PDA

View Full Version : Side Dash Attacks are too powerful

Inconsistent7
02-13-2017, 03:22 AM
Attack: Any offensive maneuver (excluding Guard Break) including unblockables
Guard Break: Self-explanatory
Patience: To block, dodge, deflect or parry

The core of this game's balance revolves around the simple rock paper scissors of
Attack beats Guard Break
Guard Break beats Patience
Patience beats Attack

Obviously, there are many more layers of mechanics, depth and complexity that make it less straightforward than that, but that's the foundation.

A side dash attack consists of a dodge (patience) followed immediately by an attack.
If your opponent attacks into the dodge, they will lose the trade.
If your opponent guard breaks into the attack, they will lose the trade.

On the other hand
If your opponent guard breaks into the dodge, they will win the trade.
If your opponent is patient against the attack, they will win the trade.

On the surface, it seems perfectly balanced and functional, sure.

The problem here is that the dodge is entirely too effective, too efficient, devoid of risk, and TOO EASY to use both proactively and re-actively as a nearly universal defense mechanism.

It doesn't matter if you dodge before, during, or after your opponent's attack. The MAJORITY of the time, the dodge will counter the attack successfully without nearly enough regard for timing or direction.

What this means is that assassins can use the side dash attack both proactively and re-actively without concern (relatively).
In contrast, even an uninterruptible attack doesn't offer the damage prevention of a side dash attack
In contrast, a parry requires both precise timing and directional accuracy.
Sure the reward of parrying properly can be substantially greater than that of a dash attack, but the risk of mistiming a parry is greater BY FAR than the risk of side dash attacking prematurely.

Furthermore. . .

The transition into such a swift attack makes the window of availability for it to be countered by guard break terribly small. Even when I know my opponent is going to use a side dash attack (because all assassins do half the time is spam their dodge attacks), If they use their dash even a quarter of a second before I attempt to counter it with guard break, they will transition into an attack before my guard break resolves. I lose the trade.

Assassins (and Kensei) can spam side dash attacks to their heart's content, denying their opponent the option to play aggressively without any of the effort or skill required to produce the same result with blocks, parries, or standard dodges.

Blocks, parries, deflects, standard dodges, etc. can also punish aggression just as well, but the difference is that they require much more exact timing, directional accuracy, and above all: PATIENCE. None of these things can be done proactively. You MUST wait for your opponent to strike before you can properly utilize any of these tools.

SIDE DASH ATTACKS ARE THE ONLY ATTACKS IN THE GAME THAT CAN POTENTIALLY COUNTER EVERY ATTACK IN THE GAME.

I'm not saying it can't be countered. It isn't exactly breaking the game, but it's toxic in an otherwise respectably skill oriented competitive environment.

Some zone and side attacks have a wide enough arc and/or secondary properties that demand a certain degree of timing of direction from the dodges, and they will succeed against a proactive side dash attack on occasion, but if the side dash is used defensively, it will still win every time.

Guard break will successfully counter the dodge phase of the technique, but the transition into an attack makes that window of opportunity frustratingly small.

Obviously at the end of the day it's an Attack like any other, which is countered by Patience. You can block, parry, dodge, and deflect them like anything else but this translates to you being denied the option play with any degree of agression.
If you're quick, you can even attack into the direction they're dodging AFTER they start their dodge and interrupt their attack but it's up to YOU to keep track of what direction they're dodging, and skillfully place an attack in the small window available. It goes without saying that this falls into the "Patience" category.

I don't blame people for spamming it, because it's a move worthy of spam.
I blame you, Ubisoft, for allowing this to be such a viable tactic.

Sidebar - If you ever think,"This guy is spamming guard break" take a moment to ask yourself, "Am I spamming dodge?"

Robbeeeen
02-13-2017, 03:33 AM
Dodge-attacks lose to feints.

Feint top-heavy, enemy commits to dodge-attack. Ur advantage: you see very quickly where the attack will come from: the direction of the dodge tells you before the red arrow shows you. If they dodge left, they must attack from left. Result: easy to parry.

Pay more attention to where the character dodges to and less on the red reticule and you will have a much easier time vs those attacks.

