pretty major issue (and i'm not talking about ubisoft's inability to count the last turn in Open Beta lol):

Faction War is divided up into seasons, each season is 10 weeks long with 5 rounds that are 2 weeks long. Each round is full of, I believe, 6 hour “turns.”

The Problem: each round is very literally decided in the last 2-3 turns. No matter the what is done in the other 260 hours played that round, it can and will still be decided by the last 72 hours. This kinda takes away any desire to really TRY during the majority of the round.

A Proposed Solution: Make the turns count. I’ve thought of several ways to work thru the problem, but the very simplest solution is to count the turns as wins.

The most turn victories wins the round, the most round victories wins the season.

GNASHSAMA
02-13-2017, 07:04 PM
Ubisoft wanted this to be a big deal to us...and it is. so, planned worked. but, as people have noticed there's a pretty major issue (and i'm not talking about ubisoft's inability to count the last turn in Open Beta lol):

Faction War is divided up into seasons, each season is 10 weeks long with 5 rounds that are 2 weeks long. Each round is full of, I believe, 6 hour “turns.”

The Problem: each round is very literally decided in the last 2-3 turns. No matter the what is done in the other 260 hours played that round, it can and will still be decided by the last 72 hours. This kinda takes away any desire to really TRY during the majority of the round.

A Proposed Solution: Make the turns count. I’ve thought of several ways to work thru the problem, but the very simplest solution is to count the turns as wins.

The most turn victories wins the round, the most round victories wins the season.

This whole faction war isn't all about winning. It is about doing all you can to get the biggest rewards at the end of the round. Deploy 900,000 War Assets = Exponentially greater rewards than people who deployed 290,000 in the last 72 hours.

Stop talking about Ubisoft not counting the last turn. Both cases in the past had 2 hours or less left in the remaining round. This time there was four hours remaining, isn't it obvious that they wouldn't count a round that wasn't even half over? Or are you Vikings just good at zerging and being sore losers when it doesn't go your way? The last round doesn't exist.

Brunn_MgAmadd
02-13-2017, 07:10 PM
This whole faction war isn't all about winning. It is about doing all you can to get the biggest rewards at the end of the round. Deploy 900,000 War Assets = Exponentially greater rewards than people who deployed 290,000 in the last 72 hours.

Not everyone plays only for themselves, there are people who like to contribute to something bigger, meaning their factions, and take heart if they faction wins or loses...

XxKILLASEEDxX
02-13-2017, 07:15 PM
I believe the Beta was just that, a test! Sure the devs had their own ideas about what would be awesome, but they needed the community or a neutral party to give constructive feedback to make the best decision.

We likely will see vast improvements in the first patches, making an incomplete title at the time of it's release a complete finished product months after launch.

The D3M0N
02-13-2017, 07:15 PM
Not everyone plays only for themselves, there are people who like to contribute to something bigger, meaning their factions, and take heart if they faction wins or loses...

i think what GNASHSAMA is saying is that the war is decided on who put in the most total war assets thru the entire round. but with ubisoft saying the Knights won the open beta because they had more territories at the end of the round...and the vikings won the close beta cause THEY had more territories at the end of the round...i'm not sure that is correct.

The D3M0N
02-13-2017, 07:16 PM
I believe the Beta was just that, a test! Sure the devs had their own ideas about what would be awesome, but they needed the community or a neutral party to give constructive feedback to make the best decision.

We likely will see vast improvements in the first patches, making an incomplete title at the time of it's release a complete finished product months after launch.

that's what i'm trying to do. offer feedback and a suggestion to consider.

The D3M0N
02-13-2017, 07:19 PM
Stop talking about Ubisoft not counting the last turn. Both cases in the past had 2 hours or less left in the remaining round. This time there was four hours remaining, isn't it obvious that they wouldn't count a round that wasn't even half over? Or are you Vikings just good at zerging and being sore losers when it doesn't go your way? The last round doesn't exist.

it was just a joke (that's why i put "lol" at the end). un-wad your panties lol <---see? also a joke.

GNASHSAMA
02-13-2017, 07:22 PM
i think what GNASHSAMA is saying is that the war is decided on who put in the most total war assets thru the entire round. but with ubisoft saying the Knights won the open beta because they had more territories at the end of the round...and the vikings won the close beta cause THEY had more territories at the end of the round...i'm not sure that is correct.

It wasn't a full round and the outcome isn't exactly what represents how the faction war actually works it was decided by Ubisoft not the current in-game system.

