PDA

View Full Version : Kensei: Tips for Countering Unblockables?

Sir--Gawain
02-12-2017, 09:50 AM
Hey folks,
So I'm finding quite often that an enemy Kensei (or a team of 3 or 4 of them) are incredibly hard to beat, even if all they do is hold up and spam R2. Kensei has a whopping THREE unblockable combos that are incredibly easy to pull off— he doesn't stagger when you block him, so there is no time to interrupt or dodge since the person who blocks is the one who gets staggered, and his sword has an incredibly long range.
What am I missing? Is there some function that improves the dodging so you actually move more than a few inches? I know overheads should be dodgeable, but the Kensei's unblockable overhead also has really hard tracking. And what about side sweeps? his sword is too long to dodge backward, and the sweep is too wide to dodge side to side. You can't interrupt with a guard break, either. So is there some obvious thing I'm missing, or is Kensei just ridiculously overpowered?

RezonNeo
02-12-2017, 10:03 AM
Parry his R2 swings. His combo will stop. Go do your advance tutorials.

SethUnleashed
02-12-2017, 10:36 AM
i have done a lot of testing against the kensei yesterday and i have seen 2 things so far:

the kenseis attack-tracking seems too good ... trying to dodge his chain attacks is, depending on which side they come from, harder than timing a deflect, which is just not right

unblockables are NOT deflectable (this is true for all unblockables, not just kensei) but i always tried to deflect his top-heavy as its rather slow, but yeah -> doesnt work and its never explained if this is intended or a bug.

Egotistic_Ez
02-12-2017, 02:02 PM
You can dodge it, you just have to wait until it's closer to landing. Most people dodge the moment it starts glowing and have technically finished by the time it starts its actual attack animation.

You can also parry, but the window is smaller since it's an unblockable.

I find the easiest way is to just punch him in the face with a light attack. It's unblockable, not uninterruptible.

Arekonator
02-12-2017, 03:06 PM
Small question regarding the kensei unblockable
I play warden and i can parry it no problem (unless i mistime it because how long windup it has), but it seems i can not use my crushing top counter aganist it. Is that how it works or i am simply doing it wrong? Also, do you think its intended or not?

Vakris_One
02-12-2017, 04:02 PM
Hey folks,
So I'm finding quite often that an enemy Kensei (or a team of 3 or 4 of them) are incredibly hard to beat, even if all they do is hold up and spam R2. Kensei has a whopping THREE unblockable combos that are incredibly easy to pull off— he doesn't stagger when you block him, so there is no time to interrupt or dodge since the person who blocks is the one who gets staggered, and his sword has an incredibly long range.
What am I missing? Is there some function that improves the dodging so you actually move more than a few inches? I know overheads should be dodgeable, but the Kensei's unblockable overhead also has really hard tracking. And what about side sweeps? his sword is too long to dodge backward, and the sweep is too wide to dodge side to side. You can't interrupt with a guard break, either. So is there some obvious thing I'm missing, or is Kensei just ridiculously overpowered?
Kensei only has one unblockable attack - the top 3rd heavy strike and two unstaggerable attacks - left or right 3rd heavy strike. Unstaggerable means he won't stop his attack if he gets hit. You can however block his unstaggerable attack.

The unblockable attack can only be initiated as long as the Kensei finishes the 3rd strike in any combo as a top heavy strike. Keep in mind that guardbreaks count as the first part of a combo - meaning he only has to do a second strike and then he can go for the unblockable.

What you can do against the unblockable:
● You can parry it
● You can side dodge it if you time it right
● If you have a fast character you can hit him with a light attack and that will disrupt his unblockable

What you can do to prevent him from doing the unblockable:
● Block his combo before he gets to it
● Try to dodge or counter his guardbreaks

What you can do against side sweeps:
● block them - if he dodges to the left, guard to your right. If he dodges to the right, guard your left side. The attack comes from the opposite direction of his dodge.
● dodge them - if he dodges to the left and you dodge to the right his blade will miss you if you got the timing right. Vice versa: if he dodges right, you should dodge left to avoid his side sweep. This also works against the Orochi's side sweeps and the Raider's unblockable swing that always comes from his right side. It's all about getting the timing right.