Sawa963
02-13-2017, 04:26 AM

Feint top-heavy, enemy commits to dodge-attack. Ur advantage: you see very quickly where the attack will come from: the direction of the dodge tells you before the red arrow shows you. If they dodge left, they must attack from left. Result: easy to parry.

Pay more attention to where the character dodges to and less on the red reticule and you will have a much easier time vs those attacks.

This is correct. Most people don't realize that the attack will always come from the same direction as the dodge. It is very easy to parry when people abuse it.

https://youtu.be/QxQIyiqJCrA?t=7m

ReJaCr
02-13-2017, 04:26 AM

This 100%

pongkrit03
02-13-2017, 05:01 AM
In my opinion, it is a bit too powerful but not totally OP. I considered myself as Raider's player (60-70 winrate) but after I switch to peacekeeper, it is like totally boost up. I hardly lose to anyone. Side dodge attack is mostly no risk, if used after enemy's attack animation. BUT, if you use before enemy attack, it will easily get blocked or parried.

Someone said feint to bait side dodge, I have tried while I was playing Raider but it is too risky because you don't know if he gonna attack or side dash attack and even you can successfully feint, most of the time you can only block. You can't parry. The animation is too slow to do so.

Only effective way you can counter side dash attack (at close range) is GUARD BREAK, I have tested it and it worked for Orochi and Peacekeeper. You will catch them before they commit attack after dash. Berserker unfortunately, his special attack comes out too fast. You can only block.

However, using GB to counter side dash needs prediction beforehand. If he already side dash, you can only block.

In my opinion, They should remove i frame of dodge, so you have to dodge at the right direction (opposite of enemy attack direction).

Inconsistent7
02-13-2017, 06:30 PM

I feel like you guys are just skimming through my post and making a half-assed response without realizing that what you're saying is redundant and irrelevant to the point I'm making.

The very first thing I said is that Patience beats Attack. There is no attack that can't be defended against if you are properly Patient.

Yes, I know you can feint to bait out side dashes if your opponent falls for it.

Yes, I know you can parry them, I specifically said that in my post.

That's not the issue.

The issue is that these are ATTACKS that counter every other ATTACK in the game. The result is that if you and your opponent attack at the same time, you will always lose. This FORCES you to be Patient (Dodge, block, parry, etc.) with very little effort on their behalf. THAT is the problem.

Obviously if you just sit around and play defensively you can counter any and everything offensive in this game. People that abuse side dashes can do this much more easily than classes that are forced to rely on parrys instead, and they can do it proactively IN ADDITION to doing it re-actively.

Please actually read my post in its entirety before you give your 2 cents.

I know how to stop them. Of course they can be easily stopped.
That doesn't change the fact that the dodge is entirely too effective, too efficient, devoid of risk, and TOO EASY to use both proactively and re-actively as a nearly universal defense mechanism.

It doesn't have to break the game to be overpowered when compared to similar tools.

Robbeeeen
02-13-2017, 06:41 PM
I feel like you guys are just skimming through my post and making a half-assed response without realizing that what you're saying is redundant and irrelevant to the point I'm making.

The very first thing I said is that Patience beats Attack. There is no attack that can't be defended against if you are properly Patient.

Yes, I know you can feint to bait out side dashes if your opponent falls for it.

Yes, I know you can parry them, I specifically said that in my post.

That's not the issue.

The issue is that these are ATTACKS that counter every other ATTACK in the game. The result is that if you and your opponent attack at the same time, you will always lose. This FORCES you to be Patient (Dodge, block, parry, etc.) with very little effort on their behalf. THAT is the problem.

Obviously if you just sit around and play defensively you can counter any and everything offensive in this game. People that abuse side dashes can do this much more easily than classes that are forced to rely on parrys instead, and they can do it proactively IN ADDITION to doing it re-actively.

Please actually read my post in its entirety before you give your 2 cents.

I know how to stop them. Of course they can be easily stopped.
That doesn't change the fact that the dodge is entirely too effective, too efficient, devoid of risk, and TOO EASY to use both proactively and re-actively as a nearly universal defense mechanism.

It doesn't have to break the game to be overpowered when compared to similar tools.

Why is it a problem? It forces you to play patiently against an aggressive archetype. Isn't that kind of the aim of having different classes with different skillsets?
It's not a completely risk-free mechanic and if punished properly it is quite severe. High risk, high reward. Good design.

Inconsistent7
02-13-2017, 07:22 PM
Why is it a problem? It forces you to play patiently against an aggressive archetype. Isn't that kind of the aim of having different classes with different skillsets?
It's not a completely risk-free mechanic and if punished properly it is quite severe. High risk, high reward. Good design.

Because it isn't just aggression. It's probably the most effective form of defensive aggression in the game and its entirely too easy to use.

They should be punished for mistiming and misdirecting their dodges more often. They shouldn't be able to just mindlessly throw dodges whenever and however they feel like and only be punished for it if their opponent is decidedly patient.

One simple, skill-less attack shouldn't be able to counter every other attack in the game (including itself) with minimal effort.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be able to do what it was does, but god damn it shouldn't be so easy.

Mr.MokMok
02-13-2017, 07:42 PM
Think of it this way, guys. In all other forms of defense, you have to time a parry in order to respond with damage. Dodge is much more forgiving than a parry and guarantees damage on those who have dodge attacks.

You can even dodge the wrong freaking direction and avoid dmg and secure your own because of iframes.

VanBaal42
02-13-2017, 07:50 PM
This is correct. Most people don't realize that the attack will always come from the same direction as the dodge. It is very easy to parry when people abuse it.

https://youtu.be/QxQIyiqJCrA?t=7m

But didn't hit the nobushi's dash+ heavy on the oppsite side?

NiceBoatUS
02-13-2017, 07:52 PM
Because it isn't just aggression. It's probably the most effective form of defensive aggression in the game and its entirely too easy to use.

They should be punished for mistiming and misdirecting their dodges more often. They shouldn't be able to just mindlessly throw dodges whenever and however they feel like and only be punished for it if their opponent is decidedly patient.

One simple, skill-less attack shouldn't be able to counter every other attack in the game (including itself) with minimal effort.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be able to do what it was does, but god damn it shouldn't be so easy.

If it's reactive, it isn't aggression. Dodge attacks into neutral opponents are easy to hard-counter.

Unlike parrying, dodging is healthy. You can mindgame your opponent with feints to punish it. A dodge is a maneuver that forces the defending player to commit.
You can't mindgame someone who parries and then cancels in case you feint. He's always neutral and ready to take you on. It's a defense with guaranteed damage if the attacking player commits that doesn't require the defending player to commit.

Mr.MokMok
02-13-2017, 08:13 PM
If it's reactive, it isn't aggression. Dodge attacks into neutral opponents are easy to hard-counter.

Unlike parrying, dodging is healthy. You can mindgame your opponent with feints to punish it. A dodge is a maneuver that forces the defending player to commit.
You can't mindgame someone who parries and then cancels in case you feint. He's always neutral and ready to take you on. It's a defense with guaranteed damage if the attacking player commits that doesn't require the defending player to commit.

When dodging, are equal to the vulnerability of someone who misses a parry and cancels. (Maybe even less depending on the spacing, honestly.)

You aren't forced to attack after the dodge if they feinted. That's an additional error on par with the defender in the parry scenario not cancelling their heavy when they parried thin air.

So once again, a dodge just becomes an easy mode parry and punish for chars with dodge strikes.

NiceBoatUS
02-13-2017, 08:36 PM
Well yeah, you're probably right. But then again if it's a dodge without an attack, the game resets back to neutral - and, at the very least, dodging can't be done ad infinitum due to stamina costs. But it probably doesn't matter all that much since you can just regenerate it by looking manacing and threatening to parry.

Peligrad
02-13-2017, 09:04 PM

This isn't true.

It is possible to dodge left and attack from right. Seen both Kensei and Orochi do this.