The D3M0N
02-13-2017, 07:23 PM
see below of the open beta round as a figure for the conversation:

http://i.imgur.com/mkF0VSY.png

As you can see, the OB's winner, the knights, only lead at the end of two turns. turn 10...and the last. While the samurai lead 9 rounds...with the vikings leading 3 (it looks like the vikings maybe won round 3? saying yes for the example).

Ex__Machina
02-13-2017, 07:26 PM
my simple solution:

only characters which belong to the faction you chose should count assets

so for example: someone who chose the viking faction chooses an orochi. sorry guy, but those assets you accumulated won't count towards your faction

otherwise it comes down to a review of the forums and twitch to see what the flavor of the week is, then choosing that

plus i mean isn't the idea to see which faction performs the best? how are you representing your faction if you don't even use heroes FROM that faction

GNASHSAMA
02-13-2017, 07:27 PM
it was just a joke (that's why i put "lol" at the end). un-wad your panties lol <---see? also a joke.

You call it a joke. I call it flippancy.

The D3M0N
02-13-2017, 07:28 PM
the glaring issue is that i can´t be bothered to deploy my war assets after each game because it´s to much work for the sense of reward i get from it.

regardless of the quality of reward, this is a competitive game and the faction war is a great idea to keep a competitive spirit among the factions. i, and i think others, would just like to see it perfected a bit more.

The D3M0N
02-13-2017, 07:34 PM
This is not how War works: only who is left standing in the end matters.

partially correct. Wars are won by whoever has compiled the most minor victories in the smaller battles...which, of course, leaves them as the last one standing. :D

GNASHSAMA
02-13-2017, 07:37 PM
Exactly, certainly based on the Open Beta that is not correct.

Did I not state what I meant very clearly? Allow me to capitalize and bold it for you, highlighting the important parts that you should pay attention to, since you all seem to lack the complex thought to actually read what I'm trying to tell you without capitalizing and highlighting for you.

Your END OF SEASON REWARDS will be based on your TOTAL CONTRIBUTIONS towards the FACTION WAR.

If all you do is play in the last 72 hours and have 290,000 War Assets deployed compared to a person with over 1million they will have GREATER REWARDS than you will.

This is not incorrect. This is correct. THIS is my reasoning behind why WINNING the full games FACTION WAR is largely irrelevant.

Sorry, am I thinking too far ahead? Or did you just not read the Faction War details when you started the beta? Also, the beta is a just a preview of faction war and is not an in depth explanation as to how the system works in the full game works. So stop making your worthless assumptions and wait for 8 hours and 22 minutes to find out.

The D3M0N
02-13-2017, 07:40 PM
Did I not state what I meant very clearly? Allow me to capitalize and bold it for you, highlighting the important parts that you should pay attention to, since you all seem to lack the complex thought to actually read what I'm trying to tell you without capitalizing and highlighting for you.

Your END OF SEASON REWARDS will be based on your TOTAL CONTRIBUTIONS towards the FACTION WAR.

If all you do is play in the last 72 hours and have 290,000 War Assets deployed compared to a person with over 1million they will have GREATER REWARDS than you will.

This is not incorrect. This is correct. THIS is my reasoning behind why WINNING the full games FACTION WAR is largely irrelevant.

Sorry, am I thinking too far ahead? Or did you just not read the Faction War details when you started the beta? Also, the beta is a just a preview of faction war and is not an in depth explanation as to how the system works in the full game works. So stop making your worthless assumptions and wait for 8 hours and 22 minutes to find out.

this conversation might be a bit to...level headed for you. i'll have someone message you if we require more attitude ;)

GNASHSAMA
02-13-2017, 07:48 PM
this conversation might be a bit to...level headed for you. i'll have someone message you if we require more attitude ;)

So my words are clearly too far above your head and current level of intellect to even begin to comprehend. Clearly you are a low-class Viking.

GNASHSAMA
02-13-2017, 07:50 PM
Yeah only we were talking about winning and how that is decided and how to make the rounds means something more.
So all the above, which I am sure we all fully understand, is sadly irrelevant.
You are talking about something else.

"The beta is a just a preview of faction war and is not an in depth explanation as to how the system works in the full game works. So stop making your worthless assumptions and wait for 8 hours and 22 minutes to find out."

The D3M0N
02-13-2017, 07:50 PM
So my words are clearly too far above your head and current level of intellect to even begin to comprehend. Clearly you are a low-class Viking.

well. THAT certainly wasn't an improvement lolol

GNASHSAMA
02-13-2017, 07:52 PM
well. THAT certainly wasn't an improvement lolol

You mistake me for somebody with a bad temper and or attitude. I was just trying to be as flippant as you are. But you seem to have taken it the wrong way. It's just a prank bro.