Altair_Snake
02-12-2017, 05:10 PM
Also, I think the second light of his chain, the thrust, can be dodged in any direction. Not I've tested or got good at it.

Some nice tips, here.

Sir--Gawain
02-12-2017, 05:38 PM
Kensei only has one unblockable attack - the top 3rd heavy strike and two unstaggerable attacks - left or right 3rd heavy strike. Unstaggerable means he won't stop his attack if he gets hit. You can however block his unstaggerable attack.

The unblockable attack can only be initiated as long as the Kensei finishes the 3rd strike in any combo as a top heavy strike. Keep in mind that guardbreaks count as the first part of a combo - meaning he only has to do a second strike and then he can go for the unblockable.

● You can parry it
● If you have a fast character you can hit him with a light attack and that will disrupt his unblockable

● block them - if he dodges to the left, guard to your right. If he dodges to the right, guard your left side. The attack comes from the opposite direction of his dodge.
● dodge them - if he dodges to the left and you dodge to the right his blade will miss you if you got the timing right. Vice versa: if he dodges right, you should dodge left to avoid his side sweep. This also works against the Orochi's side sweeps and the Raider's unblockable swing that always comes from his right side. It's all about getting the timing right.

Thank you, this is very well-thought-out. I'll keep trying the dodges, I'm just used to games like Dark Souls where you move A LOT more when you dodge, not the tiny sidesteps that this game seems to have. I'll give that another shot and try to improve parry timing.

TouchFluffyTail
02-12-2017, 06:48 PM
Good kensei juse use unblockable after they slammed you in a wall, any unblockeable in open spaces its a secure bait, kensei can cancel it anytime and go for a throw or light attack so dont try to parry it you will eat the bait.

MidnightVanilla
02-12-2017, 07:20 PM
Hey folks,

You can backwards dodge the top attacks and side dodge the side attacks. You can also Parry the unlblockable moves and counter it. Heavy attack at the right time will parry any unblockable move (that isnt a grab) Kensie is really easy to fight against he just hits hard but very predictable.

I-Daniel
02-12-2017, 09:14 PM
You can backwards dodge the top attacks and side dodge the side attacks. You can also Parry the unlblockable moves and counter it. Heavy attack at the right time will parry any unblockable move (that isnt a grab) Kensie is really easy to fight against he just hits hard but very predictable.

That's the problem with him my main is Kensei but the problem is its easy to defend againts him its not that hard.Dodge or just parry his heavys he need combat change.

Arekonator
02-12-2017, 10:06 PM

● You can parry it

● dodge them - if he dodges to the left and you dodge to the right his blade will miss you if you got the timing right. Vice versa: if he dodges right, you should dodge left to avoid his side sweep. This also works against the Orochi's side sweeps and the Raider's unblockable swing that always comes from his right side. It's all about getting the timing right.Can you please confirm whether or not the wardens top crushing counter works aganist kensei unblockable? Because my experience say it does not, but i just want to have it clarified.

Vakris_One
02-13-2017, 12:35 AM
Can you please confirm whether or not the wardens top crushing counter works aganist kensei unblockable? Because my experience say it does not, but i just want to have it clarified.
I've never tried it myself I'm afraid and I've never had it used on me when facing Wardens so I don't know if it works or not. Good question though.

fariic
02-13-2017, 01:39 AM
You can dodge it by jumping backwards. The overhead heavy attack is slow enough you shouldn't get hit if you jump backwards. If you dodge to the side you'll get hit.

AlphaCounterGod
02-13-2017, 02:29 AM
Being a kensei main myself i would say that it depends on which character your playing. If your the conq then his shield interrupts chains. so the kensei would have a problem executing his unblock able. Not sure if the warlord does the same.

TouchFluffyTail
02-13-2017, 03:48 AM
That's the problem with him my main is Kensei but the problem is its easy to defend againts him its not that hard.Dodge or just parry his heavys he need combat change.