Brave_Thunder
02-13-2017, 09:06 PM
Those kind of attacks are the ones that distinguish the assassin class from the others.Just like a conqueror forces you to be patient for his great defense and shield bash,an assassin has to relie upon his speed and his fast attacks.Take the pk for example:she can dodge and hit with a heavy, which is easy to block or parry,since it will always come from the direction of her dodge.This is made exactly to reward the player that understand this tactic,allowing him to get a parry and free damage.Every hero has his own combos and strat:you can't aspect to play always aggressive/passive and win everytime.

TeoHTime
02-13-2017, 10:02 PM
You aren't forced to attack after the dodge if they feinted.

You haven't tried this have you. Side dodge attacks like Orochi or Kensei side light only trigger if you press the attack button immediately after dodging. You cannot dodge, wait, and hit attack at the end to do the side dash attack, you'll simply be doing a dodge followed by a light. You also cannot feint those attacks, and for those reasons these attacks are a commitment. Commitments are bad in this game, because defence is so strong, so throwing these attacks around is a bad option in higher level play.

You'll realise once you've seen them enough times that a random side dash attack is simply a free parry. They are visually distinct because of the dashing animation, slower than lights, only come from a set direction, and can't be cancelled. This is free damage for anybody comfortable with the game. The exception is a side dash attack done in response to a particular committed attack on reaction, as a punish.... but that's a suboptimal punish, because if you can react to a committed attack then you should be parrying it which will lead to more damage in nearly all cases.

This isn't true.

It is possible to dodge left and attack from right. Seen both Kensei and Orochi do this.

Kensei dash attack hits in the opposite direction to their dash direction. They don't have an option to do it in a different direction, it always hits the same way. Orochi doesn't have the option of doing Zephyr slash in a different direction, they always attack to the side they dodge to.

Peligrad
02-13-2017, 10:18 PM
I suspected that about Kensei. None-the-less the quoted text is false.

But I can also tell you that I've seen Orochi dash to a side and attack the opposite direction. It does look differently than zypher strike though so it is possible that it is just two separate actions that were chained together very fluently by a skilled player with extremely fast Orochi light attacks. The Orochi high level bot does this a lot as well.

Mr.MokMok
02-13-2017, 10:47 PM
You haven't tried this have you. Side dodge attacks like Orochi or Kensei side light only trigger if you press the attack button immediately after dodging. You cannot dodge, wait, and hit attack at the end to do the side dash attack, you'll simply be doing a dodge followed by a light. You also cannot feint those attacks, and for those reasons these attacks are a commitment. Commitments are bad in this game, because defence is so strong, so throwing these attacks around is a bad option in higher level play.

You'll realise once you've seen them enough times that a random side dash attack is simply a free parry. They are visually distinct because of the dashing animation, slower than lights, only come from a set direction, and can't be cancelled. This is free damage for anybody comfortable with the game. The exception is a side dash attack done in response to a particular committed attack on reaction, as a punish.... but that's a suboptimal punish, because if you can react to a committed attack then you should be parrying it which will lead to more damage in nearly all cases.

Kensei dash attack hits in the opposite direction to their dash direction. They don't have an option to do it in a different direction, it always hits the same way. Orochi doesn't have the option of doing Zephyr slash in a different direction, they always attack to the side they dodge to.

You absolutely have a moment before committing to the attack while dodging, particularly with kensei who has a very long dodge animation.

Nobody said you could feint those, we were talking about reacting to a feint. That's the context I think you're missing.

We aren't discussing random side dash attacks.

It's suboptimal only if you're a flawless computer. In human terms, it's a better move because it carries less risk, easier to execute, and has the benefit of iframes. That's what OP laid out and the point of the discussion.

BOlonaro
10-02-2018, 09:04 AM
Why is this even a discussion, dash atacks are cheap and well rewarding, whilst countering them is hard and complex. I mean, to dash atack you only have to press two buttons, to counter these two actions you have to feign an atack, parry the dash atack (fallible) and then light atack. There is actually no reason to not use the dodge atack, and it completely breaks the flow of dominion. If you are your team's good player, you will have to patiently feign an atack and hope your opponent falls for it, which might take a while.
The suggestion to have it so that you must dash away from the atack to be able to hit the enemy is great, since it adds complexity to the move, even if a little. and then maybe my hero's sword won't phisically hit the target but no damage be done.
I litterally verified my account just to comment on this, it's how garbage i think the move is, me and my friend are both assassin classes, he is an orochi, and immediately noticed how cancerous his atack was. this is just a testament to how urgently this needs changing.

