PDA

View Full Version : Dominion Strategy?

LightofBaldur
02-12-2017, 11:50 AM
People seem to think dominion mode is just a deathmatch. I stood and defended my teams zone the whole match and kept us with the same amount of points as the other team, while my team just kept running to the middle to meet them in combat. They never once tried to capture the other teams zone that was completely undefended while they were all busy continuously fighting in the middle.

I didn't leave our zone until we had 1000 hard points so that any kills I got while trying to revive and/or capture their zone to reverse my team from breaking wasn't for nothing. In the end we lost with my score at the end around 700-800 and their scores all at 70 to 100. Then I get hate mail from my team member saying I'm the reason we lost. When in actuality I
was the only reason we even had points to begin with. Our zone would have been captured several times from the enemy if I hadn't been defending it and doubling our points gained a second.

I don't know all the best strategies or anything but constantly running into the middle to meet the other team head on is definitely not a good one. You need to capture and defend zones you can't just claim your zone then take off because then it's just going to get taken right back from you. Killing the other team means nothing until your score hits 1000. Stay away from zone B unless you see everyone busy fighting over other zones then go smack some grunts around for some quick points. If you just want to kill people you can play elimination; dominion is more about strategy and defense. Just going after the other team is not going to win you the match.

Maybe people can post some dominion strategies for new players. That way they don't think the heavy earning them their points is costing them the match for not following them into blind 4 vs 4 combat. I'd like to see some more strategy involved in dominion. Every once in awhile I'll play with or against people who seem to know what the game mode is about, but more often than not people play like it's a free for all. It's just basically elimination with respawns right now.

Tallion828
02-12-2017, 12:32 PM
Finally, someone that gets it!

You are 100% correct. I'm in the same position as you. I get to a zone and defend it while everyone else just runs around fighting. And I end up top of the leaderboard. Go figure lol

Once we hit 1000 points, I go in search of the enemy.

Stankyfoot
02-12-2017, 02:42 PM
I can't even tell you how many games I've lost where I've been able to get the better of everyone of my opponents and still get SHREDDED in Dominion because they were well coordinated while my team was spastic as ****.

Conversely I has one game where both of our teams had two players a piece communicating with each other. These two Warlords (with the same emblem) would just hunt me mercilessly as a duo, effectively keeping me from holding or catching zones or killing other players. No problem though, I just kept escaping and then harassing them while mentioning to my partner that I had effectively given us a constant one-man advantage. I ended up going 2-2 in the match but the opposing team got demolished on points, it wasn't even competitive.

Chrobus
02-12-2017, 03:55 PM
Thought there was a guide for dom on the forums somwhere?

This is the whole reason I like playing with at least one other person in my party. Just a little bit of communication just shut down a zerging team. Sadly I've only had two matches this whole weekend where the enemy team hasn't done that. People need to realize that if they zerg, they will lose unless the opposing team is completely incompetent.

Gethseme
02-12-2017, 08:04 PM
There is one MAJOR thing that I will mention. If you have someone with the Body Count passive (Killing enemy soldiers grants health and stamina. Warden and Kensei have it at level 1, and IIRC at least Conq gets it at level 5, might be more classes that can get the passive at 3 or 5), that person should stay at B most of the game and farm soldiers, both for points and renown. Body Count both gives limitless stamina, and can serve as a free heal between fights that break out in point B.

Other than that, yes, the one of the other 3 should be sitting at A or C, the other 2 either trying to capture the 3rd node OR playing firemen putting out the fires in any zone left open.

LightofBaldur
02-13-2017, 04:44 AM
I was thinking maybe a good strategy would be having a heavy camp in your zone. Then have two vanguards running to B to mostly distract the enemy and to back up their zone if their heavy is getting outmatched. Then have a forth assassin character constantly running to their zone and either capturing it if it's unprotected or running around a lot and dodging to keep it contested to stop the enemies' points. Also depending on the map and side you are on some zones have a great view of everything going on. So, your heavy could call out enemies positions like a scout.

feuerundblut
02-13-2017, 04:51 AM
Well as a PK, I tend to run a lot to capture other points. I usually end up being the one with the highest numbers of captured objectives by the end of a match. But basically, PK was created for that purpose. If you are playing a heavy though, that makes perfect sense to play that way obviously.

Karma_Ghost
02-13-2017, 05:38 AM
If your team is coordinated enough to fight group battles effectively (i.e. one person guard breaking while another attacks), only holding B is a viable strategy. Each soldier you kill is 1 point and control gives 1 point per .75 sec vs A or C 1 per 1 second (2 boosted). Enemy heroes that come to contest are worth 5 a piece. Assuming your team mates are using zone attacks and wiping the soldiers quickly, control of B can gain points faster than boosting A and C. The only thing that's a potential threat is wide AoE feats like catapults and fire flask.

SethUnleashed
02-13-2017, 05:59 AM
agreed...

been preaching this since day one myself, but people rather run around like headless chickens chasing low-health enemies into the middle of nowhere.

killing a player gives what? 5 or 10 points ... boosting a zone gives 2 points PER SECOND ...

so effectivly, i kill an enemy hero every 5 seconds (or less) and i have yet to see any player match that kind of actuall kill-rate.

most of the games i end up being first on the scoreboard by a huge margin too as you get a good number of kills defending AND you get points for boosting too.

but yeah, people seem to love their deathmatch mode :)

Karma_Ghost
02-13-2017, 06:03 AM
The deathmatch thing in dominion should be less of a problem at launch since they'll have access to skirmish mode (actual deathmatch).

AlerionKnight
02-13-2017, 06:32 AM
Here is a short guide I made on Dominion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPyyCXcpwAY