PDA

View Full Version : A 100% fair match is...

O2357
02-12-2017, 11:54 AM
Only a duel of two identical characters can be really fair (plus maybe in a LAN with 1m cable length). No other situation can ever be 100% fair. How can you ever say "ability A of character X" equals out "ability B of character Y"? How would you say whether (fictional example) "50 damage" is fairer than "51 damage" compared to movement speed or armor or health pool or any other ability?

You simply can't tell what's "fair" or "balanced out" when you have DIFFERENT characters fighing each other (most likely in any game). No matter how sophisticatedly the devs try to balance them out. I exclude something like "double the health pool of character A while doubeling the damage output of character B while everything else is 100% identical.

Just sayin'

Blankhere
02-12-2017, 01:47 PM
If you want 100% fair your going to have to clone a person, let them spend the exact same amount of time on the game while playing the same character. Balance and fairness never go together because balance is based on rules and fairness is decided by god. For an example, guard breaking someone is guaranteed a light attack, but in an unfair situation a guard break can turn into something insane because of tricking your opponent with a feint heavy into a parry into a free heavy attack.

Vakris_One
02-12-2017, 04:18 PM
What's the point of this thread? Fairness between fighters in For Honor is akin to a sport like boxing - the game gives you characters with different movesets and tactics and makes sure none of you can use illegal cheats. That's fair.

Much like boxers have different training, tactics and techniques and put those to the test up against their opponent. The rules of the sport make sure that they compete on a level playing field, i.e. no drugs, no nails in the gloves, no spitting in the eyes, etc

100% fairness does not exist and never will unless we get two totally identical robots to fight each other.

SethUnleashed
02-12-2017, 04:46 PM
if you want a guarantee, buy a toaster :P

thats why we talk about balance and not fairness in general.

O2357
02-12-2017, 05:02 PM
I'm just talking about the environment the devs provide for the players, not the training time of a person. And indeed, balance is the better word. When two characters with different movesets and other differing features fight each other, then even the devs can't provide 100% balance. The highest degree of balance/fairness exists, when two identical characters fight each other.

Because there's plenty of "X is OP", "nerf this and that" in these forums, I wanted to mention that there can't exist 100% balance/fairness between two characters with different properties and abilities.