The D3M0N
02-13-2017, 07:55 PM
You mistake me for somebody with a bad temper and or attitude. I was just trying to be as flippant as you are. But you seem to have taken it the wrong way. It's just a prank bro.

well, hell. i'm a fan of you then lol :)

back on topic:

The issue with your point is that ubisoft is not presenting it that way to the players. it's not presented as who has accumulated the most war assets...but who has the most territories.

MagicElmo
02-13-2017, 07:56 PM
This is not how War works: only who is left standing in the end matters.
Only that the Faction War isn't like real war at all and those analogies don't really work here.

Faction War doesn't calculate in that a faction losing territories is also losing important resources and army sizes are shrinking too.
A nation ulosing half it's land is hard pressed and no magic boosts in real wars either. :-)
If we look at the graph, at some point any off the three factions was bottom and received a miracleous boost that brought them on top.

Right now, the Faction War is closer to a sports league with gameweeks than a real war.
With the current system, I believe calculating the average over the full round instead of the last turn would be more fair.

I just wish people would discuss this more calmly. It was just open beta anyway.
And let's see how a full length Faction War will work out and how Ubisoft will keep improving on it. I would like to see more transparancy and more strategic elements.

The D3M0N
02-13-2017, 07:58 PM
But if you lose the battles in the end, all your victories matter not.

They should just give rewards, based on your deployed war assets, at the end of every turn, with a bonus to the winner.

but...if you lost every battle...the chance that you win the war is non-existent. see where i'm going with that? this is why i feel scoring the turns would paint a better picture of the war efforts...

GNASHSAMA
02-13-2017, 08:07 PM
Still irrelevant, not sure why you keep replying with a comment about something totally different, that is totally obvious and totally known by all of us.
Very weird.
Are you going to tell me next there are 12 characters and I can level them up, or that Samurai come from Japan, or that falling off bridges is bad for your health?
What are you even doing?

You don't even have a compelling argument telling me how my points are irrelevant, all you're doing is saying that they're irrelevant. Stop spouting your worthless nonsense and say something worthy of a retort. As it stands, I've already won this argument because you lack the words necessary to stand against me. Reply or don't reply, regardless of your next action you will achieve nothing.

That said, the faction war will likely depend on who won the most rounds and the winner of those rounds has technically won a strategic victory.

x_KingSolomon_x
02-13-2017, 08:07 PM

The fact remains
At the end of that open beta. Vikings had 7 territories taken. They had them at that moment. The fact it wasn't counted makes no sense.

Round over or not at that moment we had the lead. It was an unfair score. And should have been planned to have the turn end 5 or so minutes prior to the beta ending. For a fair score. Instead they ended it at that moment. And refused to count what had been gained and what was lost.

Dip sh*t.

GNASHSAMA
02-13-2017, 08:11 PM
The fact remains
At the end of that open beta. Vikings had 7 territories taken. They had them at that moment. The fact it wasn't counted makes no sense.

Round over or not at that moment we had the lead. It was an unfair score. And should have been planned to have the turn end 5 or so minutes prior to the beta ending. For a fair score. Instead they ended it at that moment. And refused to count what had been gained and what was lost.

Dip sh*t.

YOU CLEARLY HAVE NO IN DEPTH UNDERSTANDING AS TO HOW WAR WORKS.

THE ENTIRE REGION IS A PROVINCE. IT TAKES THE IN GAME TIME OF 6 HOURS TO FULLY CONQUER THAT PROVINCE/REGION.

IF THEY ARE WINNING AT THAT MOMENT, THAT DOES NOT MEAN THE OUTCOME IS DECIDED. THE TURN?! THE TURN HAD 4 HOURS REMAINING.

YOU CALL ME A ******* AND YET DON'T EVEN UNDERSTAND THAT MUCH?!

Back to your hut. Go. Now. Go back to your hut. You lost your raid. Just concede defeat now. Not even worth killing. Killing you would just be a stain on my honor.

GNASHSAMA
02-13-2017, 08:24 PM
You are very odd.
I'm sorry you think this is the verbal equivalent of a 1 vs 1 duel.
I have nothing to retort because you aren't talking about what I am.
I made a post in reply to the OP that has all of my ideas in it, and nothing you have said adds anything, discusses any of it or addresses any of it.
You are not on topic. You can't force me to change to your topic or declare yourself the winner if I don't.
(well, you can, go you? Cookie? /shrug)
You are not talking about what I am taking about, I am not having an argument with you, you are not talking about the same subject as I am.