Or you can learn to feint, no kensei or good player would be spamming heavy attacks same goes vs dodges, bait the dodge with a feint and then parry + dash grab, 100% secure side heavy or top unblockeable if you smash them in a wall.

if a kensei its doing unblockeables in a open space then its a bait or its a really bad kensei, anyway dont take the risk and just dodge backward if you dodge to sides kensei can cancel the unblockeable and get a free hit or worse parry you dodge attack.

Butler96
02-13-2017, 07:11 AM
I have not seen this mentioned, so I will mention it now.

The Kensei can switch the direction of his unblockable during the startup, turning it into a combo finishing heavy side or light side. It is not a cancel really, as all it takes is to switch guard and attack, not a feint cancel.
I rarely, if ever, see any other Kensei use this, but it is amazing as a side heavy will hit anyone trying to side dodge and can even hit a slower character on his back dodge. Since his side heavy finishers can not be interrupted, it means that anyone trying to interrupt your overhead with a light attack will get hit, so you trade a heavy for a light attack. Very useful.
I use this all the time after a throw if I can see the opponent does not have enough space to dodge backwards.

Geekthulhu
03-06-2017, 12:10 PM
I think that it is complete garbage that his unblockable can track you if you dodge at the beginning.

No other unblockable works that way. If Shugoki charges the moment he begins the animation you dodge... It doesn't hit you... Why should Kensei's be so different?

I have been having this trouble all night with Kensei's tracking me as I dodge... So now that I know... I have to wait to dodge, which is kinda BS.

Allyrion8
03-06-2017, 01:41 PM
I think that it is complete garbage that his unblockable can track you if you dodge at the beginning.

No other unblockable works that way. If Shugoki charges the moment he begins the animation you dodge... It doesn't hit you... Why should Kensei's be so different?

I have been having this trouble all night with Kensei's tracking me as I dodge... So now that I know... I have to wait to dodge, which is kinda BS.

Almost all R2 unblockables work like this. Raider's and Shugoki's charged R2 will absolutely track unless you wait till the swing reaches the widest part of its arch.

Why shouldn't it be like this? Unblockables are slow and easy to parry as it is while also causing the character to lose most of their stamina when that happens. It also takes a combo for Kensei to get to his unblockable unlike the other two characters, though he can circumvent that with a grab (which counts as part of a combo).

Still the only time the unblockables work well against anyone that can parry is if you slam them against a wall.

Peligrad
03-06-2017, 05:06 PM
Yup... unblockables become a lot less powerful as you get higher in skill level.

The fact that they can be parried and are slower than other attacks makes them easy to punish unless you set them up with a wall stun first or if your opponent is exhausted in which case you can feint them and if your opponent goes for a parry he can't feint and you can parry him for a knock-down.

Unblockables are way over-valued in kits IMO. The only character in the whole game which is competitively viable and has an unblockable attack is Shugoki. The Raider and Kensei are hugely over-taxed in the rest of their kit just because they have an unblockable attack.

Ubisoft clearly did not know how this game was going to play out when they designed their characters. And they have failed totally and shamefully to see the writing on the wall through their tech testing, alphas, and betas.

As a result you have a couple kits stuffed full of power (Warden, Warlord, PK), a couple one trick ponies, and a handful of heroes that just have no niche in the game at all at the competitive levels.

PKUSUB
03-06-2017, 08:03 PM
Hey folks,

i play a kensei, and the unblockable hit is a top attack, which can easily be parried (since its slow af) or simply dodge left or right. BUT, if u r thrown against a wall, the hit is pretty much guaranteed.

i would just simply dodge it man, and avoid having ur back against a wall.

suboptiml
03-07-2017, 06:28 PM
You can dodge it by jumping backwards. The overhead heavy attack is slow enough you shouldn't get hit if you jump backwards. If you dodge to the side you'll get hit.

It can be dodged to the side as well, but it takes some timing. You have to be a bit patient and wait for it to proceed into the animation a bit. If you dodge immediately on its startup animation, it will track you.

DreadfulLord
03-08-2017, 08:37 AM
I have a rep 1 kensei, played mainly through duel and 2vs2. I'm not a pro but I notice that kensei player can actually have a small delay in each hit to catch opponent off guard, especially when doing a 3 hit super armor finisher.