JKnu_teCH
10-02-2018, 05:01 PM
Not true with kensei,i`ts the opposite with him,also it`s a heavy.Very easy to bait cause he can`t cancel dash attacks.

BOlonaro
10-03-2018, 05:36 AM
I disagree, Kensei, PK, Orochi are good examples of dash atack spam, so far i've only played against kenseis who use this, their dash atacks are slower but the root of the issue is still the same. In duels it would be fine, but it completely breaks the flow of other gamemodes, I can't afford to take my time to kill a single guy, the punishment for countering this strategy is a measly light atack, you have to do it some 5+ times just to get rid of these spammers. It needs more risk to it, right now it's very low risk and very high reward.

It's really cheap stuff, and pretty much a universal counter, and these 2 phrases shouldn't mix. I don't think there should be a damage reduction or a delay on how much time it takes to hit, but either a higher penalty for being countered or an addition to how complex the move is.

Trenk2009
10-03-2018, 08:43 AM
You explained your point very well.

However, by totally forgetting the "feint" factor of your equations, it's pretty much a waste of time.

Until the 16 of October, no hero will be able to cancel there dodge attack; and even after that date, only 2 will be able to.
Until then, your complaint is unreceivable: dodged attacked are balanced.

AramenThePiper
10-03-2018, 09:44 PM
The only problem I have with dodge attack is that they are slowly becoming heavy parries, which lowers the risk of them, since dodge attack parry nets you a lot less damage as a punish.

BOlonaro
10-04-2018, 07:08 AM
"You explained your point very well.

However, by totally forgetting the "feint" factor of your equations, it's pretty much a waste of time.

Until the 16 of October, no hero will be able to cancel there dodge attack; and even after that date, only 2 will be able to.
Until then, your complaint is unreceivable: dodged attacked are balanced. " - I've no clue on how to foward someone's text

What ?
I just had a match with 4 kenseis and orochis, they were all spamming this ****, it's pretty annoying still, i also don't get what you said
I mean how does one take the feint out of the equation ? It's the only means of countering this stuff Unless you wait for an atack. Which isn't a very solid strat

AramenThePiper
10-04-2018, 04:59 PM
Also I forgot to mention that the delay in the dodge make dodge attacks VERY annoying and turtly.
Meaning that, if I do something, my opponent has the time to dodge, CHECK what my next action is and react with either a dodge attack, breaking my guardbreak, or just leave the dodge fly if I'm not doing anything.
What would fix this very annoying thing? Make all dodge attacks light attacks and eliminate the delay into the dodge in which they can select what to do.

Inzzane_79
11-06-2018, 01:59 PM
"You explained your point very well.

Until then, your complaint is unreceivable: dodged attacked are balanced. " - I've no clue on how to foward someone's text

What ?
I just had a match with 4 kenseis and orochis, they were all spamming this ****, it's pretty annoying still, i also don't get what you said
I mean how does one take the feint out of the equation ? It's the only means of countering this stuff Unless you wait for an atack. Which isn't a very solid strat

Go into Training mode, pick Orochi as Opponent, set the Orochi to spam dodge-attack. LEARN TO PARRY IT!!!!!
After that do the same for Kensei

Rain-Dragon
11-06-2018, 07:26 PM
Attack: Any offensive maneuver (excluding Guard Break) including unblockables
Guard Break: Self-explanatory
Patience: To block, dodge, deflect or parry

The core of this game's balance revolves around the simple rock paper scissors of
Attack beats Guard Break
Guard Break beats Patience
Patience beats Attack

Obviously, there are many more layers of mechanics, depth and complexity that make it less straightforward than that, but that's the foundation.

A side dash attack consists of a dodge (patience) followed immediately by an attack.
If your opponent attacks into the dodge, they will lose the trade.
If your opponent guard breaks into the attack, they will lose the trade.