Very well, with that formal declaration of yourself conceding defeat I will now leave this topic and move on with my life, thanks for the extra win.

Vakris_One
02-13-2017, 08:26 PM
see below of the open beta round as a figure for the conversation:

http://i.imgur.com/mkF0VSY.png

As you can see, the OB's winner, the knights, only lead at the end of two turns. turn 10...and the last. While the samurai lead 9 rounds...with the vikings leading 3 (it looks like the vikings maybe won round 3? saying yes for the example).
Yeah, this pretty much sums up my view towards the Faction Wars mechanic. So we can have a faction that leads 9 whole rounds out of 10 and on the tenth round they can get overtaken by a faction that hasn't been doing well at all throughout but they know how to use the handicap bonus to their advantage, i.e. make a push right at the very end and basically 'steal' the win.

That's a very broken system in my opinion. What's the point of a faction constantly winning those 9 rounds when in reality only the 10th and final round is going to decide the winner? Where's the benefit to the faction that's fought hard to consistently be on top of the others throughout 9 rounds of the war? Seems like a very cheesy mechanic currently. They need to get rid of the rubber banding effect entirely as well as possibly reduce the handicap bonus for factions that are hanging around in last place.

Brunn_MgAmadd
02-13-2017, 08:40 PM
GNASHSAMA You have been off topic the whole thread, u clearly have no understanding on whats being discussed here...

on topic:
i really hope they introduce that score by turn, but with who controls the most territories at last turn gaining a bonus to the score so that feeling of "its the last fight go for it!" still remains-

Braegulfer
02-13-2017, 08:47 PM
GNASHSAMA You have been off topic the whole thread, u clearly have no understanding on whats being discussed here...

on topic:
i really hope they introduce that score by turn, but with who controls the most territories at last turn gaining a bonus to the score so that feeling of "its the last fight go for it!" still remains-

Total provinces won during the war (by round) with the last round counting for double or triple province points towards total conquered?

Brunn_MgAmadd
02-13-2017, 08:48 PM
Total provinces won during the war (by round) with the last round counting for double or triple province points towards total conquered?

something like that yes

Brunn_MgAmadd
02-13-2017, 08:52 PM
maybe like round count single, rounds that end turns double, turn that end season triple

Braegulfer
02-14-2017, 12:51 AM
I'm totally cool with something like that. Samurai got shafted imho (I play Viking).

Aeecto
02-14-2017, 01:24 AM
These damn butthurt vikings.
Seriously, take a closer look at the graph.... nothing has been stolen at all.
Vikings held their line even by splitting warpoints up between samurai and knights or just holding the line against samurai while pushing into knights.
They only managed to win some rounds, because samurais focussed realy hard on beating the knights and ignored vikings most of the time.
Knights pretty much had a lot tougher fight at two frontlines, especially the samurai front.... hence why there is a lot of territory change between these two factions.

Vikings only took the easy path while both other factions actually fought a tough war.... that´s the reason why knights deserved the win at the end!

And i was a Viking by the way!.... just in case before you claim i was a knight.

Bvisi0n.
02-14-2017, 02:04 AM

Okay question that has been bothering me, what if I play a lot but rarely deploy? I will have a big war asset deployed score but a relatively small number of territories defended/attacked counts. (I noticed it counts that aswell)
How will this affect my rewards?
Will the faction winning or losing also have a certain reward or not?
Do rewards only happen when the season concludes or do they also occur when a round concludes?
What are rounds for and how do they affect the ultimate outcome of the season? (I assume that the territories get reset every round)
Where is the article about this?
I'm talking about a full season not the beta's.

Thanks for a reply if you're still monitoring this thread, or anyone else who can answer me.

Vulgorn
02-14-2017, 02:49 AM
YOU CLEARLY HAVE NO IN DEPTH UNDERSTANDING AS TO HOW WAR WORKS.

THE ENTIRE REGION IS A PROVINCE. IT TAKES THE IN GAME TIME OF 6 HOURS TO FULLY CONQUER THAT PROVINCE/REGION.

IF THEY ARE WINNING AT THAT MOMENT, THAT DOES NOT MEAN THE OUTCOME IS DECIDED. THE TURN?! THE TURN HAD 4 HOURS REMAINING.

YOU CALL ME A ******* AND YET DON'T EVEN UNDERSTAND THAT MUCH?!

Back to your hut. Go. Now. Go back to your hut. You lost your raid. Just concede defeat now. Not even worth killing. Killing you would just be a stain on my honor.

Damn, it's been a long time since I've seen a genuine, unironic meltdown on the internet.

http://i.imgur.com/oKJ5x82.jpg

Thanks for that.