On the other hand
If your opponent guard breaks into the dodge, they will win the trade.
If your opponent is patient against the attack, they will win the trade.

On the surface, it seems perfectly balanced and functional, sure.

The problem here is that the dodge is entirely too effective, too efficient, devoid of risk, and TOO EASY to use both proactively and re-actively as a nearly universal defense mechanism.

It doesn't matter if you dodge before, during, or after your opponent's attack. The MAJORITY of the time, the dodge will counter the attack successfully without nearly enough regard for timing or direction.

What this means is that assassins can use the side dash attack both proactively and re-actively without concern (relatively).
In contrast, even an uninterruptible attack doesn't offer the damage prevention of a side dash attack
In contrast, a parry requires both precise timing and directional accuracy.
Sure the reward of parrying properly can be substantially greater than that of a dash attack, but the risk of mistiming a parry is greater BY FAR than the risk of side dash attacking prematurely.

Furthermore. . .

The transition into such a swift attack makes the window of availability for it to be countered by guard break terribly small. Even when I know my opponent is going to use a side dash attack (because all assassins do half the time is spam their dodge attacks), If they use their dash even a quarter of a second before I attempt to counter it with guard break, they will transition into an attack before my guard break resolves. I lose the trade.

Assassins (and Kensei) can spam side dash attacks to their heart's content, denying their opponent the option to play aggressively without any of the effort or skill required to produce the same result with blocks, parries, or standard dodges.

Blocks, parries, deflects, standard dodges, etc. can also punish aggression just as well, but the difference is that they require much more exact timing, directional accuracy, and above all: PATIENCE. None of these things can be done proactively. You MUST wait for your opponent to strike before you can properly utilize any of these tools.

SIDE DASH ATTACKS ARE THE ONLY ATTACKS IN THE GAME THAT CAN POTENTIALLY COUNTER EVERY ATTACK IN THE GAME.

I'm not saying it can't be countered. It isn't exactly breaking the game, but it's toxic in an otherwise respectably skill oriented competitive environment.

Some zone and side attacks have a wide enough arc and/or secondary properties that demand a certain degree of timing of direction from the dodges, and they will succeed against a proactive side dash attack on occasion, but if the side dash is used defensively, it will still win every time.

Guard break will successfully counter the dodge phase of the technique, but the transition into an attack makes that window of opportunity frustratingly small.

Obviously at the end of the day it's an Attack like any other, which is countered by Patience. You can block, parry, dodge, and deflect them like anything else but this translates to you being denied the option play with any degree of agression.
If you're quick, you can even attack into the direction they're dodging AFTER they start their dodge and interrupt their attack but it's up to YOU to keep track of what direction they're dodging, and skillfully place an attack in the small window available. It goes without saying that this falls into the "Patience" category.

I don't blame people for spamming it, because it's a move worthy of spam.
I blame you, Ubisoft, for allowing this to be such a viable tactic.

Sidebar - If you ever think,"This guy is spamming guard break" take a moment to ask yourself, "Am I spamming dodge?"

Seems you spent more time writing this than you did actually playing the game.

MatsumotoXIII
11-09-2018, 02:32 PM
YY sure. And what to do when oponent just wait on ur attack then he use sidestep attack? When i play duels, everyone just wait on attack to block/parry/side it. Thats rly sad ... Noone want fun. Everyone just play most easy champ to spam.

SnizzyWizzy
11-10-2018, 07:13 AM
JUST FEINT BRO!! it will crush dodge attacks. think of the dodge attacks as just another heavy attack or something. they can dodge attack or just simply dodge. Feint it more and the opponent won't rely on them anymore. If your getting hit by these your just giving these free to your opponent.

Blitzwarrior771
11-11-2018, 07:37 PM
not really heavy with a dodge gets blocked and parried and because u lost stamina u screwd after . This move works only on low skill levels .

antpunisher
11-14-2018, 05:58 PM
Kensei attacks from the opposite side of where he is side dashing while while also having the ability to deflect the attacks of the direction of his travel when dodging. while there is a parry window the kensei can do it early or later towards the end of his deflect window, even though i know the move its still very hard